Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are we not looking abroad? 23:21 - Sep 1 with 3975 viewsIpswich24

Blackburn, Preston, Sunderland and scum all bringing in talent from Europe and getting good value for money. Why don't we do the same?

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 09:03 - Sep 2 with 1104 viewstractorboy1978

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:29 - Sep 1 by FrimleyBlue

How hard is it tho?

With data available. Planes galore. Is it difficult to get a few people to go and look at some players

A big part of signings is character fit and referencing though - you can't tell that from looking at data. When you build up a network of individuals in different countries that you trust, you can do those sorts of checks. We are a team with a real team spirit at the moment and you have to be so careful who you bring into that group. You don't want to upset the balance we have at the moment.
Why are we not looking abroad? on 09:29 - Sep 2 with 1061 viewsNthQldITFC

Why are we not looking abroad? on 09:03 - Sep 2 by tractorboy1978

A big part of signings is character fit and referencing though - you can't tell that from looking at data. When you build up a network of individuals in different countries that you trust, you can do those sorts of checks. We are a team with a real team spirit at the moment and you have to be so careful who you bring into that group. You don't want to upset the balance we have at the moment.

I'd say that improving the squad is about three things: 1. player trading, 2. player development, and 3. team development.

Whilst 1. may not have gone as smoothly as hoped this window (although in my opinion it's pretty good given the circustances) KMc / the ITFC setup is clearly very good at 2. and 3.

Whilst player trading is what gives a lot of fans a boner at this time of year, What you don't want to do is rush into 1. if there's any risk of upsetting 3. Buying 'cheaper' foreign players without having fully assessed their temperaments would be very foolish.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Why are we not looking abroad? on 09:39 - Sep 2 with 1050 viewsWeWereZombies

Why are we not looking abroad? on 00:05 - Sep 2 by Horsham

I put it to the defence that the first witness was called simply to demonstrate an extraordinary ability to recall obscure former Ipswich Town players and the court will not indulge this behaviour.

But the defence was about to call Mr Karic forward...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Why are we not looking abroad? on 09:44 - Sep 2 with 1038 viewsjontysnut

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:31 - Sep 1 by Swansea_Blue

Isn’t it all done by data analysts in a back office these days?

Given that probably every game from u9s up is filmed these days all players have a video compilation plus other data that agents punt around. I guess scouts only pull out the sheepskin coat and notepad if they're pretty close to seeing what the club wants
Why are we not looking abroad? on 10:14 - Sep 2 with 1004 viewsNaylorsrightboot

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:31 - Sep 1 by Swansea_Blue

Isn’t it all done by data analysts in a back office these days?

Yes according to Ashton we have s team on that. Yet we still end up with 4 kids Kieran has worked with before. Can't make out what the data team are doing!
Why are we not looking abroad? on 10:16 - Sep 2 with 1005 viewsstrikalite

Something we should have been doing many years ago, I'm actually quite surprised that an overseas scouting network wasn't one of the first thing MA etc didn't set up, it just seems we're always a few steps back with things sometimes...
Why are we not looking abroad? on 10:48 - Sep 2 with 978 viewsElephantintheRoom

The vast backroom staff clearly only bought the same software package everyone else has. The foreign database costs a bit more. Maybe someone who already has it on their laptop will be recruited soon. But this IS the Bristol City franchise relocated to the other side of the country - did they throw money abroad?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Why are we not looking abroad? on 10:52 - Sep 2 with 956 viewsMullet

Who would you have signed from where, for roughly how much? What would they bring to the squad?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Why are we not looking abroad? on 10:54 - Sep 2 with 947 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ashton

I go back to Martyn Pert, Martyn has a lot of relationships overseas and we’re using those. So do I, so does [chief operating officer] Luke Werhun, so does Gary Probert

Maybe they've upset their relationships lol.

Ashton: Persuading New Head of Recruitment to Leave Manchester United a Real Coup 31st Mar 2022 17:26
Town CEO Mark Ashton has been speaking about the appointment of the club’s new head of recruitment, Sam Williams, and more generally on how scouting will work at Portman Road. 11

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Why are we not looking abroad? on 11:06 - Sep 2 with 924 viewsOldFart71

I did suggest this some months ago. But then you have to weigh up the good sides of this and the bad. Muhren and Thysen, Heiredeson and Counago aginst the likes of Finidi George and Matteo Sereni. Looking at videos is a bad idea. You need a reliable agent abroad who's interests are for the club as well as his pocket then I am sure there are gems to be had.
Why are we not looking abroad? on 11:14 - Sep 2 with 898 viewsPinewoodblue

Why are we not looking abroad? on 11:06 - Sep 2 by OldFart71

I did suggest this some months ago. But then you have to weigh up the good sides of this and the bad. Muhren and Thysen, Heiredeson and Counago aginst the likes of Finidi George and Matteo Sereni. Looking at videos is a bad idea. You need a reliable agent abroad who's interests are for the club as well as his pocket then I am sure there are gems to be had.

We could start by encouraging former overseas player to recommend players to the club.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Why are we not looking abroad? on 11:18 - Sep 2 with 879 viewsKieran_Knows

Why are we not looking abroad? on 23:27 - Sep 1 by TRUE_BLUE123

Foreign scouting systems take a while to set up. And are pretty pointless when you are league one.

I would like to think that the club are in the process of setting this up. So many bargains to be had in the foreign market.

Indeed. I imagine France is where we’ll end up looking as that’s where Ashton done most of his scouting at Bristol City, so no doubt has contacts/scouts already in play over there.

As you say, hopefully that develops over the next few months.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Why are we not looking abroad? on 11:28 - Sep 2 with 841 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Sheffield Weds recruited almost exclusively from abroad earlier in the window, look how that’s worked out…
Why are we not looking abroad? on 12:26 - Sep 2 with 791 viewsMullet

Why are we not looking abroad? on 10:52 - Sep 2 by Mullet

Who would you have signed from where, for roughly how much? What would they bring to the squad?

Bit odd to downvote this given they're relatively simple to answer. Especially if we've missed something so obvious.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Why are we not looking abroad? on 12:54 - Sep 2 with 746 viewsHorsham

Why are we not looking abroad? on 09:39 - Sep 2 by WeWereZombies

But the defence was about to call Mr Karic forward...

That is precisely what the court disapproves of most.

Can I just add I was extremely excited by the signing of the traction engine footer Slovenian superstar. Can we agree that we got a bit unlucky with that one?
Why are we not looking abroad? on 14:03 - Sep 2 with 691 viewsFather_Jack

Shouldn't we be worrying more about the club's complete lack of a recruitment room?

Less is more.

Why are we not looking abroad? on 06:47 - Sep 3 with 593 viewsWeWereZombies

Why are we not looking abroad? on 12:54 - Sep 2 by Horsham

That is precisely what the court disapproves of most.

Can I just add I was extremely excited by the signing of the traction engine footer Slovenian superstar. Can we agree that we got a bit unlucky with that one?

Having seen Amir grace Portman Road just the once I couldn't make up my mind as to whether he didn't understand Burley's tactics or he just didn't want to be here.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024