Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Club are missing a trick 12:20 - Oct 2 with 6960 viewsGuthrum

Given how wildly oversubscribed our away games are, they ought to be putting up a screen in the Fanzone and showing a live feed there (one must exist, as used for iFollow).

There would be a charge for entry, obviously, plus they could sell beer and food. There would probably also be a bit of extra trade at Planet Blue.

Of course not the same as being at the actual game, but I reckon a fair few would come along for the atmosphere of watching together.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Club are missing a trick on 18:24 - Oct 2 with 2268 viewsclive_baker

The Club are missing a trick on 18:09 - Oct 2 by Leaky

Are fans doing away games this season to clock up new grounds that baring cup games they are unlikely to visit again. Hence the scramble for away tickets.

I would think there’s an element of that, but also the fact we’re winning matches again and top of the league, that will always encourage people along, especially after a few seasons of not much to shout about. We’re also getting smaller allocations, so they’ll sell out and that forces people to pre book the tickets. In real terms we’ve generally had a good away following in recent seasons, especially anything south of about Nottingham.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Club are missing a trick on 18:36 - Oct 2 with 2248 viewsRozz

The vast majority of our fixtures, being 3pm on a saturday, are not legally able to be broadcast anywhere in the UK (privately or otherwise). This is ironically to get arses off sofas and onto blue seats & generating revenue for the club.

Sky have made a mockery of the 3pm blackout though, with 3 or 4 EPL games Sat 3pm and fixtures most nights of the week instead. Maybe time for a rethink.
The Club are missing a trick on 18:40 - Oct 2 with 2241 viewsFifeITFC

The Club are missing a trick on 12:41 - Oct 2 by Illinoisblue

Wasn’t our away game at Newcastle in the early to mid 90s shown at a local cinema in Ipswich? Can’t for the life of me remember why.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 12:42]

I remember a Newcastle game around 1993 being shown on big screens at Portman Road because Newcastle weren't giving any away tickets because of major building works. Think we did lose 2-0 but remember sitting in the Cobbold freezing my arse off.

If memory serves me right, the game was actually a rearranged game as we had got a couple of corporate tickets from some Newcastle friends and got a short distance from Newcastle before it was postponed due to snow. We ended up going to see Hartlepool play someone.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

The Club are missing a trick on 18:55 - Oct 2 with 2225 viewsdeano85

I like it, surely no different to a pub showing a match from Sky/BT...
Of cause the match would actually have to be on sky or BT...
If it was that easy for other games, you get the impression every club would do it, especially in the EPL
The Club are missing a trick on 19:06 - Oct 2 with 2211 viewswkj

Maybe not fanzone for all of the normal matches, but certainly their hospitality venue.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Club are missing a trick on 19:22 - Oct 2 with 2197 viewsStokieBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 14:32 - Oct 2 by BrixtonBlue

I was in Spain on holiday once when a major tournament was on, and we saw a bar advertising the England game so went in. We had to wait while the manager set up a dodgy internet stream just as you say!

Takes cheekiness to another level!

I can top this....

I was in St. Petersburg and they were advertising the Ipswich inter Milan match. I traveled all the way across a massive city with complaining mouth on tow. Sat down in the bar, saw the teams walk out and then it scrambled.

Full use of my Russian vocabulary I can tell you.

We did get battered though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Club are missing a trick on 19:27 - Oct 2 with 2188 viewsfooters

The Club are missing a trick on 19:22 - Oct 2 by StokieBlue

I can top this....

I was in St. Petersburg and they were advertising the Ipswich inter Milan match. I traveled all the way across a massive city with complaining mouth on tow. Sat down in the bar, saw the teams walk out and then it scrambled.

Full use of my Russian vocabulary I can tell you.

We did get battered though.

SB

"Full use of my Russian vocabulary I can tell you."

