Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scarlett 11:09 - Dec 14 with 3464 viewstractorboy1978

What role do we think he still has to play? I thought he was starting to look really bright and like he could make a real impact off the bench (excellent at Birmingham). However, he's been an unused sub in the last 3. Obviously we are going to sign a striker in January and he seems well behind Broadhead, Chaplin, Burns, Hutchinson, Harness. He can't go anywhere else in January so will presumably stay here unless we mutually decide to cut it short and go for someone else.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 11:11]
Scarlett on 11:16 - Dec 14 with 3147 viewsGuthrum

FA Cup run.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Scarlett on 11:19 - Dec 14 with 3120 viewsBiGDonnie

There are some rumours that Tottenham are going to recall him in January...

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Scarlett on 11:22 - Dec 14 with 3077 viewsJakeITFC

I thought he might have got the nod ahead of Ladapo to come on at Watford, however Ladapo being fancied might mean we are after a couple of in that position come January (although I guess Tottenham can only recall Scarlett to use him, which might be possible considering they've been a bit thin themselves of late).
Scarlett on 11:22 - Dec 14 with 3077 viewstractorboy1978

Scarlett on 11:19 - Dec 14 by BiGDonnie

Maybe Spurs would prefer to have him around their first team squad as he isn't getting many minutes here. I also think they wanted him getting exposure as a striker and seems quite obvious McKenna doesn't really see him in that role now.
Scarlett on 11:33 - Dec 14 with 2977 views_clive_baker_

Scarlett on 11:22 - Dec 14 by JakeITFC

I thought he might have got the nod ahead of Ladapo to come on at Watford, however Ladapo being fancied might mean we are after a couple of in that position come January (although I guess Tottenham can only recall Scarlett to use him, which might be possible considering they've been a bit thin themselves of late).

I think the physicality of Ladapo made sense at Watford, it was the land of the giants at the back and when you've already got Chaplin, Broadhead and Hutchinson as of our most forward players, who aren't the biggest to say the least, I think we needed to replace Hirst's brute with more beef which Freddie gave us.

Scarlett's time will come, the FA Cup will be a good opportunity for him and no doubt he'll play a part over the next couple of weeks where the games come thick and fast. 5 league games in the next 18 days, including a derby and travelling to Leeds and Stoke. Full on innit.
Scarlett on 11:36 - Dec 14 with 2928 viewsdavblue

I’ve heard that also.

There was interest from league 1 from a club that wanted to play him as a striker start him every week, but his agent didn’t do him any favours and he played for spurs and us and now can’t play for anyone else.
Scarlett on 11:38 - Dec 14 with 2882 viewstractorboy1978

Scarlett on 11:33 - Dec 14 by _clive_baker_

I think the physicality of Ladapo made sense at Watford, it was the land of the giants at the back and when you've already got Chaplin, Broadhead and Hutchinson as of our most forward players, who aren't the biggest to say the least, I think we needed to replace Hirst's brute with more beef which Freddie gave us.

Scarlett's time will come, the FA Cup will be a good opportunity for him and no doubt he'll play a part over the next couple of weeks where the games come thick and fast. 5 league games in the next 18 days, including a derby and travelling to Leeds and Stoke. Full on innit.

I think he will pick up odd minutes but McKenna hasn't started him yet, he hasn't found his way into the rotation. If he hasn't by now, I wonder if he ever will this season. Be interesting to see what happens with him in January if we feel we can get someone in that is ready to be more instantly impactful in terms of improving the starting 11.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 11:40]
Scarlett on 11:42 - Dec 14 with 2832 viewsNeedhamChris

Scarlett on 11:16 - Dec 14 by Guthrum

FA Cup run.

Agreed - would be shocked if he doesn't start at Wimbledon.

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Login to get fewer ads

Scarlett on 11:43 - Dec 14 with 2819 viewsLankHenners

Agree thought he was starting to look like he could be more effective but in truth think McKenna's struggled to find where best to play him. Doesn't offer what Hirst does up front (and against tough Championship CBs perhaps isn't viewed to have the right physicality to battle them, hence Ladapo getting the nod ahead of him), has come on for Chaplin a couple of times but isn't the same as him so is more a 'getting a 2nd striker on' sub (like at West Brom) which we rarely want/need to do, but has looked better in that Broadhead left forward role though Harness (or occasionally Omari) has been preferred as an alternative there.

