Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light 21:36 - Feb 4 with 7363 viewsunstableblue

Worth spending time watching this video and perhaps re-reading my thoughts and another article at the bottom of this post. These two co-Directors of Football have stayed constant through changes of manager, truly ensuring continuity of their defined attractive style of football:

The article confirms a progressive club (Brentford) and the fact that Thomas Frank would seamlessly continue the club's technical strategy when replacing Dean Smith....

(From a fan)
"Just a cog in the Brentford fc wheel.. love how these clueless people who think the way we play was down to Smith"

I get shot down for using the term technical about Ipswich and our failings to be technical and hire technical..... well the late technical director of Brentford Robert Rowan forged that technical approach.. where a system of play, a choice of technical player, a style of passing is bigger than the manager... now continued by the co-Directors.

This from Dean Smith:

But for Smith, the fact his entire squad of players have such a deep understanding of the Brentford way of football is one of the greatest pleasures.

He said: "We have 18 or 19 players that I have changed around for the last six games."

"However, such is the understanding of our structure, style of play, and of each other, that the players who have come in have adapted well. I don’t think anybody could say that there has been a change in our style, or how we have played, and that is one of the things that gives me the greatest pleasure. Whoever goes in knows how we play and the structure of the team."

And that technical style and system is entertaining and on the ground, about shapes, running and movement.

Unlike the Brentford manager, Marcus has failed to instill a structure, a leadership team, a strategy and a single manager to get us anywhere close to this, or other more progressive/technical clubs. He has talked to it, he has five point plans, but he has not hired effectively.

Keane, Jewell, Mick, Hurst...Clegg, Milne.. not what the fans or club needed for the long term. Keane and Jewell seemed to lack a clear footballing approach. Mick papered over issues, the lack of funding, with a style of play and ethos that would never see Town succeed in the long term, to progress as a coherent footballing project. Ever.

Now we have Lambert..... I'm not seeing a system of play, evidence of technical training that instills a purpose and ethos of play. And indeed Lambert doesn’t have the structure around him for a modern club, and his subordinates do not seem to progressive in behaviour and approach.

All very worrying. I just hope we can get some momentum and get the system that has been good in some games firing again. Keep in the hunt, get promoted and rethink.

You cannot succeed in football in 2020 without strategy, alignment and a technical foundation.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/brentford-supporters-want-this-manager-to-

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 06:19 - Feb 5 with 2132 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:26 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

You also described Rotherham as technical. They made a Mick side look like 1982 Brazil. That's why people take the piss out of you.

Quite impressive how this drum continues to be banged whilst highlighting other teams with completely different styles and approaches as technical

What he really means is simply ‘good’

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Lets take Oxford..... on 06:20 - Feb 5 with 2136 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:56 - Feb 4 by unstableblue

I never purred that's an exaggeration. I absolutely stand by the point that at least Lambert was making some progress in making us better on the ball and in possession, and to start to pass better through defence into midfield. Where he has not progressed is a system of play that allows us to break the lines and pull defence out of position and flood the box at the right time.We remain toothless.

Hope I'm wrong about Lambert. And he isn't a sh!t manager.

I agree we have hired sh!t managers under Marcus. But you seem to have read none of my above posts,read the articles and watched the video. Its not just about a technical manager which I think it is without doubt we have not hired, and is essential, its about the footballing team that sits above, around, the manager, and implements the strategy of an owner who understands how to drive a club forward in the 1990s and 2000s. Marcus seems to have failed on all counts.

How can you argue with this? Why do you think we are failing???

Our hope is that Lambert can pull some form out of the team and get a system that works, driven by form from the likes of Bishop, Huws and the returning KVY. And then we need to have a massive re-think on how we run the club.

Why are we failing?

