Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are we not looking abroad? 23:21 - Sep 1 with 3957 viewsIpswich24

Blackburn, Preston, Sunderland and scum all bringing in talent from Europe and getting good value for money. Why don't we do the same?

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:27 - Sep 1 with 2786 viewsTractorCam

Our recruitment under Ashton and co has been very good, best i've ever known it in fact. Whatever/however they research clearly works as it is.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:27 - Sep 1 with 2782 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Foreign scouting systems take a while to set up. And are pretty pointless when you are league one.

I would like to think that the club are in the process of setting this up. So many bargains to be had in the foreign market.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:29 - Sep 1 with 2754 viewsFrimleyBlue

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:27 - Sep 1 by TRUE_BLUE123

Foreign scouting systems take a while to set up. And are pretty pointless when you are league one.

I would like to think that the club are in the process of setting this up. So many bargains to be had in the foreign market.

How hard is it tho?

With data available. Planes galore. Is it difficult to get a few people to go and look at some players

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:31 - Sep 1 with 2743 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:27 - Sep 1 by TRUE_BLUE123

Isn’t it all done by data analysts in a back office these days?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:31 - Sep 1 with 2746 viewsStokieBlue

Can you please explain how players who have never played in England represent "good value for money"?

SB

Edit: This wasn't really clear enough, my point was that pointing to Sunderland etc as case studies when the foreign signings they have made are far from proven at this point isn't really evidence. It might work out but they can't be taken as case studies at the moment.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 9:37]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:32 - Sep 1 with 2742 viewsHorsham

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:29 - Sep 1 by FrimleyBlue

How hard is it tho?

With data available. Planes galore. Is it difficult to get a few people to go and look at some players

It’s a fair comment. Coventry seemed to crack it from the get go when they were promoted. I’ve strong feeling that we’d misread the market in advance of this summer and thought there would be more value domestically than there has been.
Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:33 - Sep 1 with 2716 viewsStokieBlue

How hard is it tho?

Maybe you should volunteer to assist?

You clearly have plenty of time, even when you told us you were on holiday you were still on here constantly.

I'm all for you being a scout for us, we need your knowledge.

SB

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:34 - Sep 1 with 2723 viewsHorsham

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:31 - Sep 1 by StokieBlue

Can you please explain how players who have never played in England represent "good value for money"?

SB

Edit: This wasn't really clear enough, my point was that pointing to Sunderland etc as case studies when the foreign signings they have made are far from proven at this point isn't really evidence. It might work out but they can't be taken as case studies at the moment.

I think it’s fair to say the domestic market hasn’t offered as much value as most would have expected this summer so I think it’s reasonable to suggest there might be better value elsewhere.
Login to get fewer ads

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:37 - Sep 1 with 2682 viewsSwansea_Blue

How do you know they’re good value for money?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:37 - Sep 1 with 2682 viewsStokieBlue

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:34 - Sep 1 by Horsham

I think it’s fair to say the domestic market hasn’t offered as much value as most would have expected this summer so I think it’s reasonable to suggest there might be better value elsewhere.

That reply doesn't provide evidence.

Given your username I'm going to go for a personal outlandish and historical post.

You're not Chewbacca right?

SB

Edit: You're clearly not whom I thought or the context of this would have made sense.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 9:29]

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:41 - Sep 1 with 2650 viewsIpswich24

SB

You only have to look at what Brighton and Brentford have done. Players never heard of then selling them on for mega profit. You pay a premium for English players where there no guarantee either!!

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:42 - Sep 1 with 2645 viewsFrimleyBlue

SB

" because some foreign players can be procured for cheaper transfer fees than home grown talent – many clubs in the lower divisions of English football are turning their attentions and transfer budgets to foreign players"

https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-base/football-law/footballer-work-permits

Waka waka eh eh

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:43 - Sep 1 with 2637 viewsHorsham

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:37 - Sep 1 by StokieBlue

That reply doesn't provide evidence.

