Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court 13:30 - Jun 16 with 3440 viewsNthQldITFC

Driver fined £1,100 for passing cyclist in Bridgend too closely

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609

Bear in mind, motorised vehicle drivers, that you may well be on camera when you pass us cyclists far too closely (I had someone's wing mirror clear me by about one foot recently, and I'm going to invest in a camera soon) and you might well find yourself a grand lighter for your impatience or lack of concern, that is as long as you're lucky enough not to kill someone.

It might "not make sense" to the stupid old fart in this story, but anyone who's been passed from behind by a couple of tonnes of hurtling metal close enough to lick, will know why it makes sense.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:14 - Jun 16 with 919 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 13:33 - Jun 16 by Lord_Lucan

Get insurance and pay road tax - until then I reserve my right to skim your handlebars

There is literally no such thing as road tax. It was abolished in 1937.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:15 - Jun 16 with 919 viewsstonojnr

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:57 - Jun 16 by Lord_Lucan

Hello Mr Dull.

Please see above.

Oh did you not want people to respond to your post at all, gotcha ;)
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:18 - Jun 16 with 910 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:52 - Jun 16 by giant_stow

Having watched the clip, its hard to see why the old fella is moaning. You can tell by the shadow of his car and the white lines in the middle of the road that he was far too close. Pig-headed, I know best fool.

Have to admit, as a driver its sometimes tempting to 'sneak' past a cyclist - this is a good reminder not to.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 16:54]

Good last point. It is tempting to, but the reality is it won’t gain you any time as you’ll only lose time at the next set of lights or junction. It takes a few seconds to wait until it’s safe to pass and it’s literally no effort at all for the vehicle driver. Whereas the cyclist could be thoroughly knackered (at least in my case!) and prone to the ocassional unexpected wobble.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:23 - Jun 16 with 906 viewsKievthegreat

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:13 - Jun 16 by Ely_Blue

Until they damage your vehicle!

In which case you can sue them for damaging your vehicle.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:30 - Jun 16 with 892 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:57 - Jun 16 by jeera

It would be good to see these policies advertised alongside the regular stuff to help normalise it.

I should think most adult cyclists are also road users with motor vehicles too so would assume most would agree, especially if it was a simple tenner or so added to their car insurance or similar.

Not heard of Wiggle before. I wonder if that's some reference to those who need to make a few compromising positions getting into their Lycra!

Wiggle is a large online retailer for biking, running , swimming gear, etc. I hadn’t realised they’d branched out into insurance though. It’ll be in partnership with an insurance provider no doubt.

Another route for people is to join British Cycling. They have insurance as part of the membership package and different membership levels for casual riders and for those wanting to race. I think it starts at about £40 and there’s loads of other member benefits too.

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:30 - Jun 16 with 892 viewsjeera

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:14 - Jun 16 by JeanManuelThetis

There is literally no such thing as road tax. It was abolished in 1937.

Sigh. Several of you have said this now.

He was clearly being sarcastic. Hence he posted it so bluntly.

Pretty much everyone knows it's not called road tax so I never understand the glee when it gets pointed out. We also know what people mean when they use the [long accepted] term.

If your car isn't on the road, you don't need to tax it. Yes we can point out emissions all day long but the fact remains, it a tax for using the thing on the road and not in the living room, or in the back garden or anywhere else. The road. It's for using the vehicle on the road.

Until we all own flying cars which will move the goalposts completely.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 17:32]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:34 - Jun 16 with 887 viewsgiant_stow

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:18 - Jun 16 by Swansea_Blue

Good last point. It is tempting to, but the reality is it won’t gain you any time as you’ll only lose time at the next set of lights or junction. It takes a few seconds to wait until it’s safe to pass and it’s literally no effort at all for the vehicle driver. Whereas the cyclist could be thoroughly knackered (at least in my case!) and prone to the ocassional unexpected wobble.

Yeah all true, especially the knackered wobbly rider bit (snap btw)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:34 - Jun 16 with 856 viewsfactual_blue

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:10 - Jun 16 by Swansea_Blue

I’m struggling to see how you’re supposed to knock them off without getting close? What am I missing?

You need a long pole.

A lance would be ideal.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:39 - Jun 16 with 854 viewsMJallday

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:55 - Jun 16 by stonojnr

I have insurance, I pay road tax, next strawman please...

Should probably use the car a bit more then mate

*hides*

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:40 - Jun 16 with 851 viewsMJallday

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:34 - Jun 16 by factual_blue

You need a long pole.

A lance would be ideal.

Question, if I skim the handlebars and write to the local council about it - what will happen to the letter?
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 18:41]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:43 - Jun 16 with 847 viewsfactual_blue

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:40 - Jun 16 by MJallday

Question, if I skim the handlebars and write to the local council about it - what will happen to the letter?
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 18:41]

Depends. Are you a charming and talented lady under the age of twenty-five? If you are, the press will beat a path to your door and publish your story, although it will lost in a welter of photographs of you.

If you're not....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:51 - Jun 16 with 839 viewsMattinLondon

That driver seems the sort who doesn’t like to admit that he is at fault but instead doubles down….is he a poster on here?
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 19:08 - Jun 16 with 817 viewsbluelagos

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:51 - Jun 16 by MattinLondon

That driver seems the sort who doesn’t like to admit that he is at fault but instead doubles down….is he a poster on here?

Indeed. The ability to graciously back down is a long lost skill for many.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 20:56 - Jun 16 with 766 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 18:34 - Jun 16 by factual_blue

You need a long pole.

A lance would be ideal.

Ok, no need to rub it in. The Mrs has mentioned it enough already.

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 00:21 - Jun 17 with 727 viewsjeera

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 20:56 - Jun 16 by Swansea_Blue

Ok, no need to rub it in. The Mrs has mentioned it enough already.

