Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You got a new job Phil 16:55 - Jun 17 with 13580 viewsgtsb1966

They're still obsessed even writing about us the last couple of weeks.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/213244-the-office-uk-ipswich-town-editio
You got a new job Phil on 18:08 - Jun 17 with 2749 viewsChurchman

You got a new job Phil on 17:59 - Jun 17 by Illinoisblue

70-page thread, though. It’s not normal.

They’ve a long running thread on their rivals Bristol Rovers which is fair enough. But not 70 pages on anyone else. Nowhere near. The level of dislike seems very high as is their hope that it all goes wrong for us. For a club that’s the other side of the country, no connection with us, or on our part any interest, it’s just plain weird.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 18:21]
You got a new job Phil on 18:18 - Jun 17 with 2702 viewsNthQldITFC

You got a new job Phil on 18:06 - Jun 17 by FevsBCFC

Yep, it’s not a position that usually influences. How many teams do you usually call out the LB as being so influential? That’s the point.

You forget Ipswich were a team last season that dominated, full-backs can play high, can influence. But up a level, it’ll be very difference.

Your manager recognises that!!!

Fevs, could you sum up what it is that Ashton did (or is perceived to have done) which seems to have upset so many Bristol City fans? Genuine question, and I don't know whether you're in the same boat or not.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

You got a new job Phil on 18:25 - Jun 17 with 2678 viewsMullet

You got a new job Phil on 17:59 - Jun 17 by Illinoisblue

70-page thread, though. It’s not normal.

If he reaches any further he'll fall off his perch!

Imagine trying to defend this sort of behaviour with such dubious nonsense. Self-awareness and humility are clearly missing from them it seems.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

You got a new job Phil on 18:33 - Jun 17 with 2631 viewsStewart27

You got a new job Phil on 17:54 - Jun 17 by FevsBCFC

It’s because some of us on OTIB take a great interest across the whole EFL.

The fact that you can’t name a single Bristol City player says more about you than it does about someone who has a knowledge about more than just their own team. 🤷🏻‍♂️

FWIW re transfer gossip, it’s pretty common to see the likes of Pete O’Rourke listing both Bristol City and Ipswich Town in many tweets, especially ones that are primarily agent talk only.

Players like Morsy, Luongo, Chaplin, Burns, Broadhead, Ladapo, Woolfenden, Burgess, Walton, etc, etc, game styles are well known to many of us, because at previous times they’ve been opponents in Lg1 or Champ, in Burns case our own player, or have been targets, Walton 3/4 years back, or scouted by some of our forum members who worked for City in the past.

Maybe it’s time to expand your football knowledge beyond Suffolk? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Your 70 page thread is weird mate. Don’t try and dress it up.

Why the hate for Ashton? Even Norwich City have achieved more than you lot and that’s saying something.

You were always bouncing between league one and the championship before he arrived.
You got a new job Phil on 18:41 - Jun 17 with 2597 viewsFevsBCFC

You got a new job Phil on 18:18 - Jun 17 by NthQldITFC

Fevs, could you sum up what it is that Ashton did (or is perceived to have done) which seems to have upset so many Bristol City fans? Genuine question, and I don't know whether you're in the same boat or not.

Probably worth going back to reading my first ever post on here (just under two years ago)

Your fans asked the same question then. They asked for someone to come on here and tell them. I joined TWTD / took up the challenge, to try to give a balanced view. Churchman thinks I’m the spawn of Satan (I’ll live with that), but if you read most (not all) of my posts you’ll see I’m fairly balanced in my opinion.

You’ll also see I don’t blame Ashton for everything, he was part of a collective from the owner Lansdown, through Ashton to Lee Johnson (and then Dean Holden) that put our club in an awful position.

I’ve met Ashton a couple of times too, been in circles where he operates, so there’s some basis / foundation to my opinion.

Again, I’ve always quite liked Ipswich, I just don’t like the way Ashton operates on the pure football side of things. As an administrator, operating offer (COO) I have little to moan about. But he interfered on the pure football side too much and that caused us to end up with a weakened squad and huge losses.

Maybe he’s learned from his experiences at City, Oxford and Watford. If so, good luck to him.

Does this sound like the view of some one who dislikes Ashton just because it’s en vogue amongst City fans? It’s not, you’ll see above I even give him credit.

I totally get the “look at this bloke from another club coming on our forum giving it this and that”, we do the same on our forum. You wanna read some of the Barnsley fans coming on OTIB!

