Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Club are missing a trick 12:20 - Oct 2 with 6932 viewsGuthrum

Given how wildly oversubscribed our away games are, they ought to be putting up a screen in the Fanzone and showing a live feed there (one must exist, as used for iFollow).

There would be a charge for entry, obviously, plus they could sell beer and food. There would probably also be a bit of extra trade at Planet Blue.

Of course not the same as being at the actual game, but I reckon a fair few would come along for the atmosphere of watching together.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Club are missing a trick on 12:24 - Oct 2 with 4035 viewsclive_baker

Do you think? I love an away day, but I'm not sure I would bother going to Portman Road to watch us play on a TV. I know enough people did for the England matches though. Perhaps it's something they could do for the run in if we're looking like going up. The last 2 especially, Doncaster & Shrewsbury are a bit of a trek and a promotion party would be good if we're going to seal it away from PR.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Club are missing a trick on 12:24 - Oct 2 with 4030 viewsMrTown

I'm there would be a good interest in this.

However, I have a feeling there would be some legal restrictions on this from EFL.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 12:24]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

The Club are missing a trick on 12:25 - Oct 2 with 4014 viewsGarv

Would it even be allowed? Basically televising the game?

I don't even think it would entice many to be honest. We've got a good team right now and we're doing amazingly well, but it's still Southend away.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The Club are missing a trick on 12:29 - Oct 2 with 3985 viewsGuthrum

The Club are missing a trick on 12:24 - Oct 2 by MrTown

I'm there would be a good interest in this.

However, I have a feeling there would be some legal restrictions on this from EFL.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 12:24]

The club would obviously have to buy the rights to do that from iFollow (or whoever actually owns them), but would be surprised if the latter weren't also up for a bit of extra commercial income.

All depends if the entry fee could be kept cheap enough to make it an attractive thing to do. Doubt it would reduce numbers wanting tickets for the actual game, especially the closer ones like Southend.

The Club are missing a trick on 12:31 - Oct 2 with 3966 viewsMrTown

The Club are missing a trick on 12:29 - Oct 2 by Guthrum

The club would obviously have to buy the rights to do that from iFollow (or whoever actually owns them), but would be surprised if the latter weren't also up for a bit of extra commercial income.

All depends if the entry fee could be kept cheap enough to make it an attractive thing to do. Doubt it would reduce numbers wanting tickets for the actual game, especially the closer ones like Southend.

Would suspect there would commercial rights purchase and % payment to the EFL.

It would probably get to the point where it isn't cost effective.

Although I like the idea of it.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

The Club are missing a trick on 12:35 - Oct 2 with 3951 viewsGuthrum

The Club are missing a trick on 12:25 - Oct 2 by Garv

Would it even be allowed? Basically televising the game?

I don't even think it would entice many to be honest. We've got a good team right now and we're doing amazingly well, but it's still Southend away.

No, it would be a private showing, with admission fee.

How quickly did the Southend tickets sell out? How many other away games have we sold out this season? How many threads are there on here asking for any spare tickets each away game? Certainly some demand seems to be there.

Heck, I'm driving 50 miles on a Sunday morning to watch us on TV in a pub basement with a bunch of mates.

The Club are missing a trick on 12:41 - Oct 2 with 3908 viewsIllinoisblue

Wasn’t our away game at Newcastle in the early to mid 90s shown at a local cinema in Ipswich? Can’t for the life of me remember why.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 12:42]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Club are missing a trick on 12:56 - Oct 2 with 3788 viewsGarv

The Club are missing a trick on 12:35 - Oct 2 by Guthrum

How quickly did the Southend tickets sell out? How many other away games have we sold out this season? How many threads are there on here asking for any spare tickets each away game? Certainly some demand seems to be there.

Heck, I'm driving 50 miles on a Sunday morning to watch us on TV in a pub basement with a bunch of mates.

Fair. Maybe I'm wrong. It would be interesting to see how many would turn up.

I just think it's a good excuse for people to have a day out (or in a pub basement) with their mates, and it's not far from home. You could argue people could have a day out watching it at PR on a screen, though.

I doubt we'll ever find out.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

The Club are missing a trick on 12:57 - Oct 2 with 3779 viewsWickets

I can remember watching a 2-0 Ipswich win at Norwich some years ago , Wilnis and Bent scored . Live on a big screen at Portman RD .
The Club are missing a trick on 13:08 - Oct 2 with 3710 viewsclive_baker

The Club are missing a trick on 12:57 - Oct 2 by Wickets

I can remember watching a 2-0 Ipswich win at Norwich some years ago , Wilnis and Bent scored . Live on a big screen at Portman RD .

I remember the club doing it for the Charlton playoff semi final 2nd leg. 1998.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Club are missing a trick on 13:17 - Oct 2 with 3632 viewsGuthrum

The Club are missing a trick on 12:56 - Oct 2 by Garv

Fair. Maybe I'm wrong. It would be interesting to see how many would turn up.