Unless Spurs think if he's going to spend time training with a squad and not playing it might as well be with them, there's not much point in them recalling him. Think they've handled him pretty badly in all honestly. Took too long to make up their mind with what to do with him (understandable to a degree as they were/are a bit light in that part of the pitch) so he missed out on a chunk of time he could have been with us, then cup-tied him a couple of days before sending him to us which I thought was daft at the time and in hindsight looks even more stupid. The Carabao games would have been perfect to get him up to speed but he couldn't play, and now if Spurs are unhappy with his game time they can't send him anywhere else.

A run out in the FA cup looks the best bet for him for now, then hopefully he can push himself into the regular rotation.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Scarlett on 11:45 - Dec 14 with 2797 viewschicoazul

Scarlett on 11:16 - Dec 14 by Guthrum

FA Cup run.

Good chance we will sign him on a perm in Jan too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Scarlett on 11:51 - Dec 14 with 2731 viewsJakeITFC

Scarlett on 11:45 - Dec 14 by chicoazul

Good chance we will sign him on a perm in Jan too.

Think it will be a difficult one to do at a value that makes much sense for us - if we are constrained by FFP headroom I don't think any fee >£1m (and it would have to be well north of that I imagine) would be our best use of those funds.
Scarlett on 11:56 - Dec 14 with 2679 views_clive_baker_

Scarlett on 11:38 - Dec 14 by tractorboy1978

I think he will pick up odd minutes but McKenna hasn't started him yet, he hasn't found his way into the rotation. If he hasn't by now, I wonder if he ever will this season. Be interesting to see what happens with him in January if we feel we can get someone in that is ready to be more instantly impactful in terms of improving the starting 11.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 11:40]

I think to some degree that's a consequence of how well we've done so far. Similar for Taylor really, although he's played a little more. Luongo and Morsy have been so strong that he can't really dislodge them. Poor Scarlett when we've got Hutchinson, Harness, Broadhead and Burns vying to play either side of Chaplin, all in good form and contributing numbers. Hirst is so pivotal to our system too, it's hard to see Scarlett starting any time soon. Think he has to get used to 15 minutes here and there right now.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 11:59]
Scarlett on 11:58 - Dec 14 with 2671 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Scarlett on 11:36 - Dec 14 by davblue

I’ve heard that also.

There was interest from league 1 from a club that wanted to play him as a striker start him every week, but his agent didn’t do him any favours and he played for spurs and us and now can’t play for anyone else.

He's contributed to our season but really needs another season in League One to develop further, I think had we been more mid-table he'd have played more, but with the Premier League now at stake in a major way many good but fringe players won't be getting the same opportunity. Walton, Donacien, Edmundson, Humphreys, Aluko and Ladapo coming to mind, although as we have seen, they will get games as and when required.
Scarlett on 12:07 - Dec 14 with 2615 viewsPhilTWTD

If they do, he can't go anywhere else as he's played for them and us already this season.
Scarlett on 12:14 - Dec 14 with 2550 viewsRobTheMonk

Scarlett on 12:07 - Dec 14 by PhilTWTD

If they do, he can't go anywhere else as he's played for them and us already this season.

Could he go abroad?
Scarlett on 12:26 - Dec 14 with 2452 viewsNthQldITFC

I think he'll play a significant part before and possibly after we've got a new striker in in January. He has been starting to look more the part in his little cameos lately, even as a No. 9, when I'd become convinced he was going to be Broadhead's replacement with 20 to go. I think he's got it, and will get some action over the rest of the season, in either role.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Scarlett on 12:31 - Dec 14 with 2413 viewsPhilTWTD

Scarlett on 12:14 - Dec 14 by RobTheMonk

Could he go abroad?

No, it's a FIFA rule.
Scarlett on 12:46 - Dec 14 with 2306 viewsbournemouthblue

Scarlett on 11:22 - Dec 14 by tractorboy1978

Maybe Spurs would prefer to have him around their first team squad as he isn't getting many minutes here. I also think they wanted him getting exposure as a striker and seems quite obvious McKenna doesn't really see him in that role now.

Indeed, he looks better as a number 10 potentially and that isn't really what Spurs are after

I suspect we will get a striker, who can double as a number 10 potentially, that would be the best option. I quite liked the look of Collins at Brizzle Rovers but I suspect we'll be looking at a project who can develop with us, possibly with some pedigree from a bigger club

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Scarlett on 13:34 - Dec 14 with 2097 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's not at all surprising. I'm obviously not questioning KM, but I've been disappointed in how much we've seen of him. Disappointed for him more than anything. I thought he'd have a much bigger role to play and we'd all be waxing lyrical about him by now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Scarlett on 13:44 - Dec 14 with 2042 viewsBiGDonnie

Scarlett on 13:34 - Dec 14 by Swansea_Blue

That's not at all surprising. I'm obviously not questioning KM, but I've been disappointed in how much we've seen of him. Disappointed for him more than anything. I thought he'd have a much bigger role to play and we'd all be waxing lyrical about him by now.

