Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So today 15:48 - Feb 28 with 10475 viewshype313

Maplins and Toys'r'us, have gone into administration. Prezzo are shutting down 100 stores.

Brexits working a dream.

[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 19:00]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So today on 17:31 - Feb 28 with 2910 viewsJ2BLUE

Toys R Us feels really outdated now. Big expensive store out of town competing with the internet. The new Smyths store won't be helping either. Delivery options like Amazon Prime combined with their low prices will eventually kill all similar stores.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So today on 17:33 - Feb 28 with 2900 viewsDubtractor

So today on 16:01 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

And Andys Records

And Compact Music.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So today on 18:53 - Feb 28 with 2837 viewsflimflam

So today on 17:33 - Feb 28 by Dubtractor

And Compact Music.

Red Eye Records :-(

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

So today on 19:00 - Feb 28 with 2818 viewsBlueBadger

So today on 17:33 - Feb 28 by Dubtractor

And Compact Music.

They're still going in Sudbury.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So today on 19:19 - Feb 28 with 2798 viewssoupytwist

So today on 16:32 - Feb 28 by Deano69

Same as Byrons and a few others, trying to grow beyond their means, not always the best strategy for longevity.

Good article in the Guardian the other day about the decline in 'casual dining' restaurants -
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/22/casual-dining-crunch-jamies
So today on 08:07 - Mar 1 with 2692 viewsGlasgowBlue

So today on 19:19 - Feb 28 by soupytwist

Good article in the Guardian the other day about the decline in 'casual dining' restaurants -
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/22/casual-dining-crunch-jamies

And a good article in the speccie about how sh1t Jamie Oliver’s places were.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/jamie-oliver-should-have-stuck-to-recipes-

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So today on 08:10 - Mar 1 with 2692 viewsTractorWood

So today on 16:50 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

To be fair.

ToysRus; Been on the cards for years - outdated business

Maplins; They charge £20 for a cable that you can buy of Amazon for next day (sometimes same day) delivery at £1

Prezzo; People have realised they are being ripped off? - Watch Zizzis, Ask etc follow.

ChimmyWimmy; Didn't know about that. See above.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if B&Q hit the wall although apparently their finances are strong.

Brands that lead the way like Ikea, McDonalds, Aldi, etc seem to be ok.

Personally I think Brexit won't help but the stores you mentioned have been a long time in trouble. Maplins appointed ex directors of two other failed companies to their board recently.

This. These are 3 average businesses. I don't go to Prezzo because they charge £6.50 for a large bottle of beer not because of Brexit.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

So today on 08:13 - Mar 1 with 2690 viewsGlasgowBlue

So today on 08:10 - Mar 1 by TractorWood

This. These are 3 average businesses. I don't go to Prezzo because they charge £6.50 for a large bottle of beer not because of Brexit.

We stopped going to Prezzo once Tesco stopped including them in their club card vouchers. A convenient place to take the family if we were out for the day but wouldn’t have paid full price.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

So today on 08:18 - Mar 1 with 2688 viewsBluefish

So today on 16:50 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

To be fair.

ToysRus; Been on the cards for years - outdated business

Maplins; They charge £20 for a cable that you can buy of Amazon for next day (sometimes same day) delivery at £1

Prezzo; People have realised they are being ripped off? - Watch Zizzis, Ask etc follow.

ChimmyWimmy; Didn't know about that. See above.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if B&Q hit the wall although apparently their finances are strong.

Brands that lead the way like Ikea, McDonalds, Aldi, etc seem to be ok.

Personally I think Brexit won't help but the stores you mentioned have been a long time in trouble. Maplins appointed ex directors of two other failed companies to their board recently.

Toys R Us became popular because shopping their in huge shops was an exciting experience. They haven't spent a penny returning those shops since, they are grotty and it is now the opposite of an exciting experience.

Maplin is a cold experience again for what they are. Someone says hello at the door but it is a bit weird and forced Disney shop style. It is overpriced and most can be bought from big supermarkets. Plenty of times I think about going to maplin but their sort of stuff is so much cheaper online.

