Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker seems to be the consensus 04:03 - Nov 21 with 10249 viewswkj

After reading through a number of posts it seems the most reoccurring position we're thinking about is strikers - possibly replacing Ladapo who has probably been one of the softer performers this season.

So, with January being a seller's market and no indication of how much is in the kitty - who do you think might be targets or even who would you like to see as targets. Have an attempt at keeping it realistic, as much as I would love to see Mbappe, Haaland, Júnior or Fati rocking up at PR

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Striker seems to be the consensus on 13:37 - Nov 21 with 2124 viewsVaughan8

Of course a striker who scores loads of goals is great.

However where are we going to get this player from who presumably will be someone who can play in the Premier League if that is our target and an improvement on what we had.

Anyone like that is probably going to cost a lot of money especially in January. Maybe a really good loan may be the answer.

We did well last January transfer window so hopefully another one.
We're signing Haaland? on 13:39 - Nov 21 with 2115 viewsDyland

Striker seems to be the consensus on 11:22 - Nov 21 by SomethingBlue

Scandinavia probably the best market as they'll be in pre-season. Proficiency in English would perhaps help too given McKenna's previous comments about settling in. Norway pretty fertile ground at the moment and most of the players there are physically up to it.

Nice one. Could be a vital cog in the race for top six.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Striker seems to be the consensus on 13:43 - Nov 21 with 2095 viewsjayessess

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:14 - Nov 21 by cbower

12 months ago nobody had heard of the lad Ferguson at Brighton yet McKenna was very interested as reported by Phil. Weeks after the Jan window closed, he was banging in goals in the Premier League and gaining rave reviews. I'm sure they'll be looking for someone of that ilk this year and we're far more of an attractive proposition this year.

It's great that we identified Ferguson as having ability, but it's incredibly rare to find teenagers ready to rip it up in the Championship. As it stands there are only two teenagers in the top two divisions who have more than 2 goals this season - Ferguson and Jobe Bellingham. That's it.

As it stands, we have the only teenage striker in England good enough to get an U21 cap and he's so good that we're debating who else we need to sign.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Striker seems to be the consensus on 14:11 - Nov 21 with 2045 viewstractorboy1978

Striker seems to be the consensus on 12:53 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

That's not really addressing the context though.

We are going to struggle to find someone who adds the assists he does whilst still scoring. Such a player is going to cost 15m or something.

Using a linear projection (not unreasonable in this instance) then Hirst is on track for 12 goals and 15 assists. I'd take that from a CF in our formation and style. Realistically I think that could easily be inverted to something like 15 goals and 10 assists by the end of the season, I think he has it in him to get that return and more.

SB

There are players out there, you just have to find them. Swansea picked up Piroe for £1m. Middlesbrough picked up Akpom for £2.75m, Coventry picked up Gyokeres for £1.5m.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 14:16]
Striker seems to be the consensus on 14:24 - Nov 21 with 2005 viewsHerbivore

Striker seems to be the consensus on 14:11 - Nov 21 by tractorboy1978

There are players out there, you just have to find them. Swansea picked up Piroe for £1m. Middlesbrough picked up Akpom for £2.75m, Coventry picked up Gyokeres for £1.5m.

Feel the market has shifted a bit in the last 12 months though. Last year we were able to outgun Championship sides in January to pick up Broadhead for £1.5m. This summer you had the likes of Simms and Cannon moving to the Championship for £7.5m apiece. They're a bit younger and arguably have more upside than Broadhead but it feels like after a few flat years the Championship transfer market is more vibrant again.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Striker seems to be the consensus on 14:47 - Nov 21 with 1962 viewstractorboy1978

Striker seems to be the consensus on 14:24 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

Feel the market has shifted a bit in the last 12 months though. Last year we were able to outgun Championship sides in January to pick up Broadhead for £1.5m. This summer you had the likes of Simms and Cannon moving to the Championship for £7.5m apiece. They're a bit younger and arguably have more upside than Broadhead but it feels like after a few flat years the Championship transfer market is more vibrant again.

