Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. 14:50 - Aug 21 with 7010 viewsunbelievablue

EV arrives in the next couple of weeks. Seems to be hundreds of different types of EV charging points and nearly as many apps - what's the best one? Do any of them consolidate the different types etc.?

I'll be driving an Ioniq 5.

Edit - widening to general advice about driving an EV. Cheers.

EDIT 2 - Now got the car, update post down the thread.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2023 9:15]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

EV charging points - best app? on 13:34 - Sep 23 with 2280 viewsvilanovablue

EV charging points - best app? on 16:16 - Aug 21 by unbelievablue

I suppose I'll open this up to wider advice about driving an EV too. I suspect there's a fair few of you lurking - any input much appreciated. The one pedal driving/braking option thing sounds a bit mad on the Ioniq.

Surprisingly easy once you get used to it which really doesn't take long. One pedal braking also regenerates the battery.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 15:41 - Sep 23 with 2251 viewsemergencylime

If you’ve charging at home you’ll love getting straight into a toasty, already demisted car in the depths of January.

Poll: Another Tragical Vegas poll. Would you rather?

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 18:53 - Sep 23 with 2227 viewsEdmundo

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 12:23 - Sep 23 by unbelievablue

Got the Ioniq 5 yesterday. What a pleasure to drive. 1 pedal (regenerative braking) driving very easy to get used to and very cool. Found a Instavolt fast charger down the road which got me from 24% to 60% in 10 mins and cost £9. The future is here.

I'm a recent convert to EVs. Got a Kia EV6. Mileage is awesome. I've noticed Whitehouse Shell on Narwich Road is v fast. Also FastNed at Martlesham P&R. Big fan of Instavolt: most are next to McDonald's or Starbucks.
Make sure you get a tariff for cheap charging overnight at home. I'm with Octopus: 9p per unit for 4 hours at night.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 20:59 - Sep 23 with 2217 viewschicoazul

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 12:23 - Sep 23 by unbelievablue

Got the Ioniq 5 yesterday. What a pleasure to drive. 1 pedal (regenerative braking) driving very easy to get used to and very cool. Found a Instavolt fast charger down the road which got me from 24% to 60% in 10 mins and cost £9. The future is here.

I’m sorry one pedal?? What is this new devilry?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 21:03 - Sep 23 with 2217 viewsKievthegreat

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 20:59 - Sep 23 by chicoazul

I’m sorry one pedal?? What is this new devilry?

When you take your foot off the pedal, the car will apply some level of braking (sometimes configurable) using the regen to get power back.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 23:07 - Sep 23 with 2198 viewsSwoody

Just be ready for the shock of what its worth in 12 monthsthey are losing 40-50%, a friend of works in sales for VW and he was telling me it's frightning. If you are buying one outright to keep for a long time or it's a company car it's not an issue but if you are buying on PCP expect a big bill at the end.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 23:46 - Sep 23 with 2179 viewsKievthegreat

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 23:07 - Sep 23 by Swoody

Just be ready for the shock of what its worth in 12 monthsthey are losing 40-50%, a friend of works in sales for VW and he was telling me it's frightning. If you are buying one outright to keep for a long time or it's a company car it's not an issue but if you are buying on PCP expect a big bill at the end.

But you already know the bill when you start the contract? If you're shocked at the end, you didn't pay attention when you bought it.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 07:47 - Sep 24 with 2145 viewsElephantintheRoom

My advice would be to hang on to your real car.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 12:00 - Sep 24 with 2103 viewsunbelievablue

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 07:47 - Sep 24 by ElephantintheRoom

My advice would be to hang on to your real car.

My ‘real’ car would cost me £12.50 to drive every day in the new ULEZ.

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 13:05 - Sep 24 with 2089 viewsLord_Lucan

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 12:00 - Sep 24 by unbelievablue

My ‘real’ car would cost me £12.50 to drive every day in the new ULEZ.

I nearly went for an Ioniq like you but decided it wouldn't be adequate for the new mileage I have to do so looked at Tesla's.

I then incurred a whole new load of permanent monthly expenses so I cooled on it - and I am now very glad I did.

For London and the miles you do I am sure you will be fine but of the handful of people I know who have EV's and who need to go here, there and everywhere on a regular basis, they all have buyers remorse.

Whilst in Birmingham the other week I was out with a business colleague one evening and he told me that with three passengers in the car they had to re charge on the way up from London and they would have to re charge on the way back.

