Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Risk is overstated by media 21:20 - Mar 21 with 19856 viewsOxford_Blue

In the U.S. alone, the flu (not coronavirus) has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

World wide it causes about 500,000 deaths a year.

Millions die of starvation.

We have less than 200 deaths.

We need to get a sense of perspective.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Risk is overstated by media on 00:52 - Mar 22 with 3260 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Risk is overstated by media on 23:33 - Mar 21 by vapour_trail

No fruit, veg (except brussel sprouts), meat, eggs, bread, pasta, lager. And loo roll obvs.

I can’t go anyway. I got a rib of beef, half leg of lamb and some sausages from the butchers this morning. Cost me over forty sheets mind.

I phoned the order in, drove and parked over the road, and they sent the young lad out who left it on the pavement next to the car.

I’m quite excited about the lamb which I’ll be doing tomorrow afternoon.

Hope you enjoy it.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Risk is overstated by media on 07:11 - Mar 22 with 3196 viewsBryanPlug

Risk is overstated by media on 21:45 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Again, another example of someone who can’t think critically.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Risk is overstated by media on 07:20 - Mar 22 with 3184 viewsbluelagos

Risk is overstated by media on 07:11 - Mar 22 by BryanPlug

Suspect those who have insulted Oxford Blue are fed up of ignorant morons sprouting ill informed cr*p at a time when such attitudes could cost vulnerable people's lives.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Risk is overstated by media on 07:24 - Mar 22 with 3174 viewsBryanPlug

Risk is overstated by media on 07:20 - Mar 22 by bluelagos

Suspect those who have insulted Oxford Blue are fed up of ignorant morons sprouting ill informed cr*p at a time when such attitudes could cost vulnerable people's lives.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Risk is overstated by media on 07:31 - Mar 22 with 3159 viewsbluelagos

Risk is overstated by media on 07:24 - Mar 22 by BryanPlug

I don't. Nor do the academics who have studied the virus and modelled how it is forecast to impact our country. But if he, or you has any real knowledge of modelling pandemics, do share your experience and insight.

If on the other hand you know literally sfa, I'll go with the people who are experts in this field.

They say ignorance is bliss, enjoy your day.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 7:33]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The problem with the 'flu comparison on 08:25 - Mar 22 with 3131 viewsGuthrum

Is that we know the upper limits of a "bad year", the burdens it will place on the healthcare system and on society. We know how the seasons affect it and how long an outbreak is likely to last. We've had a lot of practice dealing with, containing and treating it. We have a very good idea of infection and mortality rates, also of what, if any, long term or permanent damage it does to the body.

Covid-19 is an entirely new disease (to humans). It's only been in existence for less than four months. We have, as yet, little or no reliable data on any of the above.

I can understand why some people think we're erring too far on the side of caution. I am, myself, inclined to think the very low end estimates are more accurate - at least for most of the world. But we simply don't know. This illness is just too dangerous (potentially) to be pussy-footing around with.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Risk is overstated by media on 08:39 - Mar 22 with 3096 viewsDanTheMan

Why don't you just not post here then if everyone is so thick?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Risk is overstated by media on 08:40 - Mar 22 with 3096 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Risk is overstated by media on 21:32 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

My point is that the media are adding to a sense of panic that they don’t do with other types of flu that kill many more than have died so far. That’s all. No one needs to have a hyper emotional response or get all snowflakey, my point is a limited one about the media and the way it’s reporting this irresponsibly and adding to panic. That’s all. But ignore it if you wish and make it into something it isn’t.

You don't have a point. Zero. None. You completely don't understand the threat. You've completely not understood the situation and how crippling it is going to be. Go away and read and learn. As above poster stated, every government is NOT crippling the global economy without this being absolutely last resort. I

You are not understanding how different this is to normal Flu. There is zero immunity to this. It's new. It is incredibly infectious. Far far more so then flu. It is ripping through the globe and it is all.happening at the same time. Health services will/would become crippled and suddenly Covid is not your only killer. We cant treat all manner if sick and injured people. Italy is already facing up to this.

May be up to 1000 deaths a day there in next few days and thats just Covid! Hospitals are full. They cant cope. Operations are cancelled for everything else.

Do nothing and millions upon millions will die. Governments DO NOT shut down their entire economy without realising we are in big trouble.

You will probably decide you know best and this attitude is the biggest danger to all of us!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Login to get fewer ads

Risk is overstated by media on 08:58 - Mar 22 with 3041 viewsTerry_Nutkins

The brightest people in science globally disagree with you and oxford blue. But you boys probably know best.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Risk is overstated by media on 09:10 - Mar 22 with 3025 viewsStokieBlue

You must feel right at home then.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Risk is overstated by media on 09:20 - Mar 22 with 2984 viewsPecker

Amazing that some people still don't get it. Pillock.
Risk is overstated by media on 09:20 - Mar 22 with 2981 viewsm14_blue

For once I absolutely agree with you.

