Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country 08:29 - Apr 24 with 5365 viewsNthQldITFC

...back towards a decent and fairish place to live.

Brazen shoplifting gangs item on R4 just now.
Clogged up justice system.
Experienced coppers disillusioned and gone.
Health services packing up.
Corporate disdain for environmental and human rights responsibilities.
Infrastructure absolutely f**ked.

...it goes on and on and on doesn't it.

Many of us are very well off with big investment portfolios, second homes, three cars, big pensions. We have taken too much and we have to start giving back if we don't want this to spiral down to an utterly dystopian sh!t-hole. Don't instinctively rebel against higher taxation without thinking why it is required.

Please think about society and environment before adding to your personal pile of 'wealth' if you value the thought of a decent future for you and yours and everybody else's.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:32 - Apr 24 with 2567 viewsHelp

Cloth ears some of them
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:34 - Apr 24 with 2545 viewsBuhrer

Many of us are what?! Investment portfolios? Second homes?! Honestly I think you're in some baffling radio 4 bubble. They've got you turning on the spot.

Step away from the media slowly. Put down your phone. Go outside in Suffolk. And breath. Life is beautiful.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:37 - Apr 24 with 2528 viewsgeg1992

"Many of us are very well off with big investment portfolios, second homes, three cars, big pensions."

I don't think Many is the correct word here. But these people should have been taxed a lot more that's for sure.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:38 - Apr 24 with 2505 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sorry not sure I understand....what is this 'society' that you speak of?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:38 - Apr 24 with 2516 viewscbower

Christ, far too many of the electorate hear the Tory line of income tax cuts, wet their knickers and fail to realise you're getting your backside smacked elsewhere and are no better off anyway.
Unfortnately, whilst people want a good health service, education, police, transport etc, they are often more interested in a daily coffee fron Costa, a pricey phone but only use 10% of its functions, and a wardrobe full of clothes they hardly ever wear. And far too many will still secretley vote Tory.

bluescouser

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:39 - Apr 24 with 2512 viewsDubtractor

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:34 - Apr 24 by Buhrer

Many of us are what?! Investment portfolios? Second homes?! Honestly I think you're in some baffling radio 4 bubble. They've got you turning on the spot.

Step away from the media slowly. Put down your phone. Go outside in Suffolk. And breath. Life is beautiful.

You not got an investment portfolio? Peasant!

Joking aside, the general point he/she made is right though, in that without government looking to spend more (probably from tax receipts*) that this country isn't going to get better any time soon.

*obviously lots of debate about who (and how) to tax to get the money.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:39 - Apr 24 with 2515 viewschicoazul

I find this ridiculous. Your solution to our highest levels of taxation since WW2 is….more taxation. You want to give even more money to people who have proven beyond doubt their incompetence.
We need new politicians not new taxation.

And I have no clue where you get the idea that “many” people are well off.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:39 - Apr 24 with 2498 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:34 - Apr 24 by Buhrer

Me neither but that doesn't negate the general point.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:43 - Apr 24 with 2484 viewsNthQldITFC

I didn't point at you, love. Don't get your knickers in a twist, it's a general point. Touchy or what.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:45 - Apr 24 with 2464 viewsNthQldITFC

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:39 - Apr 24 by chicoazul

I find this ridiculous. Your solution to our highest levels of taxation since WW2 is….more taxation. You want to give even more money to people who have proven beyond doubt their incompetence.

See response to buhrer.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:49 - Apr 24 with 2424 viewsDubtractor

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:39 - Apr 24 by chicoazul

Before we do anything else, we need serious people running the country, which we've not had for far too long.

Starmer's lot clearly have their flaws (and I fully appreciate that they disappoint a lot of traditional Labour voters), but I live in hope that they will do a better job of running the country than the current sh1tshow.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:51 - Apr 24 with 2405 viewsBuhrer

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:39 - Apr 24 by Dubtractor

You not got an investment portfolio? Peasant!

Joking aside, the general point he/she made is right though, in that without government looking to spend more (probably from tax receipts*) that this country isn't going to get better any time soon.

*obviously lots of debate about who (and how) to tax to get the money.

I thought it was another post relaying the terror angst and stress the media say is ours to share; all the blame for the failures of humanity and everything is shat and the world is burning and... But its clearly not my fault, and the world likely isnt actually as bad as the hair shirt chest clutchers would make it seem. The fault lies with the elite, and i dont mean forum members, its nothing to do with a prole like me. Massive failure of leadership, what can I do about it? Gardening.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:52 - Apr 24 with 2400 viewsNthQldITFC

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:37 - Apr 24 by geg1992

"Many of us are very well off with big investment portfolios, second homes, three cars, big pensions."

I don't think Many is the correct word here. But these people should have been taxed a lot more that's for sure.

'Many' might be a smallish percentage, but still many. But I take your point. The balance is so far out now and social values have crumbled under a succession of increasingly filthy, kleptomaniac T*ry regimes. The 'many' need to be prepared to give back a lot more - but the mere hint of that sure does trigger some, doesn't it.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:56 - Apr 24 with 2380 viewsBuhrer

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:43 - Apr 24 by NthQldITFC

I didn't point at you, love. Don't get your knickers in a twist, it's a general point. Touchy or what.

When you posted on a public forum "we're all going..." I thought your point was touching my knickers. My mistake x
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:56 - Apr 24 with 2372 viewschicoazul

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:45 - Apr 24 by NthQldITFC

See response to buhrer.

