Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Risk is overstated by media 21:20 - Mar 21 with 19858 viewsOxford_Blue

In the U.S. alone, the flu (not coronavirus) has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

World wide it causes about 500,000 deaths a year.

Millions die of starvation.

We have less than 200 deaths.

We need to get a sense of perspective.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Risk is overstated by media on 21:53 - Mar 21 with 4521 viewseireblue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:45 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Again, another example of someone who can’t think critically.

No he made a very good point.

The government are taking these actions based on scientific advise. Not on risk overstated by the media.

You clearly haven’t read, understood, and thought critically about his post.

But, please tell us, how you would report the government actions and the information from places like Italy, and what level of risk would you put in your news reports, that would not be overstated.

We are all waiting. Shine away.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:55 - Mar 21 with 4513 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 21:43 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Thanks. You’ve responded in a reasonable way unlike the snowflakes above who can’t think critically.

I agree with you.

I didn’t say the virus wasn’t a big problem. My comment is about the way the media are whipping this up in a way they don’t do when nearly 20,000 a year die of flu (despite as you say having the flu jab). We never hear about it. We don’t have a death-o meter like we do for 250 deaths.

This doesn’t mean that I think the virus isn’t a big issue.

His post pretty much disagrees with your OP.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:56 - Mar 21 with 4510 viewsbluelagos

Risk is overstated by media on 21:55 - Mar 21 by jeera

His post pretty much disagrees with your OP.

You're on fire tonight Jeera :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:59 - Mar 21 with 4509 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 21:56 - Mar 21 by bluelagos

You're on fire tonight Jeera :-)

People like him give me the hump.

He thinks he's being smart posting crap everyone already knows.

"More people die from starvation". No sh1t Sherlock.

Are we supposed to fall over in awe at that revelation?

I'm beginning to think he's only just realised and thinks it's news to everyone else too.

Risk is overstated by media on 22:02 - Mar 21 with 4502 viewsPendejo

I am sympathetic to your p.o.v.

However, having watched the first two episodes of pandemic on Netflix I am now an expert on these issues. The authorities fear this pandemic is similar to Spanish flu which in 1918 killed more people than first and second world wars combined.

And as Trump put it, people are going to die who haven't before. A colleague quoted that, I hope it's true and not fake

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:04 - Mar 21 with 4485 viewseireblue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:47 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Again, another person who can’t think critically or intelligently and jumps to an emotional conclusion. Nothing in your post comes close to what I’ve said.

I’m bored wasting time with people who probably don’t have more than a few GCSEs between them. I’m off.

Have you responded to the same post twice.

Some may say, for someone supposedly superior to the TWTD members with a only few GCSE’s between them, that could make you look like the one with only a D in CSE woodwork.

But not me, I am sure you can deliver.

Come on, amaze us all. Shine bright Oxford_Blue.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 22:05]
Risk is overstated by media on 22:04 - Mar 21 with 4496 viewsGuthrum

Risk is overstated by media on 21:39 - Mar 21 by Trequartista

You could stengthen your case further by adding that this is despite the existence of a flu jab.

It is correct to point this out, but coronavirus is stronger, causing pneumonia and has no vaccine at all. We accept flu because it is not out of control and is at an "acceptable" level. If we do nothing with coronavirus it would wipe out an unacceptable percentage of the population.

Another thing is that when you recover from Influenza, you are usually ok. Covid-19 induced pneumonia appears to cause possibly irreversible damage to the lungs.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Risk is overstated by media on 22:07 - Mar 21 with 4474 viewsbluelagos

Risk is overstated by media on 21:59 - Mar 21 by jeera

People like him give me the hump.

He thinks he's being smart posting crap everyone already knows.

"More people die from starvation". No sh1t Sherlock.

Are we supposed to fall over in awe at that revelation?

I'm beginning to think he's only just realised and thinks it's news to everyone else too.

He is up there with Tim Martin and Godfrey Bloom in the retard stakes. I heard a couple when out this week, think they just want a reaction to be honest. Comes across as thick as fck or just childish trolling. Not sure which but neither are a good look.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Risk is overstated by media on 22:16 - Mar 21 with 4451 viewsmonytowbray

Risk is overstated by media on 22:02 - Mar 21 by Pendejo

I am sympathetic to your p.o.v.

