Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? 15:32 - Nov 30 with 8651 viewsclive_baker

Or has anyone?

Goes a little against my approach of working to live rather than living to work, as in why should I let work dictate where I want to live? BUT...we spend a lot of time at work don't we, and if the place also happens to be nice then there's an argument for it, right?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:40 - Nov 30 with 5693 viewsbluelagos

Have worked in a number of countries and different towns in the UK, always dictated by the job rather than the location. Meant significant uplift in salary as well as getting to experience new cultures / places.

All in, yeah, it's preferable to being tied to one place imho. And on the back of it, I can now afford to be way more choosy about where I live and what I do.

Where you thinking of going? What's stopping you?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:49 - Nov 30 with 5670 viewsIpswichKnight

I very nearly did move to Dublin for a job, got down to the final 2 for the job as fraud manager for a very well know Irish airline. As I was single and living mortgage free I would have most defiantly taken the job if offered. Now i'm married and with a small mortgage it is slightly more complicated. We have discussed it and my Wife is very happy to move to a EU country if I got offered a job ( she's a Teacher so wouldn't have too many difficulties getting a job either ) outside of the UK.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:56 - Nov 30 with 5661 viewsbluelagos

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:49 - Nov 30 by IpswichKnight

I very nearly did move to Dublin for a job, got down to the final 2 for the job as fraud manager for a very well know Irish airline. As I was single and living mortgage free I would have most defiantly taken the job if offered. Now i'm married and with a small mortgage it is slightly more complicated. We have discussed it and my Wife is very happy to move to a EU country if I got offered a job ( she's a Teacher so wouldn't have too many difficulties getting a job either ) outside of the UK.

Without wishing to derail the thread, your (and your Mrs) rights to work in the EU may be significantly reduced under the proposed Brexit deal...

People seem to forget the benefits freedom of movement give to us all 😩

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:58 - Nov 30 with 5642 viewsJ2BLUE

My dream job would involve working from home so I wouldn't need to. Trading shares or something.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:58 - Nov 30 with 5645 viewshampstead_blue

I don't understand why someone would NOT relocate?

Family, friends, 'home'. Well you can always go back and visit.

Restricting yourself to a small area around the above does mean you lose a huge amount of experiences.

I've never stayed for too long in one place. Loads to see, do, and learn.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:59 - Nov 30 with 5641 viewsKeno

I’d go wherever Penny Smith offers me a position

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:59 - Nov 30 with 5638 viewsIpswichKnight

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:56 - Nov 30 by bluelagos

Without wishing to derail the thread, your (and your Mrs) rights to work in the EU may be significantly reduced under the proposed Brexit deal...

People seem to forget the benefits freedom of movement give to us all 😩

Sadly we do know :(
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:03 - Nov 30 with 5627 viewshampstead_blue

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:40 - Nov 30 by bluelagos

Have worked in a number of countries and different towns in the UK, always dictated by the job rather than the location. Meant significant uplift in salary as well as getting to experience new cultures / places.

All in, yeah, it's preferable to being tied to one place imho. And on the back of it, I can now afford to be way more choosy about where I live and what I do.

In fact, the OP just reminded me I turned down a job in Bermuda as a Private Banker. I'd just got divorced, sold my business, and got custody of my two boys.

I stayed in the UK and deeply regret that one. Two or three years out there would have been a hoot for us all.

Hey Ho.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:05 - Nov 30 with 5620 viewschicoazul

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:58 - Nov 30 by J2BLUE

My dream job would involve working from home so I wouldn't need to. Trading shares or something.

Having worked at home for 2 years now my brother, there is good and bad to it. Like any job of course.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:08 - Nov 30 with 5604 viewsJ2BLUE

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:05 - Nov 30 by chicoazul

Having worked at home for 2 years now my brother, there is good and bad to it. Like any job of course.

Going to work in an office full of cretins each day is my worst nightmare. I just want to be free.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:10 - Nov 30 with 5594 viewskeighleyblue

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:59 - Nov 30 by IpswichKnight

Sadly we do know :(

why every fecker is not on the streets to get brexit overturned i do not know. And don't shove that 'democracy innit' crap on me.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:14 - Nov 30 with 5584 viewsKieran_Knows

I think I would do, I know there is places I could go to in Germany and Austria already within the line of work I do. I went to Germany a couple of years ago for a weekend away and absolutely loved it, could definitely see myself living there.

That said, me and the missus purchased our first home last year so it definitely wouldn't be any time soon - and perfectly honest I don't think I would want to leave Ipswich right now.