I would be interested to know what other people think of the pedestrian on the corner thing.

This can't have been introduced on a whim without due consideration so am happy to find out what the thinking is because I'm not seeing it at this stage.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 06:41 - Jun 17 with 689 viewsBlueBoots

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 00:21 - Jun 17 by jeera

I would be interested to know what other people think of the pedestrian on the corner thing.

This can't have been introduced on a whim without due consideration so am happy to find out what the thinking is because I'm not seeing it at this stage.

Know about the law change, so always do that now (on a bike)...and coin toss whether I'll get honked by a driver behind me trying to turn into the same junction.

From what I witness cyclng in London, less than 50% of drivers follow the new rule - which makes it even more dangerous because a lot of pedestrians will now walk straight out into the road expecting that drivers will stop...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 07:58 - Jun 17 with 662 viewsElephantintheRoom

I doubt you drive a car on country roads at 10mph on the off chance there is a self-entitled oik in tight Lycra wheezing up a hill around the next bend. Spare a thought for horse riders who don’t risk self-harm by having their feet clipped into their pedals and are riding something that gets terrified by intolerant drivers - and weekend Lance Armstrongs.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 08:03 - Jun 17 with 655 viewsMattinLondon

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 07:58 - Jun 17 by ElephantintheRoom

I doubt you drive a car on country roads at 10mph on the off chance there is a self-entitled oik in tight Lycra wheezing up a hill around the next bend. Spare a thought for horse riders who don’t risk self-harm by having their feet clipped into their pedals and are riding something that gets terrified by intolerant drivers - and weekend Lance Armstrongs.

Maybe if horse riders clean up after their horses have off-loaded twenty kilos of poo I’ll have more sympathy for those majority of well-off idiots.

Trying to be edgy is quite easy really.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 08:56 - Jun 17 with 629 viewsmikeybloo88

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 16:35 - Jun 16 by bluelagos

"Will it work the other way when d1ckhead cyclists decide to pass too closely up the inside at traffic lights or in traffic?"

No. Because there is a hierarchy of road users and a cyclist can't really hurt you inside your car.

Filtering past stationary traffic (on a pushbike or motorbike) is also perfectly legal.

So instead of waiting in the queue at traffic lights and let the cars ahead of you pull away and get on with their journey, you think it’s a good idea to sneak up the inside to the front of the queue and be in front of a procession of cars forcing them to now have to pass you which delays them and also increases the chance of a frustrated driver passing you too closely....typical courteous and considerate cyclist thinking there, not to mention illogical.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 09:02 - Jun 17 with 617 viewsfloridaboy

What we are going to see now is tit for tat! Car drivers with dashcams are now going to send footage of cyclists who think they are above the law and cycle over red lights. Seen it many times!

The ones who annoy me are those who are riding single file who notice you behind and think it clever to them plant themselves alongside a mate!
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 09:34 - Jun 17 with 608 viewsbluelagos

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 09:02 - Jun 17 by floridaboy

What we are going to see now is tit for tat! Car drivers with dashcams are now going to send footage of cyclists who think they are above the law and cycle over red lights. Seen it many times!

The ones who annoy me are those who are riding single file who notice you behind and think it clever to them plant themselves alongside a mate!

They do that to keep themselves safe. Same logic as positioning yourself away from the kerb and more central to the lane you are in.

It forces the overtaker to wait until it is safe to pass (on the other side of the road) rather than to try and squeeze past at the same time as oncoming traffic.

It holds you up. But cyclists will not unreasonably prioritise their own safety over your the inconvenience of the faster car behind them.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:40 - Jun 17 with 537 viewsfloridaboy

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 09:34 - Jun 17 by bluelagos

They do that to keep themselves safe. Same logic as positioning yourself away from the kerb and more central to the lane you are in.

It forces the overtaker to wait until it is safe to pass (on the other side of the road) rather than to try and squeeze past at the same time as oncoming traffic.

It holds you up. But cyclists will not unreasonably prioritise their own safety over your the inconvenience of the faster car behind them.

So they jump red lights for their own safety. Lets hope there isnt a car coming across those lights!!!!

I actually think they do it because they know that it really jars drivers off! And some even think it is a game.

Car drivers clobbered again!
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:50 - Jun 17 with 515 viewsEwan_Oozami

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 14:40 - Jun 17 by floridaboy

So they jump red lights for their own safety. Lets hope there isnt a car coming across those lights!!!!

I actually think they do it because they know that it really jars drivers off! And some even think it is a game.

Car drivers clobbered again!

I presume that's a sarcastic post in a similar vein to Lucan's earlier in the thread?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 15:05 - Jun 17 with 504 viewsCotty

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 17:30 - Jun 16 by jeera

Sigh. Several of you have said this now.

He was clearly being sarcastic. Hence he posted it so bluntly.

Pretty much everyone knows it's not called road tax so I never understand the glee when it gets pointed out. We also know what people mean when they use the [long accepted] term.

If your car isn't on the road, you don't need to tax it. Yes we can point out emissions all day long but the fact remains, it a tax for using the thing on the road and not in the living room, or in the back garden or anywhere else. The road. It's for using the vehicle on the road.

Until we all own flying cars which will move the goalposts completely.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 17:32]

Although there are plenty of low/zero emission cars that don't have to pay tax, so it's not really about the road.
Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 15:09 - Jun 17 with 493 viewsDanTheMan

Good work, Cardiff Magistrates Court on 09:02 - Jun 17 by floridaboy

Just want to point out, them going alongside each other is what they are supposed to do. It means you have to spend less time overtaking.

Given there should be nothing coming the other way when overtaking, it makes sense.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024