Prezzo initially came in and did really well with good food at fairly good prices. They were miles better than pizza express. The link with Clubcard became too popular though and the prices sky rocketed and the food went down. Clubcard has gone downhill and Prezzo are closing shops

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So today on 08:27 - Mar 1 with 2675 viewsBluefish

So today on 08:13 - Mar 1 by GlasgowBlue

We stopped going to Prezzo once Tesco stopped including them in their club card vouchers. A convenient place to take the family if we were out for the day but wouldn’t have paid full price.

They still accept them?

So today on 08:38 - Mar 1 with 2664 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So today on 08:18 - Mar 1 by Bluefish

Toys R Us became popular because shopping their in huge shops was an exciting experience. They haven't spent a penny returning those shops since, they are grotty and it is now the opposite of an exciting experience.

Maplin is a cold experience again for what they are. Someone says hello at the door but it is a bit weird and forced Disney shop style. It is overpriced and most can be bought from big supermarkets. Plenty of times I think about going to maplin but their sort of stuff is so much cheaper online.

Prezzo initially came in and did really well with good food at fairly good prices. They were miles better than pizza express. The link with Clubcard became too popular though and the prices sky rocketed and the food went down. Clubcard has gone downhill and Prezzo are closing shops

Prezzo operate in the same way as Pizza Express in that everything is basically twice the price, and then they permanently have offers on to attract customers - ie. buy one get one free, 2 courses for £12 etc. Basically, anyone paying full price is a mug

Can’t say I’m surprised there are a few struggling in that arena - it is overcrowded with Bella, Prezzo, Zizzi, Ask etc all basically peddling the same fare (I’m aware some of those are the same company)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So today on 08:47 - Mar 1 with 2659 viewswkj

I voted to remain, but if Toy'R'Us going under is a result of brexit, then I am pleased to admit I was incorrect in my vote. Now, I am sympathetic to the workers and staff affected as redundancy if quite horrible, though ToysRUs and Maplin have never been worth shedding a tear for.

All these who post RIP My Childhood and other nonsense about ToysRUs on social media clearly forget they probably never shopped there and left happy about their purchase, or cost of it. So no, I shed no tears for a rip off company that only impacted my life with a terrible jingle for a Christmas commercial in the 80s/90s

As for Maplin, it is more or less a similar scenario, a very hefty mark up on fairly easy to access items. I must admit as an electronic/radio hobbyist, the Maplin catalogue was a staple of my workshop, but I am sure they will continue to trade online (as many liquidated high street companies so, or try to do), and if not, then I can easily get what I need elsewhere.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

So today on 09:17 - Mar 1 with 2636 viewsBluefish

So today on 08:47 - Mar 1 by wkj

I voted to remain, but if Toy'R'Us going under is a result of brexit, then I am pleased to admit I was incorrect in my vote. Now, I am sympathetic to the workers and staff affected as redundancy if quite horrible, though ToysRUs and Maplin have never been worth shedding a tear for.

All these who post RIP My Childhood and other nonsense about ToysRUs on social media clearly forget they probably never shopped there and left happy about their purchase, or cost of it. So no, I shed no tears for a rip off company that only impacted my life with a terrible jingle for a Christmas commercial in the 80s/90s

As for Maplin, it is more or less a similar scenario, a very hefty mark up on fairly easy to access items. I must admit as an electronic/radio hobbyist, the Maplin catalogue was a staple of my workshop, but I am sure they will continue to trade online (as many liquidated high street companies so, or try to do), and if not, then I can easily get what I need elsewhere.

Everyone knew that voting brexit would mean the country is poorer and could struggle but 52% decided others things were more important than a financially stable country. Personally I though the era around 2008 was a bit sh*t

So today on 09:19 - Mar 1 with 2625 viewsSwansea_Blue

Until I read it in t'paper last night, I hadn't realised that Multiyork has gone too. Another nail in the coffin of local(ish) manufacturing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So today on 10:04 - Mar 1 with 2602 viewsstig4532

Maplin, as a company, is doomed to fail. It is not Brexit's fault that they sell stuff that can be easily bought on Amazon without having to step a foot outside of the house. The selection of their computer parts as well is...questionable.
So today on 10:06 - Mar 1 with 2600 viewsReuser_is_God

So today on 08:10 - Mar 1 by TractorWood

I love how anything that goes tits up is now blamed on Brexit.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

So today on 10:08 - Mar 1 with 2593 viewswkj

So today on 10:06 - Mar 1 by Reuser_is_God

I love how anything that goes tits up is now blamed on Brexit.

