Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? 19:34 - Aug 10 with 5208 viewsLord_Lucan

I think for me it was around 50p around 1979

I then remember it going up to 60p where it hovered for a while before eventually getting to £1. Once at £1 it seems to have stayed that price for some time.

Early days for me, if I can remember correctly, it was Skol, Harp and Tennants on offer - mind you I can only remember The Falcon for some reason - where they used to do Double Diamond, which I quite liked as it happened.

Moving on a few years it was Hansa and Dab.

Can’t remember the beers, think they were mostly Tolly.

What’s a pint these days? I always pay by card so I don’t really know, £4.50?

I think UK is quite cheap for beer on the whole.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:53 - Aug 10 with 918 viewsblueislander

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:40 - Aug 10 by PJH

I am never certain in my memory olf a pint of Bass as to whether it was one shilling and two pence or two shillings and one penny but I am pretty sure that it was one or the other.

As we are around the same age , I am guessing it would have been a shilling.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:56 - Aug 10 with 911 viewsKieran_Knows

Pint of Carlsberg in the Man on the Moon was £2.30 when I started drinking back when I was 18 in 2010. Used to drink in McGintys (now Halbred) when I was underage, but can’t remember how much a pint was in there!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:02 - Aug 10 with 898 viewsgainsboroughblue

About £1.80 a pint early 90s.

I was a lager drinker early days but can recall Scrumpy Jack on tap at the Silver Star for a couple of quid. That would lead to some messy nights.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:12 - Aug 10 with 883 viewsstonojnr

think it was around £1.25-£1.40 very early 90s, as I remember people always telling me it was cheaper at student union bars as it was still only a quid, choice was Adnams bitter, Tolly, for the larger fans fosters,xxxx,stella.

but Black Sheep brewery are running a 30th birthday celebration at the moment with 93 prices and its £1.29 a pint. whilst by 1996 around here it was over £2. and by 2004, and I specifically remember this was the first time over £2.50, as I bought two pints handed over a fiver like normal, and the barman had to say, sorry I need more than that

Speaking of fivers, the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is also a good pop culture source for prices in 1978, as Douglas Adams wrote the line about buying 6 pints of bitter for a fiver, and gifting the barman the change, which was to have been considered generous gift, on real life, and they just never updated in the tv adaption (cant remember what it was in the film)

as for todays price, average in Ipswich is 4.10 for real ale, 4.50 I think for lager. but there are some places charging nearly £5 a pint now for both. the average UK wide is meant to more like £3.50 - £4.00, so Ipswich is definitely above average in price in that respect, and more expensive than Norwich I found the other month, which it hasnt been in the past.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:14 - Aug 10 with 866 viewsjeera

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:53 - Aug 10 by blueislander

As we are around the same age , I am guessing it would have been a shilling.

I like these posts from you and PJH.

They make me feel young!

I think a small light was around the 80p mark in the mid-80s in the Half Moon and Star.

May be mistaken but sounds about right.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:20 - Aug 10 with 854 viewsFtnfwest

You were down the pub at 13? Hang on of course you were! I think it was 55p bitter, 65p lager but that was around 1982/3
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:20 - Aug 10 with 854 viewsDeepBlueSea

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:02 - Aug 10 by gainsboroughblue

About £1.80 a pint early 90s.

I was a lager drinker early days but can recall Scrumpy Jack on tap at the Silver Star for a couple of quid. That would lead to some messy nights.

This is my recollection, i remember reeling in horror when the £2 barrier was broken.

That said, there was a dive bar on Old St called Bar 150, which, despite being in a super trendy part of London, kept prices at £1.50 comfortably into the mid 2000s. Although it later changes its name to Bar 160 despite being literally at the postal address 150 Old St, and that ruined it for me somewhat.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:22 - Aug 10 with 853 viewsjaykay

1966 when i started stout and mild was the order of the day and was 8 pence in todays money. larger wasn't in most pubs in those days. also roll ups with liquorice papers.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:26 - Aug 10 with 840 viewspowinswitch

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 19:49 - Aug 10 by PJH

I think it was two shillings and one penny (old money!) for a pint of Bass in The Royal William in Woodbridge when I started drinking

Did you put substitute on the juke box? Suspect my dad was drinking a pint of pale ale when he was born. And I think you know I’m not exaggerating
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:27 - Aug 10 with 839 viewsblueislander

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:14 - Aug 10 by jeera

I like these posts from you and PJH.