Someone who knows a lot more than me will no doubt come on and advise why hydrogen cars aren't the future.

Maybe EV's will show to be the way to go but I don't think they are anywhere near where they need to be yet.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 13:59]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 08:34 - Sep 25 with 1978 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

On batteries....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 09:06 - Sep 25 with 1957 viewsunbelievablue

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 13:05 - Sep 24 by Lord_Lucan

I nearly went for an Ioniq like you but decided it wouldn't be adequate for the new mileage I have to do so looked at Tesla's.

I then incurred a whole new load of permanent monthly expenses so I cooled on it - and I am now very glad I did.

For London and the miles you do I am sure you will be fine but of the handful of people I know who have EV's and who need to go here, there and everywhere on a regular basis, they all have buyers remorse.

Whilst in Birmingham the other week I was out with a business colleague one evening and he told me that with three passengers in the car they had to re charge on the way up from London and they would have to re charge on the way back.

Someone who knows a lot more than me will no doubt come on and advise why hydrogen cars aren't the future.

Maybe EV's will show to be the way to go but I don't think they are anywhere near where they need to be yet.

Yeah it'll be a nightmare on long journeys.

Probably worth stating I got it on a 3 year, no interest, very good tax deal thingy through work. Could never have afforded it otherwise and would never have bought one outright:

https://www.nhsfleetsolutions.co.uk/about-us/

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 09:22 - Sep 25 with 1948 viewsLord_Lucan

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 09:06 - Sep 25 by unbelievablue

Yeah it'll be a nightmare on long journeys.

Probably worth stating I got it on a 3 year, no interest, very good tax deal thingy through work. Could never have afforded it otherwise and would never have bought one outright:

https://www.nhsfleetsolutions.co.uk/about-us/

The Ioniq looks quite cool though - as does the Tesla X

I'm now set on a Jaguar F Pace but every time I nearly press the button I get another monthly expense.

I'm haemorrhaging money at the moment.

What is big bro driving in Yankee land? A Hummer I expect.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 09:28 - Sep 25 with 1938 viewsunbelievablue

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 09:22 - Sep 25 by Lord_Lucan

I'm now set on a Jaguar F Pace but every time I nearly press the button I get another monthly expense.

Yeah it looks ace, far too cool for me.

Don't think he drives in Chicago.

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 09:32 - Sep 25 with 1936 viewsTractorBrew

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 13:05 - Sep 24 by Lord_Lucan

Posted on this the other day, but there really won't be one 'fuel' type in the future, but a mix to suit different requirements. Most people seem to be blinkered to this concept, and think one size must fit all.

As you say EVs are perfect your day to day, around town stuff, but hydrogen or e-fuel will be better for HGVs etc. There will probably be some kind of hybrid in between for those than need to long range but have lighter weight requirements.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:02 - Sep 25 with 1905 viewsstrikalite

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 09:22 - Sep 25 by Lord_Lucan

Bloke at work recently bought a Cupra EV and I've got to say it looks the dogs...about 350 mile range too fully charged..
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:13 - Sep 25 with 1902 viewsKievthegreat

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 09:32 - Sep 25 by TractorBrew

Posted on this the other day, but there really won't be one 'fuel' type in the future, but a mix to suit different requirements. Most people seem to be blinkered to this concept, and think one size must fit all.

As you say EVs are perfect your day to day, around town stuff, but hydrogen or e-fuel will be better for HGVs etc. There will probably be some kind of hybrid in between for those than need to long range but have lighter weight requirements.

Hydrogen will definitely form part of the mix because for higher weight vehicles or vehicles with extreme use cases (i.e near 24 hour running), EVs don't work. HGVs will struggle, planes with any significant range, Plant machinery and plenty more will definitely struggle and are exploring hydrogen. However it should be noted that a lot of these aren't looking at Hydrogen fuel cells, but actually hydrogen combustion (you can basically retrofit a diesel engine or gas turbine to run on hydrogen instead) so while you don't produce CO2, you'll still produce NOx which is a harmful pollutant still.

The biggest issue with using Hydrogen as the default fuel is that it is extremely energy intensive to produce. You'll obviously hear loads of talk about "green hydrogen" (made using purely renewable energy) and this should 100% be the only way we source hydrogen. The thing is when people rightly point out we'd need to increase renewables to power all the EVs, but if all cars were to be hydrogen, you'd actually need an even bigger increase in the power grid. The process of creating usable hydrogen is very inefficient as you spend enormous amounts of energy to get hydrogen in a usable form and the fuel you end up with has far less energy than what you put in. It will always be more energy efficient to put that power to a car battery than into hydrogen, and that's before you get to the process of storage and transportation.

