Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player Trading 06:09 - Nov 4 with 3331 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

None of us want to lose any of our best players, but we have to accept that player trading will be part of our strategy.

As well as playing entertaining football, KMc has also managed increase the value of our squad from zilch to £££s, now that the players he inherited are performing in the Championship.

Walton, Hladky, Burgess, Baggott, Woolfy, Edmondson, JD, Humphreys, Morsy, Chaplin, Burns, Jackson have all improved under McKenna. Davis and Broadhead have also increased in value.

I can see us receiving bids for some of these players that are too good to turn down, as we attempt to navigate FFP. Let's just hope that Ashton and McKenna stay aligned in their thinking.
Player Trading on 07:55 - Nov 4 with 2606 viewsBloomBlue

I think we could have a situation where a team like Leicester or Leeds put in a big bid for a Davis or Broadhead. If Davis continues with his 'assists' record a team like Leicester might see him as the final jigsaw piece they need to get them over the promotion line and offer a £millions bid. Similar with Leeds and possibly Broadhead, we've seen Leeds aren't afraid to spend millions in this league.
Now whether we would be prepared to sell, or they would want to move is another question.
Player Trading on 08:00 - Nov 4 with 2579 viewsDubtractor

Player Trading on 07:55 - Nov 4 by BloomBlue

I think we could have a situation where a team like Leicester or Leeds put in a big bid for a Davis or Broadhead. If Davis continues with his 'assists' record a team like Leicester might see him as the final jigsaw piece they need to get them over the promotion line and offer a £millions bid. Similar with Leeds and possibly Broadhead, we've seen Leeds aren't afraid to spend millions in this league.
Now whether we would be prepared to sell, or they would want to move is another question.

It would be an interesting test in January wouldn't it?

Selling players to big bids in the Summer feels like an inevitability, but would we entertain losing a key player to a rival in January? Even if the fee was tempting?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Player Trading on 08:10 - Nov 4 with 2511 viewstractorboy1978

Player Trading on 08:00 - Nov 4 by Dubtractor

Selling players to big bids in the Summer feels like an inevitability, but would we entertain losing a key player to a rival in January? Even if the fee was tempting?

No is the answer you are looking for!
Player Trading on 08:15 - Nov 4 with 2471 viewsDubtractor

Player Trading on 08:10 - Nov 4 by tractorboy1978

No is the answer you are looking for!

I would assume and hope so!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Player Trading on 08:18 - Nov 4 with 2462 viewsgosblue

I could see us cashing in on Walton and Clarke but I hope not. Maybe loan them out in January along with Humphreys and Baggot to make room in the squad for a title push.
Player Trading on 08:41 - Nov 4 with 2396 viewsArnieM

Player Trading on 08:18 - Nov 4 by gosblue

I could see us cashing in on Walton and Clarke but I hope not. Maybe loan them out in January along with Humphreys and Baggot to make room in the squad for a title push.

I suggested a couple of months ago that maybe Walton might consider a move if he couldn’t get his place in the team back on a regular basis and might not want to be a bench warmer. I was told I didn’t understand the game by a certain individual! Suspect you might get a similar comment from him now….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Player Trading on 08:47 - Nov 4 with 2364 viewsSwansea_Blue

I can’t see us agreeing to sell arguably our two best players to league rivals in Jan. Not the way our season is going. If we don’t go up, then maybe in the summer. I’d like to think we’d get PL interest (and prices) too.

Who knows though. I think it’s clear we will have to make profits on player trading and you can’t always control where and when there’s interest.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Player Trading on 08:48 - Nov 4 with 2353 viewsnorfsufblue

Player Trading on 08:15 - Nov 4 by Dubtractor

I would assume and hope so!

I'm more interested in whom we might pinch of our rivals to bolster our chances ala Marcus Stewart!.. . .. I doubt there will wholesale changes this window but who knows... I trust our manager and keeping him is more important than any current player
Login to get fewer ads

Player Trading on 08:57 - Nov 4 with 2333 viewsNthQldITFC

There are three separate questions to answer, I think.

1. Would Gamechanger want to cash in for a relatively small return on part of their large investment at a time when we are close to promotion to the Premier League and that player would be an important part of getting over the line?

2. Do ITFC need to generate a profit in order to provide funds for crucial new purchases because Gamechanger wouldn't provide those funds? - again when we are close to promotion to the Premier League (which might not even be relevant in this question.)