They make me feel young!

I think a small light was around the 80p mark in the mid-80s in the Half Moon and Star.

May be mistaken but sounds about right.

PJH And I would be starting drinking in pubs around the early/mid 60s .You were very rarely asked your age then. I bought my first beer in a pub at 14.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:30 - Aug 10 with 832 viewsNBVJohn

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:06 - Aug 10 by StochesStotasBlewe

That vodka is, to this day, the only alcoholic drink that has anaesthetised lips and mouth. God only knows what it did to your insides though.
Cracking character was Stefan.

Stefan spectacularly fell out with the bloke who briefly opened a restaurant - the Old Counting House - next door, banning anyone he thought might be going to the restaurant after a pre dinner drink in his pub. Late 80’s.

I worked there briefly and was something of a regular. He never did work out that I was going there for a swift one after finishing work at the restaurant.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 21:49]
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:30 - Aug 10 with 831 viewspowinswitch

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:27 - Aug 10 by blueislander

PJH And I would be starting drinking in pubs around the early/mid 60s .You were very rarely asked your age then. I bought my first beer in a pub at 14.

We’re you drinking with PJH?
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:32 - Aug 10 with 822 viewsjeera

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:27 - Aug 10 by blueislander

There were a few places in Ipswich we could get away with it.

One or two places you had to send the oldest/tallest one to the bar to get the drinks but then there was another one or two who just didn't care. The Half Moon being one of them.

My favourite was Bob in the Sally. He'd come to the table, point at us one by one and ask our age and we'd all parrot "18".

"Right then", he'd say, "when the OB come in later I've asked you, fair enough?"

So that was the deal. If they showed up we wandered out the back into the car park until they'd moved on. That was it, the landlord had fulfilled his obligation and everyone was happy.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:40 - Aug 10 with 820 viewsgainsboroughblue

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:20 - Aug 10 by DeepBlueSea

This is my recollection, i remember reeling in horror when the £2 barrier was broken.

That said, there was a dive bar on Old St called Bar 150, which, despite being in a super trendy part of London, kept prices at £1.50 comfortably into the mid 2000s. Although it later changes its name to Bar 160 despite being literally at the postal address 150 Old St, and that ruined it for me somewhat.

I may have over estimated according to the link. When I turned 18 (1991), the average was just below £1.50.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/czms/mm23

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:44 - Aug 10 with 817 viewsJakeITFC

I reckon it was about £3 in town when I first started going out in 2016ish (the White Horse was our usual haunt as underage lager louts). Penny's Bar was a bit more like £3.50 but as everyone in there was 16 she had to make her money whilst it lasted.

I think it was £1.29 a Carling in Cricketers at that time.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:48 - Aug 10 with 809 viewsLord_Lucan

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:30 - Aug 10 by NBVJohn

Stefan spectacularly fell out with the bloke who briefly opened a restaurant - the Old Counting House - next door, banning anyone he thought might be going to the restaurant after a pre dinner drink in his pub. Late 80’s.

I worked there briefly and was something of a regular. He never did work out that I was going there for a swift one after finishing work at the restaurant.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 21:49]

I had lunch once in the restaurant next door, it may have been a different name then, can't remember.

Would have been around 85/86

I never used to drink much in The Cock but my boss was in there every day.

I worked over the road from The Park Hotel and used to go there of a lunchtime.

Before that, when I actually lived in the area I would use The Sun. In fact I used to go in there after school.

Things were a lot better then.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:55 - Aug 10 with 792 viewsNBVJohn

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:48 - Aug 10 by Lord_Lucan

I had lunch once in the restaurant next door, it may have been a different name then, can't remember.

