Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monbiot laying into Brand 08:58 - Mar 10 with 9110 viewsStokieBlue

I didn't realise what Brand was pushing on his channels over the last few years:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/10/russell-brand-politics-pub

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:01 - Mar 10 with 3948 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Yep he’s gone full conspiracy theory crank now.

Shame because he was funny before that…oh wait.
Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:04 - Mar 10 with 3938 viewsiamatractorboy

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:01 - Mar 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Yep he’s gone full conspiracy theory crank now.

Shame because he was funny before that…oh wait.

I think he's funnier now to be honest. Just not deliberately, unless this is all one massive performance piece and he comes out and says 'gotcha' at some point.
Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:09 - Mar 10 with 3901 viewsDarth_Koont

Wow! Some really weird and dangerous stuff in there.

He’s gone fully down a black/white narrative route – which is never going to explain reality with all its complexities and contradictions – but not coincidentally will help him better package and monetize his content.

Pronouns: He/Him

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:12 - Mar 10 with 3861 viewsitfcjoe

I saw him a couple of years ago as friends had got me tickets and you could see where he is/was going - and as we left you could hear the chuntering of people that he didn't do enough about x, y and z......i.e. the YouTube followers of him wanting more of his conspiracy sh1t opposed to an attempt to do stand up.

This is the grift now, and you can't disagree with any conspiracy theory or your followers will move on to the next grifter who doesn't disagree with it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:16 - Mar 10 with 3823 viewsGlasgowBlue

Another dangerous conspiracy theorist who like Piers Corbyn no David Ike is too easily dismissed as a harmless crank.

Many of you fell for the 'Corbyn being a Putin fan' lie by GlasgowBlue 11 Mar 2022 18:23
I see Russell Brand has gone full conspiracy theorist over Ukraine, Covid and such-like.

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1499355410712698881?s=20&t=r17ACP3Lv5I-lXOx5lSPYA

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:20 - Mar 10 with 3806 viewsgiant_stow

Poor Dolly will be upset.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:25 - Mar 10 with 3788 viewsDanTheMan

Only a small part of the article, but I only recently heard of Graham Hancock's... interesting theories.

Started watching an excellent series on YouTube of an archaeologist going through his latest series from a critical standpoint. The rest of his channel is also very interesting.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:31 - Mar 10 with 3719 viewsKeno

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:25 - Mar 10 by DanTheMan

Only a small part of the article, but I only recently heard of Graham Hancock's... interesting theories.

Started watching an excellent series on YouTube of an archaeologist going through his latest series from a critical standpoint. The rest of his channel is also very interesting.

Where's Leitrim when you need him!!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:33 - Mar 10 with 3710 viewsDubtractor

I started watching that Netflix thing, I didn't know who Hancock was, and it sounded interesting.

I lasted an episode and a half before bailing!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:33 - Mar 10 with 3715 viewsDanTheMan

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:12 - Mar 10 by itfcjoe

I saw him a couple of years ago as friends had got me tickets and you could see where he is/was going - and as we left you could hear the chuntering of people that he didn't do enough about x, y and z......i.e. the YouTube followers of him wanting more of his conspiracy sh1t opposed to an attempt to do stand up.

This is the grift now, and you can't disagree with any conspiracy theory or your followers will move on to the next grifter who doesn't disagree with it.

"This is the grift now"

Basically what it is, boils down to money. There's plenty of money to be made in this area, seems to be predominantly on the right for whatever reason.

People like Alex Jones, Tucker Carlson, Candace Owens, Matt Walsh, Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro. They all know what they are doing and play up to an audience because it ultimately makes them a lot of money.

The messages that came out of the Fox News lawsuit pretty much confirm they don't believe what they are saying. They are just saying it because if they don't go full conspiracy mode, those people will find it elsewhere.

A truly horrible state of affairs where the only voice people want to listen to are the most extreme.

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:38 - Mar 10 with 3652 viewsDanTheMan

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:33 - Mar 10 by Dubtractor

I started watching that Netflix thing, I didn't know who Hancock was, and it sounded interesting.

I lasted an episode and a half before bailing!

I was similar, although I looked him up beforehand so I knew what I was getting myself into. Didn't last much longer than you. Some of the leaps of logic they make are hilarious.

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:39 - Mar 10 with 3640 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:33 - Mar 10 by DanTheMan

"This is the grift now"

Basically what it is, boils down to money. There's plenty of money to be made in this area, seems to be predominantly on the right for whatever reason.

People like Alex Jones, Tucker Carlson, Candace Owens, Matt Walsh, Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro. They all know what they are doing and play up to an audience because it ultimately makes them a lot of money.

The messages that came out of the Fox News lawsuit pretty much confirm they don't believe what they are saying. They are just saying it because if they don't go full conspiracy mode, those people will find it elsewhere.

A truly horrible state of affairs where the only voice people want to listen to are the most extreme.

Indeed, being a wrong’un peddling dangerous and divisive conspiracy theories isn’t even the worst thing he’s done…

He’s also a West Ham fan.
Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:45 - Mar 10 with 3596 viewsSwansea_Blue

A few years back I though Brand had turned a corner from his gobby, daft tv chat show host persona to someone with a bit of depth. I listened to a couple of podcasts where he was the guest and he was very open about hos problems and path to 'enlightenment and compassion' (for want of a better description). It seems he's gone on a bit more of a personal discovery journey since then right down the rabbit hole. Shame really.