3. Do ITFC need to sell to make space in FFP terms for crucial new purchases?

For me, the answers are:

1. No chance
2. No chance
3. I don't know, I don't understand it, can someone explain to me? (can we go into the red and correct it with potential player sales next window/season?)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Player Trading on 09:08 - Nov 4 with 2253 viewstractorboy1978

Player Trading on 08:57 - Nov 4 by NthQldITFC

1. Would Gamechanger want to cash in for a relatively small return on part of their large investment at a time when we are close to promotion to the Premier League and that player would be an important part of getting over the line?

2. Do ITFC need to generate a profit in order to provide funds for crucial new purchases because Gamechanger wouldn't provide those funds? - again when we are close to promotion to the Premier League (which might not even be relevant in this question.)

For me, the answers are:

1. No chance
2. No chance
3. I don't know, I don't understand it, can someone explain to me? (can we go into the red and correct it with potential player sales next window/season?)

Re 3, yes we can. You can lose up to £39m over 3 seasons. There is no chance we sell Broadhead or Davis to Leicester or Leeds in January. If we don't go up Davis will be going for £15m+ in the summer to a Premier League club.
Player Trading on 09:15 - Nov 4 with 2212 viewsSwansea_Blue

For me, the answers are:

1. No chance
2. No chance

2. Yes, sadly. FFP and all that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Player Trading on 09:23 - Nov 4 with 2185 viewsNthQldITFC

Player Trading on 09:08 - Nov 4 by tractorboy1978

Re 3, yes we can. You can lose up to £39m over 3 seasons. There is no chance we sell Broadhead or Davis to Leicester or Leeds in January. If we don't go up Davis will be going for £15m+ in the summer to a Premier League club.

Is it the case then, in an example scenario we lost something like £13m in each of the last three years (to take us up to the limit of £39m), we haven't just got the £13m (loss from 3 years ago, that's fallen out the back of the 3 year period) to play with this time?

I presume we can go a bit beyond that by structuring payments into the next few seasons (with the agreement of selling clubs), although we'll have to then sell to cover those or get promoted within a couple of years?

Is that, in simple terms, pretty much how it works?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Player Trading on 09:26 - Nov 4 with 2176 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Realistically. on 17:34 - Nov 3 with 87 views LegendofthePhoenix

The level of success we are enjoying so far has probably forced something of a rethink. Had we been mid table, I would have expected some of our more valuable assets (e.g. Davis, Broadhead) to be sold for £5M - £10M, and the money invested in young players for around £1M- £2M each. However, that isn't where we are. We cannot deny that we have a very realistic chance of Premier League football next season. Which completely changes the finances. It means instead of selling our most valuable assets, we should keep them and upgrade 6 or 7 of the weakest players in the squad with players as good as or better than the best players in the squad. We could wait to the summer, but if Nov and Dec do well and we maintain the gap at 8-10 points then I could see some big changes again in January, as last year but the next level up.

Sorry I don't know how you link/paste any earlier post into a new thread, but I posted this yesterday.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 9:28]

Poll: would you rather

Player Trading on 09:28 - Nov 4 with 2163 viewswkj

Pay close attention to Brighton, as I suspect we will be taking a lot of cues from them

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Player Trading on 09:33 - Nov 4 with 2146 viewsSimonds92

I dont think we'll need to worry about the summer, we'll have more clout as a prem club, but I imagine the summer after that is where we might start to see the sort of 30-40m bids from Chelsea for Leif.
Player Trading on 10:00 - Nov 4 with 2055 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Player Trading on 09:33 - Nov 4 by Simonds92

I dont think we'll need to worry about the summer, we'll have more clout as a prem club, but I imagine the summer after that is where we might start to see the sort of 30-40m bids from Chelsea for Leif.