Would have been around 85/86

I never used to drink much in The Cock but my boss was in there every day.

I worked over the road from The Park Hotel and used to go there of a lunchtime.

Before that, when I actually lived in the area I would use The Sun. In fact I used to go in there after school.

Things were a lot better then.

There was a pub in the town that did a fine chilli con carne on a Saturday lunchtime - was it the Cricketers?

I didn’t live in Diss for longer than about 6 months but I enjoyed my time there.

Stefan, as I recall was a decent enough fellow, just a little eccentric. I never tried the vodka though. I’ve been much of a spirit drinker.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:56 - Aug 10 with 787 viewsLord_Lucan

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 21:20 - Aug 10 by Ftnfwest

You were down the pub at 13? Hang on of course you were! I think it was 55p bitter, 65p lager but that was around 1982/3

No. Well, my dad used to take me down the pub from god knows what age and used to sneak me a half.

But, I was going in the pub as an independent from when I was maybe late 14 . I was a semi regular in The Falcon when I was 15.

My dad used to pay for my boxing lessons when I was 15 but he knew I rarely turned up and went down the pub. In his view I was better off in the pub than hanging about on a street corner.

And I make him right. If more of these street kids went in the pub the country would be a lot bloody safer
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 22:05]

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 22:00 - Aug 10 with 778 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 20:40 - Aug 10 by PJH

I am never certain in my memory olf a pint of Bass as to whether it was one shilling and two pence or two shillings and one penny but I am pretty sure that it was one or the other.

I'd say two and a penny. Average price of a pint in 1966 was one and ten according to the interweb. You and I may be old but neither of us is that old surely?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 22:05 - Aug 10 with 775 viewsDanTheMan

Used to do quids in Birmingham around 2008, but that was a special night.

Probably around the £2.50 mark I'd expect.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 22:12 - Aug 10 with 762 viewsgtsb1966

Circa 1980 my first pub pint was in The Defiance. It was Harp lager and cost around 50p. Not long after i was drinking cider in there and had a couple in The Bell over the road as well that day. Was very drunk and sick. I've hated cider ever since.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 22:15]
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 22:14 - Aug 10 with 757 viewsfloridablue

Late 60s for me as a 14 year old at the Mulberry tree, bottom of Woodbridge Rd Ipswich. I grew up a goal kick away, and George the landlord would sell a pint of mild from a barrel for a shilling (5p?). great memories there, next door to Manor Ballroom nights and also watched the 1970 World Cup Final there in colour with a large group of lads! ...TWTD!!
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 22:43 - Aug 10 with 717 viewsLord_Lucan

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 22:14 - Aug 10 by floridablue

Late 60s for me as a 14 year old at the Mulberry tree, bottom of Woodbridge Rd Ipswich. I grew up a goal kick away, and George the landlord would sell a pint of mild from a barrel for a shilling (5p?). great memories there, next door to Manor Ballroom nights and also watched the 1970 World Cup Final there in colour with a large group of lads! ...TWTD!!

Wow!

I love these things

1970 World Cup in colour eh!

When colour tele became a thing we were living with my nan, not the nice nan, the other one.

She had a colour TV in about 1973 but we wren't allowed to watch it, we had to watch the black and white. Once when the old cow went on holiday my dad moved her TV into our room but the old bat came home a day early, saw what dad had done and went nuts

The first thing I remember in colour TV was Sparks on TOTP doing This town aint big enough for the both of us.

What a band baby.

What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:02 - Aug 10 with 686 viewsRobTheMonk

Oxfordshire prices in a touristy town about 17 years back I think it was around £3.50'ish per pint.

Same pub you now have to pay £5.90 for a pint of Estrella. That's me not drinking now then.
What price was a pint when you started drinking - and what was on offer? on 23:04 - Aug 10 with 682 viewsBobsthename

Harp lager 32p a pint 16p for a half and smokes 20 number 6 25p a packet go out with a fiver lovely oh those were great days indeed if my memory serves me right.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024