Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. 14:50 - Aug 21 with 6947 viewsunbelievablue

EV arrives in the next couple of weeks. Seems to be hundreds of different types of EV charging points and nearly as many apps - what's the best one? Do any of them consolidate the different types etc.?

I'll be driving an Ioniq 5.

Edit - widening to general advice about driving an EV. Cheers.

EDIT 2 - Now got the car, update post down the thread.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2023 9:15]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

EV charging points - best app? on 14:54 - Aug 21 with 4155 viewsKievthegreat

Zap map is good for showing all (or at least most) available points across all the different networks. Very useful when planning trips.

When it comes to paying, I either use a card for contactless or get whatever I need when I get to a place. It's a bit annoying right now to be honest and there isn't AFAIK a golden bullet app that lets you pay for everything on one app.
EV charging points - best app? on 14:57 - Aug 21 with 4141 viewsunbelievablue

EV charging points - best app? on 14:54 - Aug 21 by Kievthegreat

Zap map is good for showing all (or at least most) available points across all the different networks. Very useful when planning trips.

When it comes to paying, I either use a card for contactless or get whatever I need when I get to a place. It's a bit annoying right now to be honest and there isn't AFAIK a golden bullet app that lets you pay for everything on one app.

Thanks. Don't mind multiple apps/using contactless etc. to pay, just wanted one where I could see all the options/filter. Zap map looks ideal.

EV charging points - best app? on 14:57 - Aug 21 with 4144 viewsJakeITFC

Zap Map is the one.

New smart charging regs have come in that mandate all public chargers to have contactless availability, so expect almost all rapids to have this functionality by the end of the year. My personal favourites are probably the Shell ones at petrol forecourts - usually plenty of them, good speeds and reliable.
EV charging points - best app? on 14:59 - Aug 21 with 4127 viewsunbelievablue

EV charging points - best app? on 14:57 - Aug 21 by JakeITFC

Zap Map is the one.

New smart charging regs have come in that mandate all public chargers to have contactless availability, so expect almost all rapids to have this functionality by the end of the year. My personal favourites are probably the Shell ones at petrol forecourts - usually plenty of them, good speeds and reliable.

Thanks buh.

EV charging points - best app? on 16:16 - Aug 21 with 4018 viewsunbelievablue

I suppose I'll open this up to wider advice about driving an EV too. I suspect there's a fair few of you lurking - any input much appreciated. The one pedal driving/braking option thing sounds a bit mad on the Ioniq.

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 19:54 - Aug 21 with 3884 viewsScotBlue

Had my company Hyundai Kona for a couple of months now. As a poster has said Zap Map by far the best. Comfortable to drive and acceleration is completely different and sometimes a little scary compared to the automatic diesel I have come out of. Charge points getting better but infrastructure still needs to be improved massively. I use MFG garages a lot as they have a number of fast charge spots. Be prepared to add some time to any travelling you do over 150 miles although good to make you have a break so not driving for too long. I did quite a lot of charger spotting before I received the car and now know of 2 spots on the A1 and M6 that have a decent amount of chargers and a the distance home to Scotland for me to make the most use of.
EV charging points - best app? on 20:07 - Aug 21 with 3867 viewssilkcutblue

EV charging points - best app? on 16:16 - Aug 21 by unbelievablue

I suppose I'll open this up to wider advice about driving an EV too. I suspect there's a fair few of you lurking - any input much appreciated. The one pedal driving/braking option thing sounds a bit mad on the Ioniq.

EV it's a big no from me
The thought of having a green and yellow number plate makes me feel physically sick I may even join the just use oil movement on the strength of it
EV charging points - best app? on 20:34 - Aug 21 with 3792 viewsPendejo

Single pedal driving is fine, once you get hang of it.

Motorway driving can largely be undertaken using dynamic cruise control if you want to give your right leg a break.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

EV charging points - best app? on 20:38 - Aug 21 with 3780 viewsPendejo

Motorway driving can largely be undertaken using dynamic cruise control if you want to give your right leg a break.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

EV charging points - best app? on 20:47 - Aug 21 with 3765 viewsNthQldITFC

EV charging points - best app? on 20:38 - Aug 21 by Pendejo

I don't trust this new technology. One minute it's double posts that are none of your doing, the next the machines have taken over the world.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

EV charging points - best app? on 21:13 - Aug 21 with 3718 viewsronnyd

EV charging points - best app? on 20:38 - Aug 21 by Pendejo

You can say that again.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 05:30 - Aug 22 with 3613 viewswkj

Another for ZapMap, but from my travels I have routinely been impressed at BP charging points. Diss and Colchester BP are well worth keeping in mind if you need a fast charge. However, the best advice is to charge at home on night rates as often as you can. 1 in 20 charges I complete are done away from home.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

EV charging points - best app? on 08:20 - Aug 22 with 3531 viewsChurchman

EV charging points - best app? on 20:47 - Aug 21 by NthQldITFC

I don't trust this new technology. One minute it's double posts that are none of your doing, the next the machines have taken over the world.

If a manufacturer brings one out called ‘The Terminator’, start worrying.

“I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle…”
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:19 - Aug 22 with 3465 viewsunbelievablue

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 05:30 - Aug 22 by wkj

Another for ZapMap, but from my travels I have routinely been impressed at BP charging points. Diss and Colchester BP are well worth keeping in mind if you need a fast charge. However, the best advice is to charge at home on night rates as often as you can. 1 in 20 charges I complete are done away from home.

Unfortunately not feasible at my current setup (I live in a 5th story flat and there are no outlets in the parking garage), but good to bear in mind for the future. My sister has installed a home charger thingy for hers.

