Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Before Hurst was appointed 19:32 - Oct 3 with 9453 viewstextbackup

Who on here was calling for him, and what are your thoughts on it all?
(In no way a dig, just wondering how you guys now view it)
Remember ther being a few that were really bigging him up, genuinely can’t recall who tho

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Before Hurst was appointed on 07:52 - Oct 4 with 3037 viewsCurrie10

I desperately wanted Hurst or Clark

Hursts record was outstanding so I was delighted

As soon as he started slating everything within 5 minutes...
Lower league signings...
Selling quality....
Paul Jewell loan strategy....

I was concerned
Before Hurst was appointed on 08:05 - Oct 4 with 3034 viewsmaccyd9

I didn't want Hurst prior to his appointment and unfortunately nothing has changed my opinion.
Before Hurst was appointed on 08:49 - Oct 4 with 3010 viewsLankHenners

Like most people I was smitten by Ross when we all starting digging up interviews and messages on the St. Mirren forums. Before we knew about him I thought Hurst seemed like as close to perfect a replacement - the 'young, up and coming' manager everyone (including Evans) wanted, knew how to work on a tight budget and had experience in competing against the odds.

As Illy said above though, I wasn't anticipating the stripping of the already solid squad for a load of untested players (many of whom signed quite late and not in enough time to have any sort of meaningful time training together) whilst having our young players either sent on loan or relegated back to the u23s.

I honestly think if Evans hadn't got the 'young, up and coming' bit in his head he'd have appointed Warburton much earlier and we'd be in a much, much better place right now.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Before Hurst was appointed on 08:56 - Oct 4 with 3001 viewstextbackup

Before Hurst was appointed on 07:52 - Oct 4 by Currie10

I desperately wanted Hurst or Clark

Hursts record was outstanding so I was delighted

As soon as he started slating everything within 5 minutes...
Lower league signings...
Selling quality....
Paul Jewell loan strategy....

I was concerned

The only way he was going to be able to buy was the sell, kind of see his thinking. And Webster Waghorn didn’t want to stay, so pointless keeping them really

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Before Hurst was appointed on 09:11 - Oct 4 with 2992 viewsCoastalblue

I wanted Warburton, and following his interview would have been willing to back Shefki but was perfectly happy with Hurst.

I knew next to nothing about him, not sure I ever saw Shrewsbury under him but what I had read both on here and elsewhere made him sound a good fit albeit a bit more pragmatic than I would have chosen.

I still have hopes he can turn this around, but my head is telling me I'm a fool and when I leave games I struggle to reconcile the rubbish I have watched, and let's be honest it really has been complete garbage for what? 75-80% of our time on the pitch?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Before Hurst was appointed on 09:25 - Oct 4 with 2985 viewsLord_Lucan

I had never heard of Jack Ross until he was a runner and I immediately fell in love with him in a slightly worrying way, I even wore a tank top.

I never wanted Hurst and I will be glad when he's gone. Goodbye Paul.

Actually I was also quite keen on Scott Parker and wait for it......Shefki Kuqi.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Before Hurst was appointed on 09:37 - Oct 4 with 2971 viewssoupytwist

I had heard reports of Shrewsbury doing well last season in League One, punching well above their weight, so thought that their manager should be someone worth looking at. So, when we got him I thought that he was just what we needed.

When Jack Ross came into the frame I thought he sounded really good too. I would have been happy with Warburton and if Hurst goes would still be.

I would also have been happy with Mowbray but thought it unlikely he would come back.
Before Hurst was appointed on 09:43 - Oct 4 with 2959 viewsITFC_Forever

Before Hurst was appointed on 07:36 - Oct 4 by Moisha

If we were going the lower league route it was Nathan Jones from Luton for me.

Was happy with either Ross or Hurst, not getting the early win has done for confidence and resorted to desperation.

I too wanted Jones, but didn't he sign a bumper new contract and Luton then set his compensation payment at a level far higher than ME would pay?

After him, I also liked the idea of Ross, while he was also unproven, the style of his sides play and the attacking intent they clearly showed at St Mirren was good.

Hurst also seemed like a good option, but without the style.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

You were besotted on 09:45 - Oct 4 with 2955 viewsDyland

Before Hurst was appointed on 09:25 - Oct 4 by Lord_Lucan

I had never heard of Jack Ross until he was a runner and I immediately fell in love with him in a slightly worrying way, I even wore a tank top.

I never wanted Hurst and I will be glad when he's gone. Goodbye Paul.

