Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light 21:36 - Feb 4 with 7362 viewsunstableblue

Worth spending time watching this video and perhaps re-reading my thoughts and another article at the bottom of this post. These two co-Directors of Football have stayed constant through changes of manager, truly ensuring continuity of their defined attractive style of football:

The article confirms a progressive club (Brentford) and the fact that Thomas Frank would seamlessly continue the club's technical strategy when replacing Dean Smith....

(From a fan)
"Just a cog in the Brentford fc wheel.. love how these clueless people who think the way we play was down to Smith"

I get shot down for using the term technical about Ipswich and our failings to be technical and hire technical..... well the late technical director of Brentford Robert Rowan forged that technical approach.. where a system of play, a choice of technical player, a style of passing is bigger than the manager... now continued by the co-Directors.

This from Dean Smith:

But for Smith, the fact his entire squad of players have such a deep understanding of the Brentford way of football is one of the greatest pleasures.

He said: "We have 18 or 19 players that I have changed around for the last six games."

"However, such is the understanding of our structure, style of play, and of each other, that the players who have come in have adapted well. I don’t think anybody could say that there has been a change in our style, or how we have played, and that is one of the things that gives me the greatest pleasure. Whoever goes in knows how we play and the structure of the team."

And that technical style and system is entertaining and on the ground, about shapes, running and movement.

Unlike the Brentford manager, Marcus has failed to instill a structure, a leadership team, a strategy and a single manager to get us anywhere close to this, or other more progressive/technical clubs. He has talked to it, he has five point plans, but he has not hired effectively.

Keane, Jewell, Mick, Hurst...Clegg, Milne.. not what the fans or club needed for the long term. Keane and Jewell seemed to lack a clear footballing approach. Mick papered over issues, the lack of funding, with a style of play and ethos that would never see Town succeed in the long term, to progress as a coherent footballing project. Ever.

Now we have Lambert..... I'm not seeing a system of play, evidence of technical training that instills a purpose and ethos of play. And indeed Lambert doesn’t have the structure around him for a modern club, and his subordinates do not seem to progressive in behaviour and approach.

All very worrying. I just hope we can get some momentum and get the system that has been good in some games firing again. Keep in the hunt, get promoted and rethink.

You cannot succeed in football in 2020 without strategy, alignment and a technical foundation.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/brentford-supporters-want-this-manager-to-

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:34 - Feb 5 with 642 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:17 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

But technical takes all different forms - Man City were dominating with 90% pass completion but Liverpool have now overtaken them and give the ball away lots, loads of misplaced crosses, loads of half chances taken and missed - whereas man City try and work everything perfectly.

They rely on heavy pressing opposed to technical brilliance

Lee O'Neill definitely knows more - but he is the Academy Manager, the Chief Exec and the Director of Football in effect.

Come on Joe - Liverpool’s system and press is technical brilliance, it probably employs more technical training and tactical work than the majority of teams in the Premiership. They also know how to transition from press into attack in a breathtaking way

Also Liverpool are second only to Man City in number of passes this season, and third overall in pass accuracy. So they really don’t give the ball away lots. They just know when to go direct and when to pass through.

Interesting view:

https://breakingthelines.com/uncategorized/liverpools-4-3-3-vs-liverpools-4-2-3-

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:39 - Feb 5 with 637 viewsitfcjoe

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:34 - Feb 5 by unstableblue

Come on Joe - Liverpool’s system and press is technical brilliance, it probably employs more technical training and tactical work than the majority of teams in the Premiership. They also know how to transition from press into attack in a breathtaking way

Also Liverpool are second only to Man City in number of passes this season, and third overall in pass accuracy. So they really don’t give the ball away lots. They just know when to go direct and when to pass through.

Interesting view:

https://breakingthelines.com/uncategorized/liverpools-4-3-3-vs-liverpools-4-2-3-

Trent has given the ball away more times than any other player in the league. Also him and Robertson are 1st and 3rd in unsuccessful crosses.

