Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Struggled physically today 17:41 - Apr 6 with 1710 viewsSomethingBlue

Before this weekend I'd have taken finishing it ahead of Leeds in any shape or form so, in that regard, all OK. We have work to do though if we're to get the required results against Watford & Boro sides that are both in their best form of the season. Today was a rare one where we've really lacked physically – you could sense after a minute or two that Norwich were sharper to the tackle and that never really changed for 95 minutes. We were a yard off it and didn't really manage to form any connections anywhere on the pitch. It looked like one match too many after a draining week or so – a few of the guys out there clearly struggling and we could really do with Hirst & Burns being ready to make a big impact in the last three games.

Tuanzebe incident – never a foul in a million years – clearly upped the ante around the place and I can see why McKenna pointed to it, but pretty certain he knows that was an off day all round and we didn't help ourselves in the next 10 minutes by inviting the ref to give free-kicks in silly areas.

Thought Morsy and Luongo were swamped in there, Morsy in particular had perhaps the worst game I've seen from him at Town until the last 15 or so when he started to influence things. Didn't help us bring others into the game. Silver lining that he didn't get booked when he absolutely should have.

Fortunately it can't be marked down as a disaster but you do sense it's going to take an extraordinary effort from here. It's probably a good thing that Watford is on Weds rather than Tues for the extra day's recovery. Big high on Monday, significant low today, probably more of both to come in the next four weeks, on we go.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Struggled physically today on 17:55 - Apr 6 with 1611 viewsle2blue

I enjoy reading your summaries, and slightly pessimistic, or maybe realistic, view on things to help us all stay grounded.

Disappointing game today and you're right that Morsy was definitely off his usual high standards, I also thought that playing it up to Kiefer without the runners going ahead of him played into Norwich's hands and meant we were ineffective going forwards. Thought we really missed Wes today and that Omari didnt seem up for the fight.

Not only is it good that Watford game is on Wednesday for recovery, it will also mean that Ramadan has ended and Morsy and Ali will be able to fuel more normally. The good thing about McKenna's team is that they've been excellent at bouncing back into winnings runs, lets hope that continues.
Struggled physically today on 17:57 - Apr 6 with 1571 viewsLankHenners

Understandable why he doesn't want to make much of it but wouldn't surprise me at all if the 'illness in the camp' is hitting more than a few people pretty hard. Hopefully the extra day gives some a chance to shake it off.

Two home games back to back is a really good way to put disappointment behind and move on - as you say they're both playing really well, 'Boro in particular, Watford still have this strange Jekyll/Hyde nature about them, but I'd back us at PR against anybody.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Struggled physically today on 18:02 - Apr 6 with 1504 viewsEastTownBlue

Struggled physically today on 17:57 - Apr 6 by LankHenners

Understandable why he doesn't want to make much of it but wouldn't surprise me at all if the 'illness in the camp' is hitting more than a few people pretty hard. Hopefully the extra day gives some a chance to shake it off.

Two home games back to back is a really good way to put disappointment behind and move on - as you say they're both playing really well, 'Boro in particular, Watford still have this strange Jekyll/Hyde nature about them, but I'd back us at PR against anybody.

In addition to that, perhaps in the end the enforced two week break before the final three games will be helpful in terms of rest and seeing the return of Hirst and Burns ?
Struggled physically today on 18:04 - Apr 6 with 1481 viewstextbackup

SM’s worse game by some way for me today.

Fumbled the ball, loose passes, caught the wrong side a couple of occasions. Very unlike him

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Struggled physically today on 18:04 - Apr 6 with 1478 viewsgringoblue

I thought the first 25 minutes was good, without ever really threatening. Omari got in some good positions (and was also not picked out a couple of times) but wasn't really positive enough, as though he didn't think he could beat the full back. We also had some really promising breaks (Broady, Chaplin, Luongo) where Norwich players committed cynical fouls and were not booked for it. After the Tuanzebe incident we really struggled, until the subs came on.
Struggled physically today on 18:05 - Apr 6 with 1455 viewsITFCSG

Struggled physically today on 18:02 - Apr 6 by EastTownBlue

In addition to that, perhaps in the end the enforced two week break before the final three games will be helpful in terms of rest and seeing the return of Hirst and Burns ?

If Hirst and Burns start they have to be 'plug-and-play' ready, no point throwing them on the pitch like Moore today if still unfit or lacking match fitness
Struggled physically today on 18:11 - Apr 6 with 1356 viewsSitfcB

Struggled physically today on 18:04 - Apr 6 by textbackup

SM’s worse game by some way for me today.

Fumbled the ball, loose passes, caught the wrong side a couple of occasions. Very unlike him

Think the players were playing the occasion and not the game, got to them a bit maybe, nervous. A shame but it’s done now. F’king sh!t.

Roll on Wednesday.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Struggled physically today on 18:11 - Apr 6 with 1355 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Struggled physically today on 18:04 - Apr 6 by gringoblue

I thought the first 25 minutes was good, without ever really threatening. Omari got in some good positions (and was also not picked out a couple of times) but wasn't really positive enough, as though he didn't think he could beat the full back. We also had some really promising breaks (Broady, Chaplin, Luongo) where Norwich players committed cynical fouls and were not booked for it. After the Tuanzebe incident we really struggled, until the subs came on.

"not picked out a couple of times" .....he spent a lot of the time with his hand in the air in acres of space, two quick passes and he would have been on the front foot, we were too slow getting the ball out to him. Frustrating!
Login to get fewer ads

Struggled physically today on 18:14 - Apr 6 with 1316 viewsChurchman

Struggled physically today on 17:55 - Apr 6 by le2blue

I enjoy reading your summaries, and slightly pessimistic, or maybe realistic, view on things to help us all stay grounded.