Because our owner has for years funded us with a bottom 1/4 Championship budget, an we hounded out the manager that was consistently overachieving against that budget

Happy to help

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 07:10 - Feb 5 with 2105 viewsBlueBadger

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 06:19 - Feb 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Quite impressive how this drum continues to be banged whilst highlighting other teams with completely different styles and approaches as technical

What he really means is simply ‘good’

It's almost as if he's heard the word 'technical' and has decided to shoehorn it into every whine in order to make himself look clever.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

And compare player wage bill on 07:17 - Feb 5 with 2103 viewsBlueBadger

And compare player wage bill on 23:18 - Feb 4 by ArnieM

OP: define what you mean by “Technical” in the context you are drawing comparisons between Brentford & Town .

'Not Mick, booooooo Mick'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 07:26 - Feb 5 with 2098 viewsChrisd

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:57 - Feb 4 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. Our Academy is £2.2m a year.

Would people rather see that spent on fees/wages for 1st team?

Brentford are clearly good at what they do and we could learn a lot from their structure, but I think the academy is a key part of that machine
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 22:58]

Brentford have clearly got a plan they work to, have a solid structure in place and have employed the right people doing the recruiting. Knowing us, we'd close our Academy down, get rid of the effective staff and then appoint the wrong personnel and make a right pig's ear of the whole process. I've got no faith that we'd be able to adopt this approach effectively, as a club over recent seasons we really have a habit of turning things to sh*t! That's Ipswich Town under the ownership of ME I suppose? What a legacy to be proud of!!
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 8:35]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Thats my point and completely agree... on 07:58 - Feb 5 with 2080 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 07:26 - Feb 5 by Chrisd

Brentford have clearly got a plan they work to, have a solid structure in place and have employed the right people doing the recruiting. Knowing us, we'd close our Academy down, get rid of the effective staff and then appoint the wrong personnel and make a right pig's ear of the whole process. I've got no faith that we'd be able to adopt this approach effectively, as a club over recent seasons we really have a habit of turning things to sh*t! That's Ipswich Town under the ownership of ME I suppose? What a legacy to be proud of!!
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 8:35]

... we just don't have the management structure behind the head coach / team manager to progress with anything effective Clegg/Milne... jesus wept

Lets take Oxford..... on 08:00 - Feb 5 with 2076 viewsHerbivore

Lets take Oxford..... on 23:24 - Feb 4 by ArnieM

Does scoring a lots of goals for just one season out of your entire career really count though ? Murphy barely managed 10 goals a season prior to “ that “ season.

He was on fire the second half of the season before he was leading scorer in the division and scored a good number the season after, though he was hampered by injuries that season. His goals to minutes ratio at Newcastle was very impressive too. I agree he didn't do much prior to TC coming to Town, that was kind of my point.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 08:16 - Feb 5 with 2053 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 07:10 - Feb 5 by BlueBadger

It's almost as if he's heard the word 'technical' and has decided to shoehorn it into every whine in order to make himself look clever.

Jeeze why don't you come up with some reasoned argument why Marcus' approach to setting up the club from an organisational structure and his choice of key staff isn't the problem? clearly investment is key, but it is not just that. We have the highest wage bill this season. And 4 clubs finished above us in the 17/18 season with lower wage bills, but who were progressing on the pitch, and pleasing fans whilst we were doing the opposite. Two of those clubs Brentford (read above) and Preston (former footballer as chief exec) continue to prosper

Rather than just personal abuse, again and again. I think the video and article are really interesting and a model for us. This is a football forum! a place to air views and suggest ideas. Analyze where Town are going right and mainly wrong!

What word would you rather I use? I can't think of a better one. And it seems to be well used in this context by football organisations and people.

Just to be clear:

technical
adjective
UK /ˈtek.nɪ.kəl/ US /ˈtek.nɪ.kəl/

relating to practical skills and methods that are used in a particular activity:
In her performance as the Snow Queen she showed great technical brilliance.

relating to the knowledge, machines, or methods used in science and industry

I don't think Town have played and run the club effectively in terms of applying necessary knowledge, skills, and methods - to setting up the team effectively to be successful on the pitch. We have been being played off the pitch for 4 seasons, indeed bar Mick's decent spell, for over a decade.

