Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. 11:05 - Nov 29 with 21682 viewsBlueBadger

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/28/uk-and-eu-agree-brexit-divorce-

Couldn't we just not leave the EU and give the NHS £50bn?
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 11:12]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:51 - Nov 29 with 4966 viewsSpruceMoose

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 11:55 - Nov 29 by J2BLUE

After the job they've done so far we'll likely agree to pay this and Germany and France will agree to trade talks knowing Ireland will veto them anyway. Then what? Do we bow to Ireland and stay in the customs union and single market like they want?

If so, we may as well have another referendum and stay.

Yeah baby! Let's do it!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:52 - Nov 29 with 4964 viewsnoggin

Surely nobody was foolish enough to vote for brexit without knowing what it entailed?

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:52 - Nov 29 with 4964 viewsSeablu

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:01 - Nov 29 by GlasgowBlue

Are you going to be following me around all day or this this a lifetime commitment to obsession?

It's no walk in the park being a sock puppet.
No doubt I'll get bored at some point & go back to the day job.
Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:53 - Nov 29 with 4959 viewsGuthrum

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:31 - Nov 29 by giant_stow

Anyone know if this money depends on getting a trade deal or are we just paying it either way?

The entire deal has to be agreed by all member states. Money, trade deals, everything.

But we'll be paying some of that sum while negotiations on other aspects are ongoing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:57 - Nov 29 with 4924 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:52 - Nov 29 by Seablu

It's no walk in the park being a sock puppet.
No doubt I'll get bored at some point & go back to the day job.

Begging or prostitution?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:59 - Nov 29 with 4932 viewsSpruceMoose

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:57 - Nov 29 by GlasgowBlue

Begging or prostitution?

Can you catch me up please? Has Seablu been outed as Facey?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:02 - Nov 29 with 4926 viewsBigalhunter

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:57 - Nov 29 by GlasgowBlue

Begging or prostitution?

Tad harsh.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 14:03]
Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:04 - Nov 29 with 4899 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:53 - Nov 29 by Guthrum

The entire deal has to be agreed by all member states. Money, trade deals, everything.

But we'll be paying some of that sum while negotiations on other aspects are ongoing.

Indeed. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 14:05]

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:05 - Nov 29 with 4912 viewsSeablu

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:59 - Nov 29 by SpruceMoose

Who's facey?
Well I would say that wouldn't I?
Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:05 - Nov 29 with 4894 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:02 - Nov 29 by Bigalhunter

Tad harsh.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 14:03]

Your reply pre edit was better.

Iron Lion Zion

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:09 - Nov 29 with 4900 viewsArcher4721

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:59 - Nov 29 by SpruceMoose

Well he's been calling me "Facey" for years. It seems anyone who gives him a bit of stick is this poor "Facey" chap.

Arf.
Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:11 - Nov 29 with 4888 viewsfactual_blue

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:52 - Nov 29 by noggin

Surely nobody was foolish enough to vote for brexit without knowing what it entailed?

balls

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:12 - Nov 29 with 4884 viewsblue_oyster

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:26 - Nov 29 by Guthrum

No, that's the negotiation much of which has already happened. The final figure is dependent upon those factors.

At the beginning of this EU funding cycle (4 yearly IIRC), before the vote happened, let alone the triggering of A50, the UK (as with all other member states) made commitments to fund the organisation's running costs (e.g. subsidies, grants, admin, legal). The question is, having decided to leave, how much we get let off from those commitments.

As to exactly what the EU budget is spent on and our contribution to each part, you'll have to look that up.

So where is this backed up? There doesn't seem to be any information on what the £50bn is being spent on. Do you have any details?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:15 - Nov 29 with 4880 viewsDarth_Koont

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:12 - Nov 29 by blue_oyster

So where is this backed up? There doesn't seem to be any information on what the £50bn is being spent on. Do you have any details?

It's in the article, all nicely colour-coded.

Based on HoC library estimates.

Pronouns: He/Him

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:20 - Nov 29 with 4862 viewsSpruceMoose

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:11 - Nov 29 by factual_blue

balls

End of your balls?

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:23 - Nov 29 with 4860 viewsArcher4721

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:05 - Nov 29 by Seablu

Who's facey?
Well I would say that wouldn't I?

He must have been a real rotter.

