Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong 11:05 - Dec 27 with 11407 viewsunstableblue

Here’s my thoughts:

1) Having just watched the 9min+ highlights, it was an even more exciting game and an even better Town performance than I remembered. I think I got caught up in some negative thoughts as their team were of such high quality and they were ripping us on their left with abandon early stages. But that second half especially we played some excellent stuff, numerous players went up a gear from the first half - Davis and Clarke come to mind

2) Leicester were very good at times and in passages of play. They have numerous players who for me could play in a top 8 Premier side. It shows the level we need to aspire to - and our attacking options for one, compared to theirs are so much weaker. But McKenna ball and our culture gives us such a difference engine. We just need more quality. Mavididi, Ndidi, and Dewsbury-Hall have such technical ability but also such pace and strength. I thought Faes was outstanding - but I thought he needed to be as Burns was giving him one hell of a game.

3) The atmosphere has been discussed already. It was poor first half, but I think that reflected nerves at how good Leicester were playing at times. Interesting to note someone saying ‘that’s how town fans are’… well around me at the Norwich EVERYONE was going mental, and in that second half last night the same thing briefly happened as Town Turned the screw and the energy was flowing. I did note Chaplin cupping his ear on numerous occasions and trying to fire up the North Stand - for me he was stating “we’re doing it on the pitch here, now back us” - and the Lower North did fire up. But the North Stand is a problem this season.

4) Mavididi and the left side were a problem for the first half and start of the second. Clarke pulls into a back 3, to release Davis on the other side. Leaving the Leicester winger acres and Burns was staying high, to be fair quite effectively. The goal is unstoppable though, I don’t think Hladky was at fault. There are few players in the league who can score that. But crucially Clarke improved and teamed better with Wolfenden. And for me Clarke is improving week in week out. Stick with him. He was excellent like Wolfenden in bringing the ball out. Wolfenden was superb last night.

5) Attacking quality is an issue, we had a hell of a lot of dangerous moments around their box last night. Ridiculous number of shots. But we are just a short in depth and quality. I actually think Jackson caused them a lot of problems, but can’t see him hitting the back of the net. Hirst loss is a blow as he frees Chaplin and supplies him. Hutchison did some great stuff. Ladapo had moments. Broadhead was both brilliant and frustratingly error strewn. We need January business - but I still think we can get goals in the must win game on Friday. Can we play Broadhead and Harness?? Is there a role for Ladapo.

6) Belief in ourselves last night was pivotal - we went into our shell, started playing the simpler easier ball, when Leicester dominated. But we got our belief back - Harness for one was beating players, Taylor too. I thought those two showed that whilst they don’t have £30m price tags they can cut it. If we’d lost and got outplayed like at Elland Road in the second half, I think would have really knocked the season. But McKenna is a genius and he sets the culture we need. This could be a pivotal game in the season. Need to now get three points against QPR and get the ground rocking again.

COYB. What a season. What a manager. What a team. Best season since the Burley years by far.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 11:10]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Whooooa… on 17:45 - Dec 27 with 1567 viewsunstableblue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:13 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

"but I thought he needed to be as Burns was giving him one hell of a game."

I'm absolutely baffled by this forum sometimes.

Loads of posts about Jacksons lack of ability
People moaning about Clarke covering for a midfielder who wasn't tracking a player
Yet Leicester fullback given a hell of a game by Burns - how the feck was he exactly? Burns ran into him about 5 times. I believe you once said Broadhead was patchy, which I agreed with and at present he still is. But can't believe the continued gushing over another attacking player who did absolutely nothing of note last night. He had an option to put it on a plate for jackson, found the first defender instead

I'm literally gonna leave it there with Burns after last nights game as it's just gonna bore people again, but I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1 as he's painful to watch in this league.

Does every reply from some have to be like the OP has made an awful comment about their mother? Rather a view on a football match or player - So belligerent

It’s really tiring

It’s a football forum for goodness sake. Try and be a bit more friendly in 2024 - we’re all Town fans aren’t we?

Coming to Burns, have you watched the 9min highlights? Because there are numerous good moments from Burns, one lovely bit of skill to get past that full back. And for me Burns has been improving again. Early corner, good cross for Davis. Great run central to release Morsy. He should have done better on a cross from Davis. But Faes got ahead of him.

