Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? 14:24 - Sep 6 with 23804 viewsGeoffSentence

Homeopathy is clearly scientific nonsense, especially given stuff like this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/20/queens-homeopathic-pharmacist-sellin

but I think there is a case for it as a placebo.

The placebo effect is pretty powerful, so if people are willing to bypass sense and reason to get that, I am going to go out on a limb and say no harm done.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:17 - Sep 6 with 3045 viewsSpruceMoose

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:15 - Sep 6 by wkj

I thought we agreed to call it by its nickname, Penfold

Penfold? Tenfold more like. Hung like a Pringles tube is old Footers. Where else do you think he got his username?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:20 - Sep 6 with 3046 viewswkj

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:17 - Sep 6 by SpruceMoose

Penfold? Tenfold more like. Hung like a Pringles tube is old Footers. Where else do you think he got his username?

I thought that was the [Redacted]stoft way of saying Football.

As for your eyesight, I am worried.

Sorry.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:21 - Sep 6 with 3041 viewsfooters

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:13 - Sep 6 by SpruceMoose

The image that creates in my mind is somehow worse than the very literal image Footers somehow managed to send us of his bellend via Whatsapp.

Just the tip of the iceberg...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:22 - Sep 6 with 3038 viewswkj

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:21 - Sep 6 by footers

Iceberg? I thought it looked more like a blue helmet, ease up a bit next time, no need to be so intense.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:35 - Sep 6 with 3017 viewsSpruceMoose

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:21 - Sep 6 by footers

I'm sure you've sunk it into a few titanics in your time eh!?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:08 - Sep 6 with 3002 viewsRyorry

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 18:20 - Sep 6 by GeoffSentence

How long dairy free did it take for the symptoms to improve?

Can't recall exactly but not long - think it was definitely by the end of week 5 though, or I wouldn't have persevered.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:10 - Sep 6 with 2999 viewsfooters

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:35 - Sep 6 by SpruceMoose

I'm sure you've sunk it into a few titanics in your time eh!?

I haven't slept with your wife, no.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:15 - Sep 6 with 2995 viewsRyorry

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:40 - Sep 6 by Ryorry

Tbh I'm too weary of the going round in circles thing emanating from Westminster at the mo to take any more from here, so will wish you a peaceful good eve! I look forward to Stokie posting his science qualifications up tho.

I only mentioned it because wkj said you were a Chemistry expert, Stokie!

Login to get fewer ads

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:36 - Sep 6 with 2985 viewsStokieBlue

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:10 - Sep 6 by footers

I haven't slept with your wife, no.

Ooofff.

SB
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 21:38]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:50 - Sep 6 with 2968 viewsHarry_Palmer

Homeopathy is quite clearly scientific nonsense that doesn't work.

Although the Royal family seem to swear by it apparently.

That will be the same Royal family who hardly ever suffer from serious illness and all seem to live in good health until a ripe old age.

Makes you wonder doesn't it.
Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:00 - Sep 6 with 2958 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You cannot have a "powerful placebo". Any placebo would be as powerful or not as any other.

It is possible there are things that may work that science does not fully understand. We certainly do not know everything.

I know very little about homeopathy in general and understand the medical experts are generally quite scathing of it. However, that doesn't in and of itself mean there are not elements of it that may have some positive effects.

To rely on it in place of proven medicinal alternatives would be rather foolish. To use what appears to have a positive effect in certain situations seems a sensible route to me.

Overall a healthy diet and good exercise is probably more important.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:30 - Sep 6 with 2949 viewsjeera

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 14:47 - Sep 6 by SpruceMoose

I'm glad you're feeling well and that your hound saw an improvement.

And in the words of Forest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.

When you know what's in the biscuit tin...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:42 - Sep 6 with 2944 viewsjeera

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:15 - Sep 6 by BrixtonBlue

Why is it only placebo when I take this particular remedy?

Is it in Ryorry's dog'd head?

It's perfectly acceptable to answer "I don't know" BTW.

Some dogs show unbridled faith in their owners.

My greyhound would show me if he hurt himself and I only had to show an interest and he'd wander off happy afterwards. To be fair he wasn't very bright.

Just a suggestion.

The other one would bite me if I went anywhere near her if she was injured so, who knows there.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 22:43]

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:49 - Sep 6 with 2932 viewsStokieBlue

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:50 - Sep 6 by Harry_Palmer

Homeopathy is quite clearly scientific nonsense that doesn't work.

Although the Royal family seem to swear by it apparently.

That will be the same Royal family who hardly ever suffer from serious illness and all seem to live in good health until a ripe old age.

Makes you wonder doesn't it.

The same royal family that has everything given to them on a plate with no stress. The best of everything, servants to do everything, as much relaxation time as they want wherever they want.

