Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... 16:46 - May 27 with 11652 viewsZx1988

Only the f**king CEO of Sky Betting and Gaming.

Shameful.
[Post edited 27 May 2023 17:04]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 16:53 - May 27 with 5118 viewsJ2BLUE

Only the CEO of the sponsor of the entire football league?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Imagine football without sponsors. (n/t) on 16:57 - May 27 with 5096 viewsBloots

AKA - "Elite Pete"

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:01 - May 27 with 5074 viewsGlasgowBlue

The CEO of Sky Bet is the guest of honour at the final of the Sky Bet Championship Play Off Final?

I’m gobsmacked.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:08 - May 27 with 5036 viewsZx1988

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:01 - May 27 by GlasgowBlue

The CEO of Sky Bet is the guest of honour at the final of the Sky Bet Championship Play Off Final?

I’m gobsmacked.

It's just the fact that roles like that are usually filled by a member of the Royal Family or suchlike, with seniority depending on the occasion. Not a chap whose job is to run a company, the success of which (the gaming side, at least), hinges upon the development of games and apps that are designed to be as addictive as possible.

I certainly wouldn't describe that as a position worthy of honour (my views on the Royal Family notwithstanding!).

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:09 - May 27 with 5028 viewsStokieBlue

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:01 - May 27 by GlasgowBlue

I’m gobsmacked.

Doesn't have to be this way though. However, only the services which court the betting industry seem to prosper.

An example from podcasts.

Not the top 20. Good podcast, going strong but sponsored by Betfair including a betting pod once a week.

D3D4. Good podcast but finishing this season. Was done in conjunction with "the big step" charity trying to minimise the exposure to gambling in football. Tried to support itself with Patreon and failed. It's finishing at the end of the season after about 10 years.

Now obviously some of that is people not wanting to pay for content but having to rely of gambling firms isn't great either.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:11 - May 27 with 5011 viewsJ2BLUE

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:08 - May 27 by Zx1988

It's just the fact that roles like that are usually filled by a member of the Royal Family or suchlike, with seniority depending on the occasion. Not a chap whose job is to run a company, the success of which (the gaming side, at least), hinges upon the development of games and apps that are designed to be as addictive as possible.

I certainly wouldn't describe that as a position worthy of honour (my views on the Royal Family notwithstanding!).

The same thing happened with representatives from Carabao at the cup final. I doubt most people noticed.

I suspect this was posted because anything anti gambling goes down well on here and you thought you would have 5 up votes by now.
[Post edited 27 May 2023 17:16]

Truly impaired.

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:12 - May 27 with 4994 viewsGlasgowBlue

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:09 - May 27 by StokieBlue

Doesn't have to be this way though. However, only the services which court the betting industry seem to prosper.

An example from podcasts.

Not the top 20. Good podcast, going strong but sponsored by Betfair including a betting pod once a week.

D3D4. Good podcast but finishing this season. Was done in conjunction with "the big step" charity trying to minimise the exposure to gambling in football. Tried to support itself with Patreon and failed. It's finishing at the end of the season after about 10 years.

Now obviously some of that is people not wanting to pay for content but having to rely of gambling firms isn't great either.

SB

But that isn’t the issue with the op. The EFL is sponsored by a betting firm so a very odd take to complain about their CEO being the guest of honour.

Iron Lion Zion

Back of the net. (n/t) on 17:15 - May 27 with 4975 viewsBloots

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:11 - May 27 by J2BLUE

The same thing happened with representatives from Carabao at the cup final. I doubt most people noticed.

I suspect this was posted because anything anti gambling goes down well on here and you thought you would have 5 up votes by now.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Login to get fewer ads

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:16 - May 27 with 4957 viewsZx1988

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:12 - May 27 by GlasgowBlue

But that isn’t the issue with the op. The EFL is sponsored by a betting firm so a very odd take to complain about their CEO being the guest of honour.

Genuine question, as I don't know the answer - was the CEO of Nationwide introduced to the teams in the 2000 playoff final?

I've just not seen the CEO of a sponsor take this role before, and never would have thought (given that the role is usually given to a Royal or suchlike) that it would form part of the 'lead sponsor' package.

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:17 - May 27 with 4945 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:11 - May 27 by J2BLUE

Of course it does, TWTD likes to nanny everyone. Especially people like SB, who even attacks my personal carbon emissions.

I didn’t even read the Stop Oil thread but I’m sure it was full of support!
'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:17 - May 27 with 4931 viewsGlasgowBlue

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:08 - May 27 by Zx1988

It’s the Championship Play Off Final, not the bleedin’ FA Cup Final.

Iron Lion Zion

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:23 - May 27 with 4860 viewsStokieBlue

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:12 - May 27 by GlasgowBlue

It's a general point around the subject at hand as the first paragraph in my reply should indicate.

SB

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:25 - May 27 with 4791 viewsStokieBlue

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:17 - May 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Of course it does, TWTD likes to nanny everyone. Especially people like SB, who even attacks my personal carbon emissions.

I didn’t even read the Stop Oil thread but I’m sure it was full of support!