So how many beers and bowls of borscht did you end up with?
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 19:28]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Club are missing a trick on 00:51 - Oct 3 with 2135 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 18:13 - Oct 2 by Mullet

I think there's an element of that but it's also the fact we're going to win this league as it stands, people will want to say they saw the games first hand etc.

Interesting that it's now a fact that we're going to win this league. You were saying relegation is a disaster a few weeks ago.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

The Club are missing a trick on 02:07 - Oct 3 with 2127 viewsjeera

The Club are missing a trick on 13:56 - Oct 2 by Guthrum

Yeah, I meant a proper commercial arrangement, not showing some dodgy internet feed with commentary in arabic!
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 13:59]

That's reassuring because not everyone has time to learn Arabic.

It's been suggested before and I can't see what's wrong with the concept at all.

As you say, most of us will make an effort to pop out to a pub to watch Town if we're on TV on occasion, so what's the difference?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Club are missing a trick on 08:20 - Oct 3 with 2067 viewsBackToRussia

The Club are missing a trick on 00:51 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Interesting that it's now a fact that we're going to win this league. You were saying relegation is a disaster a few weeks ago.

Er, those two things aren't close to being exclusive.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The Club are missing a trick on 11:49 - Oct 3 with 2022 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 08:20 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

Er, those two things aren't close to being exclusive.

Not sure by what measure it's been a disaster. And if we do win promotion straight back up, again - not sure how that's a disaster.

A "blip" or "inconvenience" perhaps. But a "disaster"?! Really? Bury and Bolton are disasters.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Club are missing a trick on 12:50 - Oct 3 with 1992 viewsBackToRussia

The Club are missing a trick on 11:49 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Not sure by what measure it's been a disaster. And if we do win promotion straight back up, again - not sure how that's a disaster.

A "blip" or "inconvenience" perhaps. But a "disaster"?! Really? Bury and Bolton are disasters.

Well, we stopped getting given £7 million each year, for a start. It could still mean we are in league 1 for years to come, a level we've not had to compete at for 60 years. It's a bit like calling Brexit a blip or inconvenience.

I've seen you post about this before and am astonished you cannot fathom this. That we may well walk the league does nothing to negate that, as such, relegation was an obvious disaster.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The Club are missing a trick on 12:53 - Oct 3 with 1988 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 12:50 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

Well, we stopped getting given £7 million each year, for a start. It could still mean we are in league 1 for years to come, a level we've not had to compete at for 60 years. It's a bit like calling Brexit a blip or inconvenience.

I've seen you post about this before and am astonished you cannot fathom this. That we may well walk the league does nothing to negate that, as such, relegation was an obvious disaster.

I'm astonished that you still think it's a disaster when I've cited Bury and Bolton as actual disasters.

To equate Ipswich being top of League 1 with Brexit is even more baffling.

I think you've lost the plot frankly, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

The Club are missing a trick on 13:28 - Oct 3 with 1973 viewsBackToRussia

The Club are missing a trick on 12:53 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

I'm astonished that you still think it's a disaster when I've cited Bury and Bolton as actual disasters.

To equate Ipswich being top of League 1 with Brexit is even more baffling.

I think you've lost the plot frankly, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Right, so the only type of disaster in football is either going bust or very nearly going bust? Great logic pal. Yeah, definitely me losing the plot and not you being a bit thick and pedantic.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The Club are missing a trick on 13:39 - Oct 3 with 1963 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The Club are missing a trick on 13:08 - Oct 2 by clive_baker

I remember the club doing it for the Charlton playoff semi final 2nd leg. 1998.

Me too, sat in the top of the Pioneer IIRC, watching on a big screen that was basically lots of smaller screens piled together on the pitch I believe!

Can’t remember exactly how many people were there but it was a few hundred at most I think, and that was for a playoff 2nd leg rather than a standard league match

I don’t think Southend away would get many at all

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The Club are missing a trick on 13:57 - Oct 3 with 1947 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 13:28 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

Right, so the only type of disaster in football is either going bust or very nearly going bust? Great logic pal. Yeah, definitely me losing the plot and not you being a bit thick and pedantic.