However, having watched the first two episodes of pandemic on Netflix I am now an expert on these issues. The authorities fear this pandemic is similar to Spanish flu which in 1918 killed more people than first and second world wars combined.

And as Trump put it, people are going to die who haven't before. A colleague quoted that, I hope it's true and not fake

Well it’s accurate. Most people who have never died are 100% more likely to die.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:17 - Mar 21 with 4451 viewspointofblue

Risk is overstated by media on 22:16 - Mar 21 by monytowbray

Well it’s accurate. Most people who have never died are 100% more likely to die.

I presume it's either a mis-speak or mis-type - it should "wouldn't have before", in other words they wouldn't have died at this time had it not been for the virus.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:20 - Mar 21 with 4446 viewsfooters

Again, another person who can’t think critically or intelligently and jumps to an emotional conclusion. Nothing in your post comes close to what I’ve said.

I’m bored wasting time with people who probably don’t have more than a few GCSEs between them. I’m off.

Oxford_Blue slagging other people off for being stupid.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:22 - Mar 21 with 4436 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 22:20 - Mar 21 by footers

Oxford_Blue slagging other people off for being stupid.

For his finale there will be something posted about self-awareness.

Risk is overstated by media on 22:32 - Mar 21 with 4416 viewsfooters

Risk is overstated by media on 22:22 - Mar 21 by jeera

For his finale there will be something posted about self-awareness.

Still, it's good to know we have an expert in our midst.

Or don't we like experts now? Can't keep up.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 22:32]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:34 - Mar 21 with 4404 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:32 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

My point is that the media are adding to a sense of panic that they don’t do with other types of flu that kill many more than have died so far. That’s all. No one needs to have a hyper emotional response or get all snowflakey, my point is a limited one about the media and the way it’s reporting this irresponsibly and adding to panic. That’s all. But ignore it if you wish and make it into something it isn’t.

Other types have flu have been around a lot longer. Your argument is dumb.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:37 - Mar 21 with 4400 viewshomer_123

Comparing these two viruses is somewhat nefarious.

Whilst your figures maybe correct....we effectively 'manage' the flu with annual flu jabs. Note 'annual': this is very very important.

Currently we have no vaccine for Covid-19 and whilst trials are ongoing there is no guarantee we will obtain an effective one. Now...the flu mutates which is why an annual flu jab is required. As things stand...with no vaccine ... this has the potential to be a more troublesome and devastating virus.

It may not...of course. It will be interesting to see over the next few weeks what happens in China. If we see a bounce back...we could be in serious bother.

There are worse viruses about in the world for sure but given the speed and ease of spread...are government reactions really over the top? Better to err on the side of caution given what we know.

Has the media played a part...yes...its possibly hyped a bad situation but we...as human beings chose how we behave...regardless.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:39 - Mar 21 with 4392 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 21:53 - Mar 21 by jeera

The word should be 'fewer' for a start.

And that's if he got the figures correct.

Not sure what brazil1982 finds wrong with this?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:42 - Mar 21 with 4387 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:46 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Who says it will cause more in this country? With the measures in place it won’t be anything like that.

You sound like you’re not that bright.

I didn't say more in this country. And you accuse me of not being bright!

You yourself quoted 500,000 for the world from flu in a year. We've already had 13,000 from CV-19 in a few weeks. Do the maths.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:42 - Mar 21 with 4391 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 22:37 - Mar 21 by homer_123

Whilst your figures maybe correct....we effectively 'manage' the flu with annual flu jabs. Note 'annual': this is very very important.

Currently we have no vaccine for Covid-19 and whilst trials are ongoing there is no guarantee we will obtain an effective one. Now...the flu mutates which is why an annual flu jab is required. As things stand...with no vaccine ... this has the potential to be a more troublesome and devastating virus.

It may not...of course. It will be interesting to see over the next few weeks what happens in China. If we see a bounce back...we could be in serious bother.

