Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas 16:24 - Jan 21 with 3363 viewsNutkins_Return

I know it was a bit step by step putting in the right data driven team but we've seen really no action from overseas. Surely we must be looking for a striker elsewhere as everyone is after the same players here.

Coventry seem to be using the international market well.
Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:30 - Jan 21 with 2898 viewsNthQldITFC

If we're being cautious about major investments in overseas players without the full infrastructure we want in place, I understand that, it makes good sense.

But I don't see why we shouldn't have a speculative low risk punt or two on, perhaps, young, cheapish Scandinavian or Dutch players if that helps with cultural integration (which is probably a bit of an outdated viewpoint, I realise.)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:36 - Jan 21 with 2841 viewsNutkins_Return

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:30 - Jan 21 by NthQldITFC

If we're being cautious about major investments in overseas players without the full infrastructure we want in place, I understand that, it makes good sense.

But I don't see why we shouldn't have a speculative low risk punt or two on, perhaps, young, cheapish Scandinavian or Dutch players if that helps with cultural integration (which is probably a bit of an outdated viewpoint, I realise.)

I think we've ended up ahead of our strategy i.e. this season was about doing well in the champ and trying to get too 10-12 place with some good performances from sellable assets like Davis etc. Sell on in the summer and have a transfer chest to push on and repeat. This might be when we start to dip into cheaper markets I suppose.

It's been a tad disappointing not to see us unearth a few gems from overseas but in the grand scheme of things we've had so much positive change you just can't argue. Will be interesting to see if we do more of this.
Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:41 - Jan 21 with 2799 viewsHerbivore

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:36 - Jan 21 by Nutkins_Return

I think we've ended up ahead of our strategy i.e. this season was about doing well in the champ and trying to get too 10-12 place with some good performances from sellable assets like Davis etc. Sell on in the summer and have a transfer chest to push on and repeat. This might be when we start to dip into cheaper markets I suppose.

It's been a tad disappointing not to see us unearth a few gems from overseas but in the grand scheme of things we've had so much positive change you just can't argue. Will be interesting to see if we do more of this.

Thing is, the rules on signing foreign players - until very recently - meant it was a market that wasn't going to be accessible to us at all in League 1. I am sure we've been looking at strengthening that area of our recruitment network but these things take time to properly embed. Think the January window is also a tricky one to bring in and properly integrate players from overseas, they won't have the benefit of preseason to settle in and adapt and we really need players who can hit the ground running.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:52 - Jan 21 with 2728 viewsFrimleyBlue

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:41 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

Thing is, the rules on signing foreign players - until very recently - meant it was a market that wasn't going to be accessible to us at all in League 1. I am sure we've been looking at strengthening that area of our recruitment network but these things take time to properly embed. Think the January window is also a tricky one to bring in and properly integrate players from overseas, they won't have the benefit of preseason to settle in and adapt and we really need players who can hit the ground running.

As mentioned the other day tho speed of promotion isn't am excuse really. Promotion was the expectation of the owners and we spent for it.. so you'd have thought the overseas bit would have been fast tracked alongside this especially with some of the contacts we have abroad.

Whilst they're not the highest level and no idea how good or bad they are but when plymouth are dipping their toes into the foreign market. We don't really have any excuses for why we can't.

It's actually quite surprising we haven't with the English player tax and the money saving you seem to be able to make.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 17:00 - Jan 21 with 2684 viewsHerbivore

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:52 - Jan 21 by FrimleyBlue

As mentioned the other day tho speed of promotion isn't am excuse really. Promotion was the expectation of the owners and we spent for it.. so you'd have thought the overseas bit would have been fast tracked alongside this especially with some of the contacts we have abroad.

Whilst they're not the highest level and no idea how good or bad they are but when plymouth are dipping their toes into the foreign market. We don't really have any excuses for why we can't.

It's actually quite surprising we haven't with the English player tax and the money saving you seem to be able to make.

The rules that made it viable to sign foreign players - even as a Championship side - only changed last summer. There's a lot of hindsight going on here. When Gamechanger first came in we had practically no recruitment team to speak of and it took some time to get that in place. The idea we should have immediately expanded it to include overseas recruitment during a period when it would have been very, very, very difficult to sign foreign players is a bit fanciful.

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 17:14 - Jan 21 with 2634 viewsunstableblue

Similar to NthQld’s point there was an Ashton/McKenna interview where international market transfers were discussed.

