Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? 19:34 - Aug 10 with 5209 viewsLord_Lucan

I think for me it was around 50p around 1979

I then remember it going up to 60p where it hovered for a while before eventually getting to £1. Once at £1 it seems to have stayed that price for some time.

Early days for me, if I can remember correctly, it was Skol, Harp and Tennants on offer - mind you I can only remember The Falcon for some reason - where they used to do Double Diamond, which I quite liked as it happened.

Moving on a few years it was Hansa and Dab.

Can’t remember the beers, think they were mostly Tolly.

What’s a pint these days? I always pay by card so I don’t really know, £4.50?

I think UK is quite cheap for beer on the whole.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:07 - Aug 10 with 1094 viewsRocky

Light ands bitter was 1/3d, half a bitter was 9d
Or I might be remembering it all wrong. I sometimes go back to look at those old pubs I once drank in - now usually converted to domestic use - and try to recall the characters who once drank there, almost every day of their lives.
Quite a lot of the regulars I never ever saw or met their wives.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:07 - Aug 10 with 1094 viewsyesjohn99

Around 99-2000 The Newt and Cucumber did £1 entry then £1 a pint on Sunday and Wednesday evenings.

Always a strong Chantry contingent in there.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:21 - Aug 10 with 1071 viewsGuthrum

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:56 - Aug 10 by Lord_Lucan

No. Well, my dad used to take me down the pub from god knows what age and used to sneak me a half.

But, I was going in the pub as an independent from when I was maybe late 14 . I was a semi regular in The Falcon when I was 15.

My dad used to pay for my boxing lessons when I was 15 but he knew I rarely turned up and went down the pub. In his view I was better off in the pub than hanging about on a street corner.

And I make him right. If more of these street kids went in the pub the country would be a lot bloody safer
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 22:05]

My father started taking me down the pub when I was about fifteen. Nice neutral place we could talk without having a row (I was a pretty horrible youth). But would only let me drink cider until I turned 18.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:28 - Aug 10 with 1069 viewsmylittletown

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:04 - Aug 10 by Bobsthename

Harp lager 32p a pint 16p for a half and smokes 20 number 6 25p a packet go out with a fiver lovely oh those were great days indeed if my memory serves me right.

1/1d in the swan at the Swan in Chappel.

I haven't the faintest idea what the beer was. When I went off to university, it was 11p for a pint of Courage Best.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 23:28]
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:42 - Aug 10 with 1035 viewsLord_Lucan

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:21 - Aug 10 by Guthrum

My father started taking me down the pub when I was about fifteen. Nice neutral place we could talk without having a row (I was a pretty horrible youth). But would only let me drink cider until I turned 18.

I never really got on with my dad until I was a grown up - and then we were best friends - and then he died.

My overriding memory of my dad trying to control me (I was an absolute fecker) was when Mother went to America for a month and he had to look after the family home. Being a military man he swiped the place like the SAS and found a load of used glue bags under my bed.

I spotted they had gone but he didn't say a thing which probably put us both on edge, then he asked me out for a pint down the pub, I would have been 14 or 15. Once in the pub he got a bit chatty and addressed the fact that I was on the glue. I just said nothing. He then told me that if I continued this I wouldn't be able to get a hard on when I grew up.

Years later we laughed over this at family occasions, he said to me "I didn't know what else to say or do"

Worst thing is, he was bloody right.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 23:51]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 00:01 - Aug 11 with 1020 viewsfloridablue

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 22:43 - Aug 10 by Lord_Lucan

Wow!

I love these things

1970 World Cup in colour eh!

When colour tele became a thing we were living with my nan, not the nice nan, the other one.

She had a colour TV in about 1973 but we wren't allowed to watch it, we had to watch the black and white. Once when the old cow went on holiday my dad moved her TV into our room but the old bat came home a day early, saw what dad had done and went nuts

The first thing I remember in colour TV was Sparks on TOTP doing This town aint big enough for the both of us.

What a band baby.

I have another one for you then L L. 68 European cup final Man Utd v Benfica I watched as a 13 year old upstairs in the Blue Coat Boy Pub in the town. To young to drink but good friends with the landlords kids, Twiggy and Kevin for sleep overs. that was probably my first ever game in colour and was in awe as to how vivid the blue shirts of Utd stood out. Much to young to buy a beer but that didn't stop us sneaking down to the cellar for a taste or two!
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 07:42 - Aug 11 with 931 viewsPJH

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:26 - Aug 10 by powinswitch

Did you put substitute on the juke box? Suspect my dad was drinking a pint of pale ale when he was born. And I think you know I’m not exaggerating

Hi, how are you?

Your dad /jukebox/substitute was The Waggon And Horses and about three or four years later.
I can't remember what bitter I drank there but should do because I drank a hell of a lot of it.
I know we drank there when we went decimal which was a bit confusing, I also drank lager at The Waggon but not usually on the same nights that I drank bitter!
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:06 - Aug 11 with 905 viewsKeno

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 22:43 - Aug 10 by Lord_Lucan

Wow!

