Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So prorogation was unlawful 10:45 - Sep 24 with 17495 viewsnoggin

What now?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

So prorogation was unlawful on 12:58 - Sep 24 with 4390 viewssparks

So prorogation was unlawful on 12:21 - Sep 24 by chicoazul

OK. So it is their interpretation of the principle which we are talking about. That is for me the important thing; lawyers have decided this was wrong and unlawful, despite that no law was broken.
All I really think is what I often think; it's fine now because it is for a cause which the people celebrating the judgement are in favour of. But remember, if it can be done in favour of your righteous cause, it can be done in favour of other righteous causes too.

You dont understand law

There are statutes with specific laws.

There is also the common law. Built by a body of precedents conventions and so on over centuries. The principles of judicial review are long and firmly established in uk law and the supreme court have geld on the basis of that law that boris acted unlawfully. NOT CRIMINALLY.

By analigy you wont find a specific law about general neglugence. Its a common law principle.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Completely disingenuous on 13:03 - Sep 24 with 4376 viewsDyland

So prorogation was unlawful on 12:55 - Sep 24 by tabletopjoe

This now means we are ruled by unelected lawyers, and not an elected executive. Dark days ahead.

Assuming you're being serious, that is.

The ignorance and misinformation around is surreal. We are living in an actual satire.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:06 - Sep 24 with 4363 viewsPinewoodblue

So prorogation was unlawful on 12:53 - Sep 24 by Guthrum

Johnson could resign in favour of another Conservative (they are still the largest party), who might then be prepared to take a different tack - and perhaps manage things rather better.

PMQs do need notice to be given, to allow questions to be tabled and selected.

The most annoying comment I have heard today was Ms Sourby saying a General Election will not solve anything . She couldose her seat for a start.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2019 13:41]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:08 - Sep 24 with 4349 viewslowhouseblue

if i was johnson i'd turn up tomorrow and table the resolution for a general election again. let the people decide and all that.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:12 - Sep 24 with 4327 viewsBluefish

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:08 - Sep 24 by lowhouseblue

if i was johnson i'd turn up tomorrow and table the resolution for a general election again. let the people decide and all that.

Lib dems sweep to power brexit gets cancelled and we never hear from boris, corbyn or farage ever again. Sounds absolutely perfect.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:12 - Sep 24 with 4310 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:15 - Sep 24 with 4310 viewsgiant_stow

This now means we are ruled by unelected lawyers, and not an elected executive. Dark days ahead.

silly sausage.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:15 - Sep 24 with 4314 viewsFtnfwest

Has to be a GE, there won't be time now to even make a pretence of negotiation/a deal etc so end of October is dead in the water
Login to get fewer ads

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:18 - Sep 24 with 4289 viewscrunchie1978

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:12 - Sep 24 by Bluefish

Lib dems sweep to power brexit gets cancelled and we never hear from boris, corbyn or farage ever again. Sounds absolutely perfect.

Is that after you've walked through the back of the wardrobe?
Completely disingenuous on 13:18 - Sep 24 with 4291 viewsSwansea_Blue

Completely disingenuous on 13:03 - Sep 24 by Dyland

Assuming you're being serious, that is.

The ignorance and misinformation around is surreal. We are living in an actual satire.

It must be a nightmare being a satirist for a living; all their material has been stolen. We're living through some of the most surreal sh*t these days.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:20 - Sep 24 with 4276 viewslowhouseblue

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:12 - Sep 24 by Bluefish

lib dems sweep to power. I see what you did there.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

What on earth are you talking about? on 13:26 - Sep 24 with 4257 viewsbaxterbasics

What on earth are you talking about? on 12:15 - Sep 24 by chicoazul

Yeah but I ask again; what law was broken? I've read the summary Guthers put up, and it don't say.

It's more like the SC has defined a law on the hoof - in that there needs to be sufficient justification given for a Porogation of Parliament, and in this case that test was failed.

They didn't specifically address whether or not Boris lied to HRH. Nor could they, as the conversation was private.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:26 - Sep 24 with 4254 viewsitfc_bucks

Against stiff competition, this has to rank as one of the most moronic posts today.

Congratulations.
So prorogation was unlawful on 13:28 - Sep 24 with 4248 viewsitfc_bucks

Yes, but a GE is fought on a multitude of factors, on a constituency basis.

