Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When you look at things objectively... 12:03 - Jan 21 with 11384 viewsitfcjoe

...we are really total dog sh*te in reality aren't we.

3 wins all season - 2 of which saw the opposition miss countless decent chances
13 away games in a row conceding at least 2 goals
6 away games in a row without scoring
If anyone looks at xG and the like we are clearly the worst side in the division.

But yet at 2.59pm every Saturday i convince myself we are going to win the game.

Against Blackburn, at half time I felt as though we had done ok and were still in the game and stand by that - but you look at the highlights and they missed some sitters.

I feel the blue tinted specs I wear are letting me down - I see half chances by us as good chances, and the oppostion having good chances as half chances.

Elder makes a silly mistake for the penalty, but before then Sears had given away 2 stupid free kicks in dangerous areas, as had Skuse, Skuse had been caught out in possession which nearly led to a goal, Collins gave the ball away terribly which put them in for a good chance.

I keep thinking we make a silly error and then we get punished, the reality is we make SO MANY silly errors that of course we are punished for some.

To win a game we need to take the very few chances we create, and we need the opposition to miss a load of chances or the keeper to have a good game. We really are totally screwed.

Yet despite all this, when the team is announced for Villa game, I'll start talking myself into thinking that we can get a point or 3.

Is there any way we stay up? Is there anyway we can improve as drastically as is required?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

When you look at things objectively... on 12:06 - Jan 21 with 5427 viewsdavblue

in answer to your last 2 questions.

No and No.

It's too far gone this season, it's all about trying to build and give us the best possible chance to make a good start next year which is imperative if we have a bad end to the season.
When you look at things objectively... on 12:11 - Jan 21 with 5380 viewschicoazul

It's all over my G, it has been since early December.

Hurst ripped up a pretty decent team replaced them with lemons and destroyed Bart's confidence, meanwhile key men Chambers and Skuse got a bit older & more injury prone and Jonas decided he was off.

By the time Lambert arrived we were adrift and sadly by the time the window came around nobody who could make a difference would sign for us. That is not to say the new men arent good as I am sure they are much better than the men they have replaced but as Lambert himself says it's "madness" to build a team on loans.

All that remains is to enjoy the rest of the season and the young players we have before they are all sold, and come back in August with a happy heart to roar the boys on to a top 8 L1 finish. It'll be nice to win a few games.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

When you look at things objectively... on 12:11 - Jan 21 with 5368 viewsITFC_Forever

When you look at things objectively... on 12:06 - Jan 21 by davblue

in answer to your last 2 questions.

No and No.

It's too far gone this season, it's all about trying to build and give us the best possible chance to make a good start next year which is imperative if we have a bad end to the season.

You beat me to it.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

When you look at things objectively... on 12:12 - Jan 21 with 5369 viewsSteve_M

The only hope is that the new signings are up to speed and fitness fairly promptly. Didn't watch more than highlights of Saturday but that lack of fitness was a problem against Rotherham in the second half. It's asking a lot.

Your point about constant mistakes, that's pressure isn't it? We can't keep possession and aren't set up to counteract that, at least under Mick we generally stayed far more solid when we couldn't keep the ball.

On top of that Sears has looked like he needs a rest for the last three weeks. Not surprising given the amount of running he;s done since October.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

When you look at things objectively... on 12:12 - Jan 21 with 5356 viewsfactual_blue

It's the self-delusion that kills.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

on 12:12 - Jan 21 with 5362 views_

When you look at things objectively... on 12:15 - Jan 21 with 5334 viewsGuthrum

In reality, most other teams in this division also make loads of mistakes (hence why we have mostly been in the middle or upper reaches of the Championship since relegation).

