Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? 15:32 - Nov 30 with 8675 viewsclive_baker

Or has anyone?

Goes a little against my approach of working to live rather than living to work, as in why should I let work dictate where I want to live? BUT...we spend a lot of time at work don't we, and if the place also happens to be nice then there's an argument for it, right?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:42 - Nov 30 with 2150 viewsLord_Lucan

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:38 - Nov 30 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Always,

"when you're finished changing, you're finished".

That's not entirely true as some people have to think about wives and kids.

I quite fancied working in China but the kids were young and now that ship has probably sailed - and I am now a Grandude and have an ageing mother.

Anyway, I'm just glad you took my advice when you asked for my blessing to become a Yank.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:42 - Nov 30 with 2147 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:35 - Nov 30 by itfcjoe

Without trying to overcomplicate it - mine would be roughly as follows

Inside the UK - would only move away from East of England if it was my absolute dream job. Don't really see the point in moving a long way from family but still being in UK for anything else

Outside the UK - would only go somewhere where English is the 1st language, or at least somewhere you can get by easily without needing to be good at the local language like Hong Kong as an example

I looked into HK with my then fiance now wife a few years back, got to stage of going out there a couple of times but in the end don't think it would have suite me

My wife worked abroad for a few years, I regret not having done so - if my family situation was different with Brexit I'd be extremely tempted to get out to somewhere like Cyprus as have family there and just live for a few years in sun and work there until children get to an age where schooling becomes more important and see where we are then

You're supposed to challenge yourself, moving to a new city or country is a great way of doing it, if it doesn't work out you learn a lot a long the way.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:42 - Nov 30 with 2143 viewsmanchego

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:21 - Nov 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

Childcare etc becomes much harder work and more expensive without family to help you out.

Speaking from experience.

funny really but we have family around us at the moment and they are no help.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:44 - Nov 30 with 2143 viewsbluelagos

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:30 - Nov 30 by clive_baker

You're more adventurous than me. I'm a bit of a home bird I think. Is it not hard starting again?

Having said that, I grew up in Suffolk and now I live in London, so I have moved. This job is elsewhere in England where I don't know a single person. It literally is my dream job, guess the only thing stopping me is I'm pretty settled as I am. Wife said she's up for it and she's a nurse so can kind of work anywhere, plus she's Irish so her family are over there so doesn't make much odds to her in that respect.

You have moved once, so sure you can do it again. You'll always make new friends as you did in London.

Any big city will have lots of transient people who come and go. The only place I've not been straight into it is when living in small villages. Have found the small minded attitudes much less welcoming in my experience. (Got called an outsider just the other day :-) )

Only advice on job is I always looked at a job and said "What would be my next move after?". If it had an obvious next role then I was happy it was taking me forward.

If your wife is up for it, that's a big plus. And if you are moving out of London you can end up with a lot more house. Only downside is moving back can be difficult moneywise (when you are used to a big house)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:46 - Nov 30 with 2132 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:40 - Nov 30 by manchego

I'm very much with this.
We had 3 years in New York and a year in France. Unmissable experiences.

Staying in 1 place for a long time is misery to me. And a long time is about 8 years.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 16:41]

Agreed.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:48 - Nov 30 with 2128 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:42 - Nov 30 by Lord_Lucan

That's not entirely true as some people have to think about wives and kids.

I quite fancied working in China but the kids were young and now that ship has probably sailed - and I am now a Grandude and have an ageing mother.

Anyway, I'm just glad you took my advice when you asked for my blessing to become a Yank.

I assume its much harder if married with kids and over 40.

Only got a year left out here as it stands
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 16:48]
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:51 - Nov 30 with 2115 viewsitfcjoe

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:42 - Nov 30 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

You're supposed to challenge yourself, moving to a new city or country is a great way of doing it, if it doesn't work out you learn a lot a long the way.

It's not easy when working in the family business being prepped to take it on for 5 years and starting to get to that stage when it is happening and with 2 kids under 2 and all that that entails!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:51 - Nov 30 with 2114 viewsLord_Lucan

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:35 - Nov 30 by itfcjoe

Without trying to overcomplicate it - mine would be roughly as follows

Inside the UK - would only move away from East of England if it was my absolute dream job. Don't really see the point in moving a long way from family but still being in UK for anything else

Outside the UK - would only go somewhere where English is the 1st language, or at least somewhere you can get by easily without needing to be good at the local language like Hong Kong as an example

I looked into HK with my then fiance now wife a few years back, got to stage of going out there a couple of times but in the end don't think it would have suite me

My wife worked abroad for a few years, I regret not having done so - if my family situation was different with Brexit I'd be extremely tempted to get out to somewhere like Cyprus as have family there and just live for a few years in sun and work there until children get to an age where schooling becomes more important and see where we are then

Looking back it seems incredible that when I was at school it would have been a doddle to have got a good job in HK - seeing that we leased it at the time.

I can't believe I never considered it - well I can actually, I blame ITFC.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:54 - Nov 30 with 2105 viewsPinewoodblue

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:30 - Nov 30 by clive_baker

You're more adventurous than me. I'm a bit of a home bird I think. Is it not hard starting again?

Having said that, I grew up in Suffolk and now I live in London, so I have moved. This job is elsewhere in England where I don't know a single person. It literally is my dream job, guess the only thing stopping me is I'm pretty settled as I am. Wife said she's up for it and she's a nurse so can kind of work anywhere, plus she's Irish so her family are over there so doesn't make much odds to her in that respect.

There must be somewhere within your ideal commute journey time that you would be happy to live.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:54 - Nov 30 with 2103 viewsIllinoisblue

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:48 - Nov 30 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I assume its much harder if married with kids and over 40.