My vote for anyone other than the Tories is pointless.

A referendum, however...
So prorogation was unlawful on 13:28 - Sep 24 with 4241 viewsjeera

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:26 - Sep 24 by itfc_bucks

Against stiff competition, this has to rank as one of the most moronic posts today.

Congratulations.

I dunno.

I think he's posted stuff on other threads too.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:29 - Sep 24 with 4238 viewsSpruceMoose

Lol

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:31 - Sep 24 with 4227 viewschicoazul

So prorogation was unlawful on 12:58 - Sep 24 by sparks

You dont understand law

There are statutes with specific laws.

There is also the common law. Built by a body of precedents conventions and so on over centuries. The principles of judicial review are long and firmly established in uk law and the supreme court have geld on the basis of that law that boris acted unlawfully. NOT CRIMINALLY.

By analigy you wont find a specific law about general neglugence. Its a common law principle.

I asked what law has been broken, as I couldnt see it in the summary Guthers posted.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:33 - Sep 24 with 4216 viewsAndrew4445

So prorogation was unlawful on 12:21 - Sep 24 by chicoazul

OK. So it is their interpretation of the principle which we are talking about. That is for me the important thing; lawyers have decided this was wrong and unlawful, despite that no law was broken.
All I really think is what I often think; it's fine now because it is for a cause which the people celebrating the judgement are in favour of. But remember, if it can be done in favour of your righteous cause, it can be done in favour of other righteous causes too.

This is the constitution working, all the Judiciary have done is ruled that the Executive cannot remove the Legislature just because they don't like what it is doing. Our constitution is a balance of the three branches of state - Judiciary, Legislature and Executive and for our country to work in a lawful way all three must be respected and must each have their say and sphere of influence.

This merely brings the third back into play, as it should be. This decision is important in stopping, now or in the future, a leader of a government ever sweeping away the representative democracy. That can only be a good thing and would till be a good thing if a minority government were seeking to force the country down any course of action.
So prorogation was unlawful on 13:36 - Sep 24 with 4213 viewsjeera

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:31 - Sep 24 by chicoazul

I asked what law has been broken, as I couldnt see it in the summary Guthers posted.

It's simply not what 'unlawful' means.

You do know all this, you're being difficult for the sake of it.

There may not be a specific law under which an action is considered a criminal activity; i.e. an unlawful killing is not necessarily murder, but nonetheless has not occurred within legal boundaries either.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What on earth are you talking about? on 13:47 - Sep 24 with 4180 viewssparks

What on earth are you talking about? on 13:26 - Sep 24 by baxterbasics

It's more like the SC has defined a law on the hoof - in that there needs to be sufficient justification given for a Porogation of Parliament, and in this case that test was failed.

They didn't specifically address whether or not Boris lied to HRH. Nor could they, as the conversation was private.

Not really. The principles of judicial review are detailed and long established. They have simply been applied to the facts.

Its the same way the court would apply principles of breach if duty to an accident irrespective of whether a specific law existed to deal with that particular set of circumstances.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:51 - Sep 24 with 4162 viewsStokieBlue

You got and implemented your instructions from Boris quickly!

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:52 - Sep 24 with 4157 viewsGuthrum

And he'd get turned down again. The opposition parties have repeatedly said they won't vote for an election until an extension has been secured. They don't trust Johnson (with this judgement only reinforcing that).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:53 - Sep 24 with 4155 viewsSpruceMoose

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:51 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

You got and implemented your instructions from Boris quickly!

SB

Well it's nearly 9am, I'm sure Boris is now waking up and not brushing his hair.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:58 - Sep 24 with 4141 viewschicoazul

So prorogation was unlawful on 13:36 - Sep 24 by jeera

It's simply not what 'unlawful' means.

You do know all this, you're being difficult for the sake of it.

There may not be a specific law under which an action is considered a criminal activity; i.e. an unlawful killing is not necessarily murder, but nonetheless has not occurred within legal boundaries either.

you give me far too much credit! I simply didnt know.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So prorogation was unlawful on 14:02 - Sep 24 with 4134 viewsBlueNomad

The irony of Brexiteers going on BBC News website demanding the matter now be taken to the European Court of Justice........
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024