Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court 13:30 - Jun 16 with 3424 viewsNthQldITFC

Driver fined £1,100 for passing cyclist in Bridgend too closely

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609

Bear in mind, motorised vehicle drivers, that you may well be on camera when you pass us cyclists far too closely (I had someone's wing mirror clear me by about one foot recently, and I'm going to invest in a camera soon) and you might well find yourself a grand lighter for your impatience or lack of concern, that is as long as you're lucky enough not to kill someone.

It might "not make sense" to the stupid old fart in this story, but anyone who's been passed from behind by a couple of tonnes of hurtling metal close enough to lick, will know why it makes sense.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:33 - Jun 16 with 1984 viewsLord_Lucan

Get insurance and pay road tax - until then I reserve my right to skim your handlebars

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:36 - Jun 16 with 1965 viewsGeoffSentence

I was passed head on by a car doing at least 60 mph on a narrow lane this morning. Didn't slow, didn't take any care at and whisked passed me with inches to spare. Those inches were because I went up the verge to avoid them.

There are some inconsiderate w@nkers out there.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:38 - Jun 16 with 1953 viewsSaleAway

It doesn't make sense to him, and yet he declined to attend a course which would have no doubt explained it to him.

I've actually been out on my bike far more this year than the last few, and had less near misses than I used to. Not sure if that is more due to me being a bit more aggressive in taking the primary position, or if some drivers are finally learning. Probably the former.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:39 - Jun 16 with 1944 viewsNthQldITFC

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:33 - Jun 16 by Lord_Lucan

Get insurance and pay road tax - until then I reserve my right to skim your handlebars

Not appreciated.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:47 - Jun 16 with 1903 viewsKievthegreat

There is no such thing as road tax.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:48 - Jun 16 with 1896 viewsSTYG

What an idiotic comment.

What about people on zebra crossings, or do you just run them over on the basis they haven't paid road tax.

What about cyclists, like myself, actually pay council tax for the road and insurance on the cars we drive the rest of the time. Should we ride a different bike so you can pass us safely?
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 13:49]
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:06 - Jun 16 with 1857 viewsLord_Lucan

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:48 - Jun 16 by STYG

What an idiotic comment.

What about people on zebra crossings, or do you just run them over on the basis they haven't paid road tax.

What about cyclists, like myself, actually pay council tax for the road and insurance on the cars we drive the rest of the time. Should we ride a different bike so you can pass us safely?
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 13:49]

FFS

Why do people take everything so bloody seriously?

Have a day off and live life to the full.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:55 - Jun 16 with 1751 viewsstonojnr

I have insurance, I pay road tax, next strawman please...
Login to get fewer ads

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:57 - Jun 16 with 1736 viewsLord_Lucan

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:55 - Jun 16 by stonojnr

I have insurance, I pay road tax, next strawman please...

Hello Mr Dull.

Please see above.

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:58 - Jun 16 with 1731 viewsSTYG

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:06 - Jun 16 by Lord_Lucan

FFS

Why do people take everything so bloody seriously?

Have a day off and live life to the full.

But you seem to have taken my post seriously.

Why is that?

Have a day off. Live life to the full.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:59 - Jun 16 with 1728 viewsstonojnr

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:38 - Jun 16 by SaleAway

It doesn't make sense to him, and yet he declined to attend a course which would have no doubt explained it to him.

I've actually been out on my bike far more this year than the last few, and had less near misses than I used to. Not sure if that is more due to me being a bit more aggressive in taking the primary position, or if some drivers are finally learning. Probably the former.

It varies days,time & route, I find some rides can be ok, you always encounter one idiot whatever the circumstances, but other rides can feel like you are a punchbag and the next pass will be the one that lands you in hospital, or 6ft under.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 15:13 - Jun 16 with 1691 viewsLord_Lucan

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:58 - Jun 16 by STYG

But you seem to have taken my post seriously.

Why is that?

Have a day off. Live life to the full.

Classic.

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 15:21 - Jun 16 with 1683 viewsEly_Blue

Will it work the other way when d1ckhead cyclists decide to pass too closely up the inside at traffic lights or in traffic?

Will courts start prosecuting cyclists who use paths designed for pedestrians even when there is a bus/cycle lane?

Will courts start prosecuting cyclists who think that red traffic lights and pelican/zebra crossing rules don’t apply to them?

Just asking

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 15:22 - Jun 16 with 1677 viewsleitrimblue

1 cyclist riding on his own not clad in bright semi skin tight lycra is OK. But more then one of um, draped in lycra, riding in a group across the road. Feck! Yer almost doing um a favour by giving um a little clip with the mirror. May even put some manners on um
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:22 - Jun 16 with 1557 viewsjeera

The clip further down the page showing the rules regarding pedestrians:

I don't quite follow the thinking behind that. It seems like an invite for another vehicle to slam into the back of the one that's stopped in the flow of traffic to allow the pedestrian to cross.