If you think I’m not being fair, that’s fine, happy to debate. I may even concede on things.
You got a new job Phil on 19:19 - Jun 17 with 2471 viewsNthQldITFC

You got a new job Phil on 18:41 - Jun 17 by FevsBCFC

Probably worth going back to reading my first ever post on here (just under two years ago)

Your fans asked the same question then. They asked for someone to come on here and tell them. I joined TWTD / took up the challenge, to try to give a balanced view. Churchman thinks I’m the spawn of Satan (I’ll live with that), but if you read most (not all) of my posts you’ll see I’m fairly balanced in my opinion.

You’ll also see I don’t blame Ashton for everything, he was part of a collective from the owner Lansdown, through Ashton to Lee Johnson (and then Dean Holden) that put our club in an awful position.

I’ve met Ashton a couple of times too, been in circles where he operates, so there’s some basis / foundation to my opinion.

Again, I’ve always quite liked Ipswich, I just don’t like the way Ashton operates on the pure football side of things. As an administrator, operating offer (COO) I have little to moan about. But he interfered on the pure football side too much and that caused us to end up with a weakened squad and huge losses.

Maybe he’s learned from his experiences at City, Oxford and Watford. If so, good luck to him.

Does this sound like the view of some one who dislikes Ashton just because it’s en vogue amongst City fans? It’s not, you’ll see above I even give him credit.

I totally get the “look at this bloke from another club coming on our forum giving it this and that”, we do the same on our forum. You wanna read some of the Barnsley fans coming on OTIB!

If you think I’m not being fair, that’s fine, happy to debate. I may even concede on things.

Thanks for that concise summary.

From everything I've heard about Ashton here, one thing he doesn't do is interfere on the football side of things.

Given that you 'have little to moan about' on the admin/COO side (despite not liking him for his interference in footballing matters) that's really rather reassuring for us Town fans, not that many of us needed any kind of reassurance really.

But you've saved me from trawling through 70 pages of bile .

Good luck to Bristol City for the upcoming season. If there's a 'City' relegated to the third division, I sincerely hope it's not your lot!

Edit: Strewth! I've just noticed that there will be 9 (nine) clubs with the appendage 'City' in the second division next season, and not one of them has won as much as either of the 2 clubs with the noble appendage of 'Town'!
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 19:29]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

You got a new job Phil on 19:23 - Jun 17 with 2440 viewsSwansea_Blue

You got a new job Phil on 17:00 - Jun 17 by J2BLUE

How did you end up on there?

It's embarrassing that they keep this up. It's embarrassing for them that they think they are our equal and trying to create some sort of rivalry. They are a nothing club. They shouldn't be on our radar. Ashton jumped at the chance to drop down a division to join us. No wonder they are still upset.

In fairness they themselves are embarrassed. Imagine if other fans thought one of Frimmers’ melt downs represented all of us!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

You got a new job Phil on 19:28 - Jun 17 with 2416 viewsKieran_Knows

The fact that you can’t name a single Bristol City player says more about you than it does about someone who has a knowledge about more than just their own team. 🤷🏻‍♂️

FWIW re transfer gossip, it’s pretty common to see the likes of Pete O’Rourke listing both Bristol City and Ipswich Town in many tweets, especially ones that are primarily agent talk only.

Players like Morsy, Luongo, Chaplin, Burns, Broadhead, Ladapo, Woolfenden, Burgess, Walton, etc, etc, game styles are well known to many of us, because at previous times they’ve been opponents in Lg1 or Champ, in Burns case our own player, or have been targets, Walton 3/4 years back, or scouted by some of our forum members who worked for City in the past.

Our players you’ve mentioned in your post would walk in to your team any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

You got a new job Phil on 20:11 - Jun 17 with 2343 viewsChurchman

You got a new job Phil on 18:41 - Jun 17 by FevsBCFC

I’ve seen your considerable number of posts on OTIB (and others) and the stuff you came up with two years ago. Fair and balanced? Really?? Well you know the answer to that. Your forum, your opinion - which is fine but presenting it as something different on here is wrong, in my view.

This idea that ‘you warned us about Ashton’. You never answered the question of what we were supposed to do about it. Pitchforks and torches? We didn’t appoint him. The owners who bankroll the club did that.

