Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which January recruitment has been better? 22:18 - Apr 7 with 1775 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Sir Marcus Stewart back in 2000?

or Broadhead/Luongo/Hirst/Clarke right now?

Both remarkable to put it nicely ;)
Which January recruitment has been better? on 22:22 - Apr 7 with 1733 viewsVic

We’ll know after Fleetwood away.

If we fail to make it up then for all the excitement and fun we’re having it will have been in vain.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 22:31 - Apr 7 with 1661 viewsSE1blue

Marcus Stewart's transfer has always amazed and impressed me as we poached the best striker in the league from a club who were potentially destined for promotion. It was a double win.

I can only imagine how Huddersfield fans must have felt about this. Especially considering what happened in the Premiership the next season.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Which January recruitment has been better? on 23:09 - Apr 7 with 1573 viewsgainsboroughblue

Which January recruitment has been better? on 22:31 - Apr 7 by SE1blue

Marcus Stewart's transfer has always amazed and impressed me as we poached the best striker in the league from a club who were potentially destined for promotion. It was a double win.

I can only imagine how Huddersfield fans must have felt about this. Especially considering what happened in the Premiership the next season.

And Huddersfield themselves were relegated in 2000-01.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 23:13 - Apr 7 with 1556 viewsvilanovablue

It was a statement signing the got us to the prem. A little different to now but at this level a sensational window.
Which January recruitment has been better? on 23:29 - Apr 7 with 1494 viewsParisBlue

I still remember that day, we'd been linked with some uninspiring strixkers, Mark Rivers, Clyde Wiynhard iirc. Then I saw a post on here saying "it's only bloody Marcus Stewart..." and the board went into a frenzy.

Always seemed to score against us before he joined.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 23:43 - Apr 7 with 1450 viewspointofblue

Difficult. If Stewart's signing hadn't worked out we wouldn't have gone up, if he hadn't found his Huddersfield form for us.

But to get four signings as spot on as we did in January takes some doing.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 23:47 - Apr 7 with 1451 viewsPhilTWTD

[pedant]Marcus Stewart wasn't signed in January, there wasn't a transfer window then and he signed in February[/pedant]

This post has been edited by an administrator
Which January recruitment has been better? on 23:53 - Apr 7 with 1394 viewsIllinoisblue

All four have collectively made us 15-20% better. And I still think the best of them all may turn out to be Luongo on a free.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Which January recruitment has been better? on 00:07 - Apr 8 with 1360 viewsTrequartista

Which January recruitment has been better? on 23:47 - Apr 7 by PhilTWTD

[pedant]Marcus Stewart wasn't signed in January, there wasn't a transfer window then and he signed in February[/pedant]

This post has been edited by an administrator

[pedant]*pedant[/pedant]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 00:32 - Apr 8 with 1319 viewsKropotkin123

Stewart's impact by this stage was far less impressive. He had scored a second goal in a 2-0 win against play-off rivals Barnsley and against his former club and play-off rivals Huddersfield. But... Over the next 15 games others (Johnson, Scowcroft, Holland) were more important. They were scoring goals, whilst Stewart scored none. Then Bolton away changed everything. It was the first time we really saw his class. Before then, people questioned whether it was good investment, given his goal scoring return since joining.

It's easy now to say that Bolton was the turning point. But Johnson was still our main man and started the next season as our first choice striker, and it was a few games in that we stumbled into Stewart and Scowcroft being a preferred pairing, partly due to a Johnson injury, if I recall correctly.

So at this point in their respective journeys, I'd say the League one group. But, having seen the full impact of Stewart and not these signings, it is obviously Stewart.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Which January recruitment has been better? on 01:50 - Apr 8 with 1250 viewsParisBlue

Which January recruitment has been better? on 00:32 - Apr 8 by Kropotkin123

Stewart's impact by this stage was far less impressive. He had scored a second goal in a 2-0 win against play-off rivals Barnsley and against his former club and play-off rivals Huddersfield. But... Over the next 15 games others (Johnson, Scowcroft, Holland) were more important. They were scoring goals, whilst Stewart scored none. Then Bolton away changed everything. It was the first time we really saw his class. Before then, people questioned whether it was good investment, given his goal scoring return since joining.

