Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? 07:53 - Apr 11 with 7402 viewsgroovyASH

He has failed to turn around our form, his signings have made little impact. Our apparent attempts to play "better football" has seen us comprehensively relegated.

Anyone up to the age of 20 will not have memories of us being anything but Championship mediocrity finally dumped, and not give a sh1t about it. Horrible thought that.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 07:57 - Apr 11 with 6345 viewsBloomBlue

Football is about winning, if a team is constantly winning but the style is cr$p fans perceive the style as great.

When it comes to winning matches Hurst and Lambert have both failed when compared with Mick
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 08:03 - Apr 11 with 6325 viewsLimitlessBlue

On the signings front I would say he was very hampered to try to sign players on low wages but also those who were willing to come to a club who were going to be relegated. If what we got out of it was Alan Judge becoming a town player then I am OK with his dealings and expected very little tbh.

It does make me wonder if the emperor really is naked, I guess time will tell in League 1. Id say once the new season starts our fans will finally have expectations that will need meeting.

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 08:12 - Apr 11 with 6293 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Judge him next season.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 08:29 - Apr 11 with 6246 viewsGarv

I'm not sure that his initial plan was the right one. Coming straight in and trying to get a team that had done the same thing for six years to start passing the ball from the keeper, splitting the CBs etc. I did think he was going to make us ugly first and sort out the set pieces. Have to admire his ambition and desire to get people interested and in fairness we did start scoring goals pretty much straight away, but they weren't getting us results and those goals dried up.

Recruitment was as good as it was going to be for me. Keane was on course to be a huge success, and he's a prime example of the kind of injury prone signing you're likely to get in January while sat bottom. Quaner is a step up from Harrison and a further step up from Jackson, it's disappointing how long it's taken him to add goals. Judge is Judge. Bree has done all right.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 08:32 - Apr 11 with 6225 viewsitfcjoe

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 08:29 - Apr 11 by Garv

I'm not sure that his initial plan was the right one. Coming straight in and trying to get a team that had done the same thing for six years to start passing the ball from the keeper, splitting the CBs etc. I did think he was going to make us ugly first and sort out the set pieces. Have to admire his ambition and desire to get people interested and in fairness we did start scoring goals pretty much straight away, but they weren't getting us results and those goals dried up.

Recruitment was as good as it was going to be for me. Keane was on course to be a huge success, and he's a prime example of the kind of injury prone signing you're likely to get in January while sat bottom. Quaner is a step up from Harrison and a further step up from Jackson, it's disappointing how long it's taken him to add goals. Judge is Judge. Bree has done all right.

Yeah agree with this, when you speak to fans of his old club - Norwich most notably - they talk about how he goes out to win games, how he makes subs to try and win games and risks losing them.

But not sure that approach was right one to take initially here, he needed to settle in and try and improve us and then go from there. But whilst it hasn't worked, it probably has given us a better chance long term to be a success as he has seemingly bedded in this new playing style and has a chance to look at all the players and recruit fot it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 08:46 - Apr 11 with 6140 viewsCoastalblue

The state we're in and have been in for most of the season anybody expecting a manager to walk through the door and immediately turn things around was always in for a rude shock.

We have changed direction, that is going to take time, yes the jury is out on Lambert but anybody who wants to start making judgements this side of next season is being premature.

We have a club that appears to be pulling in one direction again (yeah I know someone will be a smart arse and say downwards) though we have yet to see that translate on to the pitch.

I want to believe it will, but we have to let the guy build the team he wants and scrambling around in the January window doesn't qualify as that for me.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 12:31 - Apr 11 with 6002 viewsGuthrum

Yes, but let's take into account the circumstances at his arrival. A squad without effective strikers, fragile in defence, goalies lacking confidence. Too many of the new signings struggling to find their feet at a higher level. Morale poor both on the pitch and among fans. Already rooted to the bottom of the table with just a single win. The "emergency" loan window having been abolished a couple of seasons before, no way to recruit new players (apart from free agents) until January.