Just remember Feas came through at Anderlecht, has a full Belgium cap, and coat £15m of French top division side Reims. Burns cam from English third tier Fleetwood Town!

Just my opinion.

Broadhead was definitely patchy again, but for me last night it was the mix of the very good, and then the ball just getting tangled around his feet. He’ll come good.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 17:55]

Whooooa… on 18:13 - Dec 27 with 1509 viewsFrimleyBlue

Whooooa… on 17:45 - Dec 27 by unstableblue

Does every reply from some have to be like the OP has made an awful comment about their mother? Rather a view on a football match or player - So belligerent

It’s really tiring

It’s a football forum for goodness sake. Try and be a bit more friendly in 2024 - we’re all Town fans aren’t we?

Coming to Burns, have you watched the 9min highlights? Because there are numerous good moments from Burns, one lovely bit of skill to get past that full back. And for me Burns has been improving again. Early corner, good cross for Davis. Great run central to release Morsy. He should have done better on a cross from Davis. But Faes got ahead of him.

Just remember Feas came through at Anderlecht, has a full Belgium cap, and coat £15m of French top division side Reims. Burns cam from English third tier Fleetwood Town!

Just my opinion.

Broadhead was definitely patchy again, but for me last night it was the mix of the very good, and then the ball just getting tangled around his feet. He’ll come good.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 17:55]

Yes I have

Firstly the game isn't just 9 minutes.

But also as you've mentioned that bit of skill. As great as that was.. he lost the ball before that and the chance had almost gone again. If were gonna look at the positives you've got to accept the negatives. Imo that davis cross that burns missed out on I feel personally he had more interest in shoving faes off the ball more than getting a foot on the ball but that's just my personal opinion.

And again I don't care where wes came from or where other players come from. No one else gets the same level of treatment. Remember Jackson didn't come from a top side etc. No one uses that in any defence of Jackson.

I completely agree with your reply in this post tho. Of all posters I'm certainly going to be one to begrudge you making a comment about a player. I just find the continued blind love of a player as I said strange when others don't get the same support. I just wish if people are happy to say players are patchy etc the same should be done for all having those issues and not just basing their views on past seasons or how many miles are run in a match.

Anyways off for a Chinese now. So enjoy your evening

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 18:56 - Dec 27 with 1468 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:13 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

People moaning about Clarke covering for a midfielder who wasn't tracking a player
Yet Leicester fullback given a hell of a game by Burns - how the feck was he exactly? Burns ran into him about 5 times. I believe you once said Broadhead was patchy, which I agreed with and at present he still is. But can't believe the continued gushing over another attacking player who did absolutely nothing of note last night. He had an option to put it on a plate for jackson, found the first defender instead

I'm literally gonna leave it there with Burns after last nights game as it's just gonna bore people again, but I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1 as he's painful to watch in this league.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I'll ask again - do the amount of downarrows you get for your Burns posts (probably in the hundreds by now) ever make you think you might actually be the one who's wrong, not everyone else?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:06 - Dec 27 with 1445 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 18:56 - Dec 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I'll ask again - do the amount of downarrows you get for your Burns posts (probably in the hundreds by now) ever make you think you might actually be the one who's wrong, not everyone else?

Nope.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:28 - Dec 27 with 1408 viewsKropotkin123

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:22 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

I meant I wasn't going to get into another to and throw about him.

Priskin scored a goal v arsenal. Doesn't mean he was the best in the world so no. I'm not just gonna like a player for a certain goal as good as it was.

You literally said...

I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1

I literally said...

He literally scored our best goal in this league.

I literally inferred...

If he literally scored the best goal for us in this league, people are literally going based their opinions on contributions that they literally witnessed this season, such as that.

No one literally said...

He was literally the best in the world.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 19:32]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:37 - Dec 27 with 1384 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:28 - Dec 27 by Kropotkin123

You literally said...

I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1

I literally said...

He literally scored our best goal in this league.

I literally inferred...

If he literally scored the best goal for us in this league, people are literally going based their opinions on contributions that they literally witnessed this season, such as that.