Would you rather I used 'tactical', 'effective', 'aligned' to describe a working mgmt system... I personally can't think of a better word... from now on I'll use 'banana' because whatever it is, you'd still shoot it down. Boring.

Thats my argument, I think its fair and reasoned. How many times have you gone to Portman Road and seen us outplayed, outpassed and out thought under Marcus? Its the majority.

Login to get fewer ads

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 08:17 - Feb 5 with 2054 viewsartsbossbeard

I suspect that PL's remit was to get us back into the championship rather than looking down on the opposition with his UEFA coaching badges hanging from his chest like Jim'll Fit It medals.

I'd be happy with a more "technical" approach next season and sit mid table like a higher level Crewe Alexandra, perpetually feeding our best players to lower half premiership teams in the championsh..oh, hang on.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 08:23 - Feb 5 with 2035 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 07:10 - Feb 5 by BlueBadger

Thing is some of what he says is correct. Not appointing a DOF, and then have a continuous structure working down from there, is absolutely a failure IMO, and ultimately a reflection of the lack of investment in the club by Evans

However that valid point is obscured by the sudden obsession with the word technical without ever actually explaining what it means, and sighting other clubs as examples despite them having completely different styles and approaches. Not to mention a posting style that resembles a small child having a tantrum whenever anyone disagrees with him

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 08:24 - Feb 5 with 2027 viewsElephantintheRoom

It reminds me of when Portsmouth shut down their youth system and we got Mick MIlls

It works for a while - then when a few signings go pear-shaped the negative voices are heard. I think it's a sensible model - after all the acedemy system is failing and all those young players have nowhere to go. Being in London is also a huge plus.

Town by contrast are out on a geographic limb with poor transport links - and more pertinently - no discernible scouting system. They don't 'promote' an Ipswich Way nor do they fast-track young players into the team... they seem keener to fast track players out of the team at present... and loan in some spare parts.,

It's working for Brentford now.,.,.. and would work for others. But you need commitment to the football club - something that has been missing at Ipswich for over a decade. Given the lop-sided nature of the academy system I have argued for a long time that the academy at Ipswich is pointless. For every Wickham (who turned up by serendipity) there is a Mings... for every Woolfy there is a Vincent-Young. But in an era when Evans can quietly sell schoolboys for a million - the argument works both ways.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 08:44 - Feb 5 with 1999 viewsCoastalblue

To be fair to Lambert I think this is the sort of stuff he was alluding to early on in his tenure, and perhaps what he'd like to make happen.

Unfortunately he currently seems to find the main part of the job a challenge that appears to be beyond him so the rest of it is just going to end up being fluff.

I do wonder if Lambert would make a good upstairs man, he seems to get it as to how to run a club in a way that gets people to buy into it and perhaps if that were combined with a tactically savvy manager who could get the best out of a squad it could make for a succesful team.

I came very close to using the technical word a couple of times within my post, but it would have just meant redefining it again.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:08 - Feb 5 with 1973 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 08:23 - Feb 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Thing is some of what he says is correct. Not appointing a DOF, and then have a continuous structure working down from there, is absolutely a failure IMO, and ultimately a reflection of the lack of investment in the club by Evans

However that valid point is obscured by the sudden obsession with the word technical without ever actually explaining what it means, and sighting other clubs as examples despite them having completely different styles and approaches. Not to mention a posting style that resembles a small child having a tantrum whenever anyone disagrees with him

See explanation below, I'm very clear I think on my understanding of the term 'banana', sorry.

"a small child having a tantrum whenever anyone disagrees with him" - yeah thank, nice. errrrrr.... you chuck up a emotive, negative and critical post on many topics you don't disagree with - even if it has reasoned evidence and debate. That's childish. I'm just passionate about Town and this particular subject. Its a football forum.

Now this is more like it:
"Not appointing a DOF, and then have a continuous structure working down from there, is absolutely a failure IMO, and ultimately a reflection of the lack of investment in the club by Evans"

Now lets have a reasoned debate - I don't think a continuous structure is all about investment. Those two director's of football at Brentford would have been cheaper than Clegg in my view. But I do agree some some investment is required across the board - but it is not the only factor for success......... Now isn't that better?!

