Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? 11:25 - Jun 5 with 3400 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I was reading an interesting article on the origin of stars on the shirts of clubs and how they contrast in their meaning.

It got me wondering whether people like the fact we have three stars on our shirt or consider them embarrassing instead?

Liverpool and Manchester United have won something like 75 European and Domestic titles between them and not a single star.

Kilmarnock have one on their shirt to represent a cup win.

Bury and Huddersfield have two and three respectively as a result of trophies they won 75-100 years ago.

We have three, which signify the UEFA Cup, League title and FA Cup, yet plenty of other teams have no stars despite winning the league or cup more than us.

Juventus only have three on their shirt. The same as us. As do Yeovil Town who had one for every 5 years in the football league (seriously).

I assume most people don't care, but if you do have a strong opinion do you love them or loathe them?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 11:27 - Jun 5 with 3383 viewsTractorCam

Ultimately I don't care whether they were there or not, but I don't see what's embarrassing about it. A nice reminder of what we've achieved over time.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 11:28 - Jun 5 with 3372 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 11:27 - Jun 5 by TractorCam

Ultimately I don't care whether they were there or not, but I don't see what's embarrassing about it. A nice reminder of what we've achieved over time.

Agreed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 11:29 - Jun 5 with 3372 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 11:27 - Jun 5 by TractorCam

I feel the same. I don't care what other teams have on theirs, I only tend to look at ours and it's a nice reminder.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 11:34 - Jun 5 with 3354 viewsGuthrum

I like them, as a reminder of Ipswich Town's notable successes. I don't really care what anyone else does, they are for us. Relatively few English clubs can claim any one of those honours since the War, let alone all three.

Particularly as a club without the hinterland or resources of Liverpool, the Manchesters, the big London teams - or even cities the size of Nottingham, Leeds and Leicester.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 12:21 - Jun 5 with 3244 viewsPJH

Not sure why Kilmarnock would have one star and it representing a cup win.
It would make sense if it was for their one League title but they have won the Scottish Cup three times and League Cup once.
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 12:42 - Jun 5 with 3195 viewslinhdi

Wonderful reminder and statement of pride and desire.
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 12:46 - Jun 5 with 3185 viewsGlasgowBlue

I remember when my boy was seven and we first started putting stars on ths shirt and it was an opportunity for me to explain our history, so every time he put on the shirt he was linked to our glorious past.

We need young fans so I'm happy with the stars.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 12:52 - Jun 5 with 3162 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 12:54 - Jun 5 with 3155 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Its all relative and depends on the club, but a wonderful reminder of our illustrious history in itself and also compared to those we may consider rivals or peers.

Not too many clubs of a similar size can reflect on that kind of history or achievement.

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 13:18 - Jun 5 with 3102 viewsGuthrum

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 11:34 - Jun 5 by Guthrum

I like them, as a reminder of Ipswich Town's notable successes. I don't really care what anyone else does, they are for us. Relatively few English clubs can claim any one of those honours since the War, let alone all three.

Particularly as a club without the hinterland or resources of Liverpool, the Manchesters, the big London teams - or even cities the size of Nottingham, Leeds and Leicester.

Some stats - since the Second World War:

Only 17 teams have won the top division of English football (Ipswich Town are one of them)

Only 25 teams have won the FA Cup (Ipswich Town are one of them)

Since its inception in 1971-72, only 5 English teams have won the UEFA Cup/Europa League (Ipswich Town are one of them)

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 13:55 - Jun 5 with 3028 viewsActionMan

When asked by other players about the stars at football training, I always joked that it was our FIFA rating (as we spent close to 20 years as a 3 star rated team on the game) but considering that we're now 2 stars on there my joke has dated itself!

Most people under 40 with no connection to the club have no idea Ipswich have won the league, let alone the FA Cup or have even played in Europe!

I think it's a nice tough to have the stars on the shirt.
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 14:19 - Jun 5 with 2974 viewspoppiesman

Why would it be an embarassment?
We should be proud that our club has won all three of those major trophies in our history.
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 15:17 - Jun 5 with 2883 viewsPendejo

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 13:18 - Jun 5 by Guthrum

Only 17 teams have won the top division of English football (Ipswich Town are one of them)

Since its inception in 1971-72, only 5 English teams have won the UEFA Cup/Europa League (Ipswich Town are one of them)

These are the stats of our lives

Substitute stats for days in this song or at least in the chorus

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 15:55 - Jun 5 with 2830 viewscbower

Should be worn with Pride by fans and players alike - simple as that!

bluescouser

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 16:04 - Jun 5 with 2808 viewsNazemariner

I would prefer if we only had one star to signify our league title.
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 20:43 - Jun 5 with 2594 viewsChocorange

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 13:18 - Jun 5 by Guthrum

That last part would make a good quiz question.

The 5 English teams to win the UEFA/Europa cup/ league.

Am I right in thinking the other 4 are all in the big 5

Tottenham, Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea this season?
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 20:58 - Jun 5 with 2565 viewsTrumptonBlue

There are actually nine stars on our shirts these days.

In Italy, it's an official thing, of course. You're allowed to display one star for every 10 league titles, so Juve have three to mark their 35 league titles. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar rule is introduced over here at some point that would require us to remove them.
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 21:02 - Jun 5 with 2561 viewswkj

Not bothered by them. I think it's a nice touch personally but wouldn't get the arse if they were removed. Not sure why people feel passionately about them either way tbf
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 21:13]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 21:12 - Jun 5 with 2541 viewsNorthstaNder

I quite like them as a reminder of days gone by, but would prefer them elsewhere on the shirt. Perhaps on a sleeve, or on the back near the top (just below the collar?)
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 22:19 - Jun 5 with 2464 viewsRadlett_blue

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 20:43 - Jun 5 by Chocorange

That last part would make a good quiz question.

The 5 English teams to win the UEFA/Europa cup/ league.

Am I right in thinking the other 4 are all in the big 5

Tottenham, Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea this season?

While UEFA don't recognise the Inter-Cities Fairs' Cup, which morphed into the UEFA Cup, it was pretty much the same competition after its early years, when you qualified by having a trade fair in your city. England was represented in the early years by a combined London XI (which actually reached the first final) . I would regard Leeds's 2 wins plus those of Arsenal & Newcastle at a time when English clubs dominated the competition as legitimate major trophies.
Town's win in 1981 was arguably the proudest moment in the club's history (with our best ever team) as with strong representation from the major European leagues plus an extra round, it was arguably a harder trophy to win than the European Cup at the time.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 22:47 - Jun 5 with 2437 viewsPJH

Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 22:19 - Jun 5 by Radlett_blue

While UEFA don't recognise the Inter-Cities Fairs' Cup, which morphed into the UEFA Cup, it was pretty much the same competition after its early years, when you qualified by having a trade fair in your city. England was represented in the early years by a combined London XI (which actually reached the first final) . I would regard Leeds's 2 wins plus those of Arsenal & Newcastle at a time when English clubs dominated the competition as legitimate major trophies.
Town's win in 1981 was arguably the proudest moment in the club's history (with our best ever team) as with strong representation from the major European leagues plus an extra round, it was arguably a harder trophy to win than the European Cup at the time.

Agree, I always see the Inter Cities Fairs Cup of the mid to late 1960's as being the same competition that we won.
I know UEFA does not see it as the same but the UEFA Cup just followed on from it.
Stars on the shirt - Wonderful reminder or Embarassment? on 23:16 - Jun 5 with 2418 viewspatrickswell

I think the stars on the shirt are perfectly fine. I only wish that our recent history gave us more to be enthusiastic about.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024