No one literally said...

He was literally the best in the world.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 19:32]

He's scored 3 goals on 20 games. Sorry but that's not enough for me. If you think one excellent goal in that is enough that's fine that's for you and others to feel. But in response I mainly get but he's scored 20 odd etc etc. Hence my comment about league 1. Imo again. 3 goals 1 assist in his position isn't good enough. But again no need to go through it all over again.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:52 - Dec 27 with 1369 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:28 - Dec 27 by StokieBlue

Agenda driven rubbish.

Burns was very good, especially first half and was a real threat against a defender with caps for Belgium. He got numerous balls into the box including one on the first minute which was begging to be put away.

If you think you're baffled by the forum spare a thought how everyone else feels reading your utter drivel.

SB

Although regarding that cross Chappers seemed to agree with Frimmers.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 19:57]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 20:08 - Dec 27 with 1333 viewssotd78

Are you really a blue?

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Login to get fewer ads

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 20:38 - Dec 27 with 1306 viewsKropotkin123

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:37 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

He's scored 3 goals on 20 games. Sorry but that's not enough for me. If you think one excellent goal in that is enough that's fine that's for you and others to feel. But in response I mainly get but he's scored 20 odd etc etc. Hence my comment about league 1. Imo again. 3 goals 1 assist in his position isn't good enough. But again no need to go through it all over again.

I literally didn't ask for your opinion of Wes Burns contribution, so you literally didn't have to go through it all over again.

I didn't say, suggest, or think 1 exceptional goal "is enough". It is an illustration that he has made contributions this year, in this league, that people will consider beyond his contributions last year.

What do you want as an alternative? A list of every time he has stretched a defense in a game, giving more space for others? A list of every time he has made a pass that others have allowed others to make an assist. You think Chaplin's 8 assists are because he is a masterful playmaker? Or others, such as Burns, have done the hard work before his final pass?

You've been slagging him for a year and you made another stupid exaggeration. Even when he was doing well last season, you disrespectfully called him whackaball.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 20:41]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 20:42 - Dec 27 with 1296 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:21 - Dec 27 by NthQldITFC

Harness was quite creative actually, more so than usual, in his balls round the corner and taking defenders on. Burns is a constant threat to the opposition, and as well as his pace has great strength on the ball and surprising power in the air too, as well as strength in the tackle which often leaves opponents on their arses.

I truly admire your more or less ever-present politeness with posters who deride your point of view on Burns, but I have to say that I do agree with them. I think you've turned a few minor negatives about a certain player (almost all players have a few negatives) into a rather tedious crusade for some reason.

Harness was MOTM....and that's me agreeing with GB so it must be true.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:01 - Dec 27 with 1241 viewsWicklowBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 20:42 - Dec 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

Harness was MOTM....and that's me agreeing with GB so it must be true.

Indeed I thought Harness did really well, was positive on the ball all night and ran his legs off.

He was a walking red card for about ten minutes and I thought he should have been hooked earlier.

I don't want to be a downer on Broadhead as he clearly is a skillful player, maybe over playing the ball a bit in 1:1 situations and trying to over complicate things to get an extra touch? 🤔
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:13 - Dec 27 with 1212 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 20:38 - Dec 27 by Kropotkin123

I literally didn't ask for your opinion of Wes Burns contribution, so you literally didn't have to go through it all over again.

I didn't say, suggest, or think 1 exceptional goal "is enough". It is an illustration that he has made contributions this year, in this league, that people will consider beyond his contributions last year.

What do you want as an alternative? A list of every time he has stretched a defense in a game, giving more space for others? A list of every time he has made a pass that others have allowed others to make an assist. You think Chaplin's 8 assists are because he is a masterful playmaker? Or others, such as Burns, have done the hard work before his final pass?

You've been slagging him for a year and you made another stupid exaggeration. Even when he was doing well last season, you disrespectfully called him whackaball.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 20:41]

Bless you. Again I used the term once to describe how he goes about shooting and crossing. And again posters have used it more than I have.

