Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow 21:00 - Sep 20 with 4975 viewsbluethroughnthrough

Does anyone else find it odd and also a bit cringeworthy the insistence of the iFollow commentator to call us 'the super blues' rather than the Tractor Boys or just the Blues or Town? I'm guessing either he's been told to use it by someone higher up, or he's done minimal research about ITFC. Even if you're not a fan of 'Tractor Boys', I've rarely ever heard 'Super Blues' used.

Poll: Where do you expect us to finish next season?

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:02 - Sep 20 with 3036 viewsGlasgowBlue

We’ve been the super blues for as long as I’ve been going, which was around 1974.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:10 - Sep 20 with 2984 viewsJeff_winger

Super blues well outdates tractor boys, although I'm not a fan of either nickname
'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:12 - Sep 20 with 2966 viewsSitfcB

Think it’s an age thing.

I like the Tractor Boys tag.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:14 - Sep 20 with 2938 viewsSuperblue95

Agree totally that it’s cringey any time someone describes themselves as a super blue

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:15 - Sep 20 with 2937 viewsblueprint

We were definitely known as the Super Blues when I first got down to Portman Road in April 82.

Don’t like the Tractor Boys tag.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 21:16]
'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:17 - Sep 20 with 2898 viewsFrimleyBlue

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:12 - Sep 20 by SitfcB

Think it’s an age thing.

There's always one.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:19 - Sep 20 with 2898 viewsSwansea_Blue

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:02 - Sep 20 by GlasgowBlue

We’ve been the super blues for as long as I’ve been going, which was around 1974.

Yeah, I've seen this a few times lately. Super Blues has always been our nickname. It's in songs that have been release, like Ipswich Get that Goal. It's often repeated in the press. There's even a sausage named after it! - https://www.sausagereview.co.uk/jimmysfarm_ipswich_super_blue_pork_stilton.htm

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:22 - Sep 20 with 2869 viewsGlasgowBlue

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:19 - Sep 20 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, I've seen this a few times lately. Super Blues has always been our nickname. It's in songs that have been release, like Ipswich Get that Goal. It's often repeated in the press. There's even a sausage named after it! - https://www.sausagereview.co.uk/jimmysfarm_ipswich_super_blue_pork_stilton.htm

We used to have super blues on the silk scarves that we tied around our wrists.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:33 - Sep 20 with 2835 viewsJ2BLUE

Super Blues is fine. It's been used for as long as I can remember.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:43 - Sep 20 with 2788 viewsTangledupin_Blue

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:12 - Sep 20 by SitfcB

Think it’s an age thing.

I like it, too, and I'm old enough to be your granddad.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:45 - Sep 20 with 2762 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

There's nothing else I'd rather do, than spend my time with the Super Blues

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:46 - Sep 20 with 2743 viewsMullet

WE ARE NOT THE CHUFFING TRACTOR BOYS FFS

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 22:02 - Sep 20 with 2674 viewsmonty_radio

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:19 - Sep 20 by Swansea_Blue

Not always, but certainly goes back as far as most posters on here.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 22:26 - Sep 20 with 2613 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:22 - Sep 20 by GlasgowBlue

My silk scarf got ripped of my wrist by Arsenal fans in the NS back in 1974. I was only 13 and it was my birthday. Just got away without getting my head kicked in.

Poll: would you rather

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 22:39 - Sep 20 with 2579 viewslazyblue

We have always been the Super Blues !
'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 23:02 - Sep 20 with 2541 viewsjaykay

mmmm another poster who's found his voice after 5 years absence. pops up after someone banned

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 23:17 - Sep 20 with 2481 viewsSwansea_Blue

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:22 - Sep 20 by GlasgowBlue

Are you getting confused with Mrs Glassers' dominatrix classes?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 23:37 - Sep 20 with 2451 viewsBigCommon

I guess if you've not heard it much before, then it will sound odd..
But "Super Blues" was around, long before "Tractor Boys" came along.
I prefer "The Towen"... Not that I've given it much thought. But I'll often shout
"goowon The Towen", almost as a reflex. Especially if I'm listening on the radio, and we score.
'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 08:36 - Sep 21 with 2175 viewsDJR

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:02 - Sep 20 by GlasgowBlue

I started going in 1969 and my recollection is that the Blues or Town were the nicknames then. I must admit I don't have much recollection of the Super Blues as a nickname, although having just checked my FA Cup winners ' scarf, I see that nickname is printed on it. I suppose part of the problem is that we have several nicknames, so none really stands out. For what it is worth, I've never used a nickname except in song (such as Come on You Blues), preferring plain old Ipswich when I refer to them, or shout at the game. But I suppose nicknames are useful not least for journalists because they avoid repetition in copy.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2022 8:39]
'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 08:50 - Sep 21 with 2149 viewsmonty_radio

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 08:36 - Sep 21 by DJR

I started going in 1969 and my recollection is that the Blues or Town were the nicknames then. I must admit I don't have much recollection of the Super Blues as a nickname, although having just checked my FA Cup winners ' scarf, I see that nickname is printed on it. I suppose part of the problem is that we have several nicknames, so none really stands out. For what it is worth, I've never used a nickname except in song (such as Come on You Blues), preferring plain old Ipswich when I refer to them, or shout at the game. But I suppose nicknames are useful not least for journalists because they avoid repetition in copy.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2022 8:39]

I think the scarf sort of confirms that the name came into prominence in the early part of Robson's great years, say Mid 70s. I certainly never heard it in the late 50s or 60s.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 08:51 - Sep 21 with 2138 viewsDJR

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 22:26 - Sep 20 by LegendofthePhoenix

My silk scarf got ripped of my wrist by Arsenal fans in the NS back in 1974. I was only 13 and it was my birthday. Just got away without getting my head kicked in.

Yes it was hairy in the North Stand at times in the 70s. But the only time I was ever punched was by an Ipswich fan who, because of the mayhem caused by the visit of Chelsea, thought I was a Chelsea fan. I wasn't wearing any colours at the time for safety reasons, and when confronted by three bulky Ipswich fans (also not in colours) saying "Who do you support?" wasn't sure what to say. Fortunately, my friends realised they were Ipswich fans, and said I was one too.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2022 8:51]
'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 08:53 - Sep 21 with 2118 viewsCityBlue

Despite what you may read on wiki, "Super Blues" is our official nickname although we are now widely considered the Tractor Boys.

The Blues will always be Birmingham in my books and maybe even Chelski.

I T I D

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 08:55 - Sep 21 with 2113 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

You don't know your history, fella.

I had a "SUPER BLUES WEMBLEY '78" mirror on my wall for years as a kid. Still got it somewhere.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 09:53 - Sep 21 with 2068 viewsGeoffSentence

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 21:46 - Sep 20 by Mullet

WE ARE NOT THE CHUFFING TRACTOR BOYS FFS

One nil
To the chuffing tractor boys
one nil
to the chuffing tractor boys

You are right, doesn't scan at all.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

'The Super Blues' nickname on iFollow on 10:38 - Sep 21 with 2029 viewsitfcjoe

I don’t like Super Blues, if someone says it I don’t in any way consider it to be talking about Ipswich Town

But the commentator confirmed on Twitter he’s been asked to use this and not Tractor Boys so it is a genuine effort to try and bring it back

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024