However, this season we have lost a little bit of that parity with the rest, but just enough to put us under the cosh. Now we are starting the second half of the season already significantly behind, with a new squad (no preseason, no time to "gel"), many of whom are still lacking in confidence from the battering of the first half. Plus, in many areas, we still lack decent cover/substitutes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When you look at things objectively... on 12:16 - Jan 21 with 5327 viewsfooters

When you look at things objectively... on 12:11 - Jan 21 by chicoazul

Hurst ripped up a pretty decent team replaced them with lemons and destroyed Bart's confidence, meanwhile key men Chambers and Skuse got a bit older & more injury prone and Jonas decided he was off.

By the time Lambert arrived we were adrift and sadly by the time the window came around nobody who could make a difference would sign for us. That is not to say the new men arent good as I am sure they are much better than the men they have replaced but as Lambert himself says it's "madness" to build a team on loans.

All that remains is to enjoy the rest of the season and the young players we have before they are all sold, and come back in August with a happy heart to roar the boys on to a top 8 L1 finish. It'll be nice to win a few games.

Here's my worry- when we drop down we'll have to do what Hurst did again and bring in practically a whole new squad for that league. There'll be so many ins and outs our heads will spin and could end up with a fragmented squad again.

And you were right, chickers. I still had some faith before Christmas but now it's all over bar the shouting (or murmuring, more ITFC innit).
[Post edited 21 Jan 2019 12:17]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

When you look at things objectively... on 12:16 - Jan 21 with 5326 viewsBlueBadger

Personally, I felt that Hurst should have gone after Middleboro at home. That's possibly the most abject Town performance I've seen since Bolton away in 2002. I felt that we would would probably go down after our failure to get anything much out of Reading and Bristol City at home. They were golden opportunities to close the gap and we blew them.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

on 12:18 - Jan 21 with 5298 views_

When you look at things objectively... on 12:16 - Jan 21 by footers

Here's my worry- when we drop down we'll have to do what Hurst did again and bring in practically a whole new squad for that league. There'll be so many ins and outs our heads will spin and could end up with a fragmented squad again.

And you were right, chickers. I still had some faith before Christmas but now it's all over bar the shouting (or murmuring, more ITFC innit).

When you look at things objectively... on 12:18 - Jan 21 with 5297 viewswkj

Im trying to keep my Lambert criticisms in check, thought there are a couple of points I feel he needs to be pulled up on.

- Not a skuse boo boy, but he's been bought back too soon, we miss a skuse working at 100% but we have better than skuse when he is not fully fit.

- Attack, We have big problems with attack, and I am not 100% convinced it is personnel problems, but rather system problems leaving people isolated. The type of footy Lambert is playing leaves us vulnrable to tiring if we have to press and chase a lot, and I feel if we are not scoring goals in the first half, all were doing is just gifting the opposition 45minutes of comfortable football. I said in the chatroom that I felt that their make shift duo of CBs made it a game where the dreaded hoof ball would have been a good tactic to use had we have a player like Murphy on the books.

- Freddy. I appreciate Freddy and feel he gets a harsh amount of stick at times, but yesterday Lambert took way to long on his subs, and Freddy should have been first. He was very poor in the second half and like you say he gave away stupid free kicks, which ruins his work hard ethos.

I want Lambert to succeed here, but he is making mistakes now that cant be justified by not having the players for it.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2019 12:23]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

When you look at things objectively... on 12:19 - Jan 21 with 5289 viewschicoazul

When you look at things objectively... on 12:16 - Jan 21 by BlueBadger

Personally, I felt that Hurst should have gone after Middleboro at home. That's possibly the most abject Town performance I've seen since Bolton away in 2002. I felt that we would would probably go down after our failure to get anything much out of Reading and Bristol City at home. They were golden opportunities to close the gap and we blew them.

"Bolton....away.....2002"

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

When you look at things objectively... on 12:20 - Jan 21 with 5279 viewsGlasgowBlue

1. So long as Bolton, Reading and Rotherham keep losing we can stay up.

2. We can improve if the additions start to gel.

How quickly they need to gel depends on my answer to question 1.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

When you look at things objectively... on 12:20 - Jan 21 with 5269 viewsRobTheMonk

So many goals have been the result of really bad errors. Bart and Gerken probably have at least 10 between them which is shocking in itself.
When you look at things objectively... on 12:21 - Jan 21 with 5255 viewschicoazul

on 12:18 - Jan 21 by _

We won't have the wage budget for anything like what we currently have at all. It will have to be pretty much 15 or so new players unless there are clauses around wage cuts in case of relegation in the players' contracts. And quite a few guys are out of contract anyway, and Chambers and Ward for instance could be pretty confident of getting a good deal at a Championship club.