I think that is generally true re UK based players although there will always be players that are undervalued with the right attributes that the right manager (i.e McKenna) can get the best out of. Hirst is a perfect example of that himself. Looking further afield than the UK, there will certainly be players out there in that £2m-£5m bracket that would be an improvement on/on par with Hirst.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 14:50 - Nov 21 with 1952 viewsGeoffSentence

Striker seems to be the consensus on 11:07 - Nov 21 by OldFart71

Freddie is a handy player,but just felt against Palace he looked lost. Not that the defeat can be put on him as most of the team was off their game that night and it was basically a second 11. Should we get promoted a player in the mould of Morsy is needed as when he's not available he's sadly missed. Probably another fullback and centre forward. As for centre back the jury is out until all options are given a proper go at it. I like Baggott hugely and am surprised he seems to have been pushed back in the pecking order. He was one of the few against Palace that looked calm and assured.

Palace?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Striker seems to be the consensus on 15:18 - Nov 21 with 1906 viewsStokieBlue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 14:11 - Nov 21 by tractorboy1978

Once again though you're not applying context.

All those players were bought around 4 years ago. Scouting will have improved from other clubs this increasing competition and prices have gone up.

Hirst at 1.5m was a bargain because he only wanted to come here. I don't doubt there are bargains out there but highlighting 3 transfers from all the strikers bought in 4+ years if anything shows how difficult it is to find these players.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Striker seems to be the consensus on 15:46 - Nov 21 with 1880 viewstractorboy1978

Striker seems to be the consensus on 15:18 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

Once again though you're not applying context.

All those players were bought around 4 years ago. Scouting will have improved from other clubs this increasing competition and prices have gone up.

Hirst at 1.5m was a bargain because he only wanted to come here. I don't doubt there are bargains out there but highlighting 3 transfers from all the strikers bought in 4+ years if anything shows how difficult it is to find these players.

SB

Of course it isn't easy (I never said it is) but it is very doable and that's what Ashton needs to deliver. It won't cost us £15m to find someone better/on par with Hirst.

Some truth in what you say re Hirst for sure but ultimately he was £1.5m because other Championship clubs didn't really fancy him or want to offer Leicester more than that. That's the kind of find we need to pull off again in January.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 15:57 - Nov 21 with 1850 viewsReusersTown

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:31 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

How many of those comments are based upon traditional thinking, where a team feeds the ball to the striker, who then scores the goals? That creates an expectation of what a good performance looks like.

But it's not how we currently play. Centrally, if breaking the offside trap is not an option, the ball goes to the hold-up man, who brings others into play for the actual scoring. Gets around the problem of having to turn in a tightly-packed penalty area, or having to send the ball wide and back in again to be in front of those running in on goal (the latter being blockable by organised defenders).

Consequently, goals are spread out around almost the whole team. Which, in turn, reduces vulnerability to injury or loss of form. We can't lose our key goalscorer if there isn't one. Very notably, it has had far from a bad effect on our ability to get the ball in the net. Could this be an innovation like Tika Taka or Ramsey's use of 4-4-2?

I'm not convinced that a striker is absolutely top of the ITFC shopping list for January. Tho the philosophy is always to improve positions where we can.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 9:32]

I also 100% think striker is top of this list like many others and think you're possibly misunderstanding why. We clearly score enough goals, it's just not an issue, the reason we need one is because we are one injury away from not being able to develop the syle of play you have described. As Ladapo is quite plainly not up to it. Isn't just a blind lust for more striker goals.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 16:35 - Nov 21 with 1806 viewsacj

Striker seems to be the consensus on 11:18 - Nov 21 by tractorboy1978

I wonder if we might see our first signing from abroad under GC (discounting Celina who had played in the UK/here before). There really aren't any domestic stand out names to me. If we are where we are now in January, signing someone like Bishop would be a bit silly for me, unless we think he would possibly be suitable for the Premier League, which is doubtful.

Let’s go really exotic and look at the South American market …

John Kennedy from Fluminense

& while we’re at it, Valentin Barco from Boca Juniors (not a striker, but this boy is going to be a properly elite player).

