Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday plans this year? 20:18 - Apr 6 with 6405 viewsSwansea_Blue

What are people up to?

After the last couple of years of not doing much or staying local(ish), we’re taking the plunge and planning a week in the Picos de Europa in northern Spain and then a week with the Mrs’ sister and family at a villa in the French Pyrenees. I’m not sure how that’s all going to work out with Covid, but we’re driving down to avoid public transport and people. Can’t wait tbh, it’s been too long.

Otherwise it’s North Wales for Easter and half term as we’ve still got to clear out my dad’s place. Not a pleasant job but got to be done, so we’re going to use it as a base while we’ve got it. The one benefit of Covid is it’s reminded us that you don’t have to travel far. We had a cracking holiday in N Wales last summer.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Holiday plans this year? on 07:42 - Apr 7 with 1563 viewsChurchman

Holiday plans this year? on 22:44 - Apr 6 by noggin

2 weeks in Madeira in July.

I adore Madeira. I don’t know why, I just do. Climate, people, interesting place, apart from the lively landing when you arrive whats not to like?

For me, not a lot planned. My misses is off on a Viking cruise and to see the Oberammergau Passion Play in August with her chum. I’m skiing in Finland in February. I am also looking to do a few days beerfesting in Bavaria with a buddy, possibly a bit of golf in Catalonia later in the autumn. A week with the misses later in the year - to be decided.

All a bit ifs and maybes, but like others I’ve missed doing stuff abroad. Domestic commitments and two new kittens are limiting certainties at the moment.

Other favourite destinations - Greek islands (done loads of them but not for 20 years), the US and of course beautiful Italy. I’ve not been to the south of it and need to. An interesting place, not too far away for those interested, is Corsica.
Holiday plans this year? on 07:49 - Apr 7 with 1546 viewseastangliaisblue

Holiday plans this year? on 06:36 - Apr 7 by IPS_wich

I've done both Mauritius and Maldives.

- Mauritius: Some fantastic hotels, most all inclusive, lots of honeymooners, a bit to see in the island but not much compared to other places. Feels like an upmarket beach holiday experience. Was nice, but I wouldn't rush back. Was touring around Zimbabwe the week before and much preferred it.

- Maldives: Very much a sanitised 'desert island' experience with nice accommodation. Great scuba diving and snorkeling, really great for escaping normal life as it does feel very different. Main issue is that once on your resort island there really isn't much else to do other than chill out and go on some very expensive ocean based excursions. Loved it for days 1-5; started to feel bored from day 6 and by day 11 was regretting going for two weeks. Maybe a two island trip over two weeks would have been better.

My main conclusion - I wish I'd gone to Sri Lanka to get the combination of a great beach holiday but with some culture and things to see.

Sri Lanka is by far one of the best countries I've ever visited. It has everything, food, culture, stunning scenery and great people. The train journey from Kandy to the hill stations has to be one of the most scenic in the world. I need to go back.
Holiday plans this year? on 07:55 - Apr 7 with 1529 viewswkj

We might go to Eastbourne

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Holiday plans this year? on 07:57 - Apr 7 with 1524 viewsellerblue

Ten days in Bury St Edmunds / Ipswich to visit family and friends and probably about early September a 2 hr drive to Scheveningen for a week at the dog friendly beach resort and eating fresh fish washed down with cold Grolsch.

Heinsberg Blue

Holiday plans this year? on 08:17 - Apr 7 with 1483 viewsWeWereZombies

Holiday plans this year? on 07:55 - Apr 7 by wkj

We might go to Eastbourne

I think that is overly perssimistic, still a couple of divisions to drop down and a promotion for Eastbourne Borough before we are playing them, unless we get them in the F A Cup...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Holiday plans this year? on 08:25 - Apr 7 with 1465 viewsLeBlue

9 days in the South Hams from Saturday, another fortnight there in August and 5 days in Nice/Monaco in October.
Holiday plans this year? on 08:25 - Apr 7 with 1464 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Holiday plans this year? on 07:07 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

It’s my 25th wedding anniversary in September so we plan to fly to New York and spend three weeks driving across the States, ending up on the west coast then flying back.

Nothing booked as yet due to the uncertainties surrounding Covid etc. the flight prices won’t change much so will leave it to the last minute.

Have you checked out the price/availability of hire cars in the US?