Chelsea?…pffftt he should at least go to a mid table Prem team or better…
Player Trading on 10:07 - Nov 4 with 2041 viewscressi

Really I don't see see them moving to any other championship club sideways move. Dont disagree if a mid Premiership club came in with good money. Not clubs like Luton Burnley as we could be swapping places. X
Player Trading on 10:18 - Nov 4 with 1983 viewsSmithersJones

This could be a situation where the fact that we share the goals round helps us to retain players in the January window. Unlikely that a team is going to pay big money for a left back in that window, but if we had a striker who was already on, say, 12 goals for the season I’d be more worried. That said, if Chaplin or Broadhead went on a November scoring spree I wouldn’t complain!
Player Trading on 10:25 - Nov 4 with 1941 viewsgosblue

For me, the answers are:

1. No chance
2. No chance

All valid points but I think it’s more a case of making room in the squad for a title push. I think we still need an experienced CB, a CM and a striker. Walton could go out to get game time ready for being our No1 in the Prem. Teams at the top of L1 would love some of our surplus on loan. Tbf I thought Harness would go out after a dip in form but he’s proving himself well worthy of a start should Broadhead or Chappers get injured. Well done Harness and a lesson to others.
Player Trading on 10:32 - Nov 4 with 1917 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Player Trading on 08:41 - Nov 4 by ArnieM

I suggested a couple of months ago that maybe Walton might consider a move if he couldn’t get his place in the team back on a regular basis and might not want to be a bench warmer. I was told I didn’t understand the game by a certain individual! Suspect you might get a similar comment from him now….

If Slicker is considered ready, and the bid for Walton large enough, then it *might* be considered.

But the riches obtained through promotion to the Premier League are so great that it would be an unnecessary gamble to sell one of two experienced goalkeepers in the middle of the season. We play a very particular style of football from the back and the goalkeeper has to completely comfortable with it. It would be more difficult than for many clubs to bring in a keeper who doesn't know the defence.

So, whilst every player has their price, the cost to Ipswich would inflate the value of whoever is the second choice goalkeeper at that point beyond what any other club will be willing to pay.
Player Trading on 10:34 - Nov 4 with 1913 viewsHerbivore

Much as I rate Broadhead I can't see him getting in ahead of the likes of Georgino Rutter, Piroe, Gnonto, and Summerville. Leeds have loads of attacking talent at their disposal already.

If we are still in and around the top 2 in January I think the chances of selling our best players to promotion rivals are very, very slim. If a Prem side offers silly money for Davis that's a different story but I can't see us selling to direct competitors.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Player Trading on 10:41 - Nov 4 with 1871 viewsLeoMuff

Would be a very big mistake to sell to a rival in Jan, especially as it’s highly likely there might be premier league interest.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Player Trading on 10:44 - Nov 4 with 1861 viewsTrequartista

I don't think we will get many bids, we're seen as a well coached unit rather than one with superstars. Certainly we aren't going to sell to a Championship rival, and only 1 or 2 would have the money anyway, so it would be bids from Premier League teams that we would be vulnerable to, and most of them prefer to buy international players, there's not really a big flow of Championship players moving up.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Player Trading on 10:49 - Nov 4 with 1831 viewsmonty_radio

Player Trading on 10:34 - Nov 4 by Herbivore

Much as I rate Broadhead I can't see him getting in ahead of the likes of Georgino Rutter, Piroe, Gnonto, and Summerville. Leeds have loads of attacking talent at their disposal already.

If we are still in and around the top 2 in January I think the chances of selling our best players to promotion rivals are very, very slim. If a Prem side offers silly money for Davis that's a different story but I can't see us selling to direct competitors.

I think Davis might well be the subject of January bids from low-middling Prem sides, but not, as yet, from anyone higher. The way that he was skinned for Plymouth's second goal would not pass unnoticed. I hope for his sake, he manages to better the superb career of Cresswell. Leif is more athletic, although not as unerring with the killer pass. With Cressie, it was the lack of recovery speed that placed a ceiling on him. That won't be Leif's problem, but getting regularly turned certainly would dictate who considered a bid and who didn't.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Player Trading on 10:51 - Nov 4 with 1823 viewsMookamoo

Player Trading on 10:32 - Nov 4 by ArnoldMoorhen

If Slicker is considered ready, and the bid for Walton large enough, then it *might* be considered.

But the riches obtained through promotion to the Premier League are so great that it would be an unnecessary gamble to sell one of two experienced goalkeepers in the middle of the season. We play a very particular style of football from the back and the goalkeeper has to completely comfortable with it. It would be more difficult than for many clubs to bring in a keeper who doesn't know the defence.

So, whilst every player has their price, the cost to Ipswich would inflate the value of whoever is the second choice goalkeeper at that point beyond what any other club will be willing to pay.

Can't see any of the keepers moving in January, but we will have a decision to make over the Summer

I thought both were out of contract in the summer. But with an option on Walton - or am I wrong?

Hladky has taken his chance and will want his money and a 3 year deal wherever he ends up
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024