Given your username I'm going to go for a personal outlandish and historical post.

You're not Chewbacca right?

SB

Edit: You're clearly not whom I thought or the context of this would have made sense.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 9:29]

Blimey you’ve lost me and I should be ok on the historic stuff as in some form or other I’ve been on here for eons. Pre dating Whigfield and the Glassblowers.

Anyway

For a more reasoned fairy balanced but too long to read and ultimately inconclusive ramble I wrote a post on it all earlier.

So now it’s done by Horsham 1 Sep 2023 22:57
My thoughts.

And I think the context of the January window is more important that what Ashton said during this one.

Just to reflect. Clarke, Broadhead, Hirst and Luongo. The first two are hugely significant as they were bought with fees around £1-1.5m and Hirst later made permanent for around the same fee. Why is the context important? Clarke and Broadhead came from big Premier League clubs on the back of decent performances on loan at championship teams. What kind of fees would they have been attracting this summer? Maybe I’m guessing a lot more, actually maybe 3 times more or so. In hindsight those guys and Hirst are tremendous value.

Fast forward to this window. Suddenly the previously skint championship is seemingly awash with cash from player trades. Ultimately that money has flowed into some championship clubs from the premier league but not us. We have seemingly been resolute in the principle of a deal needing to be justifiable on a value basis. Fundamentally unless this madness continues to be sustained for a long period of time then there has been little to no value in domestic transfers this summer. For instance the example of Simms. It’s hard based on the little I know of him to imagine £15m + player there. It certainly isn’t a sure fire thing that he is and when Coventry next come to trade him, I think there’s a strong chance there’ll fo it as a loss. Was there value for us to go toe to toe with them and outbid them? I don’t think so.

So I guess the trick now is to learn, because as many have said we’ve seemingly not moved as far forward as we’d have liked. For me it remains about securing value in player trading and using that to constantly drive the team forward and to plan strategically. Recruiting in oversees markets seems like something we’ve not cracked and if Ashton is to be as relentless as he says he is then I think we need to improve this. Not all leagues, all the time can be awash with money and we should be able to exploit those where there is value. The basic premise has to be to buy low and sell high.

Next summer I think will potentially be massive. It’s got to be almost inevitable we sell at least Davis for big money and we will have cash to spend. Fingers crossed we can spend it well.

Sorry waffle and late for me so I’ll leave it there!

[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 23:44]
Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:45 - Sep 1 with 2609 viewsFrimleyBlue

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:33 - Sep 1 by StokieBlue

Maybe you should volunteer to assist?

You clearly have plenty of time, even when you told us you were on holiday you were still on here constantly.

I'm all for you being a scout for us, we need your knowledge.

SB

I was indeed on here whilst enjoying some relaxing time on holiday. Nice of you again to take an interest in my life.

I've no wish to volunteer. Was asking a genuine question about how difficult it actually is to set something up in this day and age of football. Can't remember which manager. Maybe KM himself but they said gone are the days where you just watch players playing week after week to gain knowledge about them.

Waka waka eh eh

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:45 - Sep 1 with 2610 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

How hard is it tho?

I imagine its a little bit more than Planes and Data.

You have to build relationships abroad, realise what nations you want to be targeting, it obviously costs more.

Perhaps most importantly this was the first season where the annoying Brexit barrier was taken down so think foreign scouting will come in the future.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:46 - Sep 1 with 2587 viewsHARRY10

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:31 - Sep 1 by Swansea_Blue

Isn’t it all done by data analysts in a back office these days?

No, that is just stuff believed by those who imagine you can judge a game or player by how many yards he gains in a throw on the left side in their half in the first quarter of the game.

I don't think some of our lot understand just how far below other clubs our club fell under Evans. It was not just the dilapidated state of the ground, and the pitch. It was pretty much all over.

Those mentioned have in most cases had PL money. £120m plus does allow for money to run a good scouting system in chosen areas.