When you look at things objectively... on 12:22 - Jan 21 with 5241 viewschicoazul

When you look at things objectively... on 12:16 - Jan 21 by footers

Haha, murmuring, yes indeed. But we wouldnt have it any other way buh.

When you look at things objectively... on 12:27 - Jan 21 with 5185 viewsKieran_Knows

It was all over after the Bristol City game for me. Been telling myself ever since that we're down.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

When you look at things objectively... on 12:28 - Jan 21 with 5172 viewshoppy

When you look at things objectively... on 12:20 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

I'm hoping this will be the case... it's our only hope, I feel.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

When you look at things objectively... on 12:28 - Jan 21 with 5171 viewsKeaneish

We WILL beat Villa. It will happen.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

When you look at things objectively... on 12:28 - Jan 21 with 5173 viewsPJH

When you look at things objectively... on 12:20 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

Agree.

Whilst at least three other teams can still be caught I will continue to believe that we will accumulate enough points to stay up.
I was thinking that we need 10 wins out of the last 18 games but we might get away with even less than that.
Getting the 10 wins logically goes against everything that has gone before this season but I go in to each game thinking that that day will be the day.
I think we have the manager and players to survive, all we have to do now is actually do it.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2019 12:33]
When you look at things objectively... on 12:30 - Jan 21 with 5151 viewshoppy

When you look at things objectively... on 12:28 - Jan 21 by Keaneish

We WILL beat Villa. It will happen.

Which season?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

When you look at things objectively... on 12:30 - Jan 21 with 5153 viewsiamipswich

It was the same under McCarthy with regard to we had to score from the few chances we created.

Defensively there were silly errors under MM but nowhere near as many. We also had a goalkeeper in the form of his life for 2/3 seasons under Mick. Now we have Bart having a confidence crisis and Gerken who has done ok but nowhere near Bart of years gone by.

Agree with all that you say though. We are unfortunately, undeniably rubbish.

Poll: Who will return first?

on 12:32 - Jan 21 with 5137 views_

When you look at things objectively... on 12:21 - Jan 21 by chicoazul

We won't have the wage budget for anything like what we currently have at all. It will have to be pretty much 15 or so new players unless there are clauses around wage cuts in case of relegation in the players' contracts. And quite a few guys are out of contract anyway, and Chambers and Ward for instance could be pretty confident of getting a good deal at a Championship club.

When you look at things objectively... on 12:33 - Jan 21 with 5115 viewsEireannach_gorm

It is quite clear we now have a collection of individuals rather than a team. As you we had a perfectly good ( not great ) team which was dismantled. Producing a new functioning team under pressure is proving challenging. Unfortunately the timeframe to produce a workable team is too short now. It seems pretty obvious that we will be in League One by the time the turnaround happens but I will hang on to these for the moment........

When you look at things objectively... on 12:34 - Jan 21 with 5105 viewsSuperfrans

I agreed with the part of the Blue Monday podcast when you said this.

Fact is, we are screwed. It is hard to see how we are going to pull it back from here.

I also agree that we only need a couple of wins to change this and we will naturally continue to hope this is possible right to the end. But it is hard to see a team with three wins all season pulling a run like that out of the bag.

That said, the team will continue to think it is possible. I know we lost vs Blackburn, but imagine if we'd managed to sneak a win (which still looked possible with an hour gone) - we'd be sitting here just four points from safety and thinking it was totally on the cards.

But, objectively, taking off the blue tinted spectacles, there is very very little chance of this happening.

We should all start preparing for next season in League 1.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024