On the pitch: Lambert has imposed a particular style, with passing, running and generally more energy and speed than the last couple of seasons. He's introduced and used several young players (Kenlock, Downes, Lankester). Player morale has recovered and confidence is growing (Sears scoring, coming back from behind to draw, late goals).

However, key injuries, lack of quality and running out of time (no preseason, already adrift of safety in October) have repeatedly knocked us back. Losing Sears and then Keane was crucial, Skuse has not really recovered from his injury, Pennington is a loss, Collins' fragility erodes his usefulness.

Signings: I'd argue that his signings have been effective, in the main. Keane scored goals, Collins has added steel to the defence (we've won 40% of the games in which he's played), Judge has added fluidity in midfield, Bree has been an improvement at right back. Quaner, while patchy, has also finally started scoring. Elder and Dawkins are the only ones who really haven't worked out. This given we were trying to sign players on a restricted budget while already looking doomed to relegation.

Off the pitch: Lambert has worked wonders in restoring the relationship between club and fans. There is now mostly a sense of positivity about the future, despite relegation. That no mean feat with a set of supporters as jaded as Town's had become, the circumstances of this season and the atmosphere inherited from the previous one.

On the whole, I'd score him at least 6.5/10 since his arrival. But the real judgement has to be made next autumn, when we have an idea of how things are going and the chances of promotion.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 12:37 - Apr 11 with 5978 viewsReuser_is_God

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 12:31 - Apr 11 by Guthrum

Yes, but let's take into account the circumstances at his arrival. A squad without effective strikers, fragile in defence, goalies lacking confidence. Too many of the new signings struggling to find their feet at a higher level. Morale poor both on the pitch and among fans. Already rooted to the bottom of the table with just a single win. The "emergency" loan window having been abolished a couple of seasons before, no way to recruit new players (apart from free agents) until January.

On the pitch: Lambert has imposed a particular style, with passing, running and generally more energy and speed than the last couple of seasons. He's introduced and used several young players (Kenlock, Downes, Lankester). Player morale has recovered and confidence is growing (Sears scoring, coming back from behind to draw, late goals).

However, key injuries, lack of quality and running out of time (no preseason, already adrift of safety in October) have repeatedly knocked us back. Losing Sears and then Keane was crucial, Skuse has not really recovered from his injury, Pennington is a loss, Collins' fragility erodes his usefulness.

Signings: I'd argue that his signings have been effective, in the main. Keane scored goals, Collins has added steel to the defence (we've won 40% of the games in which he's played), Judge has added fluidity in midfield, Bree has been an improvement at right back. Quaner, while patchy, has also finally started scoring. Elder and Dawkins are the only ones who really haven't worked out. This given we were trying to sign players on a restricted budget while already looking doomed to relegation.

Off the pitch: Lambert has worked wonders in restoring the relationship between club and fans. There is now mostly a sense of positivity about the future, despite relegation. That no mean feat with a set of supporters as jaded as Town's had become, the circumstances of this season and the atmosphere inherited from the previous one.

On the whole, I'd score him at least 6.5/10 since his arrival. But the real judgement has to be made next autumn, when we have an idea of how things are going and the chances of promotion.

Spot on Guthers, as per.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 12:44 - Apr 11 with 5958 viewsPJH

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 08:29 - Apr 11 by Garv

The initial plan for anyone coming in in the situation that he did SHOULD have been to accumulate the points necessary to get us out of the mess, however it was achieved.
PL's philosophy was and is admirable but it was not what was needed in the situation that we were(and still are) in.

He will need a good start next season because this feel good about everything situation will not last too long unless results justify it.

I like a hell of a lot about PL but at some point people will come to the conclusion that results are just a little bit important.
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 12:47 - Apr 11 with 5935 viewsSuperfrans

Personally, I do agree that the jury is definitely out with Lambert so far.

He has done lots of good things (re-engaging with the fans, signing Judge, boosting squad confidence, playing lots of the kids, starting to get a passing style of play embedded) but a manager will always be judged by results and his results have to improve, of course.