Hydrogen needs to feature in our fuel mix, but it is not likely to be the go to for cars. It will be for extreme cases.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:25 - Sep 25 with 1883 viewsLeithblue

there seem to be more of us on this thread with an Ioniq 5 than I'm seeing around the city! Really happy with mine so far, and averaging (mostly town driving) 4.2 miles/kwh equating to a range of about 325 miles
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:44 - Sep 25 with 1877 viewsLord_Lucan

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:02 - Sep 25 by strikalite

Bloke at work recently bought a Cupra EV and I've got to say it looks the dogs...about 350 mile range too fully charged..

Yes but the range drops like a stone with passengers, heating, aircon, not driving like a fanny etc etc.

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:55 - Sep 25 with 1852 viewsKievthegreat

It's funny because over the past 5 years I've done about 75k miles, all in EVs. Long journeys can be a bit of pain but I've never had any real nightmares despite having a fairly limited EV in terms of charging (max charge rate 50kW).

My journey at the weekend was drive from Leicestershire to Witham to see family (120 miles), park and charge in town, drive to family near Braintree via a pub (15 miles). Then on the Sunday drive back up to Nottingham and stop at a Marstons on the edge of town for piss, drink and charge (110 miles). Then continued into Nottingham to watch the Ice Hockey and back home (35 miles)

275 miles and the only time I slowed down was 15 minutes drinking in a beer garden in the sun. Biggest test since owning an EV will be a week long stay in Scotland in November with a 300 mile leg on the way up and same on the way down.
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 16:06 - Sep 25 with 1795 viewssoupytwist

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:55 - Sep 25 by Kievthegreat

It's funny because over the past 5 years I've done about 75k miles, all in EVs. Long journeys can be a bit of pain but I've never had any real nightmares despite having a fairly limited EV in terms of charging (max charge rate 50kW).

My journey at the weekend was drive from Leicestershire to Witham to see family (120 miles), park and charge in town, drive to family near Braintree via a pub (15 miles). Then on the Sunday drive back up to Nottingham and stop at a Marstons on the edge of town for piss, drink and charge (110 miles). Then continued into Nottingham to watch the Ice Hockey and back home (35 miles)

275 miles and the only time I slowed down was 15 minutes drinking in a beer garden in the sun. Biggest test since owning an EV will be a week long stay in Scotland in November with a 300 mile leg on the way up and same on the way down.

What car do you have, and how much charge did it have left when you got to Witham please?
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 16:44 - Sep 25 with 1783 viewsTractorBrew

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 10:44 - Sep 25 by Lord_Lucan

Yes but the range drops like a stone with passengers, heating, aircon, not driving like a fanny etc etc.

And also, not all EVs are made equal. My MG4 seems to handle these things much better than people I know with E-tron, ID.3 or Borns. Our car is pretty much always used with the kids in, air con on, boot loaded, and generally racing away from traffic lights, and only getting about 20-30 miles less than advertised on a full charge
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 17:14 - Sep 25 with 1764 viewsKievthegreat

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 16:06 - Sep 25 by soupytwist

What car do you have, and how much charge did it have left when you got to Witham please?

Renault Zoe (52kWh). I had about 40% from memory, got an extra 40% back while parked for 3 hours (slow charger in a pay and display carpark in town).

Got to Nottingham on about 15% but topped up about 20% (35% in total) in the time it took to drink a small Pepsi Max and empty my personal tank (rapid charger that could have gone as fast as 150kW, but my car only takes 50kW).
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 18:35 - Sep 30 with 1439 viewsDJR

I haven't followed this post, but thought this ought to be a consideration before anyone buys an electric car.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/30/the-quotes-were-5000-or-more-elect
EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 18:49 - Sep 30 with 1418 viewsLord_Lucan

EDIT - EV advice including charging point apps etc. on 18:35 - Sep 30 by DJR

I haven't followed this post, but thought this ought to be a consideration before anyone buys an electric car.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/30/the-quotes-were-5000-or-more-elect

There was a bloke on the radio the other day who was explaining that a simple shunt could b@her the batteries up and the repair cost is huge.

I’m all for progress and green things but I can’t help thinking the EV is the new Squarial - atm.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024