Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked 20:18 - May 7 with 13116 viewsitfcjoe

I think he fits with what Evans is after quite well, and has the Spurs links with Klug, Pleat etc.

I think he is harshly thought off because he is a bit of a nob really

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:18 - May 7 with 6371 viewsJ2BLUE

Agree

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:24 - May 7 with 6340 viewssoupytwist

My standard response to people promoting Sherwood as manager is to suggest they read the excellent assessment of his pros and cons on the QPR fansite Loft for Words.

It's here about one third of the way down the page -

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/44262/runners-and-
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:25 - May 7 with 6329 viewsSugito

Probably no one is surprised since he's linked with pretty much every job available at this level and has those Spurs links. But he's really not a great manager and certainly not someone we'd need right now. In my books he goes into category of top-5 god-please-no with Megson, Pardew, Kuqi and Stam...
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:26 - May 7 with 6312 viewsLankHenners

There's no surprise, just that no-one wants him.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:36 - May 7 with 6260 viewsSlambo

I can't say i've ever seen/heard anything from him that has made me think 'what a bell', but my objection is more that it's another classic example of a big name ex-pro just swanning into a top management positions because they were a handy player and/or they've still got mates in the game. History tells us time and time again this doesn't work (unless you've got an astronomical wage/transfer budget). All the truly great managers were non-descript players who truly learnt their craft in the lower leagues. That is what we need now and, frankly, should be the recruitment policy for any sensible football club...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:49 - May 7 with 6187 viewsWestover

I would not want him as our manager IMO he does not have the man management skills and I couldn't see how the players would get on and respect him as they did Mick McCarthy.
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:50 - May 7 with 6178 viewsCurrie10

' A BIT '?

He's right up there in absolute melt territory.
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:56 - May 7 with 6152 viewsElderGrizzly

After what he did at Swindon, he shouldn’t be anywhere near this level of job

Edit: things like this. Managing team as DoF when he had a head coach

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37995970
[Post edited 7 May 2018 21:00]
Login to get fewer ads

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:56 - May 7 with 6135 viewsBlueBadger

...and also because he's not displayed any evidence of being very good at football management.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:57 - May 7 with 6144 viewsitfcjoe

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:24 - May 7 by soupytwist

My standard response to people promoting Sherwood as manager is to suggest they read the excellent assessment of his pros and cons on the QPR fansite Loft for Words.

It's here about one third of the way down the page -

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/44262/runners-and-

I just don't see his management record as that bad - he's far from my first choice.

But he did an excellent job with Spurs U21s (at time when Klug was there) and people seem to think what Unsworth has done at Everton makes him worth considering.

With Spurs first team he was probably above par - and brought likes of Kane, Townsend into the first team, playing Kane ahead of £30m Soldado was a brave move which Spurs are still reaping benefits off.

He kept Villa up, brought best out of Grealish and got them to an FA Cup FInal/ They then sold Benteke and Delph a bought a load of foreign no makrs in when he was saying they needed EPL experience and he got the sack for not getting anything out of them, when next 2 managers couldn't either.

Not really sure what went on at Swindon in his role as DoF.

I just don't think the reputation and the reception his reported appointment is getting is warranted

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:58 - May 7 with 6134 viewsitfcjoe

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:56 - May 7 by ElderGrizzly

After what he did at Swindon, he shouldn’t be anywhere near this level of job

Edit: things like this. Managing team as DoF when he had a head coach

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37995970
[Post edited 7 May 2018 21:00]

What actually happened there?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 21:01 - May 7 with 6110 viewsElderGrizzly

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:58 - May 7 by itfcjoe

What actually happened there?

Good piece in The Set Pieces on the Tim Sherwood ‘experiment’ and how it failed

https://thesetpieces.com/features/tim-sherwood-swindon-town/
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 21:12 - May 7 with 6073 viewsitfcjoe

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 21:01 - May 7 by ElderGrizzly

Good piece in The Set Pieces on the Tim Sherwood ‘experiment’ and how it failed

https://thesetpieces.com/features/tim-sherwood-swindon-town/

It all just seems like a total muddle, he doesn't come out with any credit but feels as though it's hard to write off after that as seems a shambles from all involved.

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 21:32 - May 7 with 5999 viewsVaughan8

No one can be surprised because just about anyone within reason has been linked.

He did OK at Tottenham but he did have a decent side/players

Other than that, he has done not a lot which you would say was any good. God knows what happened at Swindon.

I don’t think he is the man to get the fans back. Surely he would like a bit of money to spend?
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 21:38 - May 7 with 5958 viewsMedwayTractor

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:36 - May 7 by Slambo

I can't say i've ever seen/heard anything from him that has made me think 'what a bell', but my objection is more that it's another classic example of a big name ex-pro just swanning into a top management positions because they were a handy player and/or they've still got mates in the game. History tells us time and time again this doesn't work (unless you've got an astronomical wage/transfer budget). All the truly great managers were non-descript players who truly learnt their craft in the lower leagues. That is what we need now and, frankly, should be the recruitment policy for any sensible football club...

I'm not sure that our three greatest managers, Alf Ramsey, Bobby Robson and George Burley, come into your category of "non-descript players".