Edit - ah, having now looked at the article I see that's exactly what Monbiot was saying. So yes, agree with GM on this one - Brand seems to have gone full fruit loop conspiracist, of the 'just asking questions' type.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2023 9:49]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:05 - Mar 10 with 3456 viewsleitrimblue

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:31 - Mar 10 by Keno

Where's Leitrim when you need him!!!

Busy researching my new book about how a highly advanced ice age people were wiped out in some kinda disaster. But luckily they and some equally advanced aliens passed on this advanced knowledge to ancient cultures around the world enabling them to build pyramids etc. Gonna make me rich I tell yer
Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:07 - Mar 10 with 3423 viewsDarth_Koont

"This is the grift now"

Indeed.

Although I think Joe Rogan is the real blueprint here. Someone who frequently dips, dodges and dances on the right-wing conspiracy/libertarian line and has netted many, many millions as a result. And always pretending that this is about some objective questioning/free speech defence.

Pronouns: He/Him

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:07 - Mar 10 with 3415 viewsBuffaloBill

"This is the grift now"

Yeah agree wholeheartedly. Agree with any of these people's opinions and views must make you a swivelled eyed White supremacist, surely?

Poll: Incentives to want to be promoted

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:08 - Mar 10 with 3399 viewsleitrimblue

I got 10 mins into the first episode. I thought it would be funny but it was just so feckin stupid I couldn't watch any more
Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:09 - Mar 10 with 3389 viewsitfcjoe

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:07 - Mar 10 by BuffaloBill

Yeah agree wholeheartedly. Agree with any of these people's opinions and views must make you a swivelled eyed White supremacist, surely?

No, but if you agree with all of them then you are conspiracy theorist nut job

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:13 - Mar 10 with 3352 viewsitfcjoe

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:07 - Mar 10 by Darth_Koont

Indeed.

Although I think Joe Rogan is the real blueprint here. Someone who frequently dips, dodges and dances on the right-wing conspiracy/libertarian line and has netted many, many millions as a result. And always pretending that this is about some objective questioning/free speech defence.

Absolutely - the talk about being a free thinker, and an inquisitve mind - whilst platforming some of the worst people and not having done the intellectual research to challenge them where is needed allowing platforms for good orators who know exactly what they are doing and spreading disingenuous BS

Vague linking of threads, dropping in known tropes, and no scrutiny applied to it because they are very well versed in what they say.

You go from thinking that there is a billionaire class who rule the world to denying that the Manchester bombings happened

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:18 - Mar 10 with 3312 viewsStokieBlue

Monbiot laying into Brand on 09:38 - Mar 10 by DanTheMan

I was similar, although I looked him up beforehand so I knew what I was getting myself into. Didn't last much longer than you. Some of the leaps of logic they make are hilarious.

It's essentially the same methodology as Erich von Däniken.

Come up with something that sounds plausible for people who don't want to think too much or look into the actual evidence and then monetise it as much as possible.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:21 - Mar 10 with 3243 viewsMattinLondon

Recently I watched a very brief clip of him stating that it was morally wrong for energy companies to profit as they have during an energy crisis and that it’s wrong that clean tap water isn’t free as a basic human right. And I agreed with him on those points.

I had no idea that he’s ended up like how he is now.
Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:22 - Mar 10 with 3210 viewsGuthrum

"This is the grift now"

It's always been a money-making area, just now the internet allows it to be connected up into a much more cohesive (and therefore lucrative) marketplace. It's also a lot easier to break into if you're an already established figure.

Conspiracy theories tend to appeal to the socially marginalised and isolated, which is also a traditional recruiting ground for the political right. They also make sense of the mental gymnastics required to adopt the odd racial and economic theories which underpin those more extreme political positions. Conspiracism is all about elites, both mysterious ones which must be overthrown and belonging to one in having "secret knowlege". So is a lot of the right, in which the believer is part of a should-be dominant group which is being downtrodden because of "others".

As for the money, there are anti-regulation wealthy families and individuals who think they can harness this force - and electoral base - in the same way the German conservatives (von Papen et al) tried to use the nazis in the early 1930s. Plus possibly some funds coming from countries who wouldn't mind a bit of Western destabilisation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:22 - Mar 10 with 3207 viewsDanTheMan

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:18 - Mar 10 by StokieBlue

Come up with something that sounds plausible for people who don't want to think too much or look into the actual evidence and then monetise it as much as possible.

SB

Erich von Däniken came up in one of the videos the guy above did about the Dendera light, a really cool looking motif he thought was a bloody lightbulb.

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:23 - Mar 10 with 3178 viewsbluelagos

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:18 - Mar 10 by StokieBlue

SB

Morning Stokie

Seeing as I am snow bound today (proper coming down here) would you be so good as to remind me of the flat earther doc? youtube? thing that you mentioned before.

Cheers

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Monbiot laying into Brand on 10:24 - Mar 10 with 3172 viewsclive_baker

The signs were there. Even on his somewhat chaotic Newsnight interview with Evan Davis 10 years ago (the very same year Monibot nominated Brand as his 'hero of the year') he was alluding to the Twin Towers terrorist attack being an inside job.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024