Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? 14:24 - Sep 6 with 23807 viewsGeoffSentence

Homeopathy is clearly scientific nonsense, especially given stuff like this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/20/queens-homeopathic-pharmacist-sellin

but I think there is a case for it as a placebo.

The placebo effect is pretty powerful, so if people are willing to bypass sense and reason to get that, I am going to go out on a limb and say no harm done.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 12:14 - Sep 9 with 726 viewsfooters

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 12:05 - Sep 9 by Ryorry

The NHS offered me hypnosis for my back pain in the late 1970s. I went for one session, but the hypnotist came across to me as such a horrible snakey little man that I barely trusted being alone in the room with him while awake, never mind asleep/unconscious or whatever state it is that you're in under hypnosis! So while he tried to put me under, and I didn't consciously try to resist, I simply didn't go under, and didn't try it again with anyone else.

To give a positive review of hypnosis, dear old mother footers suffers from anxiety when driving. She had tried all sorts when it got really bad and then started hypnotherapy. It seemed to work a treat for her. The only obvious downside is that you have to keep going and paying for it.

Obviously this is only anecdotal and I have no qualification to either support or criticise hypnosis beyond that.

I will also add that her anti-anxiety medication made her half insane with panic. After about a week I flushed them down the toilet.

Horses for courses I suppose.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 14:03 - Sep 9 with 668 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 22:28 - Sep 8 by StokieBlue

You are saying everything available on the NHS is proven to work. We know that isn't true as homeopathy was only recently removed from the NHS treatment list.

There are numerous studies which have proven through double-blinded tests that acupuncture doesn't work over placebo. I wouldn't be surprised to see it removed from the NHS treatment list over due course but I don't know enough about NHS procedures to confirm that (maybe Badger does?).

An article on the flaws of pro-acupuncture studies:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/bait-and-switch-acupuncture-studies/

Study showing acupuncture no better than placebo in double-blind tests:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0002934383911178

There are more of course and I am sure you will be able to find one or two saying it works which haven't been debunked yet.

SB

Haven't got time to read them just now, but I just thought it odd that acupuncture would be available on the NHS if it didn't work. I'd have thought they would have rigorously tested it before offering it, although I must admit I didn't know homeopathy had been offered as well (and removed).

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 14:07 - Sep 9 with 665 viewsStokieBlue

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 14:03 - Sep 9 by BrixtonBlue

Haven't got time to read them just now, but I just thought it odd that acupuncture would be available on the NHS if it didn't work. I'd have thought they would have rigorously tested it before offering it, although I must admit I didn't know homeopathy had been offered as well (and removed).

You'd think that wouldn't you but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case.

If anyone is considering acupuncture then make sure to give this place a swerve that I saw in the news today:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/acupuncturist-puncture-pati

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 14:08 - Sep 9 with 661 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 12:05 - Sep 9 by Ryorry

The NHS offered me hypnosis for my back pain in the late 1970s. I went for one session, but the hypnotist came across to me as such a horrible snakey little man that I barely trusted being alone in the room with him while awake, never mind asleep/unconscious or whatever state it is that you're in under hypnosis! So while he tried to put me under, and I didn't consciously try to resist, I simply didn't go under, and didn't try it again with anyone else.

I'm torn on hypnosis. Never worked for me but I have heard of people using it in major operations rather than anaesthetic, which is obviously something you can't fake (if those stories are indeed true).

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 21:26 - Sep 9 with 598 viewsjeera

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 12:14 - Sep 9 by footers

To give a positive review of hypnosis, dear old mother footers suffers from anxiety when driving. She had tried all sorts when it got really bad and then started hypnotherapy. It seemed to work a treat for her. The only obvious downside is that you have to keep going and paying for it.

Obviously this is only anecdotal and I have no qualification to either support or criticise hypnosis beyond that.

I will also add that her anti-anxiety medication made her half insane with panic. After about a week I flushed them down the toilet.

Horses for courses I suppose.

What makes people think it isn't for real?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024