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Striker seems to be the consensus on 16:51 - Nov 21 with 1786 viewsLeoMuff

Striker seems to be the consensus on 16:35 - Nov 21 by acj

Let’s go really exotic and look at the South American market …

John Kennedy from Fluminense

& while we’re at it, Valentin Barco from Boca Juniors (not a striker, but this boy is going to be a properly elite player).

Barco £8m release clause and interesting Liverpool, Kennedy dropped last year for indiscipline. Neither sound likely..

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Striker seems to be the consensus on 17:06 - Nov 21 with 1761 viewsacj

Striker seems to be the consensus on 16:51 - Nov 21 by LeoMuff

Barco £8m release clause and interesting Liverpool, Kennedy dropped last year for indiscipline. Neither sound likely..

Kennedy was rehabilitated following his off-field issues a year ago and brought back into the fold. Scored the winner in the Libertadores final (South America’s champions league equivalent) just a couple of weeks ago.

With kids like him that grow up in favelas, Brazilian clubs usually try to work on rehab rather than throwing them under the bus after they make mistakes as teenagers. He’s got a great career ahead of him.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Striker seems to be the consensus on 18:04 - Nov 21 with 1707 viewsMK1

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:33 - Nov 21 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

In:

Sam Szmodics (Blackburn)
Adam Armstrong (Southampton)
Ben Cabango (Swansea)
Jacob Greaves (Hull City)

If we signed those 4 we would probably go up, but it would cost us a fair whack.

Potentially Out:

Dominic Ball
Sone Aluko
Kyle Edwards (depending on the loan terms)
Gassan Ahadme (as per Edwards)

Players that I can see leaving further ahead:
Lee Evans
Freddie Ladapo
Kayden Jackson
Nick Hayes
Janoi Donacien
Corrie Ndaba
Panutche Camará
Idris El Mizouni
Tete Yengi

You are giving your age away there.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 18:14 - Nov 21 with 1697 viewsMK1

Striker seems to be the consensus on 11:10 - Nov 21 by Kieran_Knows

I do wonder if we'll go back for Colby Bishop in January as well ... had 2 bids rejected in the summer as Portsmouth were asking for silly money.

His value has gone up, what with them being top.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 18:31 - Nov 21 with 1682 viewsStokieBlue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 15:46 - Nov 21 by tractorboy1978

Of course it isn't easy (I never said it is) but it is very doable and that's what Ashton needs to deliver. It won't cost us £15m to find someone better/on par with Hirst.

Some truth in what you say re Hirst for sure but ultimately he was £1.5m because other Championship clubs didn't really fancy him or want to offer Leicester more than that. That's the kind of find we need to pull off again in January.

I read somewhere it was 1.5m because he made it very clear to Leicester he wanted to come to Ipswich and wouldn't consider going to any other club.

Leicester clearly thought he was worth more than that to extend his contract on good wages like they did so getting relegated along with him wanted to come here created the perfect circumstances to get him here on an amazing deal.

I think we need to manage some expectations if we are expecting something like that to happen every window.

SB
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 18:37]

Striker seems to be the consensus on 19:16 - Nov 21 with 1642 viewstractorboy1978

Striker seems to be the consensus on 18:31 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

I read somewhere it was 1.5m because he made it very clear to Leicester he wanted to come to Ipswich and wouldn't consider going to any other club.

Leicester clearly thought he was worth more than that to extend his contract on good wages like they did so getting relegated along with him wanted to come here created the perfect circumstances to get him here on an amazing deal.

I think we need to manage some expectations if we are expecting something like that to happen every window.

SB
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 18:37]

If another club offered £3m, Leicester wouldn’t have let him come here for £1.5m, regardless of what he wanted.

If we want to move forwards as a football club then we need to incrementally improve the squad, that’s the reality. A striker is priority number one as it stands. There’s plenty of middle ground between Hirst and £15m players.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 19:48 - Nov 21 with 1602 viewsbournemouthblue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 05:15 - Nov 21 by MK1

I know people will say that we are looking at better now, but I still think Aaron Collins would score and create a lot of goals in our front line.