That correlation is just as likely (far more likely in reality) than homeopathy having any benefits.

SB
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 22:51]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:52 - Sep 6 with 2928 viewsjeera

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:49 - Sep 6 by StokieBlue

The same royal family that has everything given to them on a plate with no stress. The best of everything, servants to do everything, as much relaxation time as they want wherever they want.

That correlation is just as likely (far more likely in reality) than homeopathy having any benefits.

SB

And access to the best healthcare money can buy.

Just in case the ground-up brickwork doesn't work.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 23:27 - Sep 6 with 2912 viewsRyorry

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:42 - Sep 6 by jeera

Some dogs show unbridled faith in their owners.

My greyhound would show me if he hurt himself and I only had to show an interest and he'd wander off happy afterwards. To be fair he wasn't very bright.

Just a suggestion.

The other one would bite me if I went anywhere near her if she was injured so, who knows there.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 22:43]

The following are a true record of actual events that happened, I expect I'll get mocked but don't care, people can make of them what they will.

1. I had a pair of pet lambs (siblings) back in the '90s that ran with a local farmer's flock in the fields outside my house. One morning I found one of them completely collapsed, placed it in a strawed down stable & called the vet. Vet said no hope, it had pasture sickness (a meningitis-like virus), was blind & deaf due to encephelitis (brain swelling), nothing he could do & it'd be dead by next morning (it was flat out & not moving or otherwise responding at this point).

In desperation, I tried passing my hands over its body a few times, just half an inch from its coat. It got up and walked around. When I went back couple of hours later it was flat out again, so I did same thing again, and again it got up and walked around. Bear in mind it couldn't see, hear or feel me. Another 2-3 hours after that it was flat out again, but visitor had arrived. I thought I'd better get a witness for these rather odd happenings! so took him into the stable with me - whereupon (you guessed it) it didn't work. Next morning that lamb was up and eating the grass outside the stable, and remained fit and well thereafter. Vet could offer no explanation, and neither can I.

2. A young female tenant who once shared my house was driven home from work 14 miles away by a colleague one day. She'd just incurred her 3rd episode of frozen shoulder within a short timespan, so had had her permitted allocation of steroid injections, wasn't allowed any more, and was therefore told by the hospital that the only "cure" was total rest for at least 2 weeks with no driving. She was completely immobilized and in great pain, so it'd have been enforced rest anyway. I told her about the lamb & said I could try same thing on her if she liked, but there was pretty much no chance it'd work again, and on a human too. However, we both agreed she had nothing to lose, she loved her work, was impatient to get back, and in acute pain, so we gave it a whirl for a couple of minutes. I honestly don't know who was more shocked, me or her, when after a couple of minutes she straightened up and said "it's gone"! We were actually both pretty freaked out by it, but next morning she got up, drove herself to work without any symptoms, and was 100% fine thereafter. I guess with a human that could have been placebo effect, but as I said re the lamb, that was blind, deaf & couldn't feel my touch, so placebo effect there would have been impossible.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 09:47 - Sep 7 with 2833 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 23:27 - Sep 6 by Ryorry

The following are a true record of actual events that happened, I expect I'll get mocked but don't care, people can make of them what they will.

1. I had a pair of pet lambs (siblings) back in the '90s that ran with a local farmer's flock in the fields outside my house. One morning I found one of them completely collapsed, placed it in a strawed down stable & called the vet. Vet said no hope, it had pasture sickness (a meningitis-like virus), was blind & deaf due to encephelitis (brain swelling), nothing he could do & it'd be dead by next morning (it was flat out & not moving or otherwise responding at this point).

In desperation, I tried passing my hands over its body a few times, just half an inch from its coat. It got up and walked around. When I went back couple of hours later it was flat out again, so I did same thing again, and again it got up and walked around. Bear in mind it couldn't see, hear or feel me. Another 2-3 hours after that it was flat out again, but visitor had arrived. I thought I'd better get a witness for these rather odd happenings! so took him into the stable with me - whereupon (you guessed it) it didn't work. Next morning that lamb was up and eating the grass outside the stable, and remained fit and well thereafter. Vet could offer no explanation, and neither can I.

2. A young female tenant who once shared my house was driven home from work 14 miles away by a colleague one day. She'd just incurred her 3rd episode of frozen shoulder within a short timespan, so had had her permitted allocation of steroid injections, wasn't allowed any more, and was therefore told by the hospital that the only "cure" was total rest for at least 2 weeks with no driving. She was completely immobilized and in great pain, so it'd have been enforced rest anyway. I told her about the lamb & said I could try same thing on her if she liked, but there was pretty much no chance it'd work again, and on a human too. However, we both agreed she had nothing to lose, she loved her work, was impatient to get back, and in acute pain, so we gave it a whirl for a couple of minutes. I honestly don't know who was more shocked, me or her, when after a couple of minutes she straightened up and said "it's gone"! We were actually both pretty freaked out by it, but next morning she got up, drove herself to work without any symptoms, and was 100% fine thereafter. I guess with a human that could have been placebo effect, but as I said re the lamb, that was blind, deaf & couldn't feel my touch, so placebo effect there would have been impossible.

