Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? 08:46 - Jan 23 with 2966 viewsitfcjoe

He doesn't seem to get himself set and just bundles both in - is once unlucky and twice careless?

Not specifically blaming, but feels like a learning point that he needs to get turned to face the ball so that he can react for when they get flashed in.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:48 - Jan 23 with 2223 viewsmattyboar

The keepers touch was telling, not sure you can read anything into it imo
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:48 - Jan 23 with 2219 viewsRobTheMonk

I'd say once is an anomaly, twice is unlucky, three times you start to ask questions.
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:48 - Jan 23 with 2203 viewsStokieBlue

It was deflected into him from close range how are you supposed to get set for that?

Very harsh I feel.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:49 - Jan 23 with 2157 viewsFrimleyBlue

It feels wrong to do so but you do have to say yes.

In his position and how he's coming back. He needs to open his body up almost being in a diagonal state so he has a chance to actually hit the ball away.
Being do blunt footed facing your own goal you can't do anything.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:49 - Jan 23 with 2176 viewsKieran_Knows

This isn't a witch hunt before anyone says it is, but Davis' reaction says it all for me ... he was clearly expecting Hladky to do better with it, as you even saw Davis mimic with the pushing of the hands.

I think it's all a bit six of one, half a dozen of the other for me.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:50 - Jan 23 with 2153 viewsHerbivore

I mentioned it last night but for both he didn't give himself any chance of defending them properly as his body shape was all wrong, basically meant that if he made contact with the ball the only place it was going was in the back of the net, he was never set to be able to actually defend it. I can remember at much lower levels coaches used to discourage defenders from running towards the goal square on between the sticks like that because if the ball comes your way then you're going to need a huge slice of luck to not put it in your own goal. I'm sure at the higher levels it's more nuanced than that, but physics is physics.

Edit - the touch from Hladky last night obviously makes life much harder but I stand by feeling for both OGs that his body shape is wrong and he's not set to do anything other than knock it into his own goal.
[Post edited 23 Jan 8:51]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:52 - Jan 23 with 2095 viewsportmanking

I think it's one of those where we shouldn't really assess too much of the final phase of their goal. It's the first couple of phases which worried me. Travis ball watching, then far, far too slow to react. No-one able to stop the cross. It's those fine margins which need ironing out more so than Hladky or Davis.
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:54 - Jan 23 with 2072 viewssoupytwist

I think that the one against Leeds got a little deflection before it got to him as well. Unlucky on both but if 'prone to the odd own goal' is his main defensive weakness I think we can live with it.
Login to get fewer ads

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:54 - Jan 23 with 2063 viewsBasuco

Last night he knew there was an opponent behind him so he had to deal with the cross, the ball went between Hladkys hands, it was a very good ball in as well. He was perfect in positioning and level with the ball. Very unlucky to put it in last night IMO.
[Post edited 23 Jan 9:03]
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:57 - Jan 23 with 2016 viewstextbackup

Was mentioned on the sky commentary actually.
Saying that he knows there’s a huge chance that ball is wacked across goal, and he needs to be aware of that.

Must say, on a few occasions lastnight defensively (first half) he did look a bit suspect.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:59 - Jan 23 with 1987 viewstextbackup

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:48 - Jan 23 by StokieBlue

It was deflected into him from close range how are you supposed to get set for that?

Very harsh I feel.

SB

Deflected? I’ve watched that 4/5 times, it pretty much goes through the keepers hands, I reckon it moves an inch at most, so it’s effectively hitting LD regardless.

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:01 - Jan 23 with 1941 viewsStokieBlue

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:59 - Jan 23 by textbackup

Deflected? I’ve watched that 4/5 times, it pretty much goes through the keepers hands, I reckon it moves an inch at most, so it’s effectively hitting LD regardless.

So it was selected then.

Moving even a little bit coupled with the fact he expected the keeper to block it is going to make it hard to set.

Just think there is nothing to see here.

SB

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:07 - Jan 23 with 1891 viewstextbackup

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:01 - Jan 23 by StokieBlue

So it was selected then.

Moving even a little bit coupled with the fact he expected the keeper to block it is going to make it hard to set.

Just think there is nothing to see here.

SB

LD is running towards and facing his goal…

LDs frame (that the ball could hit) is probably 15” wide, that ball moving an inch really makes no difference. But I’m sure I’m wrong and you’re right

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:08 - Jan 23 with 1870 viewsportmanking

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:57 - Jan 23 by textbackup

Saying that he knows there’s a huge chance that ball is wacked across goal, and he needs to be aware of that.

Must say, on a few occasions lastnight defensively (first half) he did look a bit suspect.