We have struggled with domestic signings at times. A huge mistake was not setting up a CAT 1 academy. However, the good news is we are now heading in the right direction. Rome not built in a day etc. But it will take time. We are not going to be able to catch up on the others overnight.
Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:46 - Sep 1 with 2590 viewsIpswich24

SB

You only have to look at what Brighton and Brentford have done. Players never heard of then selling them on for mega profit. You pay a premium for English players where there no guarantee either!!

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:48 - Sep 1 with 2570 viewsFrimleyBlue

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:34 - Sep 1 by Horsham

Not sure why he's asking you specifically for evidence for something that's been discussed for years across football and why clubs pushed for easier access to the foreign market.

Tim sherwood was one of the main vocal managers at the time back in 2015 on this subject.

Waka waka eh eh

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:52 - Sep 1 with 2536 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:48 - Sep 1 by FrimleyBlue

Not sure why he's asking you specifically for evidence for something that's been discussed for years across football and why clubs pushed for easier access to the foreign market.

Tim sherwood was one of the main vocal managers at the time back in 2015 on this subject.

The defence would like to call Piotr Malarczyk to the dock
Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:58 - Sep 1 with 2506 viewsHorsham

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:52 - Sep 1 by Bury_St_Edmundson

The defence would like to call Piotr Malarczyk to the dock

The defence would be better advised to call Mr Serini.
Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:58 - Sep 1 with 2504 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:58 - Sep 1 by Horsham

The defence would be better advised to call Mr Serini.

Don't spoil the star witness...
Why are we not looking abroad? on 00:01 - Sep 2 with 2497 viewsHorsham

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:48 - Sep 1 by FrimleyBlue

Well I’ve found myself in the unusual position of agreeing with you! It has been a shock for me too. Maybe he wants evidence that I’m ok.

Frimley, I do not know!
Why are we not looking abroad? on 00:05 - Sep 2 with 2462 viewsHorsham

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:58 - Sep 1 by Bury_St_Edmundson

Don't spoil the star witness...

I put it to the defence that the first witness was called simply to demonstrate an extraordinary ability to recall obscure former Ipswich Town players and the court will not indulge this behaviour.
Why are we not looking abroad? on 00:06 - Sep 2 with 2456 viewsWacko

SB

What a bizarre comment. It's almost as if you don't understand why beer in Eastern Europe tastes just as great if not better than English beer, and at a fraction of the price.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 08:44 - Sep 2 with 2103 viewsChurchman

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:46 - Sep 1 by HARRY10

No, that is just stuff believed by those who imagine you can judge a game or player by how many yards he gains in a throw on the left side in their half in the first quarter of the game.

I don't think some of our lot understand just how far below other clubs our club fell under Evans. It was not just the dilapidated state of the ground, and the pitch. It was pretty much all over.

Those mentioned have in most cases had PL money. £120m plus does allow for money to run a good scouting system in chosen areas.

We have struggled with domestic signings at times. A huge mistake was not setting up a CAT 1 academy. However, the good news is we are now heading in the right direction. Rome not built in a day etc. But it will take time. We are not going to be able to catch up on the others overnight.

This is a good point, Harry. My understanding was that under ‘our saviour’ Evans austerity any scouting network we had was disposed of/allowed to dribble away along with everything else. That was never going to be rebuilt overnight any more than a crumbling football ground, community network, training ground and everything else.

As for foreign players, we of all clubs know what an asset they can be. We’ve had some smashing ones over the years. They can also be an absolute liability too. Obviously you need a foreign scouting network in the PL, but maybe a more limited one in the Championship? Don’t know but I do know our own U.K. scouting network has to be the priority.

Edit: I wish we’d treat Cat 1 as a priority. I know that it’s a closed shop and Ashton isn’t a fan, but I believe it’s something I believe we should be accessing as soon as we can. No real evidence, just instinct.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2023 8:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024