Same. Loads of games coming up so he should get more time soon, plus Wimbledon if he's still here.

COYBs

Scarlett on 13:44 - Dec 14 with 2044 viewsBigCommon

Does look a bit like KM doesn't fancy FL or Scarlett atm... He's extending Hirst's minutes on the pitch to 80 plus. And probably just rotating FL and DS in the sub role, to give them a few minutes here and there....
Thing is, both Freddy and Dane are both here atm. Part of a squad that's flying. Good opportunity for both to show some character, and push a bit harder to improve, imo..
I've championed Freddy loads, but he resembles a player that knows his future lies elswhere, lately, imo... I'm not sure if he's dropped off a bit, or the players around him have all gone up a notch?.. But the gap in standards is looking bigger each week.
Feel a bit for Scarlett, hasn't been given much time on the pitch.. But the table doesn't lie, so he can't really complain too much. Different if we weren't winning games.. Not sure he can do the dog work expected in one of our 10 roles. And he ain't shifting Hirst anytime soon.
Scarlett on 13:56 - Dec 14 with 1968 viewshomer_123

I think it is a simple consequence of us doing so well and on an individual level, performances of those in the position(s) Scarlett can play haven't really dropped.

Couple that with Hutch proving his worth (and not just going forward) and I think it really is that simple.

Who do you not play to pop Scarlett in?

Hirst - absolutely not
Chappers - absolutely not
Burns - nope, def not
Broadhead - he's the only one I feel you 'could' do given he has, based on his performances and ability, not quite been firing but even so, he's still play well

But, then if you do rest Broady, do you give Scarlett a run ahead of Harness? Nope.

What about Hutch - again, nope.

Right now, not a lot of space for him other than sub minutes here and there.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Scarlett on 13:58 - Dec 14 with 1962 viewsBiGDonnie

Scarlett on 13:44 - Dec 14 by BigCommon

Does look a bit like KM doesn't fancy FL or Scarlett atm... He's extending Hirst's minutes on the pitch to 80 plus. And probably just rotating FL and DS in the sub role, to give them a few minutes here and there....
Thing is, both Freddy and Dane are both here atm. Part of a squad that's flying. Good opportunity for both to show some character, and push a bit harder to improve, imo..
I've championed Freddy loads, but he resembles a player that knows his future lies elswhere, lately, imo... I'm not sure if he's dropped off a bit, or the players around him have all gone up a notch?.. But the gap in standards is looking bigger each week.
Feel a bit for Scarlett, hasn't been given much time on the pitch.. But the table doesn't lie, so he can't really complain too much. Different if we weren't winning games.. Not sure he can do the dog work expected in one of our 10 roles. And he ain't shifting Hirst anytime soon.

Thought the same about Freddie when he came on, I think he's been told he's off in Jan and wouldn't surprise me if a move had been lined up.

COYBs

Scarlett on 14:21 - Dec 14 with 1854 viewscressi

Personally a loan that has not worked out unlike Hutchinson who has improved with time
If possible I would send back to Spurs as we have not got time for him to hopefully come good we been good now.
Scarlett on 17:48 - Dec 14 with 1534 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Scarlett on 13:56 - Dec 14 by homer_123

I think it is a simple consequence of us doing so well and on an individual level, performances of those in the position(s) Scarlett can play haven't really dropped.

Couple that with Hutch proving his worth (and not just going forward) and I think it really is that simple.

Who do you not play to pop Scarlett in?

Hirst - absolutely not
Chappers - absolutely not
Burns - nope, def not
Broadhead - he's the only one I feel you 'could' do given he has, based on his performances and ability, not quite been firing but even so, he's still play well

But, then if you do rest Broady, do you give Scarlett a run ahead of Harness? Nope.

What about Hutch - again, nope.

Right now, not a lot of space for him other than sub minutes here and there.

I agree.

We've had the brilliant situation of:
- very few injuries, with really only Burns out for a significant period in the forward positions
- all our forward players being in great form
- amazing results, so no need to change things

I think Scarlett has just been unlucky, not helped by being cup-tied. An injury or two, a drop off in form from a player or two, and he could play a really big role in 2024
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024