That said, the critical factor for me is the lack of striking options and our soft centre. Quaner has not worked, for me. he isn't good enough to be a central striker in a one upfront formation - he doesn't make the right runs, doesn't lead the line, doesn't anticipate through balls with his runs, can't head the ball etc etc. Having no focus upfront therefore hinders our attacking midfielders. Several times we got crosses into the centre, or played through balls and there was nobody in the right position.

We need 3/4 fit strikers next season. Sears, Folami and Morris are unlikely to be fit until the autumn (if then) so I'd be starting off thinking we need to supplement Jackson and Harrison with at least two others - or more if Lambert doesn't fancy either of them. Norwood would be a great option, hopefully we can bring in a wiser old head too.

In the centre, with Skuse cleary likely to be an increasingly bit part player, we need a big, strong, athletic central midfielder, who can dominate games, the kind of player we've needed for years.

if we can find the players to fit the bill, that should give us a stronger spine, capable of giving our younger, more creative players to work around them.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 13:25 - Apr 11 with 5819 viewsRadlett_blue

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 12:47 - Apr 11 by Superfrans

Personally, I do agree that the jury is definitely out with Lambert so far.

He has done lots of good things (re-engaging with the fans, signing Judge, boosting squad confidence, playing lots of the kids, starting to get a passing style of play embedded) but a manager will always be judged by results and his results have to improve, of course.

That said, the critical factor for me is the lack of striking options and our soft centre. Quaner has not worked, for me. he isn't good enough to be a central striker in a one upfront formation - he doesn't make the right runs, doesn't lead the line, doesn't anticipate through balls with his runs, can't head the ball etc etc. Having no focus upfront therefore hinders our attacking midfielders. Several times we got crosses into the centre, or played through balls and there was nobody in the right position.

We need 3/4 fit strikers next season. Sears, Folami and Morris are unlikely to be fit until the autumn (if then) so I'd be starting off thinking we need to supplement Jackson and Harrison with at least two others - or more if Lambert doesn't fancy either of them. Norwood would be a great option, hopefully we can bring in a wiser old head too.

In the centre, with Skuse cleary likely to be an increasingly bit part player, we need a big, strong, athletic central midfielder, who can dominate games, the kind of player we've needed for years.

if we can find the players to fit the bill, that should give us a stronger spine, capable of giving our younger, more creative players to work around them.

I think expecting an upgrade on Skuse as defensive midfielder is unrealistic on a League 1 budget.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 13:37 - Apr 11 with 5772 viewsSuperfrans

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 13:25 - Apr 11 by Radlett_blue

I think expecting an upgrade on Skuse as defensive midfielder is unrealistic on a League 1 budget.

Perhaps "upgrade" is the wrong term.

Skuse can't play two games a week anymore, that seems clear from recent weeks.
Lambert will bring in someone else, even if its some hairy-asred pro from league 1/2 who knows how to run a game in Lge 1. We will need someone in the middle other than Flynn to sub/assist Skuse.

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 14:04 - Apr 11 with 5703 viewsHoppersblue10

👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Poll: Who do you want to win on Sunday?

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 15:26 - Apr 11 with 5587 viewsNo9

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 13:25 - Apr 11 by Radlett_blue

As Town go down to re-build keeping Cole Skuse in the team, or even on the bench, is not a sensible way to go.
It needs to be a rebuild with young blood who will be good enough to work for 2 or maybe 3 season.
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 15:27 - Apr 11 with 5583 viewsNo9

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 07:57 - Apr 11 by BloomBlue

Football is about winning, if a team is constantly winning but the style is cr$p fans perceive the style as great.

When it comes to winning matches Hurst and Lambert have both failed when compared with Mick

Have you ever looked at MM's home record?
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 15:29 - Apr 11 with 5575 viewsRobTheMonk

Hamstrung by Evans. Legs chopped off by Hurst. Lambert has got us back with a pegleg. Happy to see what he can do. We've looked maginally better under him and to be fair, we were playing with virtually no strikers for a while.