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:14 - Feb 5 with 1970 viewsitfcjoe

I think placing the importance on the technical side of Brentford's game misses the point in some ways.

The key thing they have is a vision from the top to bottom of the club that is aligned - the manager isn't the most important person there and is easily expendable.

Our approach is the total opposite.

Under Mick we were probably the 2 Championship sides that outperformed our status consistently - that Evans couldn't use this time and tenure of Mick to put something in place to help sustain success going forwards is on him.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:18 - Feb 5 with 1952 viewsSwansea_Blue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:49 - Feb 4 by Reuser_is_God

To be fair to Rotherham that lad in midfield for them (Barlaser?) put all of our supposed ball players to shame the other week.

Also their wingers were the most skilful players on the pitch.

Yep. And Brentford aren't exactly Ajax style total football. There's a steel in them this season especially - exceptionally well organised off the ball and quite physical in the challenges. They conceed very few goals and defend well as a unit from the front. A level above Rotherham, but there are some similarities.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:22 - Feb 5 with 1945 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 08:44 - Feb 5 by Coastalblue

To be fair to Lambert I think this is the sort of stuff he was alluding to early on in his tenure, and perhaps what he'd like to make happen.

Unfortunately he currently seems to find the main part of the job a challenge that appears to be beyond him so the rest of it is just going to end up being fluff.

I do wonder if Lambert would make a good upstairs man, he seems to get it as to how to run a club in a way that gets people to buy into it and perhaps if that were combined with a tactically savvy manager who could get the best out of a squad it could make for a succesful team.

I came very close to using the technical word a couple of times within my post, but it would have just meant redefining it again.

Yes I was initially seeing some positive signs under Paul of a banana approach... for example on the German training camp increasing the number of sports statistician and banana recording of player stats.

Also last season despite going down with a wimper, we did show improved passing and movement in the series of 1-1s, albeit with a lack of a cutting edge. But I've just not seen enough banana and tactical methods and shapes in the team this season, especially when we've played the higher teams or teams who've matched our energy and pressed us. Lincoln at home we played really and we found some width, triangles and switching of play, but I'm not sure Lincoln were pushing us and were perhaps sitting deep, letting us come on to them.

I'm still hopeful we might get a run under Lambert, our quality of players could see us go on a run and confidence will see us through. And I do KVY will give us some much needed banana capability on the ball (much as Garbutt gives us) and give balance to the system and shape. But we'll need a rethink in the summer.

Interesting point about Lambert moving upstairs, his much derided PR approach has had some merit. And was desperately needed, but ultimately I think he's a football manager, whether he is a banana coach - now that is the question?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:27 - Feb 5 with 1940 viewshampstead_blue

Brilliant OP and thanks for sharing the video and info.

I think our 'way' was lost when the likes of GB and Magic went.

Evans ought to have thought PPPPPP.....spent a little more time in the P's rather than going for short termism.

It also shows that maybe his business expertise bled into the club. Short term goals is more than likely in his blood from such a successful business career.

Can we please copy, plagiarize to death, the likes of the Bees.

Lambert seems to fumble around knicker drawer of tactics until he gets a faint 'moan' and then stays playing there rather than going for the g-spot and glory!
He doesn't really know what he's looking for.......A but like a pre-pubescent teen.

Can we please get someone in who can build.
I'll take two years in L1 if that's what we get. The Bees had a long time drifting in the lower leagues.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:34 - Feb 5 with 1938 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting OP, thanks. There's a lot of things to unpick from that and some obvious home truths. Primarily the structure behind the scenes and clear identity - this statement says it all for me "such is the understanding of our structure, style of play, and of each other,..."