He's certainly left a mark on poor tainted GB, whoever he is / was.
Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:45 - Nov 29 with 4835 viewsblue_oyster

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:15 - Nov 29 by Darth_Koont

It's in the article, all nicely colour-coded.

Based on HoC library estimates.

This is just an estimate of the 2019-2020 EU budget. I'm asking where the evidence is, if any, of what we have been promised for the £50bn agreed.

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:53 - Nov 29 with 4821 viewsnoggin

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:45 - Nov 29 by blue_oyster

This is just an estimate of the 2019-2020 EU budget. I'm asking where the evidence is, if any, of what we have been promised for the £50bn agreed.

New roads in Hungary, Romania and Lithuania.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 15:01 - Nov 29 with 4811 viewsGuthrum

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 14:45 - Nov 29 by blue_oyster

We haven't been promised anything, except maybe an easier ride for the rest of the process. This financial stuff is not a transaction, more like negotiating with debt collectors.

The UK promised to pay, now we're discussing how much notice we need to serve to get out of the contract early.

In terms of what we get out of paying into the EU budget, there's a whole raft of subsidies and grants which come back into the country. But not as much as we put in - bein one of the wealthier members, we subsidise the poorer ones (as Germany and France also do). This £50bn figure is our net contribution after these things have been deducted.

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 15:02 - Nov 29 with 4809 viewsDarth_Koont

Nothing in the 50 billion. That's the figure after we've taken out rebates, CAP and our own projects.

Pronouns: He/Him

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 15:07 - Nov 29 with 4803 viewsheavyweight

The UK's annual net contribution is around £8.5bn and it seems reasonable to pay upto not only when we leave but the end of the funding cycle , which is 2020.

There is the additional cost of pensions etc which I guess are on-going costs that have implicitly been agreed to.

The bulk of the rest is for projects that have been agreed in principal but not yet started and will not be started until beyond the end of the funding cycle (if at all!) I don't really think these costs should be included as by definition they would be part of another funding cycle. (If a country was due to be a recipient of these projects but left before they materialised - they would not then expect to benefit from them)

If the final bill is in the order of £50bn - that is about 6 years worth of payments which does not seem at all reasonable. Considering the funding cycle ends just a year after the UK exit
Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 15:24 - Nov 29 with 4794 viewsGuthrum

Or, to put it another way, £50bn divided by £350m per week is about the time from when Article 50 was invoked through to the end of 2020.

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 15:46 - Nov 29 with 4777 viewsblue_oyster

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 15:01 - Nov 29 by Guthrum

We haven't been promised anything, except maybe an easier ride for the rest of the process. This financial stuff is not a transaction, more like negotiating with debt collectors.

The UK promised to pay, now we're discussing how much notice we need to serve to get out of the contract early.

In terms of what we get out of paying into the EU budget, there's a whole raft of subsidies and grants which come back into the country. But not as much as we put in - bein one of the wealthier members, we subsidise the poorer ones (as Germany and France also do). This £50bn figure is our net contribution after these things have been deducted.

Thank you. So all we have evidence of so far, is that we have paid £50bn simply to talk to them. This is shocking.

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 15:55 - Nov 29 with 4765 viewsGuthrum

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 15:46 - Nov 29 by blue_oyster

Thank you. So all we have evidence of so far, is that we have paid £50bn simply to talk to them. This is shocking.

To talk to them about the things we want to (a trade deal). Otherwise we don't get to. Them's the rules, as determined by the people making the final decision.

And it's only an agreement of liability. As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, we don't pay that sum except as part of an agreed deal.

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 16:11 - Nov 29 with 4748 viewsBOjK

Well that's some negotiating skills Thicko Davies has. on 13:42 - Nov 29 by hype313

Believe it now means because we are committed to pay until we leave, they will now engage with us over trade talks.

We will be paying for many years after we leave for commitments we made while we were a member.

Agreement on money was one of three hurdles that had to be overcome before talks moved onto trade. Citizen's rights always seemed the least painful, and this has just resulted in the government folding, despite all the noises from tories that we'd either pay nothing ("go whistle") or a lot less.

That just leaves the Irish border, and it is hard to see a good resolution to that if/when we leave the Customs Union.

Oh. Don't forget that our genius negotiating team were definitely not going to accept this sequencing of talks the the EU insisted on. And then they did.

Seems like, we'll end up with a Canada-style deal after a few years and a pretty hard border in Ireland. This will make both us and the Irish a bit poorer.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024