Lambert's been given a free pass because of the mess that the squads in. This season is over. On to the next where the free pass no longer applies and scrutinisation will be more viable if we're stuggling.
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 15:30 - Apr 11 with 5574 viewsMrTown

Wait until next season. If all isn’t well I’m sure he’ll be heavily scrutinised then.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 15:56 - Apr 11 with 5509 viewshampstead_blue

A few have mentioned the 'soft core' and and ageing Skuse but have not bought up Chambers.

He's been ever present. Fair enough he's good at tub thumping, but does he not have to carry some responsibility for that 'soft core'?
As skipper, and an allegedly inspiring one, he ought to have had a much greater effect on that.

I'm not picking on him and know he's popular, but I'd have a new CB as priority #2 after a striker (or two).

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 16:04 - Apr 11 with 5489 viewsNo9

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 15:56 - Apr 11 by hampstead_blue

A few have mentioned the 'soft core' and and ageing Skuse but have not bought up Chambers.

He's been ever present. Fair enough he's good at tub thumping, but does he not have to carry some responsibility for that 'soft core'?
As skipper, and an allegedly inspiring one, he ought to have had a much greater effect on that.

I'm not picking on him and know he's popular, but I'd have a new CB as priority #2 after a striker (or two).

Luke Chambers has been good value as skipper but when Town start next season that value on the pitch could well be limited to just being Club Captain off field.
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 17:12 - Apr 11 with 5376 viewsFenboyBlue

I am concerned that Lambert has achieved lots of positive and progressive changes at the club but its barely improved our results. But I'm still hopeful that his skills of getting out of League 1 are better than his skills of avoiding Championship relegation. I daresay he'll probably want to revisit the game plan of how he got Norwich backup, if that's even appropriate for our situation. Our Cup form in recent years to lower opposition has been atrocious. Imagine that every week in league games. We need to hit the ground running from the first game. Was there anything key he did to get Norwich backup ? I don't know I wasn't taking any notice of them - apart from the blooming obvious of winning games.
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 19:13 - Apr 11 with 5236 viewsSuperfrans

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 15:56 - Apr 11 by hampstead_blue

My comments about Skuse were as much a reflection of the fact that he’s barely started two games in a row over the past month or two as anything else. I’d say that suggests he is going to be in and out from now, that’s all.

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 20:05 - Apr 11 with 5165 viewsfabian_illness

My biggest frustration is our total ineptitude in the final third of the pitch.
We move the ball around well for a side at the bottom of the table and seem to progress over the half way line regularly but that’s where it all goes wrong.
If you only play a single striker the midfield needs to push on really quickly to make it work, but we seem to slow down, stop and retreat before they link with whoever gets the job of isolated striker.
I personally think selling Pitman was a mistake, probably more so than McG or Waghorn.
He is a really clever player but we never played to his strengths. He is that bit of class we could have done with.
For me, Jackson isn’t the player I’d hoped he’d be. A faster version of Freddie Sears with a worse first touch.
Harrison is a battler but unfortunately only a bit part player, not someone you’ll build round.
I can’t see Freddie regaining his early form although I was pleased to see him get a few before his unfortunate injury.
That leaves us really short of any quality up front.
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 22:02 - Apr 11 with 5023 viewsMrTown

Didn't read this until just now, but this is probably one of the best, well rounded balanced views I've ever seen posted on here.

If I could give you 10 puppies, I would.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 22:19 - Apr 11 with 4988 viewsgtsb

I'll scrutinise him come the end of October when he has had a preseason, got the team he wants on the budget we have and we are where we are in the league. I've a feeling I won't be criticising him.
Is it safe to scrutinise Lambert yet? on 03:45 - Apr 12 with 4826 viewsharlingblue

Lambert has been great at uniting the club and the supporters, very poor on getting results.
Recruited in enough time to save our season, but poor buys, unlucky injuries have blighted our season.
Our U23 Managers seem to know how to pick a winning team, with whatever players they are dealt, perhaps they should know be at the helm alongside PL?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024