Actually I was also quite keen on Scott Parker and wait for it......Shefki Kuqi.

When it didn't happen I was half expecting you to do yourself an injury :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I knew nothing about him on 09:52 - Oct 4 with 2943 viewsDyland

I was excited at the gamble, which is what it was/is. It's not going very well is it. So many footie fans are unrealistic though.

I'm not suggesting we should blindly stick with Hurst but every single moment/game is taken only in the context of our dreadful start by the more vociferous dummy spitting fans. E.g. Boro are stronger, richer, and far more experienced, and the result on Tuesday wasn't so surprising. The worry is a lack of final ball, and no depth in the squad. Create loads and duff up shooting = can usually rectify/evens itself out. Create little because you simply lack quality = relegation. Especially when you concede ridiculous goals/possession.

I like the "idea" of Hurst. The reality is in front of us of course. But I think he needs more time, at least until November/December. This is the conundrum. How long do you give it?

On another note, booing and jeering fannies who've "paid their hard earned cash" may be better off at the wrestling.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Before Hurst was appointed on 09:55 - Oct 4 with 2938 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

I was happy enough with him, as I would have been with Ross. But I wanted Gerrard, Warburton or Mowbray as my top 3. Still hoping we can get Warburton to save us this season.
Before Hurst was appointed on 10:00 - Oct 4 with 2926 viewsunstableblue

Jack Ross was my preferred... because I though his training methods and pass/attack ethos would be better suited to getting the fans back on board after 2 seasons of turgid football.

I was worried Hurst would be too defensive.

I had warmed to Hurst because he’s tried to tackle the Ipswich disease of being scared on the ball, going long and not being dynamic and energetic.

Sadly the wheels have fallen as players just don’t seem able to play consistently. And I think Hursts approach of flooding the box when breaking has just not gelled.

I’d give him the QPR and Millwall games to show he can do it, because I like some of the players he’s brought in and some of the passing.

Not happy about Donacien being left out, or Walters and Graham taking up much needed wage bill😬.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Before Hurst was appointed on 10:02 - Oct 4 with 2929 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:23 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

I wanted him here and was one of the few who felt he was a better bet than Ross for two main reasons. Firstly, he'd done an excellent job in the English leagues so had a better track record. Secondly, I thought he'd represent evolution rather than revolution which I thought was what we needed. A lot of people wanted a revolution, we ended up getting one (a little unexpectedly) and it's all gone wrong.

I'm on the fence currently, there are still glimmers that it could turn around and he's only about 15 weeks in so it'd be a very, very early sacking. I don't want us to be that kind of club. On the other hand I genuinely worry he might not be up to it right now and the job is too big for him.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 20:53]

Completely agree with this.

Seemed the obvious choice at the time... and still does (to a degree). He was League 1 manager of the year last year in a season where Wigan & Blackburn dominated so he clearly has a lot about him and had earned his shot at Championship football.

The 'revolution' has been the biggest surprise as I think Hurst perhaps got a little too greedy/impatient in trying to sign his targets that he was too willing to sell off any profitable assets to make that happen.
Before Hurst was appointed on 10:04 - Oct 4 with 2923 viewsNo9

I knew absolutely nothing about PH before he was linked with the Town job.
My only concerns were that he didn't seem to bothered about Shrewsbury & the fact they lost at Wembley, after that I wouldn't have hired him
Before Hurst was appointed on 10:07 - Oct 4 with 2915 viewscaught-in-limbo

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:52 - Oct 3 by strikalite

Most of us were happy with Hurst, he ticked all our boxes, lower League Manager who had a small Club playing decent stuff and virtually top of the league throughout the season, that was enough for most of us...

Watched Shrews at Peterborough last season and they looked damn good, organized and you could see why they were top of the League, hey, what was not to like?

Think this was the view of the vast majority I guess, so it seems premature to talk about shipping him out so soon.

ME doesn't have a strong track record of curtailing managers' contracts, so as dire as the football is, I think we should all be trying to will him to succeed rather than willing ME to replace him.