There approach is very different to Man City's, there are lots of way to skin a cat

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:46 - Feb 5 with 620 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:13 - Feb 5 by unstableblue

Read the board:

"Technical relates to a players activity with the ball (control, touch, pass) and the effective set-up of the team - I could use technical and tactical - their system, formation and how they move in and out of possession, and how the ball is moved around the team and as result how the opposition is moved out of position. It focuses a lot on effective lines of players, breaking between the lines, and the overloading and pressing of the opposition. Tempo is also a key technical concept, when to sit, when to go, when to slow the game.
The FA describes their progression of courses as ‘building your technical and tactical knowledge of the game’"

Lots of other posters,pundit and managers know what it means. Words are to describe things, actions- I think the dictionary terms were bang on.

If you expressed your opinions as clear challenges and arguments to my points, rather than the personal digs, then yeah that would be fine. Or if it was amusing and had a bit of wit or class. But they're not. Our interaction is pointless and negative, bye bye.

That doesn't really explain it though, most of that relates to tactics and really can be summarised as being set up with clear tactics and having players that are good at football. You regularly malign McCarthy yet one of those was absolutely fundamental to his management

As itfcjoe has alluded, lots of teams that are successful and/or referred to as technical ultimately employ different styles - be it Man City, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Swansea of old, Brentford, or indeed err, Rotherham. So just repeating that you want us to be technical and then listing lots of examples of teams that have different approaches doesn’t really help much

Tantrum act complete, laters

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 11:24 - Feb 5 with 597 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 10:39 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

Trent has given the ball away more times than any other player in the league. Also him and Robertson are 1st and 3rd in unsuccessful crosses.

There approach is very different to Man City's, there are lots of way to skin a cat

Agreed, Liverpool's approach is far more direct (at times, and I mean a limited number of times) than Man City's.

But both teams are masters of implementing the tactical, the system, the shape, the breaking the lines, the technical implementation of their footballing style and ethos. As you say this can be differently applied, different ways to skin a cat.

Our wonderful team of 81 used to really mix up approach in a game to great effect - it was fluid, wonderfully coached, passed and moved when needed, broke the lines when needed, and always went direct when the opposition was stretched. And that's the key - go direct when the opposition is stretched - yes Trent and Robertson pepper the box as part of their style, and yes it misses sometimes, but with Trent second in assists and Robertson 9th there's clearly a decision tactic to follow the approach, and it is working.

If you went back and looked at matches throughout Marcus's tenure you would see a series of performances where Ipswich lacked the basics of how to be set-up, how to be dynamic, how to make space, when to go short, when to go long. And the result has been higher funded teams and lower funded teams looking better technically on the pitch than us. Its a fact. I think this relates to the management system set-up or lack of it from Marcus and the choice of personnel. Crucially this has starved Town fans of entertainment, and the style of football (that the majority) of fans demand. If we'd seen progress, a plan, an emerging system/style that was both defensive and attacking, we'd be a happier board.

I thought we saw some green shoots of it against Accrington and Lincoln, such a shame its fallen into disrepair again. I still think we could go on a run if players are fit and we stick to the system.

Lets take Oxford..... on 13:32 - Feb 5 with 553 viewsgainsboroughblue

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:11 - Feb 4 by unstableblue

An excellent TECHNICAL manager in Robinson, players look comfortable in posession, own the ball, always have options.... we managed to win the physical battle in the rain, but you can see Oxford team and players pedigree and level of coaching

And of course its more than Robinson, they have had kept continuation in their hugely experienced assistant manager and recruitment analyst - Derek Fazackerley.

Derek is among the most respected coaches in English football, having worked as Head Coach at Newcastle United in the Premier League and as England Assistant Manager under Kevin Keegan. Derek has also worked at Blackburn, Bolton Wanderers and Barnsley, and alongside Sven Goran Eriksson at Manchester City. More recently he has been Assistant Manager at Leicester City.

We have had Terry Connor, Doige and Taylor. WAKE UP

I think I remember Kieron Dyer slating Fazackerley in his auto-biography.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024