I was planning to go this year, but due to a shortage (many were auctioned off during the pandemic due to lack of demand) they are now about 3x more expensive than usual! Was coming out 1400 for 10 days (in a bl00dy Prius!)
Holiday plans this year? on 08:38 - Apr 7 with 1446 viewsitfcjoe

Holiday plans this year? on 21:13 - Apr 6 by J2BLUE

Hopton?

No, not actually been to that one but think it has more for the older kids whilst mine are still young - so we are at Wild Duck between Beccles and Yarmouth

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Holiday plans this year? on 08:53 - Apr 7 with 1426 viewsTractorWood

Holiday plans this year? on 21:53 - Apr 6 by BlueandTruesince82

Honestly relaxation is where I'm at, indeed to spend most of my time sipping cocktails by the pool and by the beach reading several books.

Maybe one or 2 excursions if they look worth it but beyond a bit of snorkeling happy to be lazy.

A vista to make friends and relatives sick when photos go in the group chat. Tropical paradise with a swim up bar is the general theme we are shooting for

Our wide range of possible options include

Maldives
Costa Rica
Mauritius
Thailand (Mrs BAT seduced by the prospect of being able to stretch to a private pool or at least a swim up)
Sri Lanka
Bali
Mexico
Caribbean
Seychelles

It feels like next year will be the last big holiday for a couple of years with her littleun starting school and other bits so we're really keen on as much luxury as we can stretch to without it being obscene but yeah we're going to spoil ourselves after 2 years of COVID and not going anywhere

I've done Bali a couple of times, Mauritius, Sri Lanka, Penang.

I know these may seem indulgent but we don't have kids so once you've sorted cheap flights, you are basically just trying to find enormous bang for your buck in terms of accommodation. You can sometimes find places with private pools and breakfast made for you for £700 per week but it takes weeks of research. I'd recommend Bali and specifically this gaff:

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Seminyak-Hotels-Villa-Seriska-Seminyak-Bali.h6641312.H

If you can get through the 18 hours travelling, it's defo worth it. Bali is my favourite place for a relaxing holiday. It's also amazing value in terms of eating out. If you get bored of relaxing you can always go north and climb a volcano or something.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 8:56]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Holiday plans this year? on 09:22 - Apr 7 with 1415 viewsAce_High1

Went to Barbados at Xmas and it was excellent. Great weather and a lovely country (was my first time to that part of the world), very relaxing and excellent food. Will be trying another Island end of this year.

Got Greece planned for the summer and maybe one city break in Autumn.
Holiday plans this year? on 09:31 - Apr 7 with 1411 viewsclive_baker

Going to Miami for work so managed to wangle the family joining me out there for 8 nights after that. Week in the south of France in July with some friends and their little ones which should be nice. And a long weekend in Ireland visiting the in laws, but I don't count that as a holiday.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Holiday plans this year? on 09:34 - Apr 7 with 1400 viewsElephantintheRoom

If you haven’t already got one invest in a motorway toll tag. Many now work in Spain, France and Italy and save oodles of time on long trips - and you don’t pay til the end of the month

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Holiday plans this year? on 09:38 - Apr 7 with 1403 viewsclive_baker

- Mauritius: Some fantastic hotels, most all inclusive, lots of honeymooners, a bit to see in the island but not much compared to other places. Feels like an upmarket beach holiday experience. Was nice, but I wouldn't rush back. Was touring around Zimbabwe the week before and much preferred it.

- Maldives: Very much a sanitised 'desert island' experience with nice accommodation. Great scuba diving and snorkeling, really great for escaping normal life as it does feel very different. Main issue is that once on your resort island there really isn't much else to do other than chill out and go on some very expensive ocean based excursions. Loved it for days 1-5; started to feel bored from day 6 and by day 11 was regretting going for two weeks. Maybe a two island trip over two weeks would have been better.

My main conclusion - I wish I'd gone to Sri Lanka to get the combination of a great beach holiday but with some culture and things to see.

Sri Lanka is amazing, I would say the best place I've ever visited / favourite trip for the reasons you mention. The culture, food, weather and hustle of the cities but also the most amazing beaches and the countryside is breathtaking, and the food!! I took a train from Kandy to Ella, the views are beautiful, through the tea plantations. And the people could not be any more helpful. And did I mention the food?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Holiday plans this year? on 10:03 - Apr 7 with 1380 viewsEdwardStone

Holiday plans this year? on 07:49 - Apr 7 by eastangliaisblue

Sri Lanka is by far one of the best countries I've ever visited. It has everything, food, culture, stunning scenery and great people. The train journey from Kandy to the hill stations has to be one of the most scenic in the world. I need to go back.