Only got a year left out here as it stands
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 16:48]

quick, marry a yank lass and become legit

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:56 - Nov 30 with 2101 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:44 - Nov 30 by bluelagos

You have moved once, so sure you can do it again. You'll always make new friends as you did in London.

Any big city will have lots of transient people who come and go. The only place I've not been straight into it is when living in small villages. Have found the small minded attitudes much less welcoming in my experience. (Got called an outsider just the other day :-) )

Only advice on job is I always looked at a job and said "What would be my next move after?". If it had an obvious next role then I was happy it was taking me forward.

If your wife is up for it, that's a big plus. And if you are moving out of London you can end up with a lot more house. Only downside is moving back can be difficult moneywise (when you are used to a big house)

The one thing with friends I think as you hit your early 30s they do become more set so to speak but it's always easy to make new ones. The good mates from wherever you grow up will always still be there and you can purge the ones you never really liked.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:58 - Nov 30 with 2090 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:54 - Nov 30 by Illinoisblue

quick, marry a yank lass and become legit

I'm in the process with my company for multinational executive green card but under this administration who knows
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 17:07 - Nov 30 with 2068 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:51 - Nov 30 by itfcjoe

It's not easy when working in the family business being prepped to take it on for 5 years and starting to get to that stage when it is happening and with 2 kids under 2 and all that that entails!

Excuses lol
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 17:09 - Nov 30 with 2062 viewsLord_Lucan

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:56 - Nov 30 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The one thing with friends I think as you hit your early 30s they do become more set so to speak but it's always easy to make new ones. The good mates from wherever you grow up will always still be there and you can purge the ones you never really liked.

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 17:10 - Nov 30 with 2059 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 17:09 - Nov 30 by Lord_Lucan

You were one of the first!

Congrats on the grandchild by the way, i didn't know.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 17:14 - Nov 30 with 2053 viewsDeano69

Not to a nightmare location.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 17:20 - Nov 30 with 2048 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 17:14 - Nov 30 by Deano69

Not to a nightmare location.

I done it the other way around once, I moved to a dream location but the market was rubbish so had to move back. Still fun though.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 19:11 - Nov 30 with 2000 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:58 - Nov 30 by J2BLUE

My dream job would involve working from home so I wouldn't need to. Trading shares or something.

Can't think of much worse than working from home. I'm by far not the most social person out there but I would still quickly get very bored and depressed not getting out of the house during the day and meeting new people etc.

Not for me Jeff.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 19:28 - Nov 30 with 1985 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 19:11 - Nov 30 by ThisIsMyUsername

Can't think of much worse than working from home. I'm by far not the most social person out there but I would still quickly get very bored and depressed not getting out of the house during the day and meeting new people etc.

Not for me Jeff.

I'd like to do it one day a week but I can't people to see, deals to do RFPs to win
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 19:32 - Nov 30 with 1978 viewsLord_Lucan

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 19:11 - Nov 30 by ThisIsMyUsername

Not for me Jeff.

It's very difficult to motivate yourself working from home, you tend to end up doing b@gger all and sitting around in your "Comfys"

RKDs best mates dad works from home but he gets up every morning and puts a suit on!

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 19:46 - Nov 30 with 1960 viewsSwansea_Blue

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 19:32 - Nov 30 by Lord_Lucan

It's very difficult to motivate yourself working from home, you tend to end up doing b@gger all and sitting around in your "Comfys"

RKDs best mates dad works from home but he gets up every morning and puts a suit on!

I went freelance for 18 months and hated it from a work perspective.

But it coincided with my eldest being a toddler, so in the end took him out of nursery for all but a couple of days a week, did enough work to just get by, and it was a superb time. We visited every park, beach, zoo, playground, attraction from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire.

I wouldn’t want to work alone from home full time though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 03:22 - Dec 1 with 1894 viewsitfcjoe

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:51 - Nov 30 by Lord_Lucan

Looking back it seems incredible that when I was at school it would have been a doddle to have got a good job in HK - seeing that we leased it at the time.

I can't believe I never considered it - well I can actually, I blame ITFC.

People of my generation will say the same about the EU when they are your age

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 06:34 - Dec 1 with 1876 viewsTractorWood

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:03 - Nov 30 by hampstead_blue

In fact, the OP just reminded me I turned down a job in Bermuda as a Private Banker. I'd just got divorced, sold my business, and got custody of my two boys.

I stayed in the UK and deeply regret that one. Two or three years out there would have been a hoot for us all.

Hey Ho.

I work in finance and about 10 years ago was scouting around for a 2 year contract somewhere exotic, as like many other people have said, didn't have any financial responsibilities.

I was in theory keen for a role in Bermuda but when I investigated it, it appeared to be basically one of the most expensive places to live because it's a beautiful tax haven with some infrastructure. I remember doing some rough calculations and after the salary uplift but paying a huge amount to rent a house and things like the internet being $100pcm, it made little sense. Just trying to comfort you, that it might not have been a huge mistake. Jobs in the Caribbean in finance seem reasonably plentiful as there's a perception that the reality doesn't match the dream.

The jobs in very desirable places to experience like the US, Canada and Japan seem very few and far between. Probably because in my experience, any really sweet gig will more often than not be hoovered up by internal secondments or if the company have a base there, they may try to find someone local who they don't have to pay relocation expenses to.

It's a topic that really interests me but I've been lucky enough to travel to Asia a bit with work, which is what I've always wanted to do.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 07:07 - Dec 1 with 1871 viewsconnorscontract

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 15:59 - Nov 30 by Keno

I’d go wherever Penny Smith offers me a position

If she offered you a missionary position, would you go to the Sentinel Islands?
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 07:12 - Dec 1 with 1868 viewstextbackup

Not a chance. My mates, my team, my life is in and around Ipswich.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024