Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
hope 15:17 - Mar 21 with 2836 viewsgiant_stow

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

hope on 15:21 - Mar 21 with 2541 viewsNthQldITFC

Gods, I hope Emily is right. It's what we need, no question.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

hope on 15:27 - Mar 21 with 2510 viewsZx1988

Very interesting to see this, especially after the couple of videos that Andrew Marr has done for the New Statesman, that I highlighted a few weeks back:

Can it just be a coincidence that commentators with a heck of a lot of knowledge of things are starting to suggest that the reality of a Labour government may well be (positively) very different to what is being offered?

There's a part of me (the red-tinted glasses part, admittedly) that really wonders if Labour are saying what needs to be said to the public at large in order to ensure election (fearful of the kind of backlash that met Corbyn if they try to be too radical) but, at the same time, are using certain channels such as the New Statesman and Maitlis' podcast to paint a slightly different picture to the subset of voters who are a little more switched on, know what's really required and expected of a Labour government, and won't be scared off by radical ideas.
[Post edited 21 Mar 15:30]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

hope on 15:40 - Mar 21 with 2418 viewsBuhrer

Red Jam tomorrow?
hope on 17:00 - Mar 21 with 2234 viewsSwansea_Blue

hope on 15:27 - Mar 21 by Zx1988

Very interesting to see this, especially after the couple of videos that Andrew Marr has done for the New Statesman, that I highlighted a few weeks back:

Can it just be a coincidence that commentators with a heck of a lot of knowledge of things are starting to suggest that the reality of a Labour government may well be (positively) very different to what is being offered?

There's a part of me (the red-tinted glasses part, admittedly) that really wonders if Labour are saying what needs to be said to the public at large in order to ensure election (fearful of the kind of backlash that met Corbyn if they try to be too radical) but, at the same time, are using certain channels such as the New Statesman and Maitlis' podcast to paint a slightly different picture to the subset of voters who are a little more switched on, know what's really required and expected of a Labour government, and won't be scared off by radical ideas.

It suppose it can just be a coincidence, because they’re trying to fill screen time and Labour are giving them nothing to work with. The consistent thread running through the media is that they’re all speculating.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

hope on 17:50 - Mar 21 with 2108 viewsfactual_blue

Well, one of the earliest acts of the Atlee government was to execute an American-born right wing writer and broadcaster for treason.

Can you think of anybody these days to whom that description could be applied?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

hope on 18:11 - Mar 21 with 2044 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Got as far as the mention of "globalisation" which I'm told is antisemitic so had to dismiss it all without listening.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

hope on 19:15 - Mar 21 with 1930 viewsGlasgowBlue

hope on 18:11 - Mar 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Got as far as the mention of "globalisation" which I'm told is antisemitic so had to dismiss it all without listening.

Globalist. But you were close.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

hope on 19:48 - Mar 21 with 1862 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

hope on 17:00 - Mar 21 by Swansea_Blue

It suppose it can just be a coincidence, because they’re trying to fill screen time and Labour are giving them nothing to work with. The consistent thread running through the media is that they’re all speculating.

I agree with you - businesses are not expecting anything remotely radical, hence the FTSE100 has hit very close to it’s record high today (albeit the FTSE250 is a better indicator of UK rather than global sentiment).

Nonetheless still ‘radical’ enough to attract criticism:-

https://www.cityam.com/lets-be-honest-labours-securonomics-will-make-the-uk-econ

Very much expect Starmer to be a vanilla candidate- but minus the corruption, callousness
, and incompetence would be a fantastic improvement!
Login to get fewer ads

hope on 20:12 - Mar 21 with 1809 viewsBent_double

hope on 17:50 - Mar 21 by factual_blue

Well, one of the earliest acts of the Atlee government was to execute an American-born right wing writer and broadcaster for treason.

Can you think of anybody these days to whom that description could be applied?

Now you're really getting our hopes up

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

hope on 20:32 - Mar 21 with 1763 viewsfactual_blue

hope on 20:12 - Mar 21 by Bent_double

Now you're really getting our hopes up

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

hope on 20:47 - Mar 21 with 1738 viewsDJR

What complete and utter nonsense.

For my own part, I think Stephen Flynn was much nearer the truth at PMQs yesterday.

[Post edited 21 Mar 20:54]
hope on 21:07 - Mar 21 with 1677 viewsBlueBadger

hope on 19:15 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

I enjoyed the whole thing earlier where taking the piss out of antisemitic conspiracy loons is now officilly antisemitic.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

hope on 21:32 - Mar 21 with 1559 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

hope on 19:15 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

The drivers and beneficiaries of globalisation...surely interconnected?

hope on 21:35 - Mar 21 with 1542 viewsGlasgowBlue

hope on 21:32 - Mar 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

The drivers and beneficiaries of globalisation...surely interconnected?