I really liked the look of Aaron Collins, I assume he could probably play as a winger or a number 10 as well?

I was surprised to see him lower down in the League One charts this season

Hopefully McKenna already has some players in mind, we were strongly linked with Evan Ferguson last season for example before getting Hirst instead

I imagine he'd be too expensive but Sinclair Armstrong at QPR looked very exciting, he'd definitely be the sort of hot prospect you'd like to pick up if promoted

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Striker seems to be the consensus on 20:00 - Nov 21 with 1578 viewsVegtablue

Striker and CM please, I think we're one injury away from a headache in both positions.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 20:08 - Nov 21 with 1568 viewsjayessess

Striker seems to be the consensus on 19:48 - Nov 21 by bournemouthblue

I really liked the look of Aaron Collins, I assume he could probably play as a winger or a number 10 as well?

I was surprised to see him lower down in the League One charts this season

Hopefully McKenna already has some players in mind, we were strongly linked with Evan Ferguson last season for example before getting Hirst instead

I imagine he'd be too expensive but Sinclair Armstrong at QPR looked very exciting, he'd definitely be the sort of hot prospect you'd like to pick up if promoted

I think it's really tough to see either as much of an upgrade to what we've got really.

Armstrong has 1 goal in 843 minutes of football this season.
Collins is 26 and was really great for essentially 50% of last season, then did very little post-January and continued in that vein thereafter.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Striker seems to be the consensus on 20:26 - Nov 21 with 1543 viewsStokieBlue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 19:16 - Nov 21 by tractorboy1978

If another club offered £3m, Leicester wouldn’t have let him come here for £1.5m, regardless of what he wanted.

If we want to move forwards as a football club then we need to incrementally improve the squad, that’s the reality. A striker is priority number one as it stands. There’s plenty of middle ground between Hirst and £15m players.

That's not true though, he would be legally allowed to stay and earn 20k+ a week for years and they clearly didn't want that in this division.

Certainly agree that there is plenty of middle ground but I don't think it's as easy as you've made out with the examples you've cited.

Let's hope I'm wrong and we find a bargain from somewhere.

SB

Striker seems to be the consensus on 06:21 - Nov 22 with 1394 viewsPioneerBlue

I know this isn’t what folks want to hear but it is very difficult to recruit for the Prem in definitive terms whilst in the Championship, that’s because it is prohibitively expensive.

This recruiting for the prem whist in the Championship is quite unlike recruiting for Championship whist in L1.

It is very possible we are able to secure talent with big upside potential like we did with Broadhead and Hirst. It is also possible we do more of the Massimo or Tuanzebe deals. More likely for me is loans from the prem or acquire from bottom of Championship/top of L1.

The prem is on such a different level financially. I believe now you recruit for the prem when you get to the prem, otherwise you are competing to get out of the Championship. Our model of bringing in higher quality into a settled squad has worked so far seemingly without over extending financially.

No one wants to have a highly motivated high cost player in Jan only for them to be highly unmotivated falling value player in Aug if we haven’t gone up. That’s the old Derby and or early seasons Marcus Evans model.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2023 5:40]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:22 - Nov 22 with 1369 viewsmathiemagic

I would suggest they look at the GA column before opting for strikers. No one in the league has conceeded more than us and if the goals suddenly dried up for a few weeks things could quickly go downhill. Fingers crossed they dont obviously !

Poll: If we take a battering @ Norwich this weekend will MM get the sack or stay on ?

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:23 - Nov 22 with 1364 viewsBlueNomad

Keiffer Moore?
Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:44 - Nov 22 with 1341 viewsHerbivore

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:22 - Nov 22 by mathiemagic

I would suggest they look at the GA column before opting for strikers. No one in the league has conceeded more than us and if the goals suddenly dried up for a few weeks things could quickly go downhill. Fingers crossed they dont obviously !

No one in the league has conceded more than us, other than the eleven sides who have conceded more than us. The reason we score a lot and concede a few is because of how we play, it's not down to us having amazing forwards and poor defenders.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024