Seconded. Sri Lanka is ace.

I went there for a month backpacking many years ago.

My 1 month visa was about to run out and there was still more I wanted to see.

I got a 2 month extension and left when that ran out.

Genuinely, happiest days of my life were spent there
Holiday plans this year? on 10:03 - Apr 7 with 1380 viewsPinewoodblue

Holiday plans this year? on 23:10 - Apr 6 by noggin

Will your ship be stopping off in Kristiansand? That's where I live.

Andalsnes, Flaam & Haugesund, wife is in wheelchair won’t actually get off the ship no suitable excursions. At least one of them involves transfer by tender and that is a complete no no.

Ditto Iceland apart from Reykjavik.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Holiday plans this year? on 10:05 - Apr 7 with 1373 viewsPinewoodblue

Holiday plans this year? on 23:17 - Apr 6 by MJallday

Stop in for a brew in Herefordshire. I can point out some nice places assuming you are visiting the wye valley

Personally I shall be having the odd weekend at my place in Pembrokeshire, the odd week at my other place in Cornwall- and I’ve just booked a week in Lanzarote in October

Warner Leisure Holme Lacey, not actually weekend 4 nights from Easter Monday. Probably leave car parked up the whole time.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Holiday plans this year? on 11:01 - Apr 7 with 1351 viewsBiGDonnie

Tenerife, with the boy and nephew, mainly for the waterpark.

Any ideas on best (cheapest) ways to book would be appreciated.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Holiday plans this year? on 11:38 - Apr 7 with 1309 viewsTIB

Holiday plans this year? on 21:01 - Apr 6 by earlsgreenblue

Costa Rica yes please, Langkawi & Penang for a two centre……….Pangkor Laut awesome. A day or two in KL on the way in or out, a whole lot of bang for your buck in Malaysia.

I did Singapore / KL and Pangkor Laut in 2018. Really cool trip, with Pangkor Laut a proper gem. Amazing location and staff. Wasn't overly fussed on KL.

For somewhere different / not resort focussed, Bonaire is worth a look, a tiny island off Venezuela. KLM do good offers on flights from time to time, but once there, there's some amazing boutique accommodation and blue seas on par with likes of Maldives. A really cool island to explore and relax on for a week despite the travel time.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 11:46]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Holiday plans this year? on 11:48 - Apr 7 with 1296 viewsBlueandTruesince82

We're only going for a week as child care for longer just won't be possible so on that basis the Madieves sounds pretty good to me.

Quite happy to remain tied to the resort and split my time between swimming in the sea and swimming in the pool between sipping cocktails

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Holiday plans this year? on 11:49 - Apr 7 with 1294 viewsloftboy

Holiday plans this year? on 11:48 - Apr 7 by BlueandTruesince82

We're only going for a week as child care for longer just won't be possible so on that basis the Madieves sounds pretty good to me.

Quite happy to remain tied to the resort and split my time between swimming in the sea and swimming in the pool between sipping cocktails

Rhodes in July for ten nights.
Holiday plans this year? on 12:02 - Apr 7 with 1264 viewsmylittletown

Cadiz area for Easter, Galicia, Leon and Portugal tour for our main holiday in July, Germany for a long weekend staying with old friends in August.
Freedom - I hope!
Holiday plans this year? on 12:02 - Apr 7 with 1264 viewsSaleAway

Off to Aberystwyth for a week tomorrow.... bit of MTB, walking etc.

Croyde in July for a week of camping and surfing.

Hoping to get out to the Med somewhere in September/October if things work out.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Holiday plans this year? on 12:04 - Apr 7 with 1261 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Couple of bits planned but the big one is finally going on belated honeymoon in October to Sri Lanka and then Maldives.

Reading others' views on Sri Lanka makes me even more excited and impatient to go.
Holiday plans this year? on 12:51 - Apr 7 with 1225 viewsmkbobby

long weekend with the missus to Milan in June , then family holiday to Tunisia in August
Holiday plans this year? on 12:58 - Apr 7 with 1210 viewsthecheek

As much as I'd like to go to the salt mines in Bolivia having a 4 year old is a bit restrictive so its -

Center Parcs
Crete
Camping in the New Forest

(trying to fit as much in before school kicks in and term time is a no go..)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024