Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? 14:24 - Sep 6 with 23806 viewsGeoffSentence

Homeopathy is clearly scientific nonsense, especially given stuff like this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/20/queens-homeopathic-pharmacist-sellin

but I think there is a case for it as a placebo.

The placebo effect is pretty powerful, so if people are willing to bypass sense and reason to get that, I am going to go out on a limb and say no harm done.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:35 - Sep 6 with 2368 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:18 - Sep 6 by BlueBadger

A lot of homeopathic 'cures' occur when the curee has tried it a as a last resort. What's actually happening is the effects of actual genuine proven treatments have been slow to kick in and usually coincide with the commencement of the last resort of Blue Passport and No Foreigners therapy.

Ben Goldacre in 'bad science' explains this considerably better than I do, by the way.

https://www.badscience.net/2008/03/all-bow-before-the-might-of-the-placebo-effec

https://www.badscience.net/2004/04/whats-wrong-with-the-placebo-effect/

Placebo is a weaird and fascinating thing.

This is another good explanation. Thanks. My experience certainly fits into "last resort." Not sure why it continues to work when I've stopped the other things, but at least it's more of an answer.

Maybe, as well, my catarrh symptoms improve of their own accord because my diet is better now, or I exercise more (both of which are true).

Like I've said many times, I'm just looking for an explanation. At least your post here has given more food for thought than "It doesn't work, science says so, the end."

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:39 - Sep 6 with 2351 viewsBlueBadger

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 15:38 - Sep 6 by m14_blue

But it has been investigated, thoroughly, by scientists and experts in the field.

There is no evidence that it works.

You may choose to believe in it, despite the lack of evidence, but it seems very odd to attack Stokie for opting to believe the medical experts.

Belief in a treatment is a powerful thing. It's been demonstrated that if a practitioner 'believes' in certain therapies then it has a greater effect.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:40 - Sep 6 with 2352 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:39 - Sep 6 by BlueBadger

Belief in a treatment is a powerful thing. It's been demonstrated that if a practitioner 'believes' in certain therapies then it has a greater effect.

Yeah but belief isn't an answer if it works on animals.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:41 - Sep 6 with 2346 viewsBlueBadger

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:35 - Sep 6 by BrixtonBlue

This is another good explanation. Thanks. My experience certainly fits into "last resort." Not sure why it continues to work when I've stopped the other things, but at least it's more of an answer.

Maybe, as well, my catarrh symptoms improve of their own accord because my diet is better now, or I exercise more (both of which are true).

Like I've said many times, I'm just looking for an explanation. At least your post here has given more food for thought than "It doesn't work, science says so, the end."

Long term lifestyle changes tend to take a while to hit, but they also hang around a lot longer, as well.
As I said above, placebo is a fascinating thing, invest in 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre and read about weird things like the influence practitioner faith has in therapies(something I've experience myself) and other such crazy stuff.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:42 - Sep 6 with 2349 viewsRyorry

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:35 - Sep 6 by BrixtonBlue

Re your catarrh - if it's any help, I'd been on point of an unpleasant sinuses op when my very enlightened GP back in about 1985 said "try stopping eating all dairy products for 5 weeks". I did, and guess what, my 30-year long symptoms completely disappeared & have stayed away as long as I do from dairy :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:45 - Sep 6 with 2334 viewsBlueBadger

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:40 - Sep 6 by BrixtonBlue

Practitioner faith in a treatment is one factor, the other is that this is an out-an-out lie that homeopaths tell and like a lot of other Science Things, It's A Lot More Complicated Than That.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161017-why-animals-experience-the-placebo-effec

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-there-a-placebo-effect-for-animals/
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 16:51]

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:50 - Sep 6 with 2325 viewsBlueBadger

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:03 - Sep 6 by Ryorry

All I said was that it worked for me 66% of the time when I had fully expected it not to work for me at all at all because I was a complete sceptic.

For a scientist, you don't half seem to be a bit poor at reading everything that's there in black and white. I'm nt having a go at you as you're usually a very good poster who I have a lot of respect for, but you do seem to have a bit of a blind spot with this one.

I'm sure there are many people who disagree with Prof Smith, as there were with Marie Curie, Galileo, etc etc through the centuries.

People have tested and proven Curie, Gallileo, etc correct.
Gallileo and Curie test and tested and tested and didn't publish untl they were certain they were correct.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:57 - Sep 6 with 2322 viewsRyorry

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:50 - Sep 6 by BlueBadger

People have tested and proven Curie, Gallileo, etc correct.
Gallileo and Curie test and tested and tested and didn't publish untl they were certain they were correct.

As I said earlier, until MRI scanning came in, a test wasn't possible that would diagnose my (congenital) spinal condition. Once it did, I got an immediate diagnosis - but I was in my 40s by that time!

I think Brixton said something simiar earlier about the appropriate/necessary diagnostic tools being available.