If you don't want people to comment on your carbon emissions then perhaps you shouldn't boast about them on a public forum.

SB

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:31 - May 27 with 4737 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:25 - May 27 by StokieBlue

If you don't want people to comment on your carbon emissions then perhaps you shouldn't boast about them on a public forum.

SB

I didn’t actually. I believe Lucan posted a thread after we were speaking off here but that was good enough for you to go on a tangent about it on a thread months later.
'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:37 - May 27 with 4675 viewsbrazil1982

I recall a Rumbelows employee being chosen to present the league/ Rembelows Cup years ago.
'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 23:01 - May 27 with 4374 viewswaveneyblue

BlueBadger... we have history, appreciate it.

But why the hell are you up voting this?

It's right up there with the most ridiculous statements on here....
'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 23:52 - May 27 with 4313 viewsSwansea_Blue

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 17:16 - May 27 by Zx1988

Genuine question, as I don't know the answer - was the CEO of Nationwide introduced to the teams in the 2000 playoff final?

I've just not seen the CEO of a sponsor take this role before, and never would have thought (given that the role is usually given to a Royal or suchlike) that it would form part of the 'lead sponsor' package.

I think sponsors are always included in the VIP group who meet the players, just normally have a low profile. It’s obvious a Sky Bet box would be there; I assumed the OP was more a comment on the desirability of gambling sponsorship (which is being reined in a bit, so they know it’s a problem).
[Post edited 28 May 2023 10:07]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 06:30 - May 28 with 4128 viewsdissboy2

silly season started early on twtd
'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 08:12 - May 28 with 4036 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Upvoted - because it is utterly and completely shameful that the EFL is so dominated by gambling. The entire Play off final was like a moving advert for gambling - in the ad breaks, during the game on all the boards and hoardings and players shirts - it is rammed down people's throats to such an extent that they are trying to normalise gambling. Gambling is a curse, it is a highly addictive disease that ruins lives. If individual adults want to gamble, that is fine it's their choice, but this advertising influences kids and other vulnerable and weak willed people to believe that because it is so prominent, it is normal. It isn't. In the same way that alcohol and smoking is banned from advertising so should gambling be.

Poll: would you rather

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 08:36 - May 28 with 4006 viewsPinewoodblue

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 08:12 - May 28 by LegendofthePhoenix

Upvoted - because it is utterly and completely shameful that the EFL is so dominated by gambling. The entire Play off final was like a moving advert for gambling - in the ad breaks, during the game on all the boards and hoardings and players shirts - it is rammed down people's throats to such an extent that they are trying to normalise gambling. Gambling is a curse, it is a highly addictive disease that ruins lives. If individual adults want to gamble, that is fine it's their choice, but this advertising influences kids and other vulnerable and weak willed people to believe that because it is so prominent, it is normal. It isn't. In the same way that alcohol and smoking is banned from advertising so should gambling be.

Don’t the Premier League intend to limit gambling adverts on football shirts?

Not going to be allowed on front but OK on sleeve, and presumably back of shorts.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 09:02 - May 28 with 3962 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 08:36 - May 28 by Pinewoodblue

Don’t the Premier League intend to limit gambling adverts on football shirts?

Not going to be allowed on front but OK on sleeve, and presumably back of shorts.

I think that's correct. But as is the case so often with self regulation, it doesn't go far enough. Government clearly want to keep the gambling revenues rolling in, and are too short sighted to see that if it stops, there will be more for people to spend on other things that will benefit other parts of the economy.

Poll: would you rather

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 09:41 - May 28 with 3906 viewsLord_Lucan

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 09:02 - May 28 by LegendofthePhoenix

I think that's correct. But as is the case so often with self regulation, it doesn't go far enough. Government clearly want to keep the gambling revenues rolling in, and are too short sighted to see that if it stops, there will be more for people to spend on other things that will benefit other parts of the economy.

Although I have a possibly irrational dislike of gambling and all that goes with it, I think it's a bit weird to criticise the fact that the sponsor is there as a guest of honour.

If I sponsor an advertising board at ITFC I would appreciate a free end of season part microwaved dinner and the opportunity to buy some overpriced wine in The SBR suite.

If I were to sponsor the league I would think I would warrant a free seat and some free bubbly.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 09:41 - May 28 with 3912 viewsJ2BLUE

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 08:12 - May 28 by LegendofthePhoenix

That's a completely different issue than the bizarre OP. It's obvious why he was there.

If you want to argue gambling companies should not have any place in football advertising then that is a completely different thing.

Truly impaired.

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 09:53 - May 28 with 3875 viewsPhilTWTD

'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 09:41 - May 28 by J2BLUE

That's a completely different issue than the bizarre OP. It's obvious why he was there.

If you want to argue gambling companies should not have any place in football advertising then that is a completely different thing.

I think that was probably the point the OP was making.
'Guest of honour' at the Championship play-off final... on 09:59 - May 28 with 3848 viewsDubtractor

This is my take too. I've no problem with people choosing to gamble, personal choice and all that, but the way it is rammed down your throat during any coverage of football really bothers me.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024