Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football firm 14:02 - Aug 22 with 45462 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

Have Ipswich ever had a reputable football firm? what was it called? when were they about?

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

Football firm on 21:59 - Aug 22 with 6766 viewsxrayspecs

Football firm on 21:34 - Aug 22 by Reuser_is_God

Enlighten us then...

Please do.

Will happily add Man U to the 70/80s hoolie list. And Milwall and Chelsea too. There will be others but you get my point.

IPS and Spanners were still very small beer in comparison.

1980s - it was a few non-Town supporting faces from Colchester and Chelmsford that created most of the Town aggro - very small scale compared to other clubs.
Football firm on 22:07 - Aug 22 with 6743 viewsMugwump

Football firm on 21:59 - Aug 22 by xrayspecs

Please do.

Will happily add Man U to the 70/80s hoolie list. And Milwall and Chelsea too. There will be others but you get my point.

IPS and Spanners were still very small beer in comparison.

1980s - it was a few non-Town supporting faces from Colchester and Chelmsford that created most of the Town aggro - very small scale compared to other clubs.

Your comments about Colchester - and to a large extent Chelmsford are absolute nonsense. Witham and Braintree had a better influence and that was minimal - although strong ties!

See my earlier post at the bottom of the previous page. That's it for me on this as you are arguing about something you don't have a clue about and I don't need to justify myself.
Football firm on 22:19 - Aug 22 with 6706 viewsITFC_Forever

Football firm on 20:05 - Aug 22 by ACP84

Millwall - 95/96.

Christ alive what a harrowing day.

First we missed out on the playoffs (Scowie hit the bar down Churchmans if memory serves) and secondly we sent Millwall down.

I was10/11 at the time and my old man and I were waking back to the car when some random Millwall prick swung a fist at my dad, he leant back, missed the guys fist by the width of a beer mat then laid him out cold with a single punch.

Scary thing was, never seen my dad react like that to anything before or since, legend!

Close. Scowcroft hit the post at the North Stand end.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Football firm on 22:21 - Aug 22 with 6704 viewsfloridablue

I remember very well a lot of the football violence that took place between Town fans and West ham in 1970. Three Hammers ended up being stabbed, one in the North Stand and the other two after the game at the Baths Hall night club on St Matthews street. All three involved were good friends of mine and served their time for the offences.
Football firm on 22:24 - Aug 22 with 6691 viewsNazemariner

If you swing a punch at me I’ll come back at you like a whirling dervish, otherwise I’ll try my best to avoid trouble like any respectable adult should do.
Football firm on 22:26 - Aug 22 with 6686 viewsxrayspecs

Football firm on 22:07 - Aug 22 by Mugwump

Your comments about Colchester - and to a large extent Chelmsford are absolute nonsense. Witham and Braintree had a better influence and that was minimal - although strong ties!

See my earlier post at the bottom of the previous page. That's it for me on this as you are arguing about something you don't have a clue about and I don't need to justify myself.

Ok, we can argue about whether they lived in Witham and Braintree or hung out in Colchester and Chelmsford, the point being that they were not Town fans, who traveled to PR in the 1980s.

Lived through it, just saying.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 22:27]
Football firm on 23:59 - Aug 22 with 6545 viewsbluejake78

Football firm on 22:26 - Aug 22 by xrayspecs

Ok, we can argue about whether they lived in Witham and Braintree or hung out in Colchester and Chelmsford, the point being that they were not Town fans, who traveled to PR in the 1980s.

Lived through it, just saying.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 22:27]

I was a North Stand nutter 40 years ago
Football firm on 00:14 - Aug 23 with 6521 viewsgobs93

I heard from a friend a few years a go that in the SBR lower, theres a small group who call themselves the 'Section 6 Ultras'. Hilarious.
Login to get fewer ads

Football firm on 01:04 - Aug 23 with 6454 viewswitchdoctor

Football firm on 22:19 - Aug 22 by ITFC_Forever

Close. Scowcroft hit the post at the North Stand end.

indeed...the beggining of the cursed left post era...
[Post edited 23 Aug 2018 1:05]
Football firm on 04:49 - Aug 23 with 6387 viewsBenters2

Football firm on 14:27 - Aug 22 by BlueBadger

He'd had more cred running with this line had he not starting down voting everyone mocking Top Lads for the pathetic simpletons that they are.

Every time there is a thread about this kind of thing there you are giving it Billy Big Bolox

Fancy a pint in Mannings at the Norwich game?

Are you this great in real life ?

Getting back to the opening thread years ago there was a group of let’s call them blokes and not lads just to please you,who traveled to most of the away games in a minibus from Bentley and they have some proper stories about what they got up to,I am going back to the 70’s here.

Now I think they average away day town supporter just wants to get on the lash,and have a day out.

TGM

TN
Football firm on 05:06 - Aug 23 with 6383 viewscrunchie1978

Ask a simple question then the t##t brigade come out in force!
Football firm on 05:08 - Aug 23 with 6375 viewsBenters2

Football firm on 05:06 - Aug 23 by crunchie1978

Ask a simple question then the t##t brigade come out in force!

Sorry about that!
Football firm on 16:33 - Oct 9 with 4516 viewsFuturist8283

Football firm on 16:50 - Aug 22 by ghostofescobar

Was there a bunch called the Ipswich Spanners in the 90's, or have I imagined that (and if I have imagined that, what an odd thing to imagine)

You;re right, they were a big group of 100-150 but the season they were active was 85/86 and especially 86/87. After a fairly big riot at PR against Portsmouth's 657 crew in February 87, a lot of the Spanners were jailed or given community service, the trial was September 87. There was also a big fight at Cambridge in the League Cup in October 86.