It's easy now to say that Bolton was the turning point. But Johnson was still our main man and started the next season as our first choice striker, and it was a few games in that we stumbled into Stewart and Scowcroft being a preferred pairing, partly due to a Johnson injury, if I recall correctly.

So at this point in their respective journeys, I'd say the League one group. But, having seen the full impact of Stewart and not these signings, it is obviously Stewart.

Marcus looked lost after those first 2 games, the only league goals he scored for us that season. I think he carried an injury for much of his time and missed a few games. I recall against Norwich he was clean through and fluffed his lines badly.

There were a fair few doubters...Bolton away changed all if that of course....

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 03:49 - Apr 8 with 1178 viewspointofblue

Which January recruitment has been better? on 01:50 - Apr 8 by ParisBlue

Marcus looked lost after those first 2 games, the only league goals he scored for us that season. I think he carried an injury for much of his time and missed a few games. I recall against Norwich he was clean through and fluffed his lines badly.

There were a fair few doubters...Bolton away changed all if that of course....

Dare I say, a bit like Hirst until... Bolton away.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 07:02 - Apr 8 with 1061 viewsWestcountryblue

Which January recruitment has been better? on 23:53 - Apr 7 by Illinoisblue

All four have collectively made us 15-20% better. And I still think the best of them all may turn out to be Luongo on a free.

Totally agree, Luongo is the pick of them.
He has improved the spine of our squad significantly and has lightened Morsy's workload.
Which January recruitment has been better? on 07:17 - Apr 8 with 1017 viewsChrisd

Levels for me. So many near misses under George Burley in the Play Offs, the Marcus Stewart signing was inspired. Our recruitment has generally been good under KM, but for me our January business the season we finally got promoted back to the EPL and subsequently what we did the season after is still the best.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 07:31 - Apr 8 with 990 viewscressi

Which January recruitment has been better? on 07:17 - Apr 8 by Chrisd

Levels for me. So many near misses under George Burley in the Play Offs, the Marcus Stewart signing was inspired. Our recruitment has generally been good under KM, but for me our January business the season we finally got promoted back to the EPL and subsequently what we did the season after is still the best.

Irrespective of when Marcus signed not comparable really if we go up both done what they have been brought in for, like comparing footballers from different era's
Although Beattie could have played in any era and look elite
Which January recruitment has been better? on 07:50 - Apr 8 with 947 viewstractordownsouth

I saw a Twitter thread about what the most expensive transfer in Championship history is and a Huddersfield fan replied said it was selling Marcus Stewart because it cost them £40m

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Which January recruitment has been better? on 09:56 - Apr 8 with 742 viewsChrisd

Which January recruitment has been better? on 07:31 - Apr 8 by cressi

Irrespective of when Marcus signed not comparable really if we go up both done what they have been brought in for, like comparing footballers from different era's
Although Beattie could have played in any era and look elite

So, contradicting your initial point Cressi? Like with most football chat, it’s subjective. For me, Stewart’s business was the catalyst for what followed over those next 18-20months.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 12:16 - Apr 8 with 626 viewsSwansea_Blue

Probably this one, partly for all of them working out and they were a little bit more under the radar. We all knew what we were getting with Marcus, albeit not quite how good he would briefly be.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Which January recruitment has been better? on 12:25 - Apr 8 with 605 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Which January recruitment has been better? on 22:22 - Apr 7 by Vic

We’ll know after Fleetwood away.

If we fail to make it up then for all the excitement and fun we’re having it will have been in vain.

Stewart only paid off for us via the play-offs. If we went up through the play-offs this quartet would have had the same overall impact.

I think Broadhead alone could be a signing equivalent to Stewart's. We will need to see their impact next season as well to be sure as the impact Stewart had in the first season in the Premier League was a big part of what he brought to us. However, I think all of our January signings have the potential to be very good players at the level above. If they could take us to the Prem and play for us in it, then they will have been better than Stewart. We are also unlikely to lose all 4 of them to injury at the same time which is where is went wrong with Stewart.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024