And I still stick by it anyway. He uses his laces majority of the time. It's great when it comes off as it's powerful but there's no skill in it. It's a % game. And as said lately most go off target due to the lack of composure. If you want to do lists feel free. But maybe acknowledge his weaknesses rather than Just concentrating on some of the plus points that you get with any attacking player playing his role.

Here's the difference. I appreciate. Agreed and acknowledge what he is good at. But you and others refuse to acknowledge his negatives. If you did you'd agree with the wackaball tag you brought up.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:37 - Dec 27 with 1174 viewsSwansea_Blue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:01 - Dec 27 by WicklowBlue

Indeed I thought Harness did really well, was positive on the ball all night and ran his legs off.

He was a walking red card for about ten minutes and I thought he should have been hooked earlier.

I don't want to be a downer on Broadhead as he clearly is a skillful player, maybe over playing the ball a bit in 1:1 situations and trying to over complicate things to get an extra touch? 🤔

That was his best game this season imo, and I don’t say that lightly as I don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough normally!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:44 - Dec 27 with 1162 viewsYallop2

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:13 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Bless you. Again I used the term once to describe how he goes about shooting and crossing. And again posters have used it more than I have.

And I still stick by it anyway. He uses his laces majority of the time. It's great when it comes off as it's powerful but there's no skill in it. It's a % game. And as said lately most go off target due to the lack of composure. If you want to do lists feel free. But maybe acknowledge his weaknesses rather than Just concentrating on some of the plus points that you get with any attacking player playing his role.

Here's the difference. I appreciate. Agreed and acknowledge what he is good at. But you and others refuse to acknowledge his negatives. If you did you'd agree with the wackaball tag you brought up.

Equally you should stop being such a tool and recognise the likes of Millwall, Coventry, Middlesbrough and Norwich and acknowledge when he's played a major part in our success.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 23:29 - Dec 27 with 1098 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:44 - Dec 27 by Yallop2

Equally you should stop being such a tool and recognise the likes of Millwall, Coventry, Middlesbrough and Norwich and acknowledge when he's played a major part in our success.

Major Part ?
I knew him when he was just a private.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 23:50 - Dec 27 with 1073 viewsBigCommon

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:57 - Dec 27 by BlueBadger

Weird. It thought you devil-may-care anti wokists were all for bantz?

It's the season of good will....
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 00:24 - Dec 28 with 1042 viewsKropotkin123

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:13 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Bless me? Haha. As if you are sincerely trying to patronize me, when you fail to engage with the point over multiple posts.

You made an exaggeration and I called you out on that point and that point alone. Since then you have tried to widen the scope beyond that point. He has made contributions this season and to not acknowledge that is stupid.

I don't care if you are sticking by a point that I haven't argued against. Do you stick by your exaggeration?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 3:17]

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 06:58 - Dec 28 with 1001 viewsChurchman

Excellent OP. I agree with most of it. I do think Lladky might have done a bit better with the goal, though tbf it was a terrific hit.

With regard to a certain poster’s comment on Burns, I think he’s an interesting player who looks better live than he looks on tv. Ok, a peculiar thing to say, but he constantly gets into positions opposition players don’t like with or without the ball. The only thing that could be better in my view is his final ball which can be a bit hit and miss. I think he’s a real asset.

So is Clarke who has a great attitude and is improving. He does get exposed at times but much of that seems to be down to the way we play. The answer? I don’t know. Given where we are in the table and how exciting we are to watch, maybe it’s a risk we have to live with.

The games against Leeds and Leicester in particular have told us a lot about where we are. The quality of the players you pointed out and some of the Leeds players really showed.

What we have done this season, given the resources at our disposal compared to them and the other parachute teams, has been remarkable. It’s given us a real platform to develop the team further either in January or the summer.

We obviously have a real chance of getting out of this division this season, but if we don’t I won’t be too disheartened. Our progress has been amazing on and off the field and that’s the main thing. It’s all good.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 07:33 - Dec 28 with 978 viewsPioneerBlue

Enjoyed reading your post. I would add to your final comments:
What a season. What a manager. What a team. Best season since the Burley years by far.

I think last season was up there too based on recency bias and personal enjoyment of games at PR, the experience these days, last season and this is a different level, I love the way new club fans have come out in their thousands and brought a more positive vibe. I’ve never seen the pioneer bounce like it did at the end of last season (and again recently on derby day).