It's what we've been regulalrly and repeatedly saying is missing from both ITFC and from Lambert's approaches to games. It wouldn't take much to fix with the right people. You could put changes in place now that could start bearing fruit in 6 months. And you can do it without breaking the bank (as Brentford have shown). There are remarkable similarities with Swansea's rise up through ht league too - that was based on the same - solid structure behind the scenes, clear identidy and players suited to that who all understood exactly waht was needed of them. And someone who could spot & recruit players who would fit.

I haven't had a look at the video, but I will when I get the chance.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:42 - Feb 5 with 1934 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:14 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

I think placing the importance on the technical side of Brentford's game misses the point in some ways.

The key thing they have is a vision from the top to bottom of the club that is aligned - the manager isn't the most important person there and is easily expendable.

Our approach is the total opposite.

Under Mick we were probably the 2 Championship sides that outperformed our status consistently - that Evans couldn't use this time and tenure of Mick to put something in place to help sustain success going forwards is on him.

Agree on 'a vision from the top to bottom of the club that is aligned' - its the classic optimal management system design. Clear vision set at the top, success and performance criteria defined, a clear strategy that runs from top to bottom, clear objectives and roadmap (actions/timeline) to meet the strategy, an organisational design to suit with necessary recruitment, and importantly a review and continuous action approach to handle deviations (corrective action) - its known as 'alignment' or 'line of sight' or 'Plan>Do>Check>Act'. I may perhaps know something about this!

Now Marcus in my view, and with reference to Brentford, has failed to put in any effective management system down through the club over the decade- and by the way that goes down past the manager, the playing staff, down to people who serve the beer and the ball boys/girls*

Marcus has had five point plans, but these sit at the top of the organisation and are not effectively implemented driven down the club - he seemingly installs the manager to be the implementer of that, which is flawed and doesn't support succession. Albeit I do think Lambert is the most aligned to the club's need and Marcus's. Marcus in the past has talked about funding the academy and bringing players through but then the first team plays a different type of football, etc etc etc, crazy.

Now where I slightly disagree, is that in my opinion for a modern club to be successful I do think that the strategy and choice of personnel does need to centred on a technical (sorry banana) approach to player development, training, monitoring, and crucially system of play - the latter could be described as progressive tactics. You know what I mean. Critically I think that the banana approach also links to meeting the objective of fan entertainment - as much as people shoot it down, there is an Ipswich way, and our fans do demand passing/movement style, with high tempo.

Anyway think I've spent enough time on this thread.... time to do some work! have a good day.

(*Some seasons we have had appalling ball boys/girls, sparsely populated around the pitch taking ages to throw the ball back, slowing our teams momentum; we've lost revenue with few sellers in the kiosks - how can a functioning organisation continue to allow that to happen)

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:51 - Feb 5 with 1922 viewsitfcjoe

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:42 - Feb 5 by unstableblue

Agree on 'a vision from the top to bottom of the club that is aligned' - its the classic optimal management system design. Clear vision set at the top, success and performance criteria defined, a clear strategy that runs from top to bottom, clear objectives and roadmap (actions/timeline) to meet the strategy, an organisational design to suit with necessary recruitment, and importantly a review and continuous action approach to handle deviations (corrective action) - its known as 'alignment' or 'line of sight' or 'Plan>Do>Check>Act'. I may perhaps know something about this!

Now Marcus in my view, and with reference to Brentford, has failed to put in any effective management system down through the club over the decade- and by the way that goes down past the manager, the playing staff, down to people who serve the beer and the ball boys/girls*

Marcus has had five point plans, but these sit at the top of the organisation and are not effectively implemented driven down the club - he seemingly installs the manager to be the implementer of that, which is flawed and doesn't support succession. Albeit I do think Lambert is the most aligned to the club's need and Marcus's. Marcus in the past has talked about funding the academy and bringing players through but then the first team plays a different type of football, etc etc etc, crazy.

Now where I slightly disagree, is that in my opinion for a modern club to be successful I do think that the strategy and choice of personnel does need to centred on a technical (sorry banana) approach to player development, training, monitoring, and crucially system of play - the latter could be described as progressive tactics. You know what I mean. Critically I think that the banana approach also links to meeting the objective of fan entertainment - as much as people shoot it down, there is an Ipswich way, and our fans do demand passing/movement style, with high tempo.

