Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Ball..... 09:07 - Aug 10 with 8446 viewsITFC_Forever

Anyone managed to touch the match ball?

Always seems to be like feeding time at the zoo when the ball goes in to the crowd, so there is obviously a clamour to achieve this for some fans.

Sitting three-quarters of the way back in the SBRL, chances are pretty limited for me, but I've managed it a couple of times, most memorably in a home game a couple of years ago. Chambers (I think) blazed miles over and it came towards us.... I put my arm up to knock it away, except it went straight up, hit the underside of the upper tier and came down at a rate of knots, hit my brother in the face, knocking his glasses off and breaking them.

Also remember an old guy in the West Stand terrace years ago who took a clearance full in the face, knocking him over... St Johns need to give him some attention after that.

Also a long time ago when we were kids and stood on milk crates at the front of Churchmans, David Lowe had a shot which just missed the post and knocked our smaller mate off his crate and made a muddy splodge on his coat.

Edit: Meant to add that those weird non-league groundhopper types have a sub-category where the groundhopper can't tick the ground off that he's at unless they have touched the match ball. Although given these matches usually only have crowds of a couple of hundred, I should imagine it's relatively easy to achieve. Although I can imagine the panic if he's getting in to the last 10 minutes and still hasn't managed it!
[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 9:13]

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Match Ball..... on 09:23 - Aug 10 with 5828 viewsfactual_blue

Jonathan Douglas did.

Once.

Allegedly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Match Ball..... on 09:25 - Aug 10 with 5820 viewsSteve_M

I watched a game at Underhill once (against Darlington I think) and a clearance smacked some bloke in the side stand right in the face from about three metres. His mate thought it was absolutely hilarious, as did most other people.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Match Ball..... on 09:27 - Aug 10 with 5798 viewshomer_123

Match Ball..... on 09:25 - Aug 10 by Steve_M

I watched a game at Underhill once (against Darlington I think) and a clearance smacked some bloke in the side stand right in the face from about three metres. His mate thought it was absolutely hilarious, as did most other people.

Even from 3 meters.....poor reactions I'd say, quite right to laugh.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Match Ball..... on 09:42 - Aug 10 with 5750 viewsRIPbobby

I have never touched it. I've been going since about 82 and never managed it. Unbelievable really.
Match Ball..... on 09:52 - Aug 10 with 5722 viewsJakeITFC

First game I went to when I was a kid, I stood up to try and catch the ball and then was petrified of it coming back to hit me on the back of the head coming back so I kind of bent over forwards (it made sense at the time). Cue somebody throwing the ball back and it clocking me right on the head.

Later on, I used to sit in the lower Cobbold next to the North Stand so got the ball quite often. Great memories of abusing long throw and corner takers down there, Rory Delap was especially good fun.
Match Ball..... on 09:53 - Aug 10 with 5721 viewsitfcjoe

I was really hungover and caught it at back of North Stand, when I threw it back it just hit the bottom of the upper tier and just bounced straight back and I looked like a right plonker

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Match Ball..... on 09:53 - Aug 10 with 5719 viewsITFC_Forever

Match Ball..... on 09:42 - Aug 10 by RIPbobby

I have never touched it. I've been going since about 82 and never managed it. Unbelievable really.

I've only managed it 4 or 5 times in the same time period as well.

I guess there must be optimum areas to sit in to maximise your chances, behind the goals or the lower tier of the side stands will obviously be more likely than the upper tiers.

Match Ball..... on 09:56 - Aug 10 with 5690 views05Jchamb

Never touched an actual match ball but do have an ITFC match standard ball that I retrieved from the bushes behind the goal after the warm up at Newmarket in preseason about 8-10 years ago. Gone a bit flat now.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Ball..... on 09:56 - Aug 10 with 5690 viewsITFC_Forever

Match Ball..... on 09:52 - Aug 10 by JakeITFC

First game I went to when I was a kid, I stood up to try and catch the ball and then was petrified of it coming back to hit me on the back of the head coming back so I kind of bent over forwards (it made sense at the time). Cue somebody throwing the ball back and it clocking me right on the head.

Later on, I used to sit in the lower Cobbold next to the North Stand so got the ball quite often. Great memories of abusing long throw and corner takers down there, Rory Delap was especially good fun.

Me and my mates have a rule, when the ball goes in to the crowd, if the person who throws it back can't reach the pitch from where they sit (and it therefore risks hitting someone on the back of the head), they should move forwards in the stand to somewhere where they can manage it.

The club should ensure all supporters can reach the pitch with a ball from their seat before they sell them their ticket.

Match Ball..... on 09:57 - Aug 10 with 5691 viewsRadlett_blue

Some twits near me at Luton thought it was a great idea to hang on to it during the 2nd half yesterday after a Town shot flew over.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Match Ball..... on 09:58 - Aug 10 with 5682 viewsITFC_Forever

Match Ball..... on 09:57 - Aug 10 by Radlett_blue

Some twits near me at Luton thought it was a great idea to hang on to it during the 2nd half yesterday after a Town shot flew over.

Yep, saw them, they were the next block over from us and the same idiots who were signing the Fash song.

Match Ball..... on 10:01 - Aug 10 with 5658 viewsSitfcB

I caught it once in lower Britannia, we were winning 1-0 I think and the crowd behind me encouraged me to throw it into/towards the North Stand to waste time, which I did.

I've also managed to head the ball back into play, Bournemouth away when we drew 2-2, ball bounced out and I headed it first time and got the customary WHEYYYY.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Match Ball..... on 10:04 - Aug 10 with 5640 viewsFixed_It

Match Ball..... on 09:53 - Aug 10 by ITFC_Forever

I've only managed it 4 or 5 times in the same time period as well.