I just think it's a good excuse for people to have a day out (or in a pub basement) with their mates, and it's not far from home. You could argue people could have a day out watching it at PR on a screen, though.

I doubt we'll ever find out.

I think it might take a few games to catch on (if it does). Much like the pre-game Fanzone idea itself.

But, as others have said, it may not be economical for the club with the cost of rights.

The Club are missing a trick on 13:19 - Oct 2 with 3621 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 12:35 - Oct 2 by Guthrum

It would mean less iFollow subscribers, so they'd put a stop to it. Everything's ruled by money these days, not what's best for the fans.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Club are missing a trick on 13:41 - Oct 2 with 3487 viewsSpruceMoose

The Club are missing a trick on 12:24 - Oct 2 by clive_baker

Do you think? I love an away day, but I'm not sure I would bother going to Portman Road to watch us play on a TV. I know enough people did for the England matches though. Perhaps it's something they could do for the run in if we're looking like going up. The last 2 especially, Doncaster & Shrewsbury are a bit of a trek and a promotion party would be good if we're going to seal it away from PR.

Too right. It's bad enough in the chat room on here.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Club are missing a trick on 13:44 - Oct 2 with 3460 viewsStokieBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 13:19 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

It would mean less iFollow subscribers, so they'd put a stop to it. Everything's ruled by money these days, not what's best for the fans.

People in the UK "can't" use iFollow anyway so it won't affect the subscribers.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Club are missing a trick on 13:46 - Oct 2 with 3440 viewsfooters

The Club are missing a trick on 13:44 - Oct 2 by StokieBlue

People in the UK "can't" use iFollow anyway so it won't affect the subscribers.

SB

Exactly. But there would likely still be some rights issues, Shirley?

As has been said, would be good for a few games if we're in the running but doubt many would turn out en masse for other games to make it viable.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Club are missing a trick on 13:47 - Oct 2 with 3437 viewsSpruceMoose

Pedantry corner. Fewer, not less.

Carry on!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The Club are missing a trick on 13:56 - Oct 2 with 3381 viewsGuthrum

The Club are missing a trick on 13:46 - Oct 2 by footers

Exactly. But there would likely still be some rights issues, Shirley?

As has been said, would be good for a few games if we're in the running but doubt many would turn out en masse for other games to make it viable.

Yeah, I meant a proper commercial arrangement, not showing some dodgy internet feed with commentary in arabic!
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 13:59]

The Club are missing a trick on 13:59 - Oct 2 with 3365 viewsGuthrum

Not sure if that would be the case (many iFollow subscribers will not be in Ipswich) and that would be offset by the commercial fees charged to show the game, anyway.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:32 - Oct 2 with 3279 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 13:56 - Oct 2 by Guthrum

Yeah, I meant a proper commercial arrangement, not showing some dodgy internet feed with commentary in arabic!
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 13:59]

I was in Spain on holiday once when a major tournament was on, and we saw a bar advertising the England game so went in. We had to wait while the manager set up a dodgy internet stream just as you say!

Takes cheekiness to another level!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Club are missing a trick on 14:34 - Oct 2 with 3265 viewsSpruceMoose

The Club are missing a trick on 14:32 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

I was in Spain on holiday once when a major tournament was on, and we saw a bar advertising the England game so went in. We had to wait while the manager set up a dodgy internet stream just as you say!

Takes cheekiness to another level!

I can remember a well known pub in Ipswich a few years a go regularly deploying the dodgy stream to show games. Pwoper nawty.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:38 - Oct 2 with 3254 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 14:34 - Oct 2 by SpruceMoose

I can remember a well known pub in Ipswich a few years a go regularly deploying the dodgy stream to show games. Pwoper nawty.

It's the fact that this bar was even advertising the match we thought was extra cheeky!

The Club are missing a trick on 14:40 - Oct 2 with 3239 viewsBluespeed225

The Club are missing a trick on 13:08 - Oct 2 by clive_baker

I remember the club doing it for the Charlton playoff semi final 2nd leg. 1998.

They did, I went along to that one. They also showed us at Brighton, last game, 05’ I think. Had it on the screens in the bar in Alf Ramsey stand.
The Club are missing a trick on 18:09 - Oct 2 with 2969 viewsLeaky

Are fans doing away games this season to clock up new grounds that baring cup games they are unlikely to visit again. Hence the scramble for away tickets.
The Club are missing a trick on 18:13 - Oct 2 with 2949 viewsMullet

The Club are missing a trick on 18:09 - Oct 2 by Leaky

Are fans doing away games this season to clock up new grounds that baring cup games they are unlikely to visit again. Hence the scramble for away tickets.

I think there's an element of that but it's also the fact we're going to win this league as it stands, people will want to say they saw the games first hand etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Club are missing a trick on 18:16 - Oct 2 with 2927 viewsPJH

The Club are missing a trick on 18:09 - Oct 2 by Leaky

Certainly not me, I am going to games to see ITFC play.

No doubt a very few might be going for the reason that you suggest though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024