Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker seems to be the consensus 04:03 - Nov 21 with 10229 viewswkj

After reading through a number of posts it seems the most reoccurring position we're thinking about is strikers - possibly replacing Ladapo who has probably been one of the softer performers this season.

So, with January being a seller's market and no indication of how much is in the kitty - who do you think might be targets or even who would you like to see as targets. Have an attempt at keeping it realistic, as much as I would love to see Mbappe, Haaland, Júnior or Fati rocking up at PR

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:57 - Nov 22 with 1152 viewsHerbivore

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:23 - Nov 22 by BlueNomad

Keiffer Moore?

Hell no.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:13 - Nov 22 with 1088 viewsFrimleyBlue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:44 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

No one in the league has conceded more than us, other than the eleven sides who have conceded more than us. The reason we score a lot and concede a few is because of how we play, it's not down to us having amazing forwards and poor defenders.

It may appear like it and I can't find any form of stats to show otherwise, but I swear Most of the goals we concede come from the flanks.

I don't think we have a cb issue. Imo it's how our fullbacks work with their winger partners.

Clarke for example isn't the best 1 on 1 and neither is dacis. In davis case this is one of his worst attributes, he struggles against flair players.

Williams has the edge but by 70 minutes he's blowing and starts to lose his man too.

As I say I might just be seeing it the wrong way.. but I'd love to know how many goals have come from the flanks.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:22 - Nov 22 with 1021 viewstractorboy1978

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:13 - Nov 22 by FrimleyBlue

It may appear like it and I can't find any form of stats to show otherwise, but I swear Most of the goals we concede come from the flanks.

I don't think we have a cb issue. Imo it's how our fullbacks work with their winger partners.

Clarke for example isn't the best 1 on 1 and neither is dacis. In davis case this is one of his worst attributes, he struggles against flair players.

Williams has the edge but by 70 minutes he's blowing and starts to lose his man too.

As I say I might just be seeing it the wrong way.. but I'd love to know how many goals have come from the flanks.

What do you do though? It is how we play and our full backs are so strong offensively. The 'weakness' in our formation is often out wide left to a quick switch of play (up against Clarke/Williams) as our defenders roll across when Davis bombs on. Williams is a better 1 v 1 defender than Clarke but I think we ask a lot of whoever plays down that side to be honest.

We've proven a few times in tight away games this season that we can defend when we really need to and want to close a game down. At home I don't see why we would change anything, you'd back us to outscore most teams in a straight shoot out over 90 minutes.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 10:23]
Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:44 - Nov 22 with 981 views_clive_baker_

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:44 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

No one in the league has conceded more than us, other than the eleven sides who have conceded more than us. The reason we score a lot and concede a few is because of how we play, it's not down to us having amazing forwards and poor defenders.

There's certainly an element of that, we play a very aggressive, attacking style of football that commits players forward on the transition, especially at home. A consequence of that is always going to be that we expose ourselves defensively against good quality opposition who can hit us on the break. We've shown an ability in away games to be more pragmatic, where we've only conceded 6 in 5, with 4 of those having come in the last 2. I wouldn't say its 'by design' that we're conceding goals, of course we would rather not, but it's clearly an approach we're comfortable with at this stage and it's yielding results.

Having said that, I do think it's an area we could be tighter on. We have depth, but I do wonder if we're still looking for that longer term partnership. With Burgess potentially missing a big chunk for Australia duty I wouldn't be surprised if we take the opportunity to strengthen if it arises. Edmundson has done OK when called upon, but I just can't see him laying down a marker and establishing himself in the side. A lot will depend on how much value we think Tuanzebe is capable of adding too, he could be like a new signing if he can kick on and stay fit.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:45 - Nov 22 with 973 viewstextbackup

I’d still like to see that absolute unit from QPR come in.
Had our defence pulled all over the place when we played them at times

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:50 - Nov 22 with 954 views_clive_baker_

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:45 - Nov 22 by textbackup

Armstrong looks quality. Hasn't set the world alight in terms of goals but his pace and power is frightening, I think he's a very good player in the making. There's interest from further up the food chain though so I wouldn't think we stand a chance of seeing him in a Town shirt any time soon.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:53 - Nov 22 with 939 viewsHerbivore

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:44 - Nov 22 by _clive_baker_

There's certainly an element of that, we play a very aggressive, attacking style of football that commits players forward on the transition, especially at home. A consequence of that is always going to be that we expose ourselves defensively against good quality opposition who can hit us on the break. We've shown an ability in away games to be more pragmatic, where we've only conceded 6 in 5, with 4 of those having come in the last 2. I wouldn't say its 'by design' that we're conceding goals, of course we would rather not, but it's clearly an approach we're comfortable with at this stage and it's yielding results.