They focussed on the risk of foreign recruits not settling in a new country and becoming effective quickly, as a factor. As in you need extra staff, new ways of working.

Didn’t sense it was a direction we were going for a while.

But foreign market gambling may mean we can get the £4m striker we need (UK market value) for the £1.5m we have.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 17:26 - Jan 21 with 2577 viewsRegencyBlue

More likely in the summer window I would think. For now we need someone who will hit the ground running without needing to acclimatise to football over here.

It’s certainly an area we don’t seem to be exploiting as an outsider looking in though.
Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 17:55 - Jan 21 with 2494 viewsLord_Lucan

I heard about a month ago from a "source" that we are looking at a German.

************* Taps nose

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 18:27 - Jan 21 with 2344 viewsBlueBadger

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 17:55 - Jan 21 by Lord_Lucan

I heard about a month ago from a "source" that we are looking at a German.

************* Taps nose

Wouldn't be the wurst place to be looking.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 18:43 - Jan 21 with 2264 viewsSwansea_Blue

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 17:00 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

The rules that made it viable to sign foreign players - even as a Championship side - only changed last summer. There's a lot of hindsight going on here. When Gamechanger first came in we had practically no recruitment team to speak of and it took some time to get that in place. The idea we should have immediately expanded it to include overseas recruitment during a period when it would have been very, very, very difficult to sign foreign players is a bit fanciful.

There’s also a lot of hypothesising and assumptions. I doubt any of us on here know what’s going on behind the scenes. And any of us who do won’t be blabbing about it on the board. So we could well be looking at the foreign market.

And as you say, the recent rule change will have had an effect. We won’t have been wasting our time previously on players we’d have had no chance of getting a work permit for.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 18:53 - Jan 21 with 2222 viewsHerbivore

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 18:43 - Jan 21 by Swansea_Blue

There’s also a lot of hypothesising and assumptions. I doubt any of us on here know what’s going on behind the scenes. And any of us who do won’t be blabbing about it on the board. So we could well be looking at the foreign market.

And as you say, the recent rule change will have had an effect. We won’t have been wasting our time previously on players we’d have had no chance of getting a work permit for.

Indeed, prior to last summer (although the change was mooted sooner) it would have been a waste of effort to look for overseas players as pretty much all of the ones who would want to join us and we could afford wouldn't have been eligible for a work permit. Clubs that have started using that market probably already had the infrastructure in place having not spent a decade under Marcus Evans' ownership.

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 19:38 - Jan 21 with 2128 viewsNthQldITFC

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 18:27 - Jan 21 by BlueBadger

Needs to be a good player and a happy soul to fit in with our team. Don't need to be signing anyone sour.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 19:46 - Jan 21 with 2082 viewsSE1blue

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 18:27 - Jan 21 by BlueBadger

But we don’t need some fallen Madonna who turns out to be a big booby.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 19:59 - Jan 21 with 2013 viewsjayessess

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:52 - Jan 21 by FrimleyBlue

When you look at the overseas business that our competitors have done this season within our price range, I can see why we're sticking domestic for now.

Basically no-one has signed a striker from a foreign league who's had an instant impact commensurate with their price tag. Some of them will probably kick on and be good value signings (I thought Latte Lath looked like he had potential for Middlesbrough), but we're not in a position to wait whilst someone gets used to the league.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 14:44 - Jan 22 with 1588 viewsWickets

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 17:00 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

But Frimley makes a good point regards Plymouth managing to do it !
Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 14:56 - Jan 22 with 1513 viewsHerbivore

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 14:44 - Jan 22 by Wickets

But Frimley makes a good point regards Plymouth managing to do it !

Did Plymouth also get taken over 3 years ago and have to build their recruitment infrastructure more or less from scratch?

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:32 - Jan 22 with 1391 viewsFrimleyBlue

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 14:56 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

Did Plymouth also get taken over 3 years ago and have to build their recruitment infrastructure more or less from scratch?

2018. And based on people saying why both with a scouting network abroad when you can't sign them ( Point rules et ). they've had the same time as us to set one up haven't they? With less resources. Plus went down to league 2 where you'd say they'd have no thoughts on looking abroad.

