Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Argyle fan in peace 12:11 - Apr 20 with 16962 viewsPAFCSurrey

morning all,

So I keep my eye on your forum (and Owlstalk - which can be pretty funny when they lose) and just wondered what your current consensus (as much as you can get on a forum with a million differing views!) on how it'll end up for us, you and Wednesday come the last day.

You're clearly playing the much, much better football than the pair of us, but have 2 very tough looking games now. Cambridge at home looks, on paper, an "easy" one but i'm expecting it to be anything but.

Gut feel?
Argyle fan in peace on 12:13 - Apr 20 with 8858 viewsitfcjoe

Gut feel

1 - Plymouth
2 - Ipswich

And presume Sheff Weds 3rd....!

Just feel that we have 3 toughish away games and that you'll do enough to stay ahead of us

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:13 - Apr 20 with 8856 viewsIllinoisblue

You are up, couple of cracking away wins to set up for 3 easy home games. Not writing off Wednesday yet, either. Fear it will go to the very last day. Saturday is massive for us. Don’t want to go to Barnsley on Tuesday needing to win to get back in top two.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:16 - Apr 20 with 8800 viewsSaleAway

We know we're playing well, but 20 years of disappointment means we're all terrified. Next two games are key....

Don't think we're looking up, more down.... as long as we finish top two, we'll all be happy, and I think we're probably expecting you guys to finish off well. You always seem to find a way, which is a valuable trait to have at this point in time... Its why Tuesday was so big for us, as its the sort of game we've struggled with in the past.

I'm actually hoping that the next two games aren't as bad as we fear, we do tend to play better against teams that come at us, so playing two teams that also need wins, might make it a bit more open. The well organised low block is more where we struggle.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Argyle fan in peace on 12:16 - Apr 20 with 8783 viewsGeoffSentence

The title is yours to lose, and I cannot see you doing that, those last minute deflected winners keep on coming.

We are in pole position for that second place, having a point more and played a game less than Wednesday. We do have the more difficult run-in, but recently we have started making light of these tricky looking games, so I expect us to make it. With only 8 points from the last 12 needed to keep ahead of Wednesday we also have a bit of room for maneuver.

Top four to stay as it is, for me.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Argyle fan in peace on 12:17 - Apr 20 with 8763 viewsgeg1992

I'm still extremely nervous.
I think Argyle will finish top, and well deserved.
Not sure who will finish 2nd but it's all in our hands. Tough 2 x away matches coming up though. Get through those and I hope we will be OK.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:21 - Apr 20 with 8646 viewsLord_Lucan

My gut feel is that we will both go up automatically.

You deserve to go up as champions as you have really kept in there despite many saying your squad isn't big enough, having said that I think we might pip you at the post.

I hope I don't sound patronising but I think we are a better side but fair play to you and you deserve your success - and deserve to win the league.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Argyle fan in peace on 12:22 - Apr 20 with 8652 viewsPAFCSurrey

Argyle fan in peace on 12:16 - Apr 20 by SaleAway

We know we're playing well, but 20 years of disappointment means we're all terrified. Next two games are key....

Don't think we're looking up, more down.... as long as we finish top two, we'll all be happy, and I think we're probably expecting you guys to finish off well. You always seem to find a way, which is a valuable trait to have at this point in time... Its why Tuesday was so big for us, as its the sort of game we've struggled with in the past.

I'm actually hoping that the next two games aren't as bad as we fear, we do tend to play better against teams that come at us, so playing two teams that also need wins, might make it a bit more open. The well organised low block is more where we struggle.

thanks guys, this reply is sort of to you all really. Its interesting as i'm far from confident, at all really. Even now. On paper our run in looks easy, but we've not really been playing well in any of the recent games, losing 2-0 at home to Lincoln a week or two back was just terrible, an awful game.

We beat Shrews but they were on their knees and it was far from comfortable

I think we're all a lot more negative around our own clubs arent we though. As the smaller club in the trio i'd be distraught if we didnt make it now.