Anyway think I've spent enough time on this thread.... time to do some work! have a good day.

(*Some seasons we have had appalling ball boys/girls, sparsely populated around the pitch taking ages to throw the ball back, slowing our teams momentum; we've lost revenue with few sellers in the kiosks - how can a functioning organisation continue to allow that to happen)

His 5 point plans are just words - they are basically a best practice for all clubs in the league:

- Play good football
- Set a competitive budget
- Buy players and sell them on for more
- Bring players through the academy
- Keep a stable management team

I don't disagree with the technical side you speak off, but if everyone is singing of the same hymn sheet then it isn't the only way to do it

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:59 - Feb 5 with 1915 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:08 - Feb 5 by unstableblue

See explanation below, I'm very clear I think on my understanding of the term 'banana', sorry.

"a small child having a tantrum whenever anyone disagrees with him" - yeah thank, nice. errrrrr.... you chuck up a emotive, negative and critical post on many topics you don't disagree with - even if it has reasoned evidence and debate. That's childish. I'm just passionate about Town and this particular subject. Its a football forum.

Now this is more like it:
"Not appointing a DOF, and then have a continuous structure working down from there, is absolutely a failure IMO, and ultimately a reflection of the lack of investment in the club by Evans"

Now lets have a reasoned debate - I don't think a continuous structure is all about investment. Those two director's of football at Brentford would have been cheaper than Clegg in my view. But I do agree some some investment is required across the board - but it is not the only factor for success......... Now isn't that better?!

Your other post with the dictionary definition still doesn’t explain what you mean in football terms though. What style of play do you actually think we should be implementing? Try answering concisely using plain English and avoiding buzzwords

As for Brentford’s investment, they invested heavily in their scouting, analytics and ultimately have reinvested in the playing staff, something we’ve not done, and seemingly Evans has little interest in doing as he seeks to cut costs and minimise his losses. For me it does absolutely therefore stem from investment - plus having the nous to put people in place to run the club effectively

I probably shouldn’t comment on the second paragraph, but worth pointing out that being a football forum does also mean that people can express opinions that disagree with your ideas, you can’t just post something then get upset when people disagree. Not sure a lengthy post suddenly going on about bananas and ending with ‘Now isn’t that better?!’ is really the best illustration of not having a posting style like a child having a tantrum either, but there you go

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:03 - Feb 5 with 1906 viewsHerbivore

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 08:44 - Feb 5 by Coastalblue

It boils down to having an approach basically, a strategy at the club that doesn't change regardless of change of coach or manager. The word technical is designed to hint at good, passing football but when the OP then includes Rotherham it undermines his argument. Rotherham are a lot like we were under Mick, get of forward and win the second ball and play in the opposition half. When it works well you can batter teams despite having less possession. Rotherham play that way because it's worked for them under Warne over the past few years and it suits their players. I'm not sure there's a wider strategy there though.

Brentford are a different case but if what they're doing was easy then everyone would be doing it. They were something of a pioneer in terms of using data analysis to aid recruitment and they have a clear ethos around how they play. Swansea have been similar in recent years in that respect, Doncaster too at a lower level. It's not necessarily the norm mind you.

I think ultimately what most of us want is to be successful and be decent to watch, I think the OP is coming to realise that Lambert may not be the man to provide that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:06 - Feb 5 with 1899 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:51 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

His 5 point plans are just words - they are basically a best practice for all clubs in the league:

- Play good football
- Set a competitive budget
- Buy players and sell them on for more
- Bring players through the academy
- Keep a stable management team

I don't disagree with the technical side you speak off, but if everyone is singing of the same hymn sheet then it isn't the only way to do it

Oh God - I'm trying to work... the lure of TWTD!