Having said that, I do think it's an area we could be tighter on. We have depth, but I do wonder if we're still looking for that longer term partnership. With Burgess potentially missing a big chunk for Australia duty I wouldn't be surprised if we take the opportunity to strengthen if it arises. Edmundson has done OK when called upon, but I just can't see him laying down a marker and establishing himself in the side. A lot will depend on how much value we think Tuanzebe is capable of adding too, he could be like a new signing if he can kick on and stay fit.

I just can't envisage a situation where Tuanzebe has come here not expecting to get a decent amount of football and I think realistically, in terms of pedigree at least, it's hard to see us bringing in anyone better. Woolf has been excellent, aside from the uncharacteristic error against Swansea. Burgess has generally been good too. I think the full backs have probably made more errors but they are left vulnerable by the way we play (at home in particular) so you'd cut them some slack. I'd be genuinely surprised if we do go in for another defender in January but you never know. There is scope for us to improve defensively, especially at home, but I think that's more likely to come through individual and collective work on the training ground than through us spending money.

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:56 - Nov 22 with 931 viewsHerbivore

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:50 - Nov 22 by _clive_baker_

Armstrong looks quality. Hasn't set the world alight in terms of goals but his pace and power is frightening, I think he's a very good player in the making. There's interest from further up the food chain though so I wouldn't think we stand a chance of seeing him in a Town shirt any time soon.

He's one of those who might not be ready to immediately improve us but who could be an excellent acquisition long term. He's good enough that there's reported Prem interest so he's probably out of our league, unless someone signs him in January and loans him back out for the rest of the season which is not impossible.

Login to get fewer ads

Striker seems to be the consensus (n/t) on 17:28 - Nov 22 with 820 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:45 - Nov 22 by textbackup

[Post edited 22 Nov 2023 17:30]
Striker seems to be the consensus on 17:36 - Nov 22 with 801 viewsNthQldITFC

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:53 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

I just can't envisage a situation where Tuanzebe has come here not expecting to get a decent amount of football and I think realistically, in terms of pedigree at least, it's hard to see us bringing in anyone better. Woolf has been excellent, aside from the uncharacteristic error against Swansea. Burgess has generally been good too. I think the full backs have probably made more errors but they are left vulnerable by the way we play (at home in particular) so you'd cut them some slack. I'd be genuinely surprised if we do go in for another defender in January but you never know. There is scope for us to improve defensively, especially at home, but I think that's more likely to come through individual and collective work on the training ground than through us spending money.

Do any of the more itk posters have a feeling on whether Woolfy or Tuanzebe would be comfortable playing LCB? In terms of quality, those are our best two I think, and potentially next level for us. Obviously contingent upon Tuanzebe's fitness.

It would be very, very harsh to drop Burgess, who I would be perfectly happy to see out this season as LCB, and I wouldn't put it past him to step up if... Also I suspect that Baggott might continue his progress and could well make the above scenario secondary anyway.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Striker seems to be the consensus on 17:41 - Nov 22 with 792 viewsMK1

Striker seems to be the consensus on 07:22 - Nov 22 by mathiemagic

I would suggest they look at the GA column before opting for strikers. No one in the league has conceeded more than us and if the goals suddenly dried up for a few weeks things could quickly go downhill. Fingers crossed they dont obviously !

It's the way we play. We will score more than you. We have decent players in every department. Think a RB,RM & a CF will be looked at, but there is nothing wrong with any of our squad.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 20:15 - Nov 22 with 706 viewsVegtablue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:56 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

He's one of those who might not be ready to immediately improve us but who could be an excellent acquisition long term. He's good enough that there's reported Prem interest so he's probably out of our league, unless someone signs him in January and loans him back out for the rest of the season which is not impossible.

Yes one to file under top prospect rather than someone who could improve us this season I'd say. He's currently 361st out of 381 Championship players based on over 300 individual stats and is an offside champion, which would annoy me no end. He likely had the second best game of his career against us and I think we rate him higher than the average QPR fan as a result.
Striker seems to be the consensus on 20:19 - Nov 22 with 700 viewsbournemouthblue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 09:13 - Nov 22 by FrimleyBlue

Davis is probably most vulnerable when a big winger is stuck on him and they over power him in the air usually when he is higher up the pitch

See Rotherham's first goal, last week

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Striker seems to be the consensus on 20:20 - Nov 22 with 698 viewsbournemouthblue

Striker seems to be the consensus on 10:50 - Nov 22 by _clive_baker_

He has massive potential for sure, I'm sure McKenna would develop him into an absolute beast of a striker

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024