Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the referee is changed 12:16 - Apr 13 with 2773 viewsTrequartista

then Plymouth would have cause for complaint as he was in charge of one of their games recently (and sent off one of their opponents players)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

If the referee is changed on 12:19 - Apr 13 with 2408 viewsJ2BLUE

By the sounds of it he told their manager he was a Sheff Wed fan before the game. They can't complain now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If the referee is changed on 12:28 - Apr 13 with 2330 viewstractordownsouth

They won the game 2-0, so there's no reason for them to complain.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

If the referee is changed on 12:29 - Apr 13 with 2328 viewshomer_123

If the referee is changed on 12:19 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

By the sounds of it he told their manager he was a Sheff Wed fan before the game. They can't complain now.

Well, they could still complain....nothing stopping them...but would be churlish now.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If the referee is changed on 12:29 - Apr 13 with 2331 viewsIllinoisblue

I very much doubt the EFL will change the appointment now. They’ll waffle on about high standards of integrity and how they can’t change refs every time there’s a perceived clash of who the ref supports.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If the referee is changed on 12:31 - Apr 13 with 2311 viewsPhilTWTD

If the referee is changed on 12:29 - Apr 13 by Illinoisblue

I very much doubt the EFL will change the appointment now. They’ll waffle on about high standards of integrity and how they can’t change refs every time there’s a perceived clash of who the ref supports.

I don't really see there's any way they can't. They've put him in an impossible position. If I was him I might pick up a hamstring if they don't change it.
If the referee is changed on 12:37 - Apr 13 with 2241 viewsAsa

If the referee is changed on 12:31 - Apr 13 by PhilTWTD

I don't really see there's any way they can't. They've put him in an impossible position. If I was him I might pick up a hamstring if they don't change it.

Very unfair on the referee.

Forgetting our own concerns, and those of Charlton, the referee is put in an impossible position as you say.

A professional, who has worked his way up and does his best in a league where mistakes are made constantly.

If he gives Charlton anything then he's a Wednesday fan and biased. If he gives us anything he's overcompensating.

Either way he's unfairly accused of being unprofessional or cheating if he gets anything slightly wrong or even something right that others feel is wrong.

He's being hung out to dry by the EFL on this one, who have inexplicably put him in this situation when he's been open about his club allegiance. They risk harming his career with a load of baseless allegations either way. The guy simply can't win.
If the referee is changed on 12:46 - Apr 13 with 2142 viewsIllinoisblue

The ref is certainly in an awkward position, but won’t this open a can of worms if they change it for us? Can’t recall a ref ever being changed before although have heard grumbles from Liverpool fans about a ref (Atwell?) who’s supposedly a Man Utd fan.

62 - 78 - 81

If the referee is changed on 12:47 - Apr 13 with 2116 viewsberkstractorboy

If the referee is changed on 12:37 - Apr 13 by Asa

Forgetting our own concerns, and those of Charlton, the referee is put in an impossible position as you say.

A professional, who has worked his way up and does his best in a league where mistakes are made constantly.

If he gives Charlton anything then he's a Wednesday fan and biased. If he gives us anything he's overcompensating.

Either way he's unfairly accused of being unprofessional or cheating if he gets anything slightly wrong or even something right that others feel is wrong.

He's being hung out to dry by the EFL on this one, who have inexplicably put him in this situation when he's been open about his club allegiance. They risk harming his career with a load of baseless allegations either way. The guy simply can't win.

Good points.

They get details of club allegiance pre-season apparently. So if you aren't going to us that information for game allocation like this why bother asking them. Very clear there is a conflict of interest here whether he tries to be professional or not.
Login to get fewer ads

If the referee is changed on 12:50 - Apr 13 with 2054 viewsJ2BLUE

If the referee is changed on 12:37 - Apr 13 by Asa

It's definitely the EFL's error but he was running his mouth which was very unprofessional.

It really shouldn't be too difficult for the EFL to have put him in charge of a mid table nothing match but that would be too simple.

Truly impaired.

If the referee is changed on 12:52 - Apr 13 with 2005 viewsPhilTWTD

If the referee is changed on 12:50 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

It's definitely the EFL's error but he was running his mouth which was very unprofessional.