Go away and do your homework then submit your findings again.

Iron Lion Zion

hope on 21:45 - Mar 21 with 1498 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

hope on 21:35 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Homework done...
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/globalist
...so the likes of Tony Blair etc...but apparently now a word that must not be uttered. Very definitely not the Internationale.
So essentially globalist, globalism....deriving from global....neither antisemitic.

hope on 21:53 - Mar 21 with 1441 viewsNthQldITFC

hope on 21:35 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

I have no real idea about the history and, from what you're saying, the clearly loaded meaning (as far as you and others are concerned) behind that term but it really shouldn't mean anything beyond something like 'one who believes in an unchecked worldwide arena in an economic or a political sense', as far as I'm concerned. It should have nothing to do with any subgroup defined on any other basis.

I appreciate that it does carry that meaning to some though, and it therefore makes it a bit taboo to use, but that sort of (voluntary or involuntary) corruption of the language makes it bloody hard to have an emotionless and constructive conversation. It's a bit like the way everybody calls anybody who fights against them a terrorist these days (that's not meant to be an inflammatory comment, btw., just the best example I can think of.)

Not intended as a criticism of anyone in this argument, just bloody frustration at the undermining of language when it can have such a critical effect on getting on with one another and also things like saving the world!

hope on 22:05 - Mar 21 with 1366 viewsGlasgowBlue

hope on 21:45 - Mar 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Homework done...
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/globalist
...so the likes of Tony Blair etc...but apparently now a word that must not be uttered. Very definitely not the Internationale.
So essentially globalist, globalism....deriving from global....neither antisemitic.

Translate Hate

globalist
noun 'glōbəlist

: a person who advocates the interpretation or planning of economic and foreign policy in relation to events and developments throughout the world

WHEN IT’S ANTISEMITIC:
Much like dual loyalty, globalist is used to promote the antisemitic conspiracy that Jewish people do not have allegiance to their countries of origin, like the United States, but to some worldwide order—like a global economy or international political system—that will enhance their control over the world’s banks, governments, and media (see control).

The idea of a Jewish globalist was embedded in the core ideology of Nazism. Hitler often portrayed Jews as “international elements” who “conduct their business everywhere,” posing a threat to all people who are “bounded to their soil, to the Fatherland.”

Today, globalist is a coded word for Jews who are seen as international elites conspiring to weaken or dismantle “Western” society using their international connections and control over big corporations (see New World Order)—all echoing the destructive theory that Jews hold greed and tribe above country.

This has been done before, Same people same replies.

No more mention of globalism/globalists please. by BanksterDebtSlave 20 Oct 2022 23:43
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/20/jewish-groups-criticise-nigel-farage-for-calling-grant-shapps-globalist

"Marie van der Zyl, the president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said: “Antisemitism experts such as the Anti Defamation League identify ‘globalist’ as a common antisemitic trope based on conspiracy theories about international Jewish power. Politicians should avoid using the term, particularly when referring specifically to Jewish individuals.”

Now I agree that Farage could do with shutting up but this is getting ridiculous isn't it?!

Shall we do Cultural Marxism next? Well there's nothing wrong with culture or Marxism eh?

Iron Lion Zion

hope on 22:22 - Mar 21 with 1309 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

hope on 22:05 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Translate Hate

globalist
noun 'glōbəlist

: a person who advocates the interpretation or planning of economic and foreign policy in relation to events and developments throughout the world

WHEN IT’S ANTISEMITIC:
Much like dual loyalty, globalist is used to promote the antisemitic conspiracy that Jewish people do not have allegiance to their countries of origin, like the United States, but to some worldwide order—like a global economy or international political system—that will enhance their control over the world’s banks, governments, and media (see control).

The idea of a Jewish globalist was embedded in the core ideology of Nazism. Hitler often portrayed Jews as “international elements” who “conduct their business everywhere,” posing a threat to all people who are “bounded to their soil, to the Fatherland.”

Today, globalist is a coded word for Jews who are seen as international elites conspiring to weaken or dismantle “Western” society using their international connections and control over big corporations (see New World Order)—all echoing the destructive theory that Jews hold greed and tribe above country.

No more mention of globalism/globalists please. by BanksterDebtSlave 20 Oct 2022 23:43
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/20/jewish-groups-criticise-nigel-farage-for-calling-grant-shapps-globalist

"Marie van der Zyl, the president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said: “Antisemitism experts such as the Anti Defamation League identify ‘globalist’ as a common antisemitic trope based on conspiracy theories about international Jewish power. Politicians should avoid using the term, particularly when referring specifically to Jewish individuals.”

Now I agree that Farage could do with shutting up but this is getting ridiculous isn't it?!

