Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Risk is overstated by media 21:20 - Mar 21 with 19853 viewsOxford_Blue

In the U.S. alone, the flu (not coronavirus) has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

World wide it causes about 500,000 deaths a year.

Millions die of starvation.

We have less than 200 deaths.

We need to get a sense of perspective.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Risk is overstated by media on 12:45 - Mar 22 with 3366 viewsGaryCooper

Risk is overstated by media on 11:49 - Mar 22 by BrixtonBlue

No your point doesn't stand. The photographs of empty shelves show that people are panic-buying certain items (i.e. loo rolls, bread, eggs and pasta). They don't show "no food".

The media are only showing what is happening.

I made the point earlier, which you've seemed to ignore, that just because things are fine where you are is NOT the same for the rest of the country.

Clearly you are having trouble absorbing this, there is food for all if people stop panic buying, panic buying instigated because the media are reporting that people are panic buying, it is self fulfilling.
Risk is overstated by media on 12:49 - Mar 22 with 3344 viewsRyorry

Risk is overstated by media on 21:47 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Again, another person who can’t think critically or intelligently and jumps to an emotional conclusion. Nothing in your post comes close to what I’ve said.

I’m bored wasting time with people who probably don’t have more than a few GCSEs between them. I’m off.

Either you're stupid, which I suppose you can't help, or haven't been able to communicate clearly what you really mean (once or twice might happen, but throughout a 4-pager?), or are desperately attention seeking by opposing a concensus which includes the WHO & Govts. across the world as well as most on TWTD.

Those might be forgiveable, but what isn't is your patronising sneering and obnoxious, misplaced arrogance.

Delighted you're off, you won't be missed.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Risk is overstated by media on 12:51 - Mar 22 with 3336 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quite some dangerous bullsh*t in the OP. It’s stuff like this that leads to people ignoring important health advice.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Risk is overstated by media on 13:10 - Mar 22 with 3293 viewsDarth_Koont

The risk isn't overstated. It's as long as we have the self-discipline not to spread the virus too wide and fast that this is manageable.

My sister (hospital doctor in London who's been in the front line over the past couple of weeks) now has it plus family. They are bearing up well in self-isolation but it's keeping to that discipline and making sure the entire family of 4 are recovered that will prevent the spread further.

We all have to do our part to interrupt the spread as much as is possible. So if we want it to be at flu-like levels we need to raise the stakes not lower them.

Pronouns: He/Him

Risk is overstated by media on 13:58 - Mar 22 with 3239 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 12:45 - Mar 22 by GaryCooper

Clearly you are having trouble absorbing this, there is food for all if people stop panic buying, panic buying instigated because the media are reporting that people are panic buying, it is self fulfilling.

And you don't seem to be absorbing the fact that no-one is saying there isn't food for all.

How can panic buying be instigated by the media reporting it?! That makes no sense. They reported it because it's happening! It was instigated by moron members of the public.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Risk is overstated by media on 14:12 - Mar 22 with 3220 viewsRyorry

Risk is overstated by media on 13:10 - Mar 22 by Darth_Koont

The risk isn't overstated. It's as long as we have the self-discipline not to spread the virus too wide and fast that this is manageable.

My sister (hospital doctor in London who's been in the front line over the past couple of weeks) now has it plus family. They are bearing up well in self-isolation but it's keeping to that discipline and making sure the entire family of 4 are recovered that will prevent the spread further.

We all have to do our part to interrupt the spread as much as is possible. So if we want it to be at flu-like levels we need to raise the stakes not lower them.

Sorry to hear your sis & family are ill with it DK, all good wishes to them for a full & speedy recovery.

+ Big thanks to your sis for doing that job, I doff my cap to her.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 14:13]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Risk is overstated by media on 14:17 - Mar 22 with 3200 viewsDarth_Koont

Risk is overstated by media on 14:12 - Mar 22 by Ryorry

Sorry to hear your sis & family are ill with it DK, all good wishes to them for a full & speedy recovery.

+ Big thanks to your sis for doing that job, I doff my cap to her.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 14:13]

Cheers - yes they've been doing a great job.

The family is otherwise fit and well so they're pretty positive. Still waiting on the younger daughter to get it so my sister knows when she can start the countdown to getting back to work.

Pronouns: He/Him

Risk is overstated by media on 15:17 - Mar 22 with 3138 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Risk is overstated by media on 12:11 - Mar 22 by jeera

All you've done for quite a while now is drop by and be insulting.

That's your bag nowadays, so along with all else, you have no self awareness.

You're like some kid who wants to cause a row and then whines when he gets one.

How difficult can it be to just try to get on with people on here?

As for your opinion on this thread, you either haven't bothered to read it and are just doing your usual trick of being a plum, or you have been living under a rock for the past several weeks.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 12:41]

Absolutely nailed it. He will never listen of course.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Login to get fewer ads

Risk is overstated by media on 15:38 - Mar 22 with 3118 viewsghostofescobar

You are not comparing apples with apples. If the world took the same measures against common flu as it did against covid-19, those flu numbers would be way, way down. Conversely if the world took similar (comparatively lax) measures to try and contain covid-19 as we did the flu, the covid-19 infections and deaths would dwarf flu. You are not understanding “risk” correctly.