But the real question is what exactly has Ashton done wrong for ITFC in two years beyond the dinky cap, the celebration at Wycombe, the Office style celebration in April? We were a club with no receptionist, no structure, a filthy run down stadium, a poor team wallowing in L1 heading south, a terrible manager, no interest, no hope. The most miserable club in England, albeit a still well supported one.

That isn’t the case now. ITFC supporters are optimistic and excited by it, as the numbers attending home and away will testify. What’s wrong with that? They should be. For the first time in decades this club is going in the right direction.

If the posters on those OTIB 70 pages want us to fail, I’ll live with that.
You got a new job Phil on 20:23 - Jun 17 with 2317 viewsFrimleyBlue

You got a new job Phil on 19:23 - Jun 17 by Swansea_Blue

In fairness they themselves are embarrassed. Imagine if other fans thought one of Frimmers’ melt downs represented all of us!

Fair point.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

You got a new job Phil on 20:45 - Jun 17 with 2282 viewsFevsBCFC

You got a new job Phil on 19:28 - Jun 17 by Kieran_Knows

Our players you’ve mentioned in your post would walk in to your team any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Well, you’ll get to see next season how good your players are next season. Hope they back your evaluation.
You got a new job Phil on 20:52 - Jun 17 with 2247 viewsFixed_It

Just been to have a look over at the 70 (SEVENTY) pager. Pretty weird I'm sure you'll admit, although you seem to have contributed your fair share.
Anyway, you could be right about 'culture shock' - but our games last season against Rotherham and Burnley suggest that we'll adapt just fine, so please don't worry on that front. If you want affirmation, just research the comments made by Burnley fans after our two games against them in the cup. I'm guessing they weren't as complimentary about your lot last season. But maybe you already know that, seeing as you take such an interest in teams across the EFL. Especially ones called Ipswich...
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 20:53]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

You got a new job Phil on 20:55 - Jun 17 with 2235 viewsFevsBCFC

You got a new job Phil on 20:11 - Jun 17 by Churchman

I’ve seen your considerable number of posts on OTIB (and others) and the stuff you came up with two years ago. Fair and balanced? Really?? Well you know the answer to that. Your forum, your opinion - which is fine but presenting it as something different on here is wrong, in my view.

This idea that ‘you warned us about Ashton’. You never answered the question of what we were supposed to do about it. Pitchforks and torches? We didn’t appoint him. The owners who bankroll the club did that.

But the real question is what exactly has Ashton done wrong for ITFC in two years beyond the dinky cap, the celebration at Wycombe, the Office style celebration in April? We were a club with no receptionist, no structure, a filthy run down stadium, a poor team wallowing in L1 heading south, a terrible manager, no interest, no hope. The most miserable club in England, albeit a still well supported one.

That isn’t the case now. ITFC supporters are optimistic and excited by it, as the numbers attending home and away will testify. What’s wrong with that? They should be. For the first time in decades this club is going in the right direction.

If the posters on those OTIB 70 pages want us to fail, I’ll live with that.

What are you on about?

The only thing I suggested you doing was keep an eye on the profit and loss / FFP versus your squad strength.

If you’ve kept an eye on it, and are happy, then great. Some of your fans posts on here show they have a far better grasp than you do.

You may continue to go from strength to strength. If you do, I’ll happily come on here and say Ashton has done a good job, found a good club to influence / take forward.

As per my OTIB post today (if you actually read it), I’m not gonna make wild predictions about who’ll finish above who, I’ve no idea what your squad will look like in 6 weeks time. If you sign players like Simms, you’ll improve your team hugely from what it looks like currently.

I’m glad you’re optimistic about the future. It sounds like your Evans was our Ashton…and everything is rosy.

Good luck for the season ahead.

If you travel to Ashton Gate, let me know, I’ll buy you a pint.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 20:57]
You got a new job Phil on 21:27 - Jun 17 with 2176 viewsCoastalblue

You got a new job Phil on 20:55 - Jun 17 by FevsBCFC

What are you on about?

The only thing I suggested you doing was keep an eye on the profit and loss / FFP versus your squad strength.

If you’ve kept an eye on it, and are happy, then great. Some of your fans posts on here show they have a far better grasp than you do.

You may continue to go from strength to strength. If you do, I’ll happily come on here and say Ashton has done a good job, found a good club to influence / take forward.

As per my OTIB post today (if you actually read it), I’m not gonna make wild predictions about who’ll finish above who, I’ve no idea what your squad will look like in 6 weeks time. If you sign players like Simms, you’ll improve your team hugely from what it looks like currently.