Are you the second coming?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 10:26 - Sep 7 with 2819 viewsfooters

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 09:47 - Sep 7 by BrixtonBlue

Are you the second coming?

It's only polite to come second.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 10:32 - Sep 7 with 2813 viewsElephantintheRoom

Homeopathy is not the problem - it's the claims made for ineffective sub-therapeutic doses and unlicenced products. Many medicines still in use today come from homeopathic roots - the most obvious being aspirin from willow bark or digitalis from foxgloves. Orr indeed feverfew which has shown itself remarkably effective against migraine, let alone headaches.

You shouldn't mock the placebo effect - so many problems are in the mind - including backache which studies show is 40% due to depression. So a bit of positive thinking caan work wonders. Bit like the quack giving you something for a cold or man flu. It will go away anyway.

I worked on the launch of Zovirax which is still prescribed for cold sores and sold over the counter. The medical trials showed without treatment a cold sore would last 7 days - but with Zovirax it would be gone within a week.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 10:54 - Sep 7 with 2808 viewsGeoffSentence

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:08 - Sep 6 by Ryorry

Can't recall exactly but not long - think it was definitely by the end of week 5 though, or I wouldn't have persevered.

I have congestion problems, and a I also love dairy, so if I tried this and didn't start seeing some improvement much earlier than week five, I am pretty sure I would give it up and chomp on some Gouda.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 11:03 - Sep 7 with 2801 viewssparks

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 10:32 - Sep 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Homeopathy is not the problem - it's the claims made for ineffective sub-therapeutic doses and unlicenced products. Many medicines still in use today come from homeopathic roots - the most obvious being aspirin from willow bark or digitalis from foxgloves. Orr indeed feverfew which has shown itself remarkably effective against migraine, let alone headaches.

You shouldn't mock the placebo effect - so many problems are in the mind - including backache which studies show is 40% due to depression. So a bit of positive thinking caan work wonders. Bit like the quack giving you something for a cold or man flu. It will go away anyway.

I worked on the launch of Zovirax which is still prescribed for cold sores and sold over the counter. The medical trials showed without treatment a cold sore would last 7 days - but with Zovirax it would be gone within a week.

You are erroneously conflating homeopathy with natural remedies.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 11:04 - Sep 7 with 2793 viewsRyorry

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 10:54 - Sep 7 by GeoffSentence

I have congestion problems, and a I also love dairy, so if I tried this and didn't start seeing some improvement much earlier than week five, I am pretty sure I would give it up and chomp on some Gouda.

If you're really badly affected by your symptoms, it's worth persisting, honestly! Though I loathed milk I found giving it up in tea very hard, but now find Alpro whole-bean organic soya just as good. The worst was giving up cheese I must admit, but Cheezley white cheddar-style (soya and potato based) is fantastic, v. much like real cheddar, and again a great substitute. They also do a lovely blue-style, but have recently changed the recipe for that which I can't try as it now contains coconut, which I'm also allergic to.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:43 - Sep 7 with 2733 viewsHarry_Palmer

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:49 - Sep 6 by StokieBlue

SB

All of the things you mention undoubtedly play a big part, however it is interesting that a Royal family that has the wealth to buy the best of everything should chose to employ homeopathic Doctors to look after their health needs.

Perhaps they know something that the rest of us and the science community don't ?
Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:55 - Sep 7 with 2723 viewsHarry_Palmer

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 23:27 - Sep 6 by Ryorry

That's very interesting Ryorry, thanks for sharing. It's also noticeable that your detractors on this thread don't appear to have anything to say about this. It's almost as if there are things that science still cannot fully explain!

What you did actually sounds very similar to Reiki healing, maybe you have a talent for this!
Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:01 - Sep 7 with 2717 viewsjeera

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:55 - Sep 7 by Harry_Palmer

That's very interesting Ryorry, thanks for sharing. It's also noticeable that your detractors on this thread don't appear to have anything to say about this. It's almost as if there are things that science still cannot fully explain!

What you did actually sounds very similar to Reiki healing, maybe you have a talent for this!

What detractors?

Are you deliberately trying to stoke arguments where there are none?

Have you considered some don't want to be rude, or have simply said their piece and are done, as you decide to drop by every now and then rather than complete what you were saying in one session.

Don't be so daft.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024