GhostOfEscobar

Risk is overstated by media on 15:59 - Mar 22 with 3094 viewspointofblue

If anyone wants to laugh apparently WHO and the governments are trying to marginalise the over 70s by... keeping them alive?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Risk is overstated by media on 17:08 - Mar 22 with 3049 viewsGaryCooper

Risk is overstated by media on 13:58 - Mar 22 by BrixtonBlue

And you don't seem to be absorbing the fact that no-one is saying there isn't food for all.

How can panic buying be instigated by the media reporting it?! That makes no sense. They reported it because it's happening! It was instigated by moron members of the public.

'How can panic buying be instigated by the media reporting it?! That makes no sense'

Blimey read that back to your self until you laugh at what you have written.
Risk is overstated by media on 17:39 - Mar 22 with 3022 viewseireblue

Risk is overstated by media on 17:08 - Mar 22 by GaryCooper

'How can panic buying be instigated by the media reporting it?! That makes no sense'

Well, the media can’t report “panic buying” if no panic buying has taken place.

I think that is what Brixton is getting at.

All the news articles are full of advise from people in authority not to panic buy.

The media are reporting that as well.

I think social media posts will have an impact as well as basic human behaviours.

It would be simplistic to say it is just the media that is fuelling it.

If you have a news article reporting panic buying, and also that there is no need to panic buy, then some humans will focus on part of that message, or see other people buying lots of stuff, and react to that.
Risk is overstated by media on 17:46 - Mar 22 with 2994 viewssparks

Risk is overstated by media on 17:39 - Mar 22 by eireblue

Well, the media can’t report “panic buying” if no panic buying has taken place.

I think that is what Brixton is getting at.

All the news articles are full of advise from people in authority not to panic buy.

The media are reporting that as well.

I think social media posts will have an impact as well as basic human behaviours.

It would be simplistic to say it is just the media that is fuelling it.

If you have a news article reporting panic buying, and also that there is no need to panic buy, then some humans will focus on part of that message, or see other people buying lots of stuff, and react to that.

It is undoubtedly self reinforcing. But theres not a lot the media can do about that. If they didnt report it, we would have people claiming conspiracies of silence.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Risk is overstated by media on 19:16 - Mar 22 with 2949 viewsKropotkin123

Original poster comes across as a bit of a covidiot.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Hear hear... on 23:51 - Mar 22 with 2868 viewsunstableblue

Risk is overstated by media on 23:57 - Mar 21 by OsborneOneNil

Listen to this UK Doctor, you dick.

... what is wrong with people?!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Risk is overstated by media on 08:11 - Mar 23 with 2775 viewsNo9

Risk is overstated by media on 21:32 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

My point is that the media are adding to a sense of panic that they don’t do with other types of flu that kill many more than have died so far. That’s all. No one needs to have a hyper emotional response or get all snowflakey, my point is a limited one about the media and the way it’s reporting this irresponsibly and adding to panic. That’s all. But ignore it if you wish and make it into something it isn’t.

With a pandemic such as the current one people / the public must act responsibly, you have shown you are incapable of the problme so will act irresponsibly - to deny it as you do is criminaly negligent - which is why unpleasant laws are having to be introduced

If it any comfort, you are not alone
Risk is overstated by media on 08:27 - Mar 23 with 2755 viewsitfcjoe

Idiocy of the population, yourself included, has been understated by the media and the Govt - they are coming round to this now but a bit slowly and calling out the bad behaviour

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Risk is overstated by media on 08:33 - Mar 23 with 2748 viewsitfcjoe

Risk is overstated by media on 12:45 - Mar 22 by GaryCooper

Saw a good post on Twitter stating that there is very little panic buying going on, and money spent in supermarkets has increased by approx 10% over the last few weeks. The equivalent of families spending an extra £7 or £8 a week

But supermarkets have mega efficient supply chains, but only get replenished over night in the main and with a number of buisinesses shutting, a load of different people working from home, then there is going to be different spending patterns which are throwing everything out of whack.

Some people would eat out all 3 meals of the day if commuting, now those 3 meals are bought from supermarkets in advance and things run out, etc etc

The places where Pret shut, inside big cities, are next to Tesco Express paying high rent charges that won't have a big warehouse attached so will run out of food

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Risk is overstated by media on 13:31 - Mar 23 with 2672 viewsStu_Magoo

Ahhh, the internet. What a place.
Risk is overstated by media on 14:25 - Mar 23 with 2639 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 17:08 - Mar 22 by GaryCooper

I have written what you said! And you're right, it is hilarious.

Maybe you need to look up the word "instigated" because I'm not sure what you're not getting.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Risk is overstated by media on 15:34 - Mar 24 with 2529 viewslondontractorboy57

This is not a football post melt.
Risk is overstated by media on 15:55 - Mar 24 with 2509 viewsGaryCooper

Risk is overstated by media on 14:25 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

I have written what you said! And you're right, it is hilarious.

Maybe you need to look up the word "instigated" because I'm not sure what you're not getting.

Ok mister must have last worder, the constant screening and chatter from the news agencies about empty shelves instigates further panic buying.
Risk is overstated by media on 16:23 - Mar 24 with 2478 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 15:55 - Mar 24 by GaryCooper

Ok mister must have last worder, the constant screening and chatter from the news agencies about empty shelves instigates further panic buying.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024