Waka waka eh eh

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:43 - Jan 22 with 1350 viewsWickets

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 14:56 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

I have no idea what goes on at Plymouth but seems strange they can and as yet we can't no biggie just an observation.
Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:45 - Jan 22 with 1333 viewsHerbivore

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:32 - Jan 22 by FrimleyBlue

2018. And based on people saying why both with a scouting network abroad when you can't sign them ( Point rules et ). they've had the same time as us to set one up haven't they? With less resources. Plus went down to league 2 where you'd say they'd have no thoughts on looking abroad.

So under their current ownership they've had twice as long to develop their recruitment network. Thanks for clarifying.

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:46 - Jan 22 with 1328 viewstractorboy1978

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:32 - Jan 22 by FrimleyBlue

I'd hardly say they've got a sophisticated scouting system set up though. They've signed a couple of strikers that their fans think are pretty cr@p at this level and a defender that spent the first 6 years of his career at Arsenal, so presumably they knew a bit about anyway.

I'm sure we *could* sign players from abroad but it seems we are choosing not to at the moment as McKenna likes to sign players he knows inside out, both in terms of on pitch attributes and off pitch personality. It's served us well so far.
Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:47 - Jan 22 with 1312 viewsFrimleyBlue

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:45 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

So under their current ownership they've had twice as long to develop their recruitment network. Thanks for clarifying.

But why would that matter? One arguments been that there's been no reason to have one set up as the rules only changed in the summer. If that's the argument being put forward does it matter if you've had 10 years 20 or 3. If it wasn't needed why set it up?

If you agree that it's good to have It set up. Then great we agree.

Waka waka eh eh

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:53 - Jan 22 with 1289 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:47 - Jan 22 by FrimleyBlue

But why would that matter? One arguments been that there's been no reason to have one set up as the rules only changed in the summer. If that's the argument being put forward does it matter if you've had 10 years 20 or 3. If it wasn't needed why set it up?

If you agree that it's good to have It set up. Then great we agree.

Are you seriously asking why it matters that they've had twice as much time? You do understand manifesting things into reality doesn't actually work. Things take time.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:59 - Jan 22 with 1242 viewsFrimleyBlue

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:53 - Jan 22 by JammyDodgerrr

Are you seriously asking why it matters that they've had twice as much time? You do understand manifesting things into reality doesn't actually work. Things take time.

No I'm not asking that at all.

I was saying based on the earlier posts about there not being a need for a foreign scouting network.. if that's true and there was no need, why does it then matter if you had twice as much time? It's something which is being said as not needed and not worth setting up as the rules didn't change until the summer.

As said in the original thread too. We don't know what we've got set up. My argument ie solely around those who have said we didn't need one so why set one up.
If say being in league 2 would be even more of a lesser reason to do so no?

Waka waka eh eh

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:05 - Jan 22 with 1214 viewsHerbivore

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 15:59 - Jan 22 by FrimleyBlue

No I'm not asking that at all.

I was saying based on the earlier posts about there not being a need for a foreign scouting network.. if that's true and there was no need, why does it then matter if you had twice as much time? It's something which is being said as not needed and not worth setting up as the rules didn't change until the summer.

As said in the original thread too. We don't know what we've got set up. My argument ie solely around those who have said we didn't need one so why set one up.
If say being in league 2 would be even more of a lesser reason to do so no?

You don't seem to be able to understand the difference between past and present tense. I can't see that anyone has said that we don't need an overseas scouting network. What was actually said was that until comparatively recently, the overseas market was effectively closed off to a club like us and so it wouldn't have been worthwhile trying to rush in an overseas network whilst we're still in the process of rebuilding our domestic recruitment infrastructure. The reason Plymouth could adapt more quickly (assuming that's why they did) is because they have had twice as long to sort out having a proper recruitment set up. I'm not sure what you're struggling to grasp here.

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:13 - Jan 22 with 1177 viewsFrimleyBlue

Presumably we are scouting and looking overseas on 16:05 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

You don't seem to be able to understand the difference between past and present tense. I can't see that anyone has said that we don't need an overseas scouting network. What was actually said was that until comparatively recently, the overseas market was effectively closed off to a club like us and so it wouldn't have been worthwhile trying to rush in an overseas network whilst we're still in the process of rebuilding our domestic recruitment infrastructure. The reason Plymouth could adapt more quickly (assuming that's why they did) is because they have had twice as long to sort out having a proper recruitment set up. I'm not sure what you're struggling to grasp here.

I agree no one has said we now don't need one now.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024