Why do you want to give *more* money to a class of people who have already proven they don’t know how to use it? The most hopeless political class since 1914?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:56 - Apr 24 with 2375 viewsDubtractor

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:51 - Apr 24 by Buhrer

I thought it was another post relaying the terror angst and stress the media say is ours to share; all the blame for the failures of humanity and everything is shat and the world is burning and... But its clearly not my fault, and the world likely isnt actually as bad as the hair shirt chest clutchers would make it seem. The fault lies with the elite, and i dont mean forum members, its nothing to do with a prole like me. Massive failure of leadership, what can I do about it? Gardening.

Gardening is great isn't it? A few hours pottering outside can put everything else into perspective.

And I agree that things aren't always as bad as presented in the media, though do wonder whether I'm a bit sheltered in my nice house and garden, with decent salary and general life security.

It’s OK, new government by the end of the year…. on 08:57 - Apr 24 with 2366 viewsBloots

….they’ll get it all sorted.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:58 - Apr 24 with 2358 viewsNthQldITFC

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:56 - Apr 24 by chicoazul

Why do you want to give *more* money to a class of people who have already proven they don’t know how to use it? The most hopeless political class since 1914?

Are all politicians clones of these T*ry scumbags then? I didn't know that. Do you favour no government at all?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:06 - Apr 24 with 2304 viewschicoazul

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:58 - Apr 24 by NthQldITFC

Are all politicians clones of these T*ry scumbags then? I didn't know that. Do you favour no government at all?

You’re not agitating for a change of government, you want higher taxation & for people to shut ip and take the medicine. Haven’t you learnt anything from the last couple decades? It won’t be the 1% paying for what you want regardless of a blue or a red team behind the door.
Very difficult to get past your “many” comment. All those teachers nurses and shop workers with huge Vanguard funds class 1 Berkshire Hathaway shares and second homes in Cornwall.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:11 - Apr 24 with 2278 viewsNthQldITFC

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:06 - Apr 24 by chicoazul

You’re not agitating for a change of government, you want higher taxation & for people to shut ip and take the medicine. Haven’t you learnt anything from the last couple decades? It won’t be the 1% paying for what you want regardless of a blue or a red team behind the door.
Very difficult to get past your “many” comment. All those teachers nurses and shop workers with huge Vanguard funds class 1 Berkshire Hathaway shares and second homes in Cornwall.

It was intended as a more general point about redistribution of wealth. I hope you can understand that.

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:27 - Apr 24 with 2210 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:06 - Apr 24 by chicoazul

I’d say it’s as much a generational divide as anything. Anyone my age is struggling to pay a mortgage (and will probably never pay it off before I’m carted off in a box and the bank take the house). Meanwhile those 50+ were gifted discounted houses for a fiver courtesy of the taxpayer subsidies, leaving enough for that holiday home in Cyprus, and an obscenely large SUV.

Oh well, I best chip in that 2k I have in a low interest ISA so we can spaff it on lucrative contracts for MP’s next door neighbours.

Hopefully we’ll have some grown ups in charge at some point - but we are doomed to get the least worst option without PR.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:57 - Apr 24 with 2117 viewsSwansea_Blue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 09:27 - Apr 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I’d say it’s as much a generational divide as anything. Anyone my age is struggling to pay a mortgage (and will probably never pay it off before I’m carted off in a box and the bank take the house). Meanwhile those 50+ were gifted discounted houses for a fiver courtesy of the taxpayer subsidies, leaving enough for that holiday home in Cyprus, and an obscenely large SUV.

Oh well, I best chip in that 2k I have in a low interest ISA so we can spaff it on lucrative contracts for MP’s next door neighbours.

Hopefully we’ll have some grown ups in charge at some point - but we are doomed to get the least worst option without PR.

You need to cut down on the avocados ;)

The property market is quite a different place now compared to when I entered. My first house in 2020 was about 3 times my salary, which was was a typical average salary back then of about £18-19k.

Now the UK average first time house price is £302K (2022) and that rises to £518k in London. Meanwhile average salaries are what, about £34k? So that 'average' UK first time house is now nearer 9x the average salary.

Bonkers. I'd do more about second homes, but I'm not sure it's as straight forward as it seems. Many rural areas have little left but tourism and the rentals have taken over from hotels. Lose the rentals and although we'd free up housing stock, there'd be fewer job opportunities in those areas if the tourism died off, so people still wouldn't be able to afford them. Maybe restrict rental ownership to local people, but that's getting a bit authoritarian. It's the London-living barristers and rental companies buying up rural stock that are the ones sucking money out of the regions. When the properties are in local ownership, I don't think that has such a negative effect as the money stays in the community (and the community stays together better). I could well be wrong though, given that I've only got one house.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:03 - Apr 24 with 2096 viewsEuropablue

Higher taxation is only legitimate when you can trust that it is going to be well-directed.
Unfortunately, we have set up a society where individual rights always trump collective needs. Every single minority wants their voice to be heard and worse they want others to fund their priorities. The ultimate minority is the individual, and until there is a cultural shift towards family and community over the self, every civilization is doomed.
We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:05 - Apr 24 with 2077 viewsnoggin

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 10:11 - Apr 24 with 2041 viewsEuropablue

We're all going to have to make some selfless sacrifices to get this country on 08:49 - Apr 24 by Dubtractor

Before we do anything else, we need serious people running the country, which we've not had for far too long.

Starmer's lot clearly have their flaws (and I fully appreciate that they disappoint a lot of traditional Labour voters), but I live in hope that they will do a better job of running the country than the current sh1tshow.

Even if Labour make things worse, if it forces the Conservatives to reconfigure themselves around traditional values and they actually follow through on the promise of Brexit to listen to what working class people (but just the majority of people in general) care about, England would be a much better place to live.
The dystopian possibility is that the SNP take charge and do away with any kind of free speech or women's rights and mess up public services and the economy to boot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024