I do accept Sparks' and others' points about the *results* of double blind tests, but of course that doesn't mean homeopathy doesn't work for *some* people (and animals) *sometimes*.

Login to get fewer ads

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:57 - Sep 6 with 2322 viewsWeWereZombies

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:45 - Sep 6 by BlueBadger

Practitioner faith in a treatment is one factor, the other is that this is an out-an-out lie that homeopaths tell and like a lot of other Science Things, It's A Lot More Complicated Than That.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161017-why-animals-experience-the-placebo-effec

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-there-a-placebo-effect-for-animals/
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 16:51]

Great articles

But they don't explain the shagging slippers bit.

And I am concerned about whether the slippers have given consent...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:58 - Sep 6 with 2318 viewsfooters

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:57 - Sep 6 by WeWereZombies

Great articles

They had their tongues out...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:01 - Sep 6 with 2312 viewsWeWereZombies

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:58 - Sep 6 by footers

They had their tongues out...

And they felt it right down in their sole...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:08 - Sep 6 with 2299 viewsBlueBadger

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:57 - Sep 6 by WeWereZombies

Great articles

Perhaps you just have really HOT slippers..

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:18 - Sep 6 with 2290 viewsBlueBadger

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:57 - Sep 6 by Ryorry

As I said earlier, until MRI scanning came in, a test wasn't possible that would diagnose my (congenital) spinal condition. Once it did, I got an immediate diagnosis - but I was in my 40s by that time!

I think Brixton said something simiar earlier about the appropriate/necessary diagnostic tools being available.

I do accept Sparks' and others' points about the *results* of double blind tests, but of course that doesn't mean homeopathy doesn't work for *some* people (and animals) *sometimes*.

It's not homeopathy that's working though, it's the placebo effect that is.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:40 - Sep 6 with 2283 viewsRyorry

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:18 - Sep 6 by BlueBadger

It's not homeopathy that's working though, it's the placebo effect that is.

Tbh I'm too weary of the going round in circles thing emanating from Westminster at the mo to take any more from here, so will wish you a peaceful good eve! I look forward to Stokie posting his science qualifications up tho.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:50 - Sep 6 with 2280 viewsGeoffSentence

This thread is out of date already, overtaken by events

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/06/british-grandfather-believes-lourdes

Holy Water is the new homeopathy.

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:51 - Sep 6 with 2276 viewsSpruceMoose

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:50 - Sep 6 by GeoffSentence

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/06/british-grandfather-believes-lourdes

So I can take these magnets off my nipples now?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:58 - Sep 6 with 2269 viewsGeoffSentence

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:51 - Sep 6 by SpruceMoose

So I can take these magnets off my nipples now?

Gotta get yourself down to Lourdes first

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 18:20 - Sep 6 with 2254 viewsGeoffSentence

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:42 - Sep 6 by Ryorry

Re your catarrh - if it's any help, I'd been on point of an unpleasant sinuses op when my very enlightened GP back in about 1985 said "try stopping eating all dairy products for 5 weeks". I did, and guess what, my 30-year long symptoms completely disappeared & have stayed away as long as I do from dairy :)

How long dairy free did it take for the symptoms to improve?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 18:46 - Sep 6 with 2243 viewsDanTheMan

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 16:40 - Sep 6 by BrixtonBlue

You say that but unfortunately placebo actually takes place in animals to some degree. And this is even without taking into account the human element of you taking behaviour in believing an animal is better without any proof that it actually is.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 18:51 - Sep 6 with 2238 viewsEwan_Oozami

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:50 - Sep 6 by GeoffSentence

I'm going to ask for his water bottle at the next home game.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 18:54 - Sep 6 with 2238 viewsEwan_Oozami

Great band....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:11 - Sep 6 with 2230 viewswkj

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 17:08 - Sep 6 by BlueBadger

Perhaps you just have really HOT slippers..

I don't think my slippers are that HOT, They certainly give me No wood.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:13 - Sep 6 with 2227 viewsSpruceMoose

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:11 - Sep 6 by wkj

I don't think my slippers are that HOT, They certainly give me No wood.

The image that creates in my mind is somehow worse than the very literal image Footers somehow managed to send us of his bellend via Whatsapp.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:13 - Sep 6 with 2227 viewswkj

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 18:46 - Sep 6 by DanTheMan

You say that but unfortunately placebo actually takes place in animals to some degree. And this is even without taking into account the human element of you taking behaviour in believing an animal is better without any proof that it actually is.

I was trying not to engage in the anthropomorphism can or worms myself, god bless you for shouldering that burden for me

Crybaby

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:15 - Sep 6 with 2225 viewswkj

Dangerous mumbo jumbo or powerful placebo? on 19:13 - Sep 6 by SpruceMoose

The image that creates in my mind is somehow worse than the very literal image Footers somehow managed to send us of his bellend via Whatsapp.

I thought we agreed to call it by its nickname, Penfold

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024