As you say the banana (sorry childish) the technical approach to all thing playing side is a given, albeit how effective and progressive (and what I mean by that is how leading-edge the thinking or methods of coaching and plat are) that is implemented is a difference. As I stated I do not think we have had that technical implementation right at the club for a very long time. It is evidenced on the pitch time and time again by lesser resourced teams. You are outpassed and outplayed for a reason, sometimes it is players not turning up, but sometimes its your approach to the game itself.

Where the difference can then bemade - beyond the necessary technical approach - is then recruitment, budget, bouyancy/energy of fans, motivation of players, culture at the club etc.

I do think Lee O'Neill has been a step forward, it is a role that was required (Milne/Clegg then manager... Jesus).. not sure its being effectively implemented though (how heavily is he consulted on recruitment for example), and what is now bizarre is who is the chief exec? no way Marcus can drive the non-football side given his other priorities, and also be heavily integrate/aligned with Lee and Paul to implement the strategy.

Right, must work.

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:13 - Feb 5 with 1895 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 09:59 - Feb 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Your other post with the dictionary definition still doesn’t explain what you mean in football terms though. What style of play do you actually think we should be implementing? Try answering concisely using plain English and avoiding buzzwords

As for Brentford’s investment, they invested heavily in their scouting, analytics and ultimately have reinvested in the playing staff, something we’ve not done, and seemingly Evans has little interest in doing as he seeks to cut costs and minimise his losses. For me it does absolutely therefore stem from investment - plus having the nous to put people in place to run the club effectively

I probably shouldn’t comment on the second paragraph, but worth pointing out that being a football forum does also mean that people can express opinions that disagree with your ideas, you can’t just post something then get upset when people disagree. Not sure a lengthy post suddenly going on about bananas and ending with ‘Now isn’t that better?!’ is really the best illustration of not having a posting style like a child having a tantrum either, but there you go

Read the board:

"Technical relates to a players activity with the ball (control, touch, pass) and the effective set-up of the team - I could use technical and tactical - their system, formation and how they move in and out of possession, and how the ball is moved around the team and as result how the opposition is moved out of position. It focuses a lot on effective lines of players, breaking between the lines, and the overloading and pressing of the opposition. Tempo is also a key technical concept, when to sit, when to go, when to slow the game.
The FA describes their progression of courses as ‘building your technical and tactical knowledge of the game’"

Lots of other posters,pundit and managers know what it means. Words are to describe things, actions- I think the dictionary terms were bang on.

If you expressed your opinions as clear challenges and arguments to my points, rather than the personal digs, then yeah that would be fine. Or if it was amusing and had a bit of wit or class. But they're not. Our interaction is pointless and negative, bye bye.

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:17 - Feb 5 with 1892 viewsitfcjoe

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:06 - Feb 5 by unstableblue

Oh God - I'm trying to work... the lure of TWTD!

As you say the banana (sorry childish) the technical approach to all thing playing side is a given, albeit how effective and progressive (and what I mean by that is how leading-edge the thinking or methods of coaching and plat are) that is implemented is a difference. As I stated I do not think we have had that technical implementation right at the club for a very long time. It is evidenced on the pitch time and time again by lesser resourced teams. You are outpassed and outplayed for a reason, sometimes it is players not turning up, but sometimes its your approach to the game itself.

Where the difference can then bemade - beyond the necessary technical approach - is then recruitment, budget, bouyancy/energy of fans, motivation of players, culture at the club etc.

I do think Lee O'Neill has been a step forward, it is a role that was required (Milne/Clegg then manager... Jesus).. not sure its being effectively implemented though (how heavily is he consulted on recruitment for example), and what is now bizarre is who is the chief exec? no way Marcus can drive the non-football side given his other priorities, and also be heavily integrate/aligned with Lee and Paul to implement the strategy.

Right, must work.

But technical takes all different forms - Man City were dominating with 90% pass completion but Liverpool have now overtaken them and give the ball away lots, loads of misplaced crosses, loads of half chances taken and missed - whereas man City try and work everything perfectly.

They rely on heavy pressing opposed to technical brilliance

Lee O'Neill definitely knows more - but he is the Academy Manager, the Chief Exec and the Director of Football in effect.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024