There certainly are some pretty thick people on here.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 9:20]
Risk is overstated by media on 09:25 - Mar 22 with 2960 viewsPecker

Risk is overstated by media on 21:29 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

What is factually wrong in my post?

If you need that pointing out to you, then there really isn't any hope for you.
Risk is overstated by media on 10:37 - Mar 22 with 2904 viewsBlueBadger

Wow, who to believe, the WHO or Dave from the Internet?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Risk is overstated by media on 10:41 - Mar 22 with 2893 viewseireblue

Risk is overstated by media on 10:37 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

Wow, who to believe, the WHO or Dave from the Internet?

I am sure that Oxford_Blue won’t let us down

He will be demonstrating his wisdom and critical thinking very soon.
Risk is overstated by media on 10:42 - Mar 22 with 2887 viewspointofblue

Risk is overstated by media on 00:33 - Mar 22 by Clapham_Junction

Mea culpa. I guess this means the actual death rate is likely to be quite a bit lower?

Yes; especially as for so long testing in the UK has been solely based in hospitals the numbers will be skewed as only those with severe and upwards systems will be being checked. Those with mild symptoms or asymptomatic have been going under the radar.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Risk is overstated by media on 10:46 - Mar 22 with 2865 viewsGaryCooper

Risk is overstated by media on 23:29 - Mar 21 by homer_123

No one has said food isn't available though.

Yes so my point stands, the continual video clips and newspaper photographs of empty shelves creates the panic of no food, there is food.

The media are assisting with the panic buying.
Risk is overstated by media on 11:30 - Mar 22 with 2837 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 23:47 - Mar 21 by vapour_trail

We nearly bought there in 2005, but everywhere we went for was riddled with damp. Loved the triangle, shame you can’t make use of it all currently, but eventually...

Yeah, in our first week we ate out in the triangle virtually every day (either lunch or dinner) and there's some very good food places. Gone the complete opposite now of course, but eating out as much as we were was a bit extravagant anyway.

We've got a thing called EnviroVent which keeps air circulating and prevents damp (apparently)... plus underfloor heating in the bathroom, which also helps.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Risk is overstated by media on 11:33 - Mar 22 with 2836 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 23:39 - Mar 21 by StokieBlue

The local shops seem to have quite a bit of stuff left, although costs a bit more.

SB

Yeah. We picked up eggs from a market stall. The missus had to gingerly carry 6 home in a brown paper bag!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Risk is overstated by media on 11:49 - Mar 22 with 2822 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 10:46 - Mar 22 by GaryCooper

Yes so my point stands, the continual video clips and newspaper photographs of empty shelves creates the panic of no food, there is food.

No your point doesn't stand. The photographs of empty shelves show that people are panic-buying certain items (i.e. loo rolls, bread, eggs and pasta). They don't show "no food".

The media are only showing what is happening.

I made the point earlier, which you've seemed to ignore, that just because things are fine where you are is NOT the same for the rest of the country.

Risk is overstated by media on 11:58 - Mar 22 with 2804 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 10:46 - Mar 22 by GaryCooper

Tesco (again, I know) in an entire tinned food section, only had Big Soup left.

In a way it's quite amusing to see how, even in times of a perceived crisis, there are some things that people won't touch.

Seems even with all the scummy activity we've all witnessed, there are some depths people won't go to.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Risk is overstated by media on 12:02 - Mar 22 with 2797 viewsvapour_trail

Risk is overstated by media on 11:58 - Mar 22 by jeera

Tesco (again, I know) in an entire tinned food section, only had Big Soup left.

In a way it's quite amusing to see how, even in times of a perceived crisis, there are some things that people won't touch.

Seems even with all the scummy activity we've all witnessed, there are some depths people won't go to.

I’m still not eating baked fcking beans. I’ll go cannibal before that happens.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Risk is overstated by media on 12:11 - Mar 22 with 2779 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 07:11 - Mar 22 by BryanPlug

All you've done for quite a while now is drop by and be insulting.

That's your bag nowadays, so along with all else, you have no self awareness.

You're like some kid who wants to cause a row and then whines when he gets one.

How difficult can it be to just try to get on with people on here?

As for your opinion on this thread, you either haven't bothered to read it and are just doing your usual trick of being a plum, or you have been living under a rock for the past several weeks.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 12:41]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Risk is overstated by media on 12:28 - Mar 22 with 2755 viewsElephantintheRoom

Your view is correct - but not politically correct. Besides, the current pandemic only seems to affect the elderly and vulnerable, which is a problem in an aging population but could change at any time.... hence the global concern.

When you have enthusiastically cut resources - and healthcare resources - and cut yourself adrift from the EU there are other factors at play for a short sighted government fast running out of options and credibility.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Risk is overstated by media on 12:41 - Mar 22 with 2739 viewsEdwardStone

Div Listed

W anchor
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024