It really shouldn't be too difficult for the EFL to have put him in charge of a mid table nothing match but that would be too simple.

To be fair to him, it was Ryan Lowe who made public a private conversation.
If the referee is changed on 12:53 - Apr 13 with 1955 viewsJ2BLUE

If the referee is changed on 12:52 - Apr 13 by PhilTWTD

To be fair to him, it was Ryan Lowe who made public a private conversation.

Telling the Plymouth manager he's a Sheff Wed fan is not very bright though is it? If he had kept his mouth shut there wouldn't be this big controversy now.

Truly impaired.

If the referee is changed on 12:54 - Apr 13 with 1928 viewsLankHenners

If the referee is changed on 12:46 - Apr 13 by Illinoisblue

The ref is certainly in an awkward position, but won’t this open a can of worms if they change it for us? Can’t recall a ref ever being changed before although have heard grumbles from Liverpool fans about a ref (Atwell?) who’s supposedly a Man Utd fan.

Different scale entirely but a match official was changed for the 2006 CL final between Arsenal and Barcelona because he was pictured out and about wearing a Barcelona shirt.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

If the referee is changed on 12:55 - Apr 13 with 1909 viewsAsa

If the referee is changed on 12:53 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

Telling the Plymouth manager he's a Sheff Wed fan is not very bright though is it? If he had kept his mouth shut there wouldn't be this big controversy now.

He's also not telling Lowe anything the EFL don't know about which club he supports.

Who are ultimately the people who have appointed him to this match, putting him in a impossible place.
If the referee is changed on 12:59 - Apr 13 with 1815 viewsAsa

If the referee is changed on 12:54 - Apr 13 by LankHenners

Different scale entirely but a match official was changed for the 2006 CL final between Arsenal and Barcelona because he was pictured out and about wearing a Barcelona shirt.

I did see one Twitter reply saying that players play against the clubs they support so what's the issue.

The point being that Bonne isn't going to deliberately miss against us on Saturday. If he misses a guilt edged chance it's a mistake.

If the referee makes a mistake, he will be hounded relentlessly for what is deemed to be blatant cheating or overcompensating. How the EFL cannot see this is beyond me.
If the referee is changed on 13:00 - Apr 13 with 1804 viewsJ2BLUE

If the referee is changed on 12:55 - Apr 13 by Asa

He's also not telling Lowe anything the EFL don't know about which club he supports.

Who are ultimately the people who have appointed him to this match, putting him in a impossible place.

Not arguing with that but if he had kept quiet who would have known?

He must have known it was a conflict of interest and wasn't going to go down well.

Not arguing that the EFL are mostly to blame though.

Truly impaired.

If the referee is changed on 13:09 - Apr 13 with 1690 viewsAsa

If the referee is changed on 13:00 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

Not arguing with that but if he had kept quiet who would have known?

He must have known it was a conflict of interest and wasn't going to go down well.

Not arguing that the EFL are mostly to blame though.

Yeah the EFL should be grateful to Phil, Stuart Watson, the internet or whoever found out now.

If he'd never said anything to Lowe but mentioned it in the weeks or years to come, or even if one Wednesday fan knew him and mentioned something online or on their forum after the match, you could imagine Town could raise it with the EFL, especially if there was any horrible decision against us (which is pretty much every other week in League One, same with most clubs).

But does seem an extraordinary thing for a ref to confess to a manager, even if they were star struck or something close to that.

Knowing our luck we will now get a new ref, one with the hump that we've dared question the integrity of a fellow ref.
If the referee is changed on 13:19 - Apr 13 with 1578 viewsEwan_Oozami

"Pick up a hamstring"?????