That said, I am horrified to think that Marcus Evans is even giving someone as unsuitable as Sherwood an interview. He shouldn't be on the long list and certainly nowhere near a short list.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 21:42 - May 7 with 5934 viewsVic

Except I thought Evans said he was going to try something different. I don’t see how Sherwood would be different or exciting. Though I suppose he would be a risk!

All that said, I don’t think we need to get too worried or read too much into who is interviewed because he did say that no one was ruled in or out. On that basis we can expect a variety of people to be considered for the job.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 21:45 - May 7 with 5921 viewsmonty_radio

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:36 - May 7 by Slambo

Not sure that great managers need to have been quite "non-descript". Ramsey and Burley's international caps were all in double figures. I think that bloke Zidane wasn't too shabby a player. But if you mean that playing reputation indicates nothing re management potential - certainly.

Ex-pros often testify to the early obvious potential of team-mates they have known well. I wonder what RK's team-mates would have said if asked about his management potential though?
[Post edited 7 May 2018 22:21]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 21:48 - May 7 with 5909 viewswkj

It is not surprise mate, its dislike

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 22:16 - May 7 with 5827 viewsDennyx4

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:57 - May 7 by itfcjoe

I just don't see his management record as that bad - he's far from my first choice.

But he did an excellent job with Spurs U21s (at time when Klug was there) and people seem to think what Unsworth has done at Everton makes him worth considering.

With Spurs first team he was probably above par - and brought likes of Kane, Townsend into the first team, playing Kane ahead of £30m Soldado was a brave move which Spurs are still reaping benefits off.

He kept Villa up, brought best out of Grealish and got them to an FA Cup FInal/ They then sold Benteke and Delph a bought a load of foreign no makrs in when he was saying they needed EPL experience and he got the sack for not getting anything out of them, when next 2 managers couldn't either.

I just don't think the reputation and the reception his reported appointment is getting is warranted

Sorry Joe, your opinion is usually spot on, but think you have mis-judged this one.

For me, there are much better managers available, without the baggage that he would bring.

I personally don't think any of the jobs he has done has been good enough at first team level.

Tottenham - took over from AVB (who didnt have a clue), but only a season after Harry had a great run in the Champions League with the majority of the same players - par performance.

Aston Villa - Had never been relegated from the Premier League, a Villa fan I know lays the blame solely at Sherwood's door for that. The players mentioned also left under his watch, and the signings/team he played were simply not good enough. He isnt going to get as much money here, so will need to coach the players he has - I haven't seen any evidence that he can do that.

Swindon - clearly couldn't do the role of DOF

Finally, what we need most is unity from the fans - Sherwood with the background detailed above, plus his Norwich connections would divide the fans more than keeping Mick Mccarthy.
[Post edited 8 May 2018 10:58]
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 22:27 - May 7 with 5796 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep, was one of the most logical & realistic candidates from the off. Suspect he won't be far away - but I'd rather we didn't.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 22:46 - May 7 with 5716 viewsHerbivore

He's a complete weapon. I could just about stomach us appointing an anal douche of a man if they were a fantastic manager but in Sherwood's case he's done the thin end of fck all as a manager and isn't remotely what we need. It's a no from me, a very large and resounding no.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 22:50 - May 7 with 5700 viewsBrightonBlue

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 22:16 - May 7 by Dennyx4

Sorry Joe, your opinion is usually spot on, but think you have mis-judged this one.

For me, there are much better managers available, without the baggage that he would bring.

I personally don't think any of the jobs he has done has been good enough at first team level.

Tottenham - took over from AVB (who didnt have a clue), but only a season after Harry had a great run in the Champions League with the majority of the same players - par performance.

Aston Villa - Had never been relegated from the Premier League, a Villa fan I know lays the blame solely at Sherwood's door for that. The players mentioned also left under his watch, and the signings/team he played were simply not good enough. He isnt going to get as much money here, so will need to coach the players he has - I haven't seen any evidence that he can do that.

Swindon - clearly couldn't do the role of DOF

Finally, what we need most is unity from the fans - Sherwood with the background detailed above, plus his Norwich connections would divide the fans more than keeping Mick Mccarthy.
[Post edited 8 May 2018 10:58]

'Villa had never been relegated from the top tier?' Have I misread that. 1980's? I know it's before sky and all that...
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 23:01 - May 7 with 5649 viewsreusersfreekicks

Please please no, never ever.
I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 23:05 - May 7 with 5639 viewsWadeyBlue

I'm not surprised he's linked, but tbh as a manager he's sh*t.

Gerrard and Lampard i'd put in the bracket of new managers that would accept help to succeed.

Sherwood and Sol Campbell i'd put in the bracket of up their own arses that they wouldnt accept any help or mentoring and fail spectacularly.

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 23:51 - May 7 with 5600 viewsPhilTWTD

I can't believe anyone is that surprised that Sherwood has been linked on 20:57 - May 7 by itfcjoe

I'm with you, I don't particularly want him here but think some of the opprobrium is a touch over the top. I assume the work with Tottenham's youngsters is what makes him an attractive proposition. Hadn't really seen much on his time at Swindon until the post above but sounds ill thought out, Lee Power finding a job for a mate he rates highly but creating a bit of a mess.

From what I gather he impressed ME in his interview. I would guess they'll take note of the reaction to my story, bearing in mind they're keen to build bridges with fans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024