Disappointing game today and you're right that Morsy was definitely off his usual high standards, I also thought that playing it up to Kiefer without the runners going ahead of him played into Norwich's hands and meant we were ineffective going forwards. Thought we really missed Wes today and that Omari didnt seem up for the fight.

Not only is it good that Watford game is on Wednesday for recovery, it will also mean that Ramadan has ended and Morsy and Ali will be able to fuel more normally. The good thing about McKenna's team is that they've been excellent at bouncing back into winnings runs, lets hope that continues.

I don’t think it should be underestimated how much the games at Blackburn and Mondays monumental effort took out of them physically and mentally. Especially Monday.

Before Easter, would I have taken six points from nine given the opposition? Actually yes. I hoped we’d be within a game of top two after these three tough games and we are.

I’m not just trying to make myself feel better about today’s game (which I am), I genuinely hoped for that.

Top two requires a Herculean effort. But it’s there for us to give it a real go.
Struggled physically today on 18:14 - Apr 6 with 1305 viewsbluefunk

Re Morsy, that’s the second game in a row where we’ve been dominated in midfield for large parts of the game. Luongos lack of the pace to get away from tackles when he wins them has been really evident this week and meant we really didn’t get going until Taylor’s addition, which also helped Morsy. I really didn’t expect to see Luongo start today.
Struggled physically today on 18:18 - Apr 6 with 1241 viewsGlasgowBlue

I thought that this was the day for a three man midfield. Morsy and Travis holding with Taylor slightly forward.

I know it sounds strange to change a formation that has served us so well but we are now entering tournament type football.
[Post edited 6 Apr 18:26]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Struggled physically today on 18:21 - Apr 6 with 1208 viewsNthQldITFC

Struggled physically today on 18:11 - Apr 6 by SitfcB

Think the players were playing the occasion and not the game, got to them a bit maybe, nervous. A shame but it’s done now. F’king sh!t.

Roll on Wednesday.

That seems so unlike our lads that I'm thinking this illness thing is or has been fairly significant.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Struggled physically today on 18:22 - Apr 6 with 1192 viewspointofblue

Struggled physically today on 18:18 - Apr 6 by GlasgowBlue

I thought that this was the day for a three man midfield. Morsy and Travis holding with Taylor slightly forward.

I know it sounds strange to change a formation that has served us so well but we are now entering tournament type football.
[Post edited 6 Apr 18:26]

There's been warnings of our midfield being dominated over the past few games. There's another thread where there is split opinion, understandably, but I'd be tempted to switch to a wing back system for the Watford game and play with Morsy, Travis and Taylor in the middle.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Struggled physically today on 18:24 - Apr 6 with 1174 viewsDubtractor

Struggled physically today on 18:14 - Apr 6 by bluefunk

Re Morsy, that’s the second game in a row where we’ve been dominated in midfield for large parts of the game. Luongos lack of the pace to get away from tackles when he wins them has been really evident this week and meant we really didn’t get going until Taylor’s addition, which also helped Morsy. I really didn’t expect to see Luongo start today.

Luongo hasn't been as effective since the turn of the year has he? Struggled a bit today, and also against Southampton on Monday.

Not playing badly by any means, but him and Morsy have bossed games for us and that's not been the case as much recently.

Will be interesting to see if Taylor gets a start on Wednesday.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Struggled physically today on 18:24 - Apr 6 with 1167 viewsRyorry

Thought it was a laboured and tired performance for the most part by Ryorry 6 Apr 15:35
Most people also seem to have forgotten that we still have illness in the camp. No surprise if, given also the injuries and absence of Williams, plus number of games recently, we’re lacking in sharpness and energy both physical and mental.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Struggled physically today on 18:30 - Apr 6 with 1090 viewsGlasgowBlue

Struggled physically today on 18:22 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

There's been warnings of our midfield being dominated over the past few games. There's another thread where there is split opinion, understandably, but I'd be tempted to switch to a wing back system for the Watford game and play with Morsy, Travis and Taylor in the middle.

I suggested a wing back system for certain games at various times of the season.Sometimes I think we need to mix it up and give the opposition something different to think about.

W are now in a mini tournament of five games and maybe we should approach each team differently, rather than stick to a rigid formation. no matter how successful that formation has been.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Struggled physically today on 19:59 - Apr 6 with 722 viewsFrimleyBlue

Struggled physically today on 18:14 - Apr 6 by Churchman

I don’t think it should be underestimated how much the games at Blackburn and Mondays monumental effort took out of them physically and mentally. Especially Monday.

Before Easter, would I have taken six points from nine given the opposition? Actually yes. I hoped we’d be within a game of top two after these three tough games and we are.

I’m not just trying to make myself feel better about today’s game (which I am), I genuinely hoped for that.

Top two requires a Herculean effort. But it’s there for us to give it a real go.

I think it's a reminder that we are in the championship. One of the hardest leagues to get out of ( in the right direction anyway) and we've just lost only our 6th game of the season.

The fact is what 8 out of 10 seasons we wouldn't be sitting with 5 games left praying we win everyone. You expect a draw. A loss. Etc winning champ games in a few is a massive achievement.

Take away parachute payments etc etc. And just focusing on the football and games left.. who ever finishes 2nd has had a brilliant final 5 games.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Struggled physically today on 20:08 - Apr 6 with 669 viewsNthQldITFC

Struggled physically today on 18:22 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

I can certainly see the logic of it, but I'm more persuaded by the argument of "don't change a winning (usually) system". You could maybe play Harness as a deeper version of Broadhead earlier in games, leaving the wing more to Leif, and with Chappers a little more central.

Or play Taylor instead of Chaplin as a hybrid 8/10 (I believe that's the terminology!)
[Post edited 6 Apr 20:09]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024