Not a pleasant image, Mr Ham.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

If the referee is changed on 13:27 - Apr 13 with 1508 viewsclive_baker

If the referee is changed on 12:53 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

Wasn't very bright, certainly an error of judgement. I imagine it was small talk and an attempt to build a bit of rapport with him pre match. Sounded like he was massaging his ego a bit in saying he used to watch Lowe when he was playing for the Owls. I imagine most managers would laugh it off and come back with something like 'then you'll know how annoyed I get with sh1t refs' and a little smile. I think it's pretty poor form making it public tbh, it's not his fault who he gets assigned to and it wont be any secret to the authorities where his allegiance lies as it'll have been disclosed. The buck stops with them.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If the referee is changed on 13:34 - Apr 13 with 1436 viewsSwansea_Blue

If the referee is changed on 12:29 - Apr 13 by Illinoisblue

And such a stance would be right wouldn’t it? I can’t imagine a ref would deliberately throw a game because it may be in the interest of a team they support. I’d have thought their training, experience and the standards they’re required to adhere to all override and personal support. It seems a pretty odd request to me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If the referee is changed on 13:46 - Apr 13 with 1308 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If the referee is changed on 13:34 - Apr 13 by Swansea_Blue

And such a stance would be right wouldn’t it? I can’t imagine a ref would deliberately throw a game because it may be in the interest of a team they support. I’d have thought their training, experience and the standards they’re required to adhere to all override and personal support. It seems a pretty odd request to me.

I guess the EFL use the information supplied to keep a referee from refereeing matches directly involving the team they volunteer that they support. There are varying degrees of support and those of us who have a passionate allegiance for our club often have little gripes against or soft spots for other teams. It is very difficult to be sure of complete impartiality from all officials at all times.

However, now that this is in the public domain and Town have made an official request for a change, it should be fairly simple to swap two officials over so one officiating at Cambridge/Lincoln/Milton Keynes takes charge instead. However, what happens when he doesn't send off a Cambridge player who is then available to play against Plymouth when he would have been banned had he sent them off?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

If the referee is changed on 13:50 - Apr 13 with 1282 viewsTractorFrog

We already know he has poor judgement. Nobody forced him to be a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

If the referee is changed on 13:54 - Apr 13 with 1228 viewsITFC_Forever

It has to be changed.... the ref himself and the league, as well as the involved clubs, are all now in an impossible situation.

If there is now a controversial incident, he is open to criticism for being biased against ITFC, or over-compensating.

The easiest thing is to swap with another ref... as long as we don't end up with Stroud or Ward...
[Post edited 13 Apr 2023 14:20]

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

If the referee is changed on 13:57 - Apr 13 with 1196 viewsSwansea_Blue

If the referee is changed on 13:46 - Apr 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

I guess the EFL use the information supplied to keep a referee from refereeing matches directly involving the team they volunteer that they support. There are varying degrees of support and those of us who have a passionate allegiance for our club often have little gripes against or soft spots for other teams. It is very difficult to be sure of complete impartiality from all officials at all times.

However, now that this is in the public domain and Town have made an official request for a change, it should be fairly simple to swap two officials over so one officiating at Cambridge/Lincoln/Milton Keynes takes charge instead. However, what happens when he doesn't send off a Cambridge player who is then available to play against Plymouth when he would have been banned had he sent them off?

Exactly that on your last point. Where does it all end? Possibly with only recruiting officials from Amazonian tribes who’ve never heard of England or football, let alone any of our teams!

I’d prefer a robust disciplinary system to deal with any breaches of standards. This seems to be opening up a can of worms.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If the referee is changed on 14:01 - Apr 13 with 1159 viewsIllinoisblue

If the referee is changed on 13:54 - Apr 13 by ITFC_Forever

It has to be changed.... the ref himself and the league, as well as the involved clubs, are all now in an impossible situation.

If there is now a controversial incident, he is open to criticism for being biased against ITFC, or over-compensating.

The easiest thing is to swap with another ref... as long as we don't end up with Stroud or Ward...
[Post edited 13 Apr 2023 14:20]

Banter era rules dictate that the replacement ref would give a late penalty against us. Imagine the scenes.

62 - 78 - 81

If the referee is changed on 14:04 - Apr 13 with 1110 viewshoppy

If the referee is changed on 13:57 - Apr 13 by Swansea_Blue

Exactly that on your last point. Where does it all end? Possibly with only recruiting officials from Amazonian tribes who’ve never heard of England or football, let alone any of our teams!

I’d prefer a robust disciplinary system to deal with any breaches of standards. This seems to be opening up a can of worms.

The refs expenses and travel fees would be massively high if they're all brought in from Amazonian tribes... you've not thought this through properly.

Unless they're brought in on a Prime delivery I suppose.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024