I think that may be the only reason why a Prem club doesn't come sniffing for Leif. Defensively, he's probably no better than a bottom half Champ full back. But offensively, he's top half Prem quality. It's a conundrum for a scout, I'd imagine.
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:08 - Jan 23 with 1866 viewsJakeITFC

Keepers fault last night for me - not saying he should catch it necessarily, but he has to do something to parry it away or smother. Davis is doing the right thing in that scenario in that he’s covering the line for the potential rebound shot that would follow, so he’s right to get back on the line and expect Hladky to deal with it in some way or another.
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:09 - Jan 23 with 1853 viewsGuthrum

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:54 - Jan 23 by Basuco

Last night he knew there was an opponent behind him so he had to deal with the cross, the ball went between Hladkys hands, it was a very good ball in as well. He was perfect in positioning and level with the ball. Very unlucky to put it in last night IMO.
[Post edited 23 Jan 9:03]

Indeed. If he'd managed to let the ball between his legs, there's a very good chance the Leicester player lurking behind would have put it away with Hladky helpless on the ground.

Very difficult to get set when running towards the goal and the ball suddenly comes at him from the side at speed and short range (after Hladky got his hands to it), straight at his legs. You could argue that he should have moved earlier, already be in position on the goal-line. But there was defending further out to be done and Leicester were very sharp and clever in rapidly bursting through those extra yards to fire the cross.

I would put the OG as much down to Leicester's skill as any unforced error on Davis' part.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:11 - Jan 23 with 1816 viewsGuthrum

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 08:57 - Jan 23 by textbackup

He's a Wing-Back, not a Back-Wing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:11 - Jan 23 with 1812 viewsitfctilidie

I think the own goals are unlucky. However I will say going forward he looks a Premiership left back, defensively not so much.
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:13 - Jan 23 with 1778 viewsitfcsuth

I don't know, feels very harsh.

He was in the natural position running back towards the goal. I don't think he could have been in any other position.

Both times have taken flicks just in front of him to divert the ball.

Think it's very harsh to lay any blame at all at his doorstep on this.
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:14 - Jan 23 with 1771 viewsStokieBlue

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:07 - Jan 23 by textbackup

LD is running towards and facing his goal…

LDs frame (that the ball could hit) is probably 15” wide, that ball moving an inch really makes no difference. But I’m sure I’m wrong and you’re right

Really no need for the pathetic dig, we are having a simple debate about football.

I've also said that he was expecting the keeper to get it (as I'm sure most were) and that would also affect his positioning.

Think it's very harsh to be allocating blame to Davis in this instance.

SB

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:14 - Jan 23 with 1770 viewsHerbivore

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:09 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

Indeed. If he'd managed to let the ball between his legs, there's a very good chance the Leicester player lurking behind would have put it away with Hladky helpless on the ground.

Very difficult to get set when running towards the goal and the ball suddenly comes at him from the side at speed and short range (after Hladky got his hands to it), straight at his legs. You could argue that he should have moved earlier, already be in position on the goal-line. But there was defending further out to be done and Leicester were very sharp and clever in rapidly bursting through those extra yards to fire the cross.

I would put the OG as much down to Leicester's skill as any unforced error on Davis' part.

On your last point, that's always worth highlighting. With pretty much any goal you concede it's possible to pick out individual errors, however small, that contribute to it but they really showed quality with the speed of passing and movement to create that opening. It was a frustrating one to concede as we'd largely limited them to speculative efforts from distance up until then, but it was good play from them regardless of any small mistakes we made. I'm probably being harsh on Leif but that's because I know how high his ceiling is as a player and if he's going to fulfil his potential there are things for him to still improve on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:14 - Jan 23 with 1769 viewsitfcjoe

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:08 - Jan 23 by JakeITFC

Keepers fault last night for me - not saying he should catch it necessarily, but he has to do something to parry it away or smother. Davis is doing the right thing in that scenario in that he’s covering the line for the potential rebound shot that would follow, so he’s right to get back on the line and expect Hladky to deal with it in some way or another.

I'm with Texters, the ball barely moves and had VH not gone for it, or misses it totally, then LD still not set and just bundles it in anyway - I think he's got to face the ball so can swing something at it when it reaches him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:18 - Jan 23 with 1722 viewsStewart27

I definitely think it can be worked on.

But last night:

No touch from Hladky = no own goal
Strong touch from Hladky = no own goal
Weak touch from Hladky = own goal

I’m no way stating it was Hladky’s fault either. Just bad luck I think.
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:19 - Jan 23 with 1700 viewsJakeITFC

Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:14 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

I'm with Texters, the ball barely moves and had VH not gone for it, or misses it totally, then LD still not set and just bundles it in anyway - I think he's got to face the ball so can swing something at it when it reaches him

My point is that I don’t think he should be expect to be defending the ball at that time really, he’s getting in place for the second action, Hladky’s mistake forces his mistake.
Should Leif Davis be doing better with the OGs? on 09:20 - Jan 23 with 1683 viewsCityBlue

Just bad luck, although safe to say a CB would have just launched the ball into the stratosphere. Even if Davis had managed to avoid the ball it would have been a back post tap in. Sometimes a row z ball is needed.

I T I D

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024