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 08:16 - Dec 28 with 939 viewsNthQldITFC

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 23:29 - Dec 27 by Portmanteauxcurling

Major Part ?
I knew him when he was just a private.

Did you? After his next promotion he was posted to the guardhouse and got heavily into spanking.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 08:41 - Dec 28 with 911 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 00:24 - Dec 28 by Kropotkin123

Bless me? Haha. As if you are sincerely trying to patronize me, when you fail to engage with the point over multiple posts.

You made an exaggeration and I called you out on that point and that point alone. Since then you have tried to widen the scope beyond that point. He has made contributions this season and to not acknowledge that is stupid.

I don't care if you are sticking by a point that I haven't argued against. Do you stick by your exaggeration?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 3:17]

Yes as its no exaggeration

For his position he should be doing better than 3 goals 1 assist

People, defend burns alot and bring up his past figures, which imo mean nothing when we are talking about this season.

It's funny though, a new thread posted this morning shows a solid team attacking phase, it ends with a burns cross which comes to nothing, just another attacking opportunity lost.

If to go on your reasoning we should be happy with his overall contribution so far this season alone, then the likes of Jackson and ladapo should get the same credits, but they don't. Remember this isn't about running, defending, those things wes is good at, its end product and doing things with the ball.

Oh and not patronising you, was just sweet to see another poster bring a description of Burns up again which again has been used more by posters like yourself than me.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 10:17 - Dec 28 with 799 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 08:16 - Dec 28 by NthQldITFC

Did you? After his next promotion he was posted to the guardhouse and got heavily into spanking.

I was surprised that he ever got promoted. I always thought he was a bit of a d1ck

Burns and Clarke have something on 11:22 - Dec 28 with 807 viewsunstableblue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 06:58 - Dec 28 by Churchman

Excellent OP. I agree with most of it. I do think Lladky might have done a bit better with the goal, though tbf it was a terrific hit.

With regard to a certain poster’s comment on Burns, I think he’s an interesting player who looks better live than he looks on tv. Ok, a peculiar thing to say, but he constantly gets into positions opposition players don’t like with or without the ball. The only thing that could be better in my view is his final ball which can be a bit hit and miss. I think he’s a real asset.

So is Clarke who has a great attitude and is improving. He does get exposed at times but much of that seems to be down to the way we play. The answer? I don’t know. Given where we are in the table and how exciting we are to watch, maybe it’s a risk we have to live with.

The games against Leeds and Leicester in particular have told us a lot about where we are. The quality of the players you pointed out and some of the Leeds players really showed.

What we have done this season, given the resources at our disposal compared to them and the other parachute teams, has been remarkable. It’s given us a real platform to develop the team further either in January or the summer.

We obviously have a real chance of getting out of this division this season, but if we don’t I won’t be too disheartened. Our progress has been amazing on and off the field and that’s the main thing. It’s all good.

Agree about Burns, and it’s not just the positioning, it’s his strength. He was in beast mode against Southampton at St Mary’s - winning the duels, really physical.

We saw against West Brom, Watford and Leicester that these parachute sides have real physicality, and whilst we’ve held our own apart from West Brom, Burns and Clarke in our team stand out as having that physical presence, able to force opposition players off the ball or shield the ball.

Burns and Clarke have something on 11:38 - Dec 28 with 746 viewsPinewoodblue

Burns and Clarke have something on 11:22 - Dec 28 by unstableblue

Agree about Burns, and it’s not just the positioning, it’s his strength. He was in beast mode against Southampton at St Mary’s - winning the duels, really physical.

We saw against West Brom, Watford and Leicester that these parachute sides have real physicality, and whilst we’ve held our own apart from West Brom, Burns and Clarke in our team stand out as having that physical presence, able to force opposition players off the ball or shield the ball.

Ndaba also has that ability. Kilmarnock have been playing him in a midfield 5

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:30 - Dec 28 with 687 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

"I used the term once".

You little liar.

"there's no skill in it"

Why do you continue to post on a subject you're so evidently clueless about?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024