Wow, rude and obnoxious as well? Having a different opinion to you doesn't make me think.

I didn't say the ONLY type of disaster in football is going bust or very nearly, either. But you carry on.

I've yet to see anything this season regarding Ipswich that one would describe as a disaster.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:04 - Oct 3 with 1939 viewsBackToRussia

The Club are missing a trick on 13:57 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Wow, rude and obnoxious as well? Having a different opinion to you doesn't make me think.

I didn't say the ONLY type of disaster in football is going bust or very nearly, either. But you carry on.

I've yet to see anything this season regarding Ipswich that one would describe as a disaster.

Is your skull made of concrete? No one is saying this season is a disaster, the disaster was going down a league, losing huge amounts of income, people's jobs at the club being under threat etc. Money is everything in football, the fact that you can't see that between league one and the championship lies a huge financial gulf just shows you basically don't understand football.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:05 - Oct 3 with 1935 viewswkj

The Club are missing a trick on 14:04 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

Is your skull made of concrete? No one is saying this season is a disaster, the disaster was going down a league, losing huge amounts of income, people's jobs at the club being under threat etc. Money is everything in football, the fact that you can't see that between league one and the championship lies a huge financial gulf just shows you basically don't understand football.

I see you've become flavour of the day for Dolly, god speed dear Russia

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Club are missing a trick on 14:09 - Oct 3 with 1928 viewsBackToRussia

The Club are missing a trick on 14:05 - Oct 3 by wkj

I see you've become flavour of the day for Dolly, god speed dear Russia

The words wall, head and beat spring to mind. O well, at least my head isn't responsible for memory so I can recall this cogent debate at a later date.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:10 - Oct 3 with 1927 viewsGuthrum

The Club are missing a trick on 11:49 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

IMO, getting relegated was a disaster. We dropped down to the third tier for the first time in over 60 years. We lost one of our proud boasts over our biggest rival at the very moment they achieved promotion. We took a serious financial hit as a club. We are away at Rochdale on a Tuesday night in November. We imperilled the entire future status of ITFC, risking stagnation in L1 or a plunge to even lower levels and potentially more severe monetary problems.

The fact we have handled that disaster well and are making a good fist of escaping from the situation in which we find ourselves doesn't negate the severity of what happened in May.

We haven't avoided a disaster, we have (so far) done a good job of limiting the damage.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Club are missing a trick on 14:12 - Oct 3 with 1924 viewsBackToRussia

The Club are missing a trick on 14:10 - Oct 3 by Guthrum

IMO, getting relegated was a disaster. We dropped down to the third tier for the first time in over 60 years. We lost one of our proud boasts over our biggest rival at the very moment they achieved promotion. We took a serious financial hit as a club. We are away at Rochdale on a Tuesday night in November. We imperilled the entire future status of ITFC, risking stagnation in L1 or a plunge to even lower levels and potentially more severe monetary problems.

The fact we have handled that disaster well and are making a good fist of escaping from the situation in which we find ourselves doesn't negate the severity of what happened in May.

We haven't avoided a disaster, we have (so far) done a good job of limiting the damage.

Thank you 🙏🙏🙏

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:17 - Oct 3 with 1922 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 14:04 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

Calm down love.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:18 - Oct 3 with 1920 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 14:10 - Oct 3 by Guthrum

All of that's bad, but not what I'd call a disaster.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:19 - Oct 3 with 1916 viewsBackToRussia

The Club are missing a trick on 14:17 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Calm down love.

Good argument.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The Club are missing a trick on 14:24 - Oct 3 with 1909 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Club are missing a trick on 14:19 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

Good argument.

I've already given my argument. Then you got all angry and abusive because you didn't like it.

You and I just have different definitions of what a disaster is. Don't sweat it.

If what happened to us is a disaster, what would you call what happened to Bury and Bolton?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024