I love these things

1970 World Cup in colour eh!

When colour tele became a thing we were living with my nan, not the nice nan, the other one.

She had a colour TV in about 1973 but we wren't allowed to watch it, we had to watch the black and white. Once when the old cow went on holiday my dad moved her TV into our room but the old bat came home a day early, saw what dad had done and went nuts

The first thing I remember in colour TV was Sparks on TOTP doing This town aint big enough for the both of us.

What a band baby.

Just for you Lucs

Then

and they still have it

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:10 - Aug 11 with 902 viewsunbelievablue

£1.80 a Tennants in the Golden Key on Woodbridge Road, which for some reason became our regular haunt as 16 years olds in 2006.

The Farmhouse in Kesgrave was similar at lunch times when I was at Sixth Form there - £1.85 a carling.

Tonight I presume to be paying £6.50 a pint in the Waterloo area.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:35 - Aug 11 with 879 viewsitfcjoe

Mine was around £2, used to be annoyed if couldn't get 5 pints for £10, then changed to 4, then 3 and now struggle to get 2 for a tenner - although if I still drank in sort of places I did when I was 16/17 I would probably stand a better chance!

When I was at uni if we got down to the hall bar at 6:50 we would 10 minutes for happy hour to start when a pint of snakebite was £1........outside happy hour it was only £1.20 though!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:41 - Aug 11 with 851 viewsunbelievablue

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:35 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

Mine was around £2, used to be annoyed if couldn't get 5 pints for £10, then changed to 4, then 3 and now struggle to get 2 for a tenner - although if I still drank in sort of places I did when I was 16/17 I would probably stand a better chance!

When I was at uni if we got down to the hall bar at 6:50 we would 10 minutes for happy hour to start when a pint of snakebite was £1........outside happy hour it was only £1.20 though!

Uni was ludicrous, and I was there post 2008!

£1 a pint on Tuesdays everywhere in a 3 mile radius of campus.

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:41 - Aug 11 with 851 viewsitfcjoe

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:32 - Aug 10 by jeera

There were a few places in Ipswich we could get away with it.

One or two places you had to send the oldest/tallest one to the bar to get the drinks but then there was another one or two who just didn't care. The Half Moon being one of them.

My favourite was Bob in the Sally. He'd come to the table, point at us one by one and ask our age and we'd all parrot "18".

"Right then", he'd say, "when the OB come in later I've asked you, fair enough?"

So that was the deal. If they showed up we wandered out the back into the car park until they'd moved on. That was it, the landlord had fulfilled his obligation and everyone was happy.

I remember going to the Arboretum when we were about 13/14 so would have been about 98/99 and he'd serve anyone. One time a couple of mates went to the bar and one asked for 2 pints and got back the classic line - I can't serve you but can serve your mate - so other mate asked, got served and they walked away with the pints.

I remember leaving once and the old bill turning up to raid it, and literally everyone there was under age - was just reported back to all the schools but we dodged it. Back again the next week though

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:42 - Aug 11 with 849 viewsunbelievablue

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:41 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

I remember going to the Arboretum when we were about 13/14 so would have been about 98/99 and he'd serve anyone. One time a couple of mates went to the bar and one asked for 2 pints and got back the classic line - I can't serve you but can serve your mate - so other mate asked, got served and they walked away with the pints.

I remember leaving once and the old bill turning up to raid it, and literally everyone there was under age - was just reported back to all the schools but we dodged it. Back again the next week though

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:44 - Aug 11 with 846 viewsJakeITFC

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:35 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

Our uni was pound a pint on Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays in first year and also did a brilliant thing called goal saver, where during football matches there was 10p off a pint for every goal scored.

Good times when England absolute pumped a minnow 8 or 9-0 on a Saturday afternoon and it was 10p a beer, but the highlight was when Arsenal drew 4-4 with Spurs (which I don’t think was a Monday night but was a £1 a pint night for some reason) and everybody was just launching pints across the bar when goals went in because they were increasingly cheaper to buy.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:46 - Aug 11 with 846 viewsitfcjoe

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:41 - Aug 11 by unbelievablue

Uni was ludicrous, and I was there post 2008!

£1 a pint on Tuesdays everywhere in a 3 mile radius of campus.

There was always somewhere on every night which would be basically a pound a drink, sometimes you had to drink vodka and red devil, or green monsters in a scream pub - but there was always an option to get hammered for £20 and back then I could just take cash out and not worry about contactless spending ramping up!

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:48 - Aug 11 with 840 viewsunbelievablue

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:46 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

There was always somewhere on every night which would be basically a pound a drink, sometimes you had to drink vodka and red devil, or green monsters in a scream pub - but there was always an option to get hammered for £20 and back then I could just take cash out and not worry about contactless spending ramping up!

Forgot about the Yellow Card that Scream did. Wicked.