Its true though, as soon as brexit was announced my then wife was tits up with the milkman
[Post edited 1 Mar 2018 10:08]

So today on 10:10 - Mar 1 with 2585 viewsReuser_is_God

So today on 08:38 - Mar 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Prezzo operate in the same way as Pizza Express in that everything is basically twice the price, and then they permanently have offers on to attract customers - ie. buy one get one free, 2 courses for £12 etc. Basically, anyone paying full price is a mug

Can’t say I’m surprised there are a few struggling in that arena - it is overcrowded with Bella, Prezzo, Zizzi, Ask etc all basically peddling the same fare (I’m aware some of those are the same company)

A colleague of mine took some clients to Ask the other night.

Crazy really given how good Ipswich is for eating out that you’d take a high end client to Ask.

Evans out

So today on 10:12 - Mar 1 with 2579 viewswkj

So today on 10:10 - Mar 1 by Reuser_is_God

Crazy really given how good Ipswich is for eating out that you’d take a high end client to Ask.

Ask, Zizzi, Frankie and Benny, and Pizza Express are all poor choices for that price range.

So today on 10:19 - Mar 1 with 2566 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So today on 10:10 - Mar 1 by Reuser_is_God

Madness

Surprised anyone goes anywhere other than the docks for that sort of thing really. We have clients who are convinced Ipswich is some kind of utopia, given their only real experience is our office, the restaurants around the docks and staying at the Salthouse! (In fairness, it’s not as bad as people make out)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So today on 10:24 - Mar 1 with 2558 viewsReuser_is_God

So today on 10:19 - Mar 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Madness

Surprised anyone goes anywhere other than the docks for that sort of thing really. We have clients who are convinced Ipswich is some kind of utopia, given their only real experience is our office, the restaurants around the docks and staying at the Salthouse! (In fairness, it’s not as bad as people make out)

We tend to use Kwan Thai, Ghandi or Trongs for entertaining clients.

Nice area of town & decent bars on that stretch also.

Yeah I don’t think Ipswich is half as bad as people make out.

Evans out

So today on 10:36 - Mar 1 with 2543 viewsitfcjoe

So today on 10:24 - Mar 1 by Reuser_is_God

It clearly isn't - the selection may be a bit more limited but I know where I can go to a nice bar and a nice restauratn and there is a decent enough selection for a small town. If people come from outside Ipswich and we have drinks at Arcade Tavern, then food somewhere like Aqua, Kwan Thai or a number of other places then you are going to struggle to top it if you have to take into account travelling to it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So today on 10:59 - Mar 1 with 2509 viewsLord_Lucan

So today on 10:24 - Mar 1 by Reuser_is_God

Sorry but I disagree with you and Joe here. You are both holding up a few establishments as beacons of our towns greatness but you are looking at things upside down. Rather than say "Ipswich isn't too bad, we've got Trongs, Arcade etc" you should be saying "Ipswich is sh1te, for such an urban sprawl we've only got Tron gs, Arcade etc"

Having visited nearly every town in the UK in a four week period during "The great product recall" of 2009 I would say that on a scale of population to decentness Ipswich is second from bottom in the country.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So today on 11:08 - Mar 1 with 2501 viewsitfcjoe

So today on 10:59 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

Sorry but I disagree with you and Joe here. You are both holding up a few establishments as beacons of our towns greatness but you are looking at things upside down. Rather than say "Ipswich isn't too bad, we've got Trongs, Arcade etc" you should be saying "Ipswich is sh1te, for such an urban sprawl we've only got Tron gs, Arcade etc"

Having visited nearly every town in the UK in a four week period during "The great product recall" of 2009 I would say that on a scale of population to decentness Ipswich is second from bottom in the country.

I don't think we are saying that it's great, just that it isn't terrible for what i need/want from a town

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So today on 11:10 - Mar 1 with 2491 viewshype313

So today on 10:59 - Mar 1 by Lord_Lucan

Agreed, and to be honest Trongs is the most overrated place within a 50 mile radius of the town.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024