Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football firm 14:02 - Aug 22 with 45432 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

Have Ipswich ever had a reputable football firm? what was it called? when were they about?

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

Football firm on 14:23 - Aug 22 with 16378 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC used to always hold their own and go toe to toe with most teams.

I'm too young for it all, but when I've been away with England, most (ex?) hooligans I've spoken to from around the country always had a lot of respect for Ipswich

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Football firm on 14:23 - Aug 22 with 16376 viewsclive_baker

Most clubs have had a firm of some sort, of varying size and notoriety. I believe Ipswich had a firm called IPS at one stage, standing for Ipswich Punishment Squad. Without naming names there were some loony people associated with that, who got kicks out of travelling to where Ipswich were playing and fighting locals. I wouldn't associate them with the football club myself, in the same way I wouldn't associate other 'firms' with their supposed clubs. As with all clubs, I believe the majority of fans are good people, but there are always some choppers.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Football firm on 14:24 - Aug 22 with 16363 viewsskyblue23

Football firm on 14:20 - Aug 22 by LeagueOne

Backtrackers hah! Classic.

Nobody has back tracked if you actually read what I've wrote. Just making stuff up like saying I've back tracked doesn't make you the 'winner' of an argument. I can make stuff up too.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Football firm on 14:24 - Aug 22 with 16360 viewsKeno

Football firm on 14:19 - Aug 22 by BlueBadger

I understand you're quite 'firm' if you think too long about Penny Smith.

seconds mate, just seconds

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The "Jacamo Brigade"? (n/t) on 14:25 - Aug 22 with 16350 viewsBloots

Football firm on 14:09 - Aug 22 by LeagueOne

Above average IQ = pansies according to the Jacamo brigade.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Football firm on 14:25 - Aug 22 with 16351 viewsAshFinland

Football firm on 14:19 - Aug 22 by skyblue23

Clearly not supporting pro football violence. The guy asked if there has ever been a firm and when they were around? He didn't write 'Anybody know of any Ipswich firms I can join as I want to cave some heads in'. You've kicked off over a question.

The fact that the original poster went on to describe our fans as "pansies who run from a fight" certainly gives the impression that he is pro-football violence, irrespective of his thoughts on the subject. This is a message board and we can only really go on what people write.

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of."

Football firm on 14:27 - Aug 22 with 16331 viewsBlueBadger

Football firm on 14:19 - Aug 22 by skyblue23

Clearly not supporting pro football violence. The guy asked if there has ever been a firm and when they were around? He didn't write 'Anybody know of any Ipswich firms I can join as I want to cave some heads in'. You've kicked off over a question.

He'd had more cred running with this line had he not starting down voting everyone mocking Top Lads for the pathetic simpletons that they are.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Football firm on 14:27 - Aug 22 with 16338 viewsskyblue23

itfcjoe and clive_baker seemed to understand the question and they've answered. Fairly simple really.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Login to get fewer ads

Football firm on 14:28 - Aug 22 with 16328 viewsskyblue23

Football firm on 14:27 - Aug 22 by BlueBadger

He'd had more cred running with this line had he not starting down voting everyone mocking Top Lads for the pathetic simpletons that they are.

I haven't down voted a single person?

Football firm on 14:29 - Aug 22 with 16321 viewsKeno

Football firm on 14:27 - Aug 22 by skyblue23

itfcjoe and clive_baker seemed to understand the question and they've answered. Fairly simple really.

sorry but its a but harsh to call itfcjoe and clive_baker fairly simple

they are two of the more thoughtful posters

Football firm on 14:30 - Aug 22 with 16303 viewsBlueBadger

Football firm on 14:28 - Aug 22 by skyblue23

I haven't down voted a single person?

'had he'. Not 'had you'.

Unless you've just outed a spare account there...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Football firm on 14:30 - Aug 22 with 16309 viewsJ2BLUE

Football firm on 14:07 - Aug 22 by SimonCleggsNeck

My point still stands. If there ever was some bother we would be the first to evacuate the area. Nothing wrong with that just trying to collect the facts.

I read a book about firms (it was a free download on Amazon, I wouldn't financially support it) and it had multiple sections where people involved with various firms sent in their stories. I was expecting lots of bravado about taking 20 men on at once single handedly and giving them a good kicking etc but it all seemed surprisingly honest.

The story that came up most was how if they were outnumbered they would just stand a hundred or so yards away posturing until more of their lot turned up and they had the advantage so they would 'steam in'. They generally seemed quite proud of this.

Other stories were the pointless and mindless vandalism of pubs, cars and coaches. Apparently smashing all the windows of a pub whose owner has been serving you drinks for hours is something of a win.

My favourite story (for sheer stupidity) was about West Ham fans on the tube. Can't remember if they were the aggressors or the victims but one set of fans got pelted with coins, screws, marbles, bolts etc. If the definition of hard is throwing random shrapnel at people then i'll opt out thanks. I'd be more concerned about taking some poor bastard's eye out.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Football firm on 14:33 - Aug 22 with 16284 viewsskyblue23

Football firm on 14:30 - Aug 22 by BlueBadger

'had he'. Not 'had you'.

Unless you've just outed a spare account there...

No mate, I'm ITFCsteward not simoncleggsneck..