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:49 - Aug 11 with 837 viewsunbelievablue

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 08:44 - Aug 11 by JakeITFC

Our uni was pound a pint on Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays in first year and also did a brilliant thing called goal saver, where during football matches there was 10p off a pint for every goal scored.

Good times when England absolute pumped a minnow 8 or 9-0 on a Saturday afternoon and it was 10p a beer, but the highlight was when Arsenal drew 4-4 with Spurs (which I don’t think was a Monday night but was a £1 a pint night for some reason) and everybody was just launching pints across the bar when goals went in because they were increasingly cheaper to buy.

Did you ever go to the bar in Sheffield (there were others across the country I believe) that had the stock market type dealio? A massive monitor behind the bar with variable drink prices.

The barman would ring the bell as if a big trade had just gone down, and VK Orange would be 30p a bottle for 6 minutes or something.

I think my first "local" served..... on 09:06 - Aug 11 with 817 viewsBloots

....Harp, and I think it was just about hitting the £1 barrier, would have been mid 80's.

This list from 1971 is interesting:

AKA - "Elite Pete"

I think my first "local" served..... on 09:12 - Aug 11 with 801 viewsunbelievablue

I think my first "local" served..... on 09:06 - Aug 11 by Bloots

....Harp, and I think it was just about hitting the £1 barrier, would have been mid 80's.

This list from 1971 is interesting:

Is that the 'Magnet' of Sheffield United fame? What even is it?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 09:16 - Aug 11 with 800 viewsclive_baker

In 2003 I was 15 / 16 and used to go down to my local with a couple of my mates. My dad used to drink in there anyway so he had already had the chat with owner that he was OK with me having a few pints and a game of pool as long as the landlord was, which he was absolutely fine with. Generally speaking we were pretty sensible, it wasn't until we were legally allowed to drink that we became idiots. I guess we kept our heads down knowing our options were limited prior to that.

I remember then we would typically pay £2.40 for a Carlsberg. The good thing about that price was for a tenner you could get 4 pints and a game of pool (2 x 20p). So as long as we all took a tenner in our pocket we could have 4 pints and 4 games of doubles. Normally relied on my wealthy mate bringing the rollies.

3 or 4 years after that I found myself at Uni and on student nights where I remember £1 a pint. Wasn't the best beer you'll ever have of course but you don't care at that price.

I paid £13.40 for 2 pints in Liverpool Street last week.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 09:17 - Aug 11 with 800 viewshype313

Remember Aidy at the Cock n Pye used to do £1 a pints in the mid nineties, Hollywoods fosters was a £1 a pint but that made normal fosters seem like an artisan craft beer.

When I live in Oz, used to go to a pub called PBH (Pyrmont bridge) and on Tuesday and Thursday they used to do "Toss the boss" essentially ask for your drink which was a ridiculous round and then toss the coin, if you won the round was free,I remember once distinctive night where I won ten on the bounce, was absolutely turbo charged, jumped into a cab to go to Scruffy's and threw up out the window over 6 suited workers stood at a traffic light, can still remember the look on their faces...

Think we as mankind kinda peaked in the late 90's, ever since it's been a downward spiral...
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 9:25]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 09:21 - Aug 11 with 791 viewsunbelievablue

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 09:17 - Aug 11 by hype313

Remember Aidy at the Cock n Pye used to do £1 a pints in the mid nineties, Hollywoods fosters was a £1 a pint but that made normal fosters seem like an artisan craft beer.

When I live in Oz, used to go to a pub called PBH (Pyrmont bridge) and on Tuesday and Thursday they used to do "Toss the boss" essentially ask for your drink which was a ridiculous round and then toss the coin, if you won the round was free,I remember once distinctive night where I won ten on the bounce, was absolutely turbo charged, jumped into a cab to go to Scruffy's and threw up out the window over 6 suited workers stood at a traffic light, can still remember the look on their faces...

Think we as mankind kinda peaked in the late 90's, ever since it's been a downward spiral...
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 9:25]

Hahaha wonderful.

The Murderers (lol) used to do the 'roll two dice and get a free round if you hit double six' game (or something like that).

No idea, but.... on 09:47 - Aug 11 with 762 viewsBloots

I think my first "local" served..... on 09:12 - Aug 11 by unbelievablue

Is that the 'Magnet' of Sheffield United fame? What even is it?

....it was obviously "Premium", 1p more expensive than Bitter!

I assume only the yuppies drunk it.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 09:48 - Aug 11 with 760 viewsPinewoodblue

Can’t remember exact price but you could get change from a half crown, but a two Bob bit wasn’t enough. ( You could buy eight pints and get change from £1) Started on pints of mild & bitter, you could get lager in a few pubs but never took to it and still don’t.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 09:53 - Aug 11 with 747 viewschicoazul

My drinking career began in 91. My first pint was Harp and it cost £1.25 more or less. I think the options were Harp Carling Skol and Strongbow.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024