Its almost for me, not what we do, but what you and Wednesday do / dont do if that makes sense.
Argyle fan in peace on 12:23 - Apr 20 with 8610 viewsjp_itfc

Gut feel is Argyle 1st us 2nd but still a helluva lot to do. I thought you were running out of steam a little, but have grabbed a couple of crucial wins that should see you over the line which considering the mounting injuries you have and the difference in budgets is very impressive.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 12:34]
Login to get fewer ads

At this stage I think you'll make autos on 12:26 - Apr 20 with 8538 viewsDyland

Always bounced back, durable, and still getting points from spawny deflected goals :)

Fair play, truth be told.

I don't really care who finishes where except for Town making autos, and it's very exciting. Very tough run in for us, softer for Pligrims. But anything can happen. Saying that, I've enjoyed Owls's form dropping off a cliff, if only for their stupid offside equaliser at Hillsborough, born in no small measure from fan actions that crossed a line. Karma if Town beat them to autos.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:27 - Apr 20 with 8518 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I have said it for a long time and it hasn't happened yet, but I think you are going to crack. Scraping through games when not at your best is the mark of a good team but it just feels like something is going to give in these last four games. Fleetwood away on the last day of the season make my stomach churn, but I really wouldn't want to be going to Vale Park either.

Will we be able to capitalise? It will be nervy. Looking at the fixtures, it is hard to feel overly confident but it just feels like we clicked into gear at precisely the right time and I fancy us to take all 12 points available, despite how bonkers that sounds.

I think somewhat cruelly, we will finish top, and Wednesday will mop up second. They've been so poor for so long but just won't go away. I don't know, I just have a bad feeling for Plymouth, despite how relentless you have been.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:27 - Apr 20 with 8507 viewsBigCommon

I feel like Plymouth are up... At worse they'll get pipped to the title, but finish top 2.
You showed a bit of grit in your last two, which, should see you through, now..
Argyle fan in peace on 12:27 - Apr 20 with 8501 viewsITFC_Forever

I think the order will stay as it is.... I think Plymouth will do enough to stay top, especially given the relatively straightforward run-in (on paper anyway!).

I think we will get the two wins and two draws we need, but it may well be we won't require that, as the form SWFC are on suggests they will drop a few more points.

Good luck, and hopefully see you next season - 2023, the year for Paul Mariner.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Argyle fan in peace on 12:28 - Apr 20 with 8474 viewsitfcjoe

Argyle fan in peace on 12:22 - Apr 20 by PAFCSurrey

thanks guys, this reply is sort of to you all really. Its interesting as i'm far from confident, at all really. Even now. On paper our run in looks easy, but we've not really been playing well in any of the recent games, losing 2-0 at home to Lincoln a week or two back was just terrible, an awful game.

We beat Shrews but they were on their knees and it was far from comfortable

I think we're all a lot more negative around our own clubs arent we though. As the smaller club in the trio i'd be distraught if we didnt make it now.

Its almost for me, not what we do, but what you and Wednesday do / dont do if that makes sense.

I think a couple of away games (and the 6 points) were the perfect tonic after that Lincoln game with the crowd then getting edgy at Home etc......really taken the pressure off as can afford a slip up now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gutsy prediction on 12:28 - Apr 20 with 8472 viewsDyland

Argyle fan in peace on 12:27 - Apr 20 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I have said it for a long time and it hasn't happened yet, but I think you are going to crack. Scraping through games when not at your best is the mark of a good team but it just feels like something is going to give in these last four games. Fleetwood away on the last day of the season make my stomach churn, but I really wouldn't want to be going to Vale Park either.

Will we be able to capitalise? It will be nervy. Looking at the fixtures, it is hard to feel overly confident but it just feels like we clicked into gear at precisely the right time and I fancy us to take all 12 points available, despite how bonkers that sounds.

I think somewhat cruelly, we will finish top, and Wednesday will mop up second. They've been so poor for so long but just won't go away. I don't know, I just have a bad feeling for Plymouth, despite how relentless you have been.

You should bookmark this Slippers.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:29 - Apr 20 with 8471 viewsunbelievablue

Sehr gut feel danke.