I’m glad you’re optimistic about the future. It sounds like your Evans was our Ashton…and everything is rosy.

Good luck for the season ahead.

If you travel to Ashton Gate, let me know, I’ll buy you a pint.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 20:57]

I think a big part of the problem is that we came from such a low place that any CEO was going to be a massive upgrade, one who'd worked in football before even more so. But to be fair to Ashton, reading that thread it's like he's pushing himself forward as the face of the club, in reality we don't actually hear than much from him.

So far, and I'll concede this may change over time, he barely seems to have put a foot wrong. We do seem lucky to have one of the brighter young Managers in this country (who I'm certain would be gone if there were any interference from Ashton) and after the early on inevitable scatter gun in the tranfer market, including one or two that admittedly looked like Ashton signings, he seems very much to have gone out and delivered what the manager asked for.

It is very possible he has learnt from past experiences and amended his ways, or is now in a role where his job is much more defined and narrow. I think we all laugh at his David Brentisms at times, even here, but if it gets us what we want then we'll forgive.

I actually love Brizzle as a place and think it's high time the City should have a side that's dining at the top table, it seems incredible you've never had that, and would love to see you come up with us, genuinely.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

You got a new job Phil on 21:46 - Jun 17 with 2136 viewsthatbdude

God thats so tinpot, obsessed with us and force a rivalry because of a former director.

For the size of a city like Bristol there footballing presence is embarissing.

Poll: Who going down?

You got a new job Phil on 22:00 - Jun 17 with 2107 viewsChurchman

You got a new job Phil on 21:27 - Jun 17 by Coastalblue

I think a big part of the problem is that we came from such a low place that any CEO was going to be a massive upgrade, one who'd worked in football before even more so. But to be fair to Ashton, reading that thread it's like he's pushing himself forward as the face of the club, in reality we don't actually hear than much from him.

So far, and I'll concede this may change over time, he barely seems to have put a foot wrong. We do seem lucky to have one of the brighter young Managers in this country (who I'm certain would be gone if there were any interference from Ashton) and after the early on inevitable scatter gun in the tranfer market, including one or two that admittedly looked like Ashton signings, he seems very much to have gone out and delivered what the manager asked for.

It is very possible he has learnt from past experiences and amended his ways, or is now in a role where his job is much more defined and narrow. I think we all laugh at his David Brentisms at times, even here, but if it gets us what we want then we'll forgive.

I actually love Brizzle as a place and think it's high time the City should have a side that's dining at the top table, it seems incredible you've never had that, and would love to see you come up with us, genuinely.

Bristol is a lovely city. One of my favourites and that’s before you get to the magnificent SS Great Britain. The area around it is lovely too.

You are right, we don’t see much of him during the season and nor should we. I think he was more in the public eye at the start because the club was such a mess and so was Cook. That also would explain some of the odd mud at wall signings.

Let’s be honest, I doubt he’s everyone’s cup of tea to work for. Unless you’re into bullsh£t bingo, brentishness of course. But he genuinely seems to have a good relationship at the moment with KM which is key. From Town in 5 and other stuff, the camp seems genuinely a happy one.

I suspect his remit is very narrow. He may be left alone but he’s also said not a day goes by without some sort of contact from one of the owners. Recent visitors Steed and Schwartz don’t seem the kind of people to be mugged off. I hope not. The Chairman is no fool either.
You got a new job Phil on 22:37 - Jun 17 with 2042 viewsketton_itfc

You got a new job Phil on 22:00 - Jun 17 by Churchman

Bristol is a lovely city. One of my favourites and that’s before you get to the magnificent SS Great Britain. The area around it is lovely too.

You are right, we don’t see much of him during the season and nor should we. I think he was more in the public eye at the start because the club was such a mess and so was Cook. That also would explain some of the odd mud at wall signings.

Let’s be honest, I doubt he’s everyone’s cup of tea to work for. Unless you’re into bullsh£t bingo, brentishness of course. But he genuinely seems to have a good relationship at the moment with KM which is key. From Town in 5 and other stuff, the camp seems genuinely a happy one.

I suspect his remit is very narrow. He may be left alone but he’s also said not a day goes by without some sort of contact from one of the owners. Recent visitors Steed and Schwartz don’t seem the kind of people to be mugged off. I hope not. The Chairman is no fool either.