I guess there must be optimum areas to sit in to maximise your chances, behind the goals or the lower tier of the side stands will obviously be more likely than the upper tiers.

Always wanted to, but my chances in SARU are pretty limited, and even less since we let Shefki leave.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Match Ball..... on 10:04 - Aug 10 with 5636 viewsSitfcB

Sheffield United away a few years back, pre match warm up shooting practice, ball came flying over the goal and knocked this poor blokes glasses off his face and they flew two or three rows behind him! Felt like the whole away stand saw it and we're all pissing themselves, which he was too.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Match Ball..... on 10:05 - Aug 10 with 5641 viewsuncle

At Crewe once I popped to the loo, and on my way out, the ball flew at me. Cool as you like, I headed it straight back onto the pitch. Great moment.
Not so great was me falling flat on my face tripping over a step because I was watching the ball fly back.
I got stick for years, nobody remembered my fantastic header.
Match Ball..... on 10:17 - Aug 10 with 5590 viewsbluefunk

Caught the ball in a home game vs Norwich, Robert Fleck asked me to throw it to him and childishly, I didn't.

I also remember a game, maybe in the 80's against Middlesborough, where they were chasing the game attacking the NS. In injury time the ball went out near the corner flag into the Cobbold and a guy went to hand it back only to whip it away from the Boro player, two or three times IIRC.

When the game finished, the Boro player went looking for him and had to be dragged away by his team mates - amused me anyway
Match Ball..... on 10:19 - Aug 10 with 5574 viewsITFC_Forever

Match Ball..... on 10:17 - Aug 10 by bluefunk

Caught the ball in a home game vs Norwich, Robert Fleck asked me to throw it to him and childishly, I didn't.

I also remember a game, maybe in the 80's against Middlesborough, where they were chasing the game attacking the NS. In injury time the ball went out near the corner flag into the Cobbold and a guy went to hand it back only to whip it away from the Boro player, two or three times IIRC.

When the game finished, the Boro player went looking for him and had to be dragged away by his team mates - amused me anyway

Nothing childish about that....!

If it was me I'd throw it as far as I could on to the pitch past the player to waste time.

Match Ball..... on 10:22 - Aug 10 with 5548 viewsbluefunk

Match Ball..... on 10:19 - Aug 10 by ITFC_Forever

Nothing childish about that....!

If it was me I'd throw it as far as I could on to the pitch past the player to waste time.

I threw it at 90 degrees from him, funnily enough I really like Robert Fleck post budgie obviously, for his ability to laught it all.
Match Ball..... on 10:31 - Aug 10 with 5517 viewsfactual_blue

Match Ball..... on 10:17 - Aug 10 by bluefunk

Ah!! I remember that too! Mid 70s I think. Boro were then Jack Charlton's exciting draw experts.

TWTD

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Match Ball..... on 10:41 - Aug 10 with 5487 viewsKieran_Knows

Match Ball..... on 09:56 - Aug 10 by 05Jchamb

Never touched an actual match ball but do have an ITFC match standard ball that I retrieved from the bushes behind the goal after the warm up at Newmarket in preseason about 8-10 years ago. Gone a bit flat now.

When I was working with my old company, one of the chaps who I worked with, his house backs on to the Playford Road training pitches, and he used to get no end of footballs get kicked etc in to his garden. He didn't like football, so he ended up giving me a few of them.

Was a few of these ones! Like yourself, they've all gone a bit flat now.
https://goo.gl/images/1WvXCd

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Match Ball..... on 10:46 - Aug 10 with 5466 viewsDubtractor

I once got a nose bleed from it.

Standing in churchmans, early 90s, someone (I think Brennan) skied a penalty to the back of the stand. I turned round to see where ball was, just at the point someone threw it back. Caught square in the face and hurt like hell. Blood everywhere.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Match Ball..... on 11:28 - Aug 10 with 5351 viewshoppy

Match Ball..... on 10:04 - Aug 10 by Fixed_It

Always wanted to, but my chances in SARU are pretty limited, and even less since we let Shefki leave.

You spelt 'Nouble' wrongly.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Match Ball..... on 11:35 - Aug 10 with 5312 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Not at Portman road but at Dagenham once during the half time long passing practice from the subs the ball was overhit straight into the terrace. I miraculously managed to keep the ball up with three keepy uppies before flicking it over the barrier.

I earnt my cheer from the Dagenham faithful with that one

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Match Ball..... on 11:40 - Aug 10 with 5299 viewsgainsboroughblue

I got hit by it in the Churchmans as a youngster. A wayward Alan Sunderland shot from memory.

I also kept hold of the ball in the North Stand and Mark Schwarzer of Bradford was waiting in his penalty area for me to throw it back. I motioned to throw it, then simply placed it the other side of the advertising hoardings so he had to fetch it. It made a few people cheer/laugh and Schwarzer smiled.

[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 11:41]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Match Ball..... on 11:43 - Aug 10 with 5282 views05Jchamb

Match Ball..... on 10:41 - Aug 10 by Kieran_Knows

When I was working with my old company, one of the chaps who I worked with, his house backs on to the Playford Road training pitches, and he used to get no end of footballs get kicked etc in to his garden. He didn't like football, so he ended up giving me a few of them.

Was a few of these ones! Like yourself, they've all gone a bit flat now.
https://goo.gl/images/1WvXCd

Yup that looks like the one I have. I remember being surprised how different they are to the £15 jobbies you can buy in town.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024