One thing I do regret is not going to live in a different country for a year or two when I was 18/19 and had no ties.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:17 - Nov 30 with 5575 viewsReuser_is_God

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:14 - Nov 30 by Kieran_Knows

I think I would do, I know there is places I could go to in Germany and Austria already within the line of work I do. I went to Germany a couple of years ago for a weekend away and absolutely loved it, could definitely see myself living there.

That said, me and the missus purchased our first home last year so it definitely wouldn't be any time soon - and perfectly honest I don't think I would want to leave Ipswich right now.

One thing I do regret is not going to live in a different country for a year or two when I was 18/19 and had no ties.

Drum & Monkey Australia.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:18 - Nov 30 with 5567 viewsKieran_Knows

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:17 - Nov 30 by Reuser_is_God

Drum & Monkey Australia.

Me and AB would co-own it.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:20 - Nov 30 with 5563 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I have relocated for work, but havent done so since I have had a family.... which makes it more difficult.

Only you can answer that question really. Is the potential location a desirable place to live?

Would you be happy there if you get made redundant in a years time?

How do the house prices compare?

It's certainly worth serious consideration.

....in the end, it will probably come down to gut feel.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:20 - Nov 30 with 5561 viewsstrikalite

Depends on the person I suppose, I'm quite happy knowing where I am and probably don't push myself into change too much, I don't like the unknown, I'm not a risk taker, I wish I was but I have good hours which for me is important..

I left a lot of mates behind when I moved at 17 many years ago, you make new friends through life but missed them hugely for a good while after I left..
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:21 - Nov 30 with 5559 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:58 - Nov 30 by hampstead_blue

Restricting yourself to a small area around the above does mean you lose a huge amount of experiences.

Childcare etc becomes much harder work and more expensive without family to help you out.

Speaking from experience.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:23 - Nov 30 with 5548 viewsAce_High1

Absolutely. Its one of my career/life objectives and will be something I want to do with my next move.

Australia or the US I would like to work in a major city for a few years and give it a go.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:24 - Nov 30 with 5540 viewsSarge

I’ve done it, I had a thread a few months back about it although thankfully my feelings have changed very much since posting that.

For me a dream job isn’t classed as work, it’s something you want to do so I wouldn’t hesitate.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:24 - Nov 30 with 5540 viewsTIB

I'd relocate for a worse job if the lifestyle outside of work was more to my taste i.e. Better weather, outdoor activities on my doorstep etc.

Mrs TIB was actually offered a job in The Cayman Islands two years back...we were all for it until we found out it was on Cayman Brac which essentially is a tiny island well away from the glitz and glamour of Grand Cayman and required multiple flights to get to it...with a dog + my mum being terminally ill with cancer it just didn't feel right. We still keep an eye out for jobs abroad...maybe one day Away Days can bring out "CPA"...Cayman Pale Ale

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:30 - Nov 30 with 5507 viewsclive_baker

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:40 - Nov 30 by bluelagos

You're more adventurous than me. I'm a bit of a home bird I think. Is it not hard starting again?

Having said that, I grew up in Suffolk and now I live in London, so I have moved. This job is elsewhere in England where I don't know a single person. It literally is my dream job, guess the only thing stopping me is I'm pretty settled as I am. Wife said she's up for it and she's a nurse so can kind of work anywhere, plus she's Irish so her family are over there so doesn't make much odds to her in that respect.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:33 - Nov 30 with 5489 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’ve only ever moved once when it wasn’t for work (or study before that).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:35 - Nov 30 with 5490 viewsitfcjoe

Without trying to overcomplicate it - mine would be roughly as follows

Inside the UK - would only move away from East of England if it was my absolute dream job. Don't really see the point in moving a long way from family but still being in UK for anything else

Outside the UK - would only go somewhere where English is the 1st language, or at least somewhere you can get by easily without needing to be good at the local language like Hong Kong as an example

I looked into HK with my then fiance now wife a few years back, got to stage of going out there a couple of times but in the end don't think it would have suite me

My wife worked abroad for a few years, I regret not having done so - if my family situation was different with Brexit I'd be extremely tempted to get out to somewhere like Cyprus as have family there and just live for a few years in sun and work there until children get to an age where schooling becomes more important and see where we are then

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:38 - Nov 30 with 5464 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Always,

"when you're finished changing, you're finished".
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:40 - Nov 30 with 5447 viewsmanchego

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:58 - Nov 30 by hampstead_blue

I'm very much with this.
We had 3 years in New York and a year in France. Unmissable experiences.

Staying in 1 place for a long time is misery to me. And a long time is about 8 years.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 16:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024