If he fails - and I'm still hopeful that he won't - I'll be willing Evans to go with him.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Before Hurst was appointed on 10:07 - Oct 4 with 2914 viewssimoitfc

was happy with hurst

wanted ross or lampard
Before Hurst was appointed on 10:10 - Oct 4 with 2901 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:17 - Oct 3 by Illinoisblue

the caveat though, of course, is not knowing at the time that we'd lose all our best players. Surprisingly, replacing Championship-quality players with up and comers from League 1 and 2 hasn't worked too well

we did rely on Loan last season (all better than this yrs loanees) and ditching the front 4 from last year is too much to replace.
Before Hurst was appointed on 10:16 - Oct 4 with 2882 viewsDA22A

I was happy with him. He is still probably the right type of manager, but the players we've signed are not good enough and we've let our few quality players go. It's not a good situation at the moment :(
Before Hurst was appointed on 12:56 - Oct 4 with 2810 viewsgt81

Before Hurst was appointed on 07:11 - Oct 4 by Northern_Blue81

IF Evans wanted Lampard he should have bloody well paid for his services and given him the money he wanted.

On that basis you assume Hurst asked for no budget and a much lower salary.

Pay peanuts get Hurst's.

Blimey.

I saved this from the Wikipedia entry for Hurst:

Ipswich Town

On 30 May 2018, Hurst was announced as manager of Ipswich Town. Hurst and his assistant Chris Doig signed three-year contracts. Upon his appointment, Hurst was keen to stress that he could work within Ipswich's £3m transfer budget as outlined in the owner’s five point plan, and the club’s wage bill which is the 6th lowest in the English Championship.
Before Hurst was appointed on 13:00 - Oct 4 with 2807 viewsdalianwasexciting

Before Hurst was appointed on 12:56 - Oct 4 by gt81

I saved this from the Wikipedia entry for Hurst:

Ipswich Town

On 30 May 2018, Hurst was announced as manager of Ipswich Town. Hurst and his assistant Chris Doig signed three-year contracts. Upon his appointment, Hurst was keen to stress that he could work within Ipswich's £3m transfer budget as outlined in the owner’s five point plan, and the club’s wage bill which is the 6th lowest in the English Championship.

The key driver for me was someone forward thinking who would give youth a chance and make some good recruitment along with football that gave some attacking flair unlike MM. So Jack Ross did fit the bill and Hurst was on the list of people who I thought would equally do so, so I was not disappointed. Much as I was actually pleased to see both Jewell and McCarthy at their respective appointments. But it is the actual delivery that shapes what we feel about those managers. The only one which filled me with dread was Roy Keane - which was clearly a chance for Marcus to get his name on Sky Sports 24/7.

Poll: Our number one goalkeeper going forward?

Before Hurst was appointed on 13:45 - Oct 4 with 2772 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

nope didn't want him or Ross. Burley and Butcher for me and hopefully we are not far off that happening. I would have liked Steijn too, I think he would have been a good appointment.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Before Hurst was appointed on 14:16 - Oct 4 with 2756 viewsagentp

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:35 - Oct 3 by jeera

We were sold a pup.

Although I've never quite understood that saying 'cos I really like dogs.

But there you go.

Ah, that's the point. You wanted something exciting. Something to chase balls. What you got was a baby seal, cos what you got was a pup.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Before Hurst was appointed on 14:20 - Oct 4 with 2752 viewsreusersfreekicks

Before Hurst was appointed on 13:45 - Oct 4 by Jonnosdreadlocks

nope didn't want him or Ross. Burley and Butcher for me and hopefully we are not far off that happening. I would have liked Steijn too, I think he would have been a good appointment.

Why stop at Burley and Butcher? Let's get the whole UEFA cup winning team (or was Burley missing through injury?) and their relatives on the coaching staff. Recent work and success not an issue
Before Hurst was appointed on 20:00 - Oct 4 with 2707 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Before Hurst was appointed on 14:20 - Oct 4 by reusersfreekicks

Why stop at Burley and Butcher? Let's get the whole UEFA cup winning team (or was Burley missing through injury?) and their relatives on the coaching staff. Recent work and success not an issue

You are being silly. Main reasons for GB/TB:
1 Both know club and reconnect with fans which is what was needed after MM.
2 GB has worked previously successfully with Klug so knows academy and its importance.
3 Neither would want a large salary

Right now I think those are as good as any reasons. All appointments have risk. I have seen people on here say they are too old' FFS what has age got to do with it? Our 'Hungry, Young Manager' has hardly been a success has he? I never understood the trend for this type of manager, clearlty Evans bought into it to and jumped on the bandwagon by appointing PH. Age is insignificant.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Before Hurst was appointed on 22:42 - Oct 4 with 2659 viewsVic

I was initially very excited by Ross but came to the opinion that Hurst's knowledge of the players in the lower English leagues probably made him the better option of the two. I was in no way disappointed when we appointed him.

I still like what he says - but am very disappointed with the execution. I still really hope it works out, but I can't say that I expect it to.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024