I think the key is Mike O'Leary. I think Ashton was his protege from their WBA days and I think he keeps Ashton in check. I thought it was tellling last summer when Steed came over and on leaving was quite bullish about how the club was performing and that he'd be happier when we make a profit. This was part of his conversation to Ifollow.

“I've told Mark (Ashton) that I’ll be impressed when we stop losing money and start winning games! Frankly, that’s how it works!" he declared, with Ashton sat to his right.

“We’ve got other opportunities to fund away from Ipswich, so when Mark comes to us he’s got to make a case.

“I have lots of emails from people who want to spend my money and very few want to come and talk about what they’ve done with the money we’ve already given them.

“To be up front about it, we have a saying in Arizona which says ‘don’t piss on my boot and tell me it’s raining’. We work with a lot of CEOs and they all have various ways of trying to hide things. We know all the tricks."

I can't see Steed tolerating Ashton if he was as bad as we've been told.
You got a new job Phil on 22:39 - Jun 17 with 2035 viewsbobbyramsey

Ashton is nowhere near the top of the food chain, he’s but a small cog in a very big ITFC wheel. I don’t think he makes many crucial decisions, unlike when he was at BC maybe?
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 22:40]
You got a new job Phil on 22:49 - Jun 17 with 2009 viewslizzibee

It's somewhat embarrassing to have such an obsession over Ipswich purely because who our CEO is. Certainly looking forward to the games against us next season - We've got Super Mark Ashton!
You got a new job Phil on 01:04 - Jun 18 with 1915 viewsGuthrum

You got a new job Phil on 17:47 - Jun 17 by burnbudgiesburn

The weirdest rant on Ashton on there is telling us to beware he'll sell our players at the drop of a hat if we are offered big money.

As if that isn't the blueprint for 95% of clubs in the champ.

Plus the suggestion that we're going to find the Championship a nasty shock, despite us having spent the bulk of the last four decades at that level (with excursions above as well as below).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

You got a new job Phil on 02:51 - Jun 18 with 1888 viewsIllinoisblue

You got a new job Phil on 18:03 - Jun 17 by gainsboroughblue

As is the klaxon they presumably have set up when a thread references their thread here.

Sirens ringing out all over BS3 for the last few hours!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

You got a new job Phil on 05:46 - Jun 18 with 1860 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You got a new job Phil on 02:51 - Jun 18 by Illinoisblue

Sirens ringing out all over BS3 for the last few hours!

The absolute delusion of the fools on there.

"The MANAGER signs a new deal and the CEO does 7 minutes in front of camera while there is a written article giving McKenna's thoughts. In fact , most of the Tweets involving McKenna also have Ashton's mug. On Twitter, of 7 articles involving the manager only 2 have just the manager, while Ashton gets his 7 minute video ."

Firstly, who cares if the CEO does a 7 minute video. No-one's forcing you to watch it.

Secondly, KM did a similar length video, which that poster has conveniently missed, such is their obsession.

70 pages! The state of it!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

You got a new job Phil on 06:51 - Jun 18 with 1826 viewsBlueOura

You got a new job Phil on 19:28 - Jun 17 by Kieran_Knows

That's not actually true though is it. Bristol City have a decent Championship squad and have already made some useful additions. A number of our squad have held their own in the Championship previously but I can't think of any who have really excelled.

Of course, we don't know who we are going to sign yet but I think it's really important we keep our feet on the ground and don't set unrealistic expectations. A number of our fans are going to be in for a big shock next season when we actually lose a few games on the spin, and we undoubtedly will at some point because its a really tough league.
You got a new job Phil on 08:02 - Jun 18 with 1768 viewswkj

70 pages to discuss the dislike of someone in power? That puts all of the TWTD Jeremy Corbyn posts to shame.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

You got a new job Phil on 08:17 - Jun 18 with 1762 viewsChurchman

You got a new job Phil on 05:46 - Jun 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

The absolute delusion of the fools on there.

"The MANAGER signs a new deal and the CEO does 7 minutes in front of camera while there is a written article giving McKenna's thoughts. In fact , most of the Tweets involving McKenna also have Ashton's mug. On Twitter, of 7 articles involving the manager only 2 have just the manager, while Ashton gets his 7 minute video ."

Firstly, who cares if the CEO does a 7 minute video. No-one's forcing you to watch it.

Secondly, KM did a similar length video, which that poster has conveniently missed, such is their obsession.

70 pages! The state of it!

In their obsession they have a habit of taking events, comments out of context and seeing what they wish to see. An easy thing to do if you have an agenda.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024