There's definitely not a consensus. Using the predictor thing (under Interactive on the top banner), my latest iteration has us winning the league by one point, you lot second, Wednesday third.

I'd quite like Wednesday to miss out, and my preference is for Posh to go up in the playoffs.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Argyle fan in peace on 12:30 - Apr 20 with 8449 viewslizzibee

My gut feel is it will be us both in the top two. I don't. honestly care in which position we finish, the aim is to get out of this league. Wednesday have a game less and aren't playing well with low confidence.
Good luck!
Argyle fan in peace on 12:33 - Apr 20 with 8367 viewsPAFCSurrey

Argyle fan in peace on 12:28 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

I think a couple of away games (and the 6 points) were the perfect tonic after that Lincoln game with the crowd then getting edgy at Home etc......really taken the pressure off as can afford a slip up now

I'd agree with that yes, after Lincoln with Exeter away up next I thought it was all over truth be told.

and then Cheltenham equalised (sorry) and I felt a little better
Argyle fan in peace on 12:34 - Apr 20 with 8341 viewsessexpaul64

I believe that a win Saturday we will be going up. But, a draw or worse and we will struggle. COYB 💙⚽️
Argyle fan in peace on 12:35 - Apr 20 with 8298 viewsnodge_blue

I'm pretty nervous about the next two game away to Peterborough and Barnsley. We've never won at Peterborough and Barnsley will be right up for it. I've got a horrible feeling we could come out of those with only a point.

So I think it still needs Wednesday to not win all of their last 3.

However, if we did win say v Peterborough then I think we will go up regardless of what Sheffield do.

And Plymouth have a run at home where I think you win all 3.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:36 - Apr 20 with 8259 viewsBiGDonnie

Gut feel is that you'll get a couple more lucky, deflected winners and then next season, after we finish 2nd behind you, we'll smash you for 6 points and a fair few goals in the Championship

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:36 - Apr 20 with 8265 viewsOldTractor

Was going for Plymouth top and us 2nd - however having just played a stubborn Port Vale side and seeing as you play them away on your last game of season I think it will all change on the last day with us pipping you to the title.
Argyle fan in peace on 12:37 - Apr 20 with 8239 viewsLankHenners

Gut feel is Plymouth Ipswich 1 2. Thought if we got ahead of you by a couple of points after the last 4 games (which I thought was very possible) we'd hold on for the title.

As it is I can't see us getting more over the next 4 games than you. Don't think your home games are necessarily easy despite the relative league positions as they're 3 teams that are very good at making things awkward but it would be a surprise if you got fewer than 7 points from them.

Very possible we only get 2 points from the next 2 which could potentially mean a straight shootout of needing to equal or better Wednesday's results over the final 2 matches which we should manage.

I'll, humbly, accept your assessment that Town are currently the best team in the league but you've certainly found a level of resilience that any team that gets top 2 in any division needs. And while we can all roll our eyes at some of the wild deflections and last minute goals that have got you to where you are at the end of the day that comes through intangibles of belief, momentum, desire etc. which you've clearly got in bucketloads.

Paul Mariner would have liked to see the top 2 as it is go up in any order anyway, and that's good enough for me.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:38 - Apr 20 with 8181 viewsunbelievablue

Just for balance as everyone has been lovely...

P!ss off back to Devon.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Gutsy prediction on 12:40 - Apr 20 with 8142 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Gutsy prediction on 12:28 - Apr 20 by Dyland

You should bookmark this Slippers.

Football is cruel! Someone is going to feel really hard done by, I just pray it isn't us.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Argyle fan in peace on 12:41 - Apr 20 with 8111 viewsbilllm

Argyle fan in peace on 12:16 - Apr 20 by GeoffSentence

The title is yours to lose, and I cannot see you doing that, those last minute deflected winners keep on coming.

We are in pole position for that second place, having a point more and played a game less than Wednesday. We do have the more difficult run-in, but recently we have started making light of these tricky looking games, so I expect us to make it. With only 8 points from the last 12 needed to keep ahead of Wednesday we also have a bit of room for maneuver.

Top four to stay as it is, for me.

The deflections yes, luckiest team I've ever seen,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024