There are worse viruses about in the world for sure but given the speed and ease of spread...are government reactions really over the top? Better to err on the side of caution given what we know.

Has the media played a part...yes...its possibly hyped a bad situation but we...as human beings chose how we behave...regardless.

Given the circumstances I'd say the media have served a purpose for a change.

That so many have ignored it shows the warnings haven't gone far enough for some.

For all the claims of hysteria, we can see with our own eyes that hysteria is only reaching the hysterical.

The ignorant will remain so and need little encouragement without the OP's efforts to try.

Risk is overstated by media on 22:43 - Mar 21 with 4386 viewsEwan_Oozami

Risk is overstated by media on 21:46 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Who says it will cause more in this country? With the measures in place it won’t be anything like that.

You sound like you’re not that bright.

That's the whole point, the "measures in place" are not being taken seriously enough by enough people, which potentially makes the "measures in place" ineffective against the spread of Covid-19.

If your argument had been about the media overhyping non-hypeworthy stuff in the past and now can't complain when people say they're just hyping something else, then you'd have a point.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:45 - Mar 21 with 4380 viewsStokieBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:28 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

But headlines like “UK cases soar in worst day on record” when a further 50 people die, who all have health problems anyway, and may well have died in any event, is scaremongering.

17,000 die in this country on average from flu.

500,000 die each year anyway.

I’m not trivialising corona but I do think the media are lapping it up and adding to a sense of panic.

The flu false equivalence is one perpetrated by morons without an understanding of the science and I am tired of rebuffing.

You do think rather a lot of yourself though, belittling people you don't know with regards to their qualifications because they don't agree with you, the implication being that because you're a lawyer you're smarter than them.

To quote myself in our previous exchanges:

"For someone who spends a good percentage of their time telling us about their intelligence and their success through hard work you don't half talk a load of simplistic sh*te."

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Risk is overstated by media on 22:45 - Mar 21 with 4383 viewsPendejo

Risk is overstated by media on 22:37 - Mar 21 by homer_123

Surely the most powerful statement is a Tory government that have spent almost a decade destroying welfare state offering to pay our wages to stay at home.

Ok so up to a max figure but an unprecedented action

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Risk is overstated by media on 22:46 - Mar 21 with 4376 viewshomer_123

Risk is overstated by media on 22:42 - Mar 21 by jeera

Given the circumstances I'd say the media have served a purpose for a change.

That so many have ignored it shows the warnings haven't gone far enough for some.

For all the claims of hysteria, we can see with our own eyes that hysteria is only reaching the hysterical.

The ignorant will remain so and need little encouragement without the OP's efforts to try.

I posted last week...lockdown by Monday in all but name.

I agree...just looking today...had to get milk....I cannot tell you how busy High St was.

The OP will tell you we are over reacting....I don't see it that way at all.

Risk is overstated by media on 22:48 - Mar 21 with 4373 viewshomer_123

Risk is overstated by media on 22:45 - Mar 21 by Pendejo

Surely the most powerful statement is a Tory government that have spent almost a decade destroying welfare state offering to pay our wages to stay at home.

Ok so up to a max figure but an unprecedented action

Well quite but clearly people still seem to think this thing isn't serious and or it's an over reaction. Odd.

Risk is overstated by media on 22:48 - Mar 21 with 4369 viewsBrixtonBlue

Spouts bowlocks. Gets called out for it. Runs away.

I doubt you even have GCSE's.

Risk is overstated by media on 22:52 - Mar 21 with 4362 viewsEwan_Oozami

Risk is overstated by media on 22:45 - Mar 21 by StokieBlue

The flu false equivalence is one perpetrated by morons without an understanding of the science and I am tired of rebuffing.

You do think rather a lot of yourself though, belittling people you don't know with regards to their qualifications because they don't agree with you, the implication being that because you're a lawyer you're smarter than them.

To quote myself in our previous exchanges:

"For someone who spends a good percentage of their time telling us about their intelligence and their success through hard work you don't half talk a load of simplistic sh*te."

SB

A lawyer????

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024