EV charging points - best app? on 11:17 - Aug 22 with 3422 viewsvilanovablue

To be honest it's very easy to adapt, one pedal driving is great and pretty easy to get used to. Love mine it's hassle free. If I pop into town on a Sunday it's £1.20 to park all day and charging is free.

Zap Map is super handy it also gives the charger speeds if you are looking for fast charging.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 12:37 - Aug 22 with 3371 viewsHogger

We love our Ioniq 5 - the acceleration will amaze you and it's a super comfortable car with a good range. Get an Ohme charger if you have an OVO elec account as it only costs 10p per kw/h to charge at home. On long trips, don't try and save money by heading off motorway - the infrastructure in UK is still way behind Europe. Go to service stations with lots of Grid Serve chargers, like Wetherby and Rugby. Best charging company is FastNed, Dutch company, but they are only just getting started in UK. Be patient and you soon get the hang of it all - and you are doing the right thing too, despite what the cynics say
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 12:42]
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 18:21 - Aug 22 with 3261 viewsKievthegreat

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 05:30 - Aug 22 by wkj

I'd also throw in the BP station at Junction 45 of the A14 (Ipswich side of BSE). 6 rapid chargers and never not been able to roll straight in and charge.

I use it for top up when driving between Leicester and Ipswich, but I imagine it's a useful when coming home from an away day when you're cutting it fine on the miles. I find it much more convenient than Cambridge services as you've a lot less competition for chargers.

Also one thing I'd recommend when planning journeys is look for a good quantity of chargers. Planning a trip around a stop that has just 1 charger can be risky, I'd rather plan around somewhere with multiple where I'm more confident I can charge.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 21:47 - Aug 22 with 3205 viewsEly_Blue

Well I’ll jump on this thread too as I’ve got an EV arriving imminently (dealers left me a voicemail this afternoon when I was in a meeting to try and arrange delivery) I’ve got the Kia EV6 which is built on the same platform as the Ioniq 5, an app that you should also look into is called A Better Route Planner, it allows you to enter your starting point, SoC on starting and it will work out exactly where you need to stop and for how long at each stop etc, one piece of advice is when charging on faster chargers there is little point in going beyond 80% as speed drops right off and it’s usually quicker to make another stop en route (also you’re less likely to annoy people who may be queuing to charge if it’s at a popular spot)

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 21:57 - Aug 22 with 3187 viewsKievthegreat

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 21:47 - Aug 22 by Ely_Blue

Well I’ll jump on this thread too as I’ve got an EV arriving imminently (dealers left me a voicemail this afternoon when I was in a meeting to try and arrange delivery) I’ve got the Kia EV6 which is built on the same platform as the Ioniq 5, an app that you should also look into is called A Better Route Planner, it allows you to enter your starting point, SoC on starting and it will work out exactly where you need to stop and for how long at each stop etc, one piece of advice is when charging on faster chargers there is little point in going beyond 80% as speed drops right off and it’s usually quicker to make another stop en route (also you’re less likely to annoy people who may be queuing to charge if it’s at a popular spot)

If you want to go full geek, then look at the charging curves!
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 06:09 - Aug 23 with 3120 viewsChondzoresk

Zap Map I use as an app.

I have a hybrid, so charging points aren’t a necessity to me. I generally charge from home with my pod point. Nice choice of vehicle too.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 06:53 - Aug 23 with 3108 viewswingerii

On the charger…..

I’m not sure if you’ve thought about your energy provider but a lot of people go with Octopus Energy because of the cheap EV smart tariffs. On Octopus Intelligent, they choose when to charge the car and since going onto it, the car has always been 90% charged, whereas on the old Octopus Go tariff the cheap period only gave me an additional 35% during off peak.

You have to have either a compatible charger, or a compatible vehicle. My Audi is compatible but the charger (Pod Point) isnt, But that’s fine.

Your Ioniq 5 isn’t currently compatible, so you would need a compatible charger. That’s the OHME, which is a nice charger anyway.

I still find it incredible that the energy company charges the car when it’s cheaper for itself, but that it’s all off peak (7.5p kWh) and that the car is ready every morning with the level I want it at.

Have fun with your car. EVs are so much fun
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 6:55]
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 07:22 - Aug 23 with 3083 viewsunbelievablue

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 21:47 - Aug 22 by Ely_Blue

Nice. Is your EV through Fleet Solutions by any chance?

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 20:14 - Aug 23 with 2952 viewsEly_Blue

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 07:22 - Aug 23 by unbelievablue

Nice. Is your EV through Fleet Solutions by any chance?

No it’s a company car which has been organised through Arval, had confirmation of delivery today of 7th September, now to get the charger installed!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 12:23 - Sep 23 with 2343 viewsunbelievablue

Got the Ioniq 5 yesterday. What a pleasure to drive. 1 pedal (regenerative braking) driving very easy to get used to and very cool. Found a Instavolt fast charger down the road which got me from 24% to 60% in 10 mins and cost £9. The future is here.

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 13:27 - Sep 23 with 2260 viewsemergencylime

ZapMap handy but they’re a bit patchy in Ireland, a few updates I’ve submitted get missed off.
So i also have ABRP to mitigate.

I’ve got the original Ioniq, probably an ex-taxi as it has 108,000miles but drives like half that.
Has almost-one pedal driving, down to a creep. I hardly ever use the brakes anymore.

Only has 125 mile range in Summer / 115 in Winter, but I only do longer journeys (190 mile each way) once a month so I know my locations to top up (always good to have a backup or 2, ZapMap helps there).

Would love to get something with a 220 mile range so I can get to the office in one go, but nothing really in my price range yet, and it’s not enough of a dealbreaker for me to go back to petrol/diesel and give up that 0-40mph kick.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2023 13:28]

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024