(Thats a joke by the way haha)
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 14:33]

Football firm on 14:37 - Aug 22 with 16265 viewsjontysnut

Football firm on 14:23 - Aug 22 by itfcjoe

I'm too young for it all, but when I've been away with England, most (ex?) hooligans I've spoken to from around the country always had a lot of respect for Ipswich

Without going all Danny Dyer I do remember some proper ' hard nuts'. Not linked to a 'firm' and not wannabes but certainly not backwards in coming forwards if it started off.
Football firm on 14:48 - Aug 22 with 16200 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

Football firm on 14:23 - Aug 22 by clive_baker

Most clubs have had a firm of some sort, of varying size and notoriety. I believe Ipswich had a firm called IPS at one stage, standing for Ipswich Punishment Squad. Without naming names there were some loony people associated with that, who got kicks out of travelling to where Ipswich were playing and fighting locals. I wouldn't associate them with the football club myself, in the same way I wouldn't associate other 'firms' with their supposed clubs. As with all clubs, I believe the majority of fans are good people, but there are always some choppers.

Oh really never heard that before. Was this in the 90s then?
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 14:52]

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

Football firm on 14:53 - Aug 22 with 16191 viewsmaccyd9

Ipswich like all clubs have a lot of lads that generally go around together in smaller groups but come together for an "outing" once or twice a season.

I'm nearly 40 and it was my old man's era that had a bit of a rep. Obviously TS had a nationwide reputation but a lot of others around him were pretty crazy at times. G & P C, IW and the likes.

In the year we got relegated from the Prem 18 years ago there was a lot trouble that season with Everton in the Cock n Pye, West Ham up at Cricketers and Man City (think that was the season before) by the Falcon. Pompey a season or two later was really naughty as well.

What I will disagree with is the notion that people that get caught up in stuff are not real fans. The two are totally separate. Some of the biggest Town fans I know are lads that are not backward in coming forward if something is happening but wouldn't actively be looking for it.
Football firm on 14:55 - Aug 22 with 16167 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

Football firm on 14:20 - Aug 22 by LeagueOne

Backtrackers hah! Classic.

In regards to someone who has a username called 'LeagueOne' (pessimistic to the clubs future). I don't think your opinion should qualify.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 14:55]

Football firm on 14:59 - Aug 22 with 16142 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

Football firm on 14:53 - Aug 22 by maccyd9

Ipswich like all clubs have a lot of lads that generally go around together in smaller groups but come together for an "outing" once or twice a season.

I'm nearly 40 and it was my old man's era that had a bit of a rep. Obviously TS had a nationwide reputation but a lot of others around him were pretty crazy at times. G & P C, IW and the likes.

In the year we got relegated from the Prem 18 years ago there was a lot trouble that season with Everton in the Cock n Pye, West Ham up at Cricketers and Man City (think that was the season before) by the Falcon. Pompey a season or two later was really naughty as well.

What I will disagree with is the notion that people that get caught up in stuff are not real fans. The two are totally separate. Some of the biggest Town fans I know are lads that are not backward in coming forward if something is happening but wouldn't actively be looking for it.

An actual informative answer. Thank you. Sounds like a very different era to now!

Football firm on 15:13 - Aug 22 with 16108 viewsChiefXL

Football firm on 14:23 - Aug 22 by itfcjoe

This is true.
The 70s was the heyday, when the North Stand wasn't segregated but was the designated away stand. So a small section of Town fans would set camp in the middle and just fight.

Fortunately we're a bit more enlightened now.
Football firm on 15:22 - Aug 22 with 16051 viewsnoggin

Football firm on 14:14 - Aug 22 by SimonCleggsNeck

Escaping behind the idea that we have higher IQ's and we are more grown up doesn't back up the point that we could handle ourselves. I understand our club has never been about that and that is fine but there's no need to get upset by it, it can be something to be proud of.

Why did you say we are «pansies»?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Football firm on 15:25 - Aug 22 with 16036 viewsKeno

Football firm on 15:13 - Aug 22 by ChiefXL

This is true.
The 70s was the heyday, when the North Stand wasn't segregated but was the designated away stand. So a small section of Town fans would set camp in the middle and just fight.

Fortunately we're a bit more enlightened now.

the North Stand could be 'fun' in those days!!!

I remember an evening match vs Arsenal about 75 that was 'interesting' to say the least

Those were the days

Football firm on 15:27 - Aug 22 with 16020 viewsnoggin

Football firm on 15:22 - Aug 22 by noggin

Why did you say we are «pansies»?

I would say, a «pansie» is someone who mouths off & goes looking for a fight while in a gang, then goes all quiet when his mates have gone home. Agree?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Football firm on 15:28 - Aug 22 with 16016 viewsChiefXL

Football firm on 15:25 - Aug 22 by Keno

the North Stand could be 'fun' in those days!!!

I remember an evening match vs Arsenal about 75 that was 'interesting' to say the least

Those were the days

Yeah I grew up with all the stories.
Can't say it ever appealed to me.

I'm too much of a snowflake.
Football firm on 15:55 - Aug 22 with 15908 viewsKeno

Football firm on 15:28 - Aug 22 by ChiefXL

Yeah I grew up with all the stories.
Can't say it ever appealed to me.

I'm too much of a snowflake.

Didn't have you down as a simpering bedwetter!

I didn't get involved in anything, far too much of a wimp but there was strange mix of frightening and exciting both at the same time

Football firm on 16:01 - Aug 22 with 15881 viewsgainsboroughblue

It's fair to say when hooliganism is mentioned, Ipswich doesn't readily appear on the radar when clubs followings are mentioned.

I've no idea what goes on nowadays but in the past, Town have had groups of lads rather than one big organised firm who have clubbed together for one or two away days a year.

A few such as West Ham, Villa, Pompey have had a surprise when they've come down here expecting easy pickings and after the infamous Millwall 95-96 match, there were more than a few Millwall lads put on their backsides in the car park when the main story was the seat throwing inside at the final whistle.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024