Shall we do Cultural Marxism next? Well there's nothing wrong with culture or Marxism eh?

A long winded way of saying you're wrong!
Context and who says it maybe but not the word itself.

hope on 22:27 - Mar 21 with 1288 viewsGlasgowBlue

hope on 22:22 - Mar 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

A long winded way of saying you're wrong!
Context and who says it maybe but not the word itself.

If you say so mate. In the made up conversation in your head I definitely said the word was antisemitic regardless of the context.

Oh no I didn't. I even linked the examples of context. I'll leave you to reply to the same post two or three times when a new light bulb comes on in your head as per.

Iron Lion Zion

hope on 22:50 - Mar 21 with 1231 viewsNthQldITFC

hope on 22:05 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Translate Hate

globalist
noun 'glōbəlist

WHEN IT’S ANTISEMITIC:

So what is an acceptable general term for people who are ideologically committed to an open worldwide economic marketplace, with little to no consideration for local or environmental issues? People like those in charge of all international corporations, whether they be Western, Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, Indian or of any other origin?

hope on 00:07 - Mar 22 with 1138 viewsBugs

You don't purge the left of the Labour Party out of the Labour Party before doing something radical. Unless the radical you're planing is more of the same with a different neoliberal name. ALL the fairly timid promises Starmer made to the Labour Party to get him self elected leader have been broken.

It's BS to keep anyone left of Thatcher in the party onside. And hopefully keep some of the left leaning electorate voting for them. Even before Corbyn, the party membership is far more to the left than the parliamentary party. But without that more left leaning membership, labour won't have the boots on the ground come election time. Give them some hope for change to keep them hopeful, from unofficial sources, of course.

There will be no major shifts of policy when labour wins the next election (IE an actual policy that fixes the housing crises, rather than tinkering around the edges), but there will be a resurgent far right as labour do begger all to fix the underlying problems with the county.

God, I hope I'm wrong. But all the evidence so far says I'm not. We will have a more competent government. But make no mistake, it will be a government of Thatcherites, that believe in the same ideology that got us in this mess in the first place.
hope on 07:39 - Mar 22 with 938 viewsDJR

For my own part, I think that Marr, and Jon Sopel and Emily Maitlis of the Newsagents podcast, are Blairite centrists who, freed from the shackles of the BBC, are keen too promote a fellow traveller in Starmer.

As it is, it's all a bit cosy when it comes to the establishment, with Nick Robinson, Emily Maitlis, Jon Sopel, and Adam Boulton all guests at George Osborne's wedding.
[Post edited 22 Mar 7:46]
hope on 07:58 - Mar 22 with 879 viewsBlueRaider

It is not a good reflection of democracy if a party says one thing to get elected and then does something else entirely (they all do it of course)

Our democracy really is broken in that a sizeable chunk of the population vote against the party they don't want rather than the one that they do

I'm increasingly convinced that we need to go to PR, it means we can vote more positively, and it will be good for all the parties (even the tories) eventually as their fringes can split off and leave us with parties who can work together in a mature way.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

hope on 10:56 - Mar 22 with 777 viewsgiant_stow

hope on 20:47 - Mar 21 by DJR

What complete and utter nonsense.

For my own part, I think Stephen Flynn was much nearer the truth at PMQs yesterday.

[Post edited 21 Mar 20:54]

That's a pretty strong reaction!

At this point, who really knows what's going to pan out (and that is a problem), but I'm a little unimpressed watching two failing incumbent parties arguing like bald men over a comb.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

hope on 11:00 - Mar 22 with 765 viewsgiant_stow

hope on 00:07 - Mar 22 by Bugs

You don't purge the left of the Labour Party out of the Labour Party before doing something radical. Unless the radical you're planing is more of the same with a different neoliberal name. ALL the fairly timid promises Starmer made to the Labour Party to get him self elected leader have been broken.

It's BS to keep anyone left of Thatcher in the party onside. And hopefully keep some of the left leaning electorate voting for them. Even before Corbyn, the party membership is far more to the left than the parliamentary party. But without that more left leaning membership, labour won't have the boots on the ground come election time. Give them some hope for change to keep them hopeful, from unofficial sources, of course.

There will be no major shifts of policy when labour wins the next election (IE an actual policy that fixes the housing crises, rather than tinkering around the edges), but there will be a resurgent far right as labour do begger all to fix the underlying problems with the county.

God, I hope I'm wrong. But all the evidence so far says I'm not. We will have a more competent government. But make no mistake, it will be a government of Thatcherites, that believe in the same ideology that got us in this mess in the first place.

Just purely guessing, I wonder whether you've partially hit it there: that radical change may be coming, but it won't necessarily be definable as either left or right (or centre)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024