Or creating a sudden hold up if it's a busy road and again a possible accident further back down the queue.

We were always taught not to cross on a corner like that and to make our way several yards inwards to get a better all round view.

It could also invite an unscrupulous cyclist to whip up the inside and take out the pedestrian.

Maybe I've misread it but I can't see how that a safe way to encourage people to cross a busy road.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:35 - Jun 16 with 1535 viewsbluelagos

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 15:21 - Jun 16 by Ely_Blue

Will it work the other way when d1ckhead cyclists decide to pass too closely up the inside at traffic lights or in traffic?

Will courts start prosecuting cyclists who use paths designed for pedestrians even when there is a bus/cycle lane?

Will courts start prosecuting cyclists who think that red traffic lights and pelican/zebra crossing rules don’t apply to them?

Just asking

"Will it work the other way when d1ckhead cyclists decide to pass too closely up the inside at traffic lights or in traffic?"

No. Because there is a hierarchy of road users and a cyclist can't really hurt you inside your car.

Filtering past stationary traffic (on a pushbike or motorbike) is also perfectly legal.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:42 - Jun 16 with 1520 viewsCotty

I have insurance for my bike (third party damage legal etc) and there's no such thing as road tax. I do pay vehicle excise on my car though.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:43 - Jun 16 with 1514 viewsbluelagos

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:42 - Jun 16 by Cotty

I have insurance for my bike (third party damage legal etc) and there's no such thing as road tax. I do pay vehicle excise on my car though.

Third party insurance? How much does it cost mister?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:45 - Jun 16 with 1506 viewsCotty

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:43 - Jun 16 by bluelagos

Not very much. Wiggle. Well worth it.

Just checked and my recent renewal was £24. I got it after reading about a cyclist who was bankrupted after representing himself in an accident that was not his fault.

Edit: For clarity, Wiggle are the insurers, I wasn't just saying "Wibble" and misspelling it.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 16:45]
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:47 - Jun 16 with 1495 viewsjeera

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:43 - Jun 16 by bluelagos

Insurance I do agree with having had a cyclist dent my car in what was an illegal act by him.

Once he realised he wasn't going to get the claim he was hoping for he cleared off leaving me to face the damage he'd caused.

For car owners are there add-ons for bikes, or even on home insurance policies?

I do not know.

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:50 - Jun 16 with 1488 viewsCotty

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:47 - Jun 16 by jeera

Insurance I do agree with having had a cyclist dent my car in what was an illegal act by him.

Once he realised he wasn't going to get the claim he was hoping for he cleared off leaving me to face the damage he'd caused.

For car owners are there add-ons for bikes, or even on home insurance policies?

I do not know.

You can cover the cost of your bike on your home insurance, but that doesn't cover you for third party injury/damage/legal expenses etc. As I said above, Wiggle sell such a product. I'm not sure if that would cover damage to third party cars though.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:52 - Jun 16 with 1486 viewsgiant_stow

Having watched the clip, its hard to see why the old fella is moaning. You can tell by the shadow of his car and the white lines in the middle of the road that he was far too close. Pig-headed, I know best fool.

Have to admit, as a driver its sometimes tempting to 'sneak' past a cyclist - this is a good reminder not to.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 16:54]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:57 - Jun 16 with 1472 viewsjeera

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:50 - Jun 16 by Cotty

You can cover the cost of your bike on your home insurance, but that doesn't cover you for third party injury/damage/legal expenses etc. As I said above, Wiggle sell such a product. I'm not sure if that would cover damage to third party cars though.

It would be good to see these policies advertised alongside the regular stuff to help normalise it.

I should think most adult cyclists are also road users with motor vehicles too so would assume most would agree, especially if it was a simple tenner or so added to their car insurance or similar.

Not heard of Wiggle before. I wonder if that's some reference to those who need to make a few compromising positions getting into their Lycra!

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:10 - Jun 16 with 1444 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’m struggling to see how you’re supposed to knock them off without getting close? What am I missing?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:13 - Jun 16 with 1433 viewsEly_Blue

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:35 - Jun 16 by bluelagos

"Will it work the other way when d1ckhead cyclists decide to pass too closely up the inside at traffic lights or in traffic?"

No. Because there is a hierarchy of road users and a cyclist can't really hurt you inside your car.

Filtering past stationary traffic (on a pushbike or motorbike) is also perfectly legal.

Until they damage your vehicle!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024