There was also the IVG around the same time and after 87-89. Smaller and less well known group which was one that emerged out of the Spanners. I dont know what the initials stood for but it was known around town
Football firm on 16:59 - Oct 9 with 4475 viewsjayessess

Football firm on 16:33 - Oct 9 by Futurist8283

You;re right, they were a big group of 100-150 but the season they were active was 85/86 and especially 86/87. After a fairly big riot at PR against Portsmouth's 657 crew in February 87, a lot of the Spanners were jailed or given community service, the trial was September 87. There was also a big fight at Cambridge in the League Cup in October 86.

There was also the IVG around the same time and after 87-89. Smaller and less well known group which was one that emerged out of the Spanners. I dont know what the initials stood for but it was known around town

"The spanners" is a terrible name.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Football firm on 17:04 - Oct 9 with 4466 viewsSpruceMoose

Football firm on 05:08 - Aug 23 by Benters2

Sorry about that!

Aw Bless. I remember when Benters was a thing!

Nice little trip down memory lane.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Football firm on 17:14 - Oct 9 with 4444 viewsb1079blue

A family member now retired likes telling stories of driving a Luton van full of his mates in the seventies to away games and inviting away fans to help unload the sofa in the back at which time they would have an energetic discussion on football matters.
Different times.
Football firm on 17:51 - Oct 9 with 4394 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Football firm on 16:52 - Aug 22 by Bueller

Same people who moan about flares being let off at the ground. Probabaly see the casual element as the 'firm'.

Flares? Or smoke cannisters?

Because Flares can kill people.
Football firm on 17:57 - Oct 9 with 4378 viewsDarth_Koont

ICF

Ipswich Closet Firm

Pronouns: He/Him

Football firm on 18:08 - Oct 9 with 4362 viewsSpruceMoose

Football firm on 17:57 - Oct 9 by Darth_Koont

ICF

Ipswich Closet Firm

ITFC - Ipswich Taxi Firm Chumps

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Football firm on 18:14 - Oct 9 with 4352 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Strange thread. Almost as though you think having fans that want a fight is a good thing. I take it you voted leave.
Football firm on 18:19 - Oct 9 with 4341 viewslongtimefan

Football firm on 19:21 - Aug 22 by sotd78

Try reading The Glory Game written by Ian Hunter- Davies. He spent time following Spurs fans in the 70s. There's a reference in that to them liking to come to Ipswich. It's too rude to write here.
From personal experience in the so called hooligan years ITFC would struggle to deal with the likes of Chelsea etc. Having said that rare invasions of Churchmans were met with an occasional decent agricultural thumping.

“Having said that rare invasions of Churchmans were met with an occasional decent agricultural thumping.”

I remember a few occasions when fairly large numbers of away supporters got into Churchman's in the 70s and 80s. I got thumped by both West Ham and Norwich while trying to get out of it. Don’t recall much in the way of resistance from the locals on any of these occasions
Football firm on 18:57 - Oct 9 with 4291 viewsgtsb1966

I got caught up in a few encounters over the years. In the 70's Town had a sizeable hooligan element. These weren't organised but would come together on match days. Chelmsford away in the FA cup drew Town fans with a lot of West Ham fans and there was a lot of trouble. When hooliganism became a lot more organised in the 80's Town were never known for hooligans. We had our moments though and Liverpool in the league cup in the very early 80's was particularly vicious. West Ham at home a year later wasn't pretty either. Bristol City away a few years earlier, I think, was also a battle in which City fans acknowledge they were second best. Not glorifying it but just saying it as it was.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 19:13]
Football firm on 20:06 - Oct 9 with 4214 viewstextbackup

coooor, the first time since lockdown that I've actually missed football - reading through this and thinking about some great away days, and homes, with the chaps in the pub with the occasional buzz of what might follow.
wish I was 19 again

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Football firm on 20:24 - Oct 9 with 4185 viewsMillsey

Football firm on 19:21 - Aug 22 by sotd78

Try reading The Glory Game written by Ian Hunter- Davies. He spent time following Spurs fans in the 70s. There's a reference in that to them liking to come to Ipswich. It's too rude to write here.
From personal experience in the so called hooligan years ITFC would struggle to deal with the likes of Chelsea etc. Having said that rare invasions of Churchmans were met with an occasional decent agricultural thumping.

And Arsenal
Football firm on 20:24 - Oct 9 with 4184 viewsnoggin

Football firm on 18:57 - Oct 9 by gtsb1966

I got caught up in a few encounters over the years. In the 70's Town had a sizeable hooligan element. These weren't organised but would come together on match days. Chelmsford away in the FA cup drew Town fans with a lot of West Ham fans and there was a lot of trouble. When hooliganism became a lot more organised in the 80's Town were never known for hooligans. We had our moments though and Liverpool in the league cup in the very early 80's was particularly vicious. West Ham at home a year later wasn't pretty either. Bristol City away a few years earlier, I think, was also a battle in which City fans acknowledge they were second best. Not glorifying it but just saying it as it was.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2020 19:13]

Bristol a few weeks before we won the 2nd Div under Lyle was a bit noisy.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024