Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remember when I said he was a Blairite 10:10 - Dec 17 with 2387 viewschicoazul

and you all laughed at me?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:13 - Dec 17 with 1325 viewsGeoffSentence

It is a start. But including a few elected members is not enough. The HoL is fundamentally undemocratic and needs to be completely replaced by an elected chamber.

Actually the further you get through this the less promising it looks. It starts with the idea of elected Lords and ends up with the much more likely outcome of BoJo simply appointing more Tory Peers.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2019 10:17]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:14 - Dec 17 with 1311 viewsBrixtonBlue

We laugh at you every day, you can't expect us to remember all of the reasons!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:16 - Dec 17 with 1292 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:13 - Dec 17 by GeoffSentence

It is a start. But including a few elected members is not enough. The HoL is fundamentally undemocratic and needs to be completely replaced by an elected chamber.

Actually the further you get through this the less promising it looks. It starts with the idea of elected Lords and ends up with the much more likely outcome of BoJo simply appointing more Tory Peers.

So your solution is yet more voting and politicking?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:17 - Dec 17 with 1279 viewsGeoffSentence

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:16 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

So your solution is yet more voting and politicking?

Why yes. Haven't you heard of democracy?

What's your solution?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:22 - Dec 17 with 1245 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:17 - Dec 17 by GeoffSentence

Why yes. Haven't you heard of democracy?

What's your solution?

My solution is this; leave it alone. The point of having an unelected second chamber is precisely *because* they should not be a part of the political system, but apart from it. It means you have a bunch of people in the HoL who are not beholden to anyone including "Boris", Tony Blair et al. And as you have already noticed, "Boris" is seeking to work this change to his political advantage.

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:22 - Dec 17 with 1240 viewsGuthrum

Or to reduce annoying HoL "interference" in Government.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:24 - Dec 17 with 1225 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:22 - Dec 17 by Guthrum

Or to reduce annoying HoL "interference" in Government.

When has that ever happened?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:25 - Dec 17 with 1224 viewsGeoffSentence

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:22 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

My solution is this; leave it alone. The point of having an unelected second chamber is precisely *because* they should not be a part of the political system, but apart from it. It means you have a bunch of people in the HoL who are not beholden to anyone including "Boris", Tony Blair et al. And as you have already noticed, "Boris" is seeking to work this change to his political advantage.

They already are part of the political system because they are appointed by the government of the day. Except of course the 92 hereditary peers who are there by dint of being born into privilege.

No, having a second chamber stuffed full of mates of the PM is not the way to go and doesn't meet the most basic of requirements for a proper democracy.

Login to get fewer ads

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:27 - Dec 17 with 1212 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:25 - Dec 17 by GeoffSentence

They already are part of the political system because they are appointed by the government of the day. Except of course the 92 hereditary peers who are there by dint of being born into privilege.

No, having a second chamber stuffed full of mates of the PM is not the way to go and doesn't meet the most basic of requirements for a proper democracy.

Yes, and that's bad too. The HoL was changed irreversibly by......Tony Blair.

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:32 - Dec 17 with 1201 viewsGuthrum

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:24 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

When has that ever happened?

They get to annoyingly amend or delay any bill which comes before them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:34 - Dec 17 with 1188 viewsPinewoodblue

Looks like you have given us another chance to laugh, although a sympathetic smile might be a better way of putting it, Doubt anyone, except a few but jobs, agrees with you.

The nearest we have seen to a Blairite Tory PM has been David Cameron. Boris Johnson is much further to the righ5.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:35 - Dec 17 with 1184 viewsOldsmoker

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:25 - Dec 17 by GeoffSentence

There's also 26 Bishops as part of the HoL.
Only 25 sitting at present.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:38 - Dec 17 with 1175 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite on 10:34 - Dec 17 by Pinewoodblue

Looks like you have given us another chance to laugh, although a sympathetic smile might be a better way of putting it, Doubt anyone, except a few but jobs, agrees with you.

The nearest we have seen to a Blairite Tory PM has been David Cameron. Boris Johnson is much further to the righ5.

Could you name some right wing things "Boris" has done please? Not what he has said; done.

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:38 - Dec 17 with 1168 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:35 - Dec 17 by Oldsmoker

Britain is still nominally a Christian country.

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:39 - Dec 17 with 1165 viewsPinewoodblue

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:27 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

Yes, and that's bad too. The HoL was changed irreversibly by......Tony Blair.

You trying to get on the TWTD annual awards list as "the poster who keeps giving"?

2023 year of destiny

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:45 - Dec 17 with 1134 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:39 - Dec 17 by Pinewoodblue

You trying to get on the TWTD annual awards list as "the poster who keeps giving"?

"Could you name some right wing things "Boris" has done please? Not what he has said; done."

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:49 - Dec 17 with 1118 viewsPinewoodblue

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:45 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

"Could you name some right wing things "Boris" has done please? Not what he has said; done."

He's done very little so far.

2023 year of destiny

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:49 - Dec 17 with 1115 viewsDanTheMan

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:13 - Dec 17 by GeoffSentence

It is undemocratic.

That's the point though. Why bother replacing it with another chamber of elected people, you might as well not bother?

The only way it could possibly work is that if anyone who stood for it had to be independent but I can't see how that would actually be workable.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:50 - Dec 17 with 1108 viewsSwansea_Blue

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:22 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

I agree. They need to stamp out nepotism/cronyism and put a rigorous selection process in place, ideally via something like an all-party committee structure. They could do with reducing the size and ending hereditary titles too, make it a fixed term appointment. Remove the opportunities for successive PMs to manipulate it, and aim for a broad cross-section of experts rather than has-been career politicians.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:51 - Dec 17 with 1100 viewsBrixtonBlue

He only won the election 4 days ago.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:52 - Dec 17 with 1092 viewsOldsmoker

The starting gun is the Queen speech.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:56 - Dec 17 with 1062 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:49 - Dec 17 by Pinewoodblue

He's done very little so far.

So he has been an MP for many years, Mayor of London for 8 years, and you can't think of a single right wing thing he has done? And yet you say he is "much further to the right" than Blair?

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:58 - Dec 17 with 1056 viewschicoazul

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:51 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

He only won the election 4 days ago.

He has been an MP for years, Mayor of London for years, everyone says he is a nasty horrible right winger chico you great silly, and yet nobody can tell me a single right wing thing he has ever done.

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:59 - Dec 17 with 1052 viewsDanTheMan

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:56 - Dec 17 by chicoazul

So he has been an MP for many years, Mayor of London for 8 years, and you can't think of a single right wing thing he has done? And yet you say he is "much further to the right" than Blair?

The (useless) water cannon is a fairly recent example. Being "tough" on rioters despite it not being even legal to use it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:59 - Dec 17 with 1046 viewsBloomBlue

Remember when I said he was a Blairite (n/t) on